• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

cj_iwakura

The story picks up after
the Amami Float
but the story isn't that great tbh. Still decent and the game as a whole is good though.

I think the story is best summarized as undeveloped. It has some great ideas, and an awesome setting, but too many hooks are short-lived, especially the antagonists.

From what I've played of Devil Summoner 1(the precursor to Soul Hackers), it has much less dialogue, but a much stronger plot.

I don't remember the name, but it was the one if you follow the left path. I assume it
affects the final boss somehow
?

Yep, that would be Tiamat. Your final boss will be weak(er) to physical and dealing out magic damage. Megido should still do nice damage though, it did in my game.

Caelestis

Yep, that would be Tiamat. Your final boss will be weak(er) to physical and dealing out magic damage. Megido should still do nice damage though, it did in my game.
Wish I would have known it before. I am better at dealing magic damage overall. Hoping to get it done tonight or tomorrow.

Id call Overclocked half assed, P4G and SH are the opposite of that. Working on finishing this game, I have a habit of taking breaks on games near the end, dunno why. 11/10 game so far and I am in the final dungeon.

all i can say is, i enjoyed overclocked a helluva lot more than i did soul hackers :) ...

Soulhouf

I was wondering.
GUMP is called COMP in the US version (which is dumb IMO), but I actually saw it called "GUMP" 2 or 3 times. Is that a localization mistake or done on purpose?

cj_iwakura

I was wondering.
GUMP is called COMP in the US version (which is dumb IMO), but I actually saw it called "GUMP" 2 or 3 times. Is that a localization mistake or done on purpose?

COMP is another series title for a devil summoning PC. GUMP is exclusive to Soul Hackers/OG DS. So I don't think it is.

I was wondering.

It's on purpose, because this is the way it's done in the JP version. "COMP" refers to literally any computer that can summon demons (so Mayone's umbrella is a COMP, Judah's sax is a COMP, Finnegan's brass knucles are a COMP - sometimes it's even used for any type of computer), while GUMP is specifically a portmanteau of Gun and Comp that refers to the main character's COMP.

Soulhouf

It's on purpose, because this is the way it's done in the JP version. "COMP" refers to literally any computer that can summon demons (so Mayone's umbrella is a COMP, Judah's sax is a COMP, Finnegan's brass knucles are a COMP - sometimes it's even used for any type of computer), while GUMP is specifically a portmanteau of Gun and Comp that refers to the main character's COMP.

That's what I thought but isn't the MC's COMP often called COMP as well?
I don't recall it was the case in the Saturn version but I may be wrong.

That's what I thought but isn't the MC's COMP often called COMP as well?
I don't recall it was the case in the Saturn version but I may be wrong.

It is, because it is an item that runs the devil summoning program.

They definitely call the MC's COMP just a "COMP" but is it really a GUMP?

Here is a screenshot of the Japanese 3DS website:
yT72rxx.jpg

Here is a picture of the back cover of Soul Hackers PSX (Playstation the Best version):

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This has been one of my favorite games until today in the morning. I went to the Amami Float and took me around 2 hours to clear it up. Without a fucking save point before, the game throws me to
fight Finnegan
and I get wrecked. Boom 2 hours of progress lost. I don't think I'll come back to this game for about a week.

cj_iwakura

This has been one of my favorite games until today in the morning. I went to the Amami Float and took me around 2 hours to clear it up. Without a fucking save point before, the game throws me to fight Finnegan and I get wrecked. Boom 2 hours of progress lost. I don't think I'll come back to this game for about a week.

Save anywhere app. Never leave the trailer without it.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Save anywhere app. Never leave the trailer without it.
Good call. I hate the fact that it takes 2 blocks though. Welp, gotta use the good ol' "save every 2 steps" from now on.

Also, how far I'm into the game? Have I reached the middle yet?

cj_iwakura

Good call. I hate the fact that it takes 2 blocks though. Welp, gotta use the good ol' "save every 2 steps" from now on.

I think you're around halfway. Did you
take Nemissa or fight like a MAN?

cj_iwakura

Fought by myself, which was a bad call because the second I got my demons silenced the game was over.

Fun times.
Use a Dimute Stone if you have one. It's a lot more enjoyable if you fight him without Nemissa.

My Zoma had Mabufula/Maragion which helped a lot. Wiped out most of them in one shot.

Soriku

Raidou?
Now you got my interest. But it sucks if I don't have much chance with him.

You have a chance if you prepare (takes time though). The battles are tough but not impossible or anything. Just get high level demons with buffs, two with Mediarama, one or two with Samarecarm. Demons like Metatron, Shiva (his Tarunda is useful for the last fight!), Alilat, Lucifrost, Vishnu, Izanami. And Mitama them to max stats.

There isn't much useful than Backer Upper. Dark Man is good to have around too. Anything else is up to you. Nothing else stands out save Copernicus but that's for getting near-guaranteed fusion accidents with the COMP, not for dungeon crawling.

Soulhouf

It is, because it is an item that runs the devil summoning program.

You're right.
I booted my Saturn version, and it's exactly like in the US 3DS version. The device is only called GUMP when they talk specifically of that one the MC has. Otherwise it's always called COMP, including in the menu:

IMG_1171.jpg~original

I have to apologize because my memory wasn't accurate...

Fought by myself, which was a bad call because the second I got my demons silenced the game was over.
I was lucky because I had a demon with Last resort. I sacrificed him at the beginning
which wiped out all Finnegan's demons in one turn.
Last resort is probably the best skill against summoners.

Jawmuncher

I must be dumb but I'm in akane mall and can't find the key here at all. The guy hits at the beverage corner but I'm pretty sure I have walked on every tile in the mall.

Wow in the VR Museum fight:

That Juggler boss fight was tough... until he drained his MP LOL . Thank god for my physicals.

Also, the Arranged soundtrack is awesome, specially the Battle Theme

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ahahaha, I basically killed the boss by slowly hitting it with my sword and waiting until it ran out of MP for its spells and Lullaby. Thought it was the worse boss ever.

LOL this is how I won. Though i had it in the low yellow zone by the time it happened

vdlow

Yesterday I was talking with a friend that is playing Soul Hackers, he was fighting the
dolphin boss
and telling me his strategy. He basically made a line resistant to ice and turned on autobattle, enemy eventually died and he didn't take damage at all. Imagine our face when we discovered the real strategy. lol

So I'm about to do the 3rd Vision Quest, I have a question about what happens before that:

Does it make any difference in the regular story whether you stay or leave Spooky? I know about the NG+ one, but what about in the regular game?

vall03

I just finished Amami Monolith the other day in less than an hour. I had the Map hack on though, but I can now see why its very annoying on your first time since its very easy to get lost and lose track of what you need to do next. But I think, its a very straightforward and simple dungeon, hindered only by the several areas and the backtracking.

Soriku

So I'm about to do the 3rd Vision Quest, I have a question about what happens before that:

Does it make any difference in the regular story whether you stay or leave Spooky? I know about the NG+ one, but what about in the regular game?

Pretty sure it doesn't matter in a first run. I just chose to stay though.

Finally, finally, defeated
Beelzebub
and have unlocked New Game +. My total play time, in game at least, was about 38 hours. Second playthrough I will attempt to take down the EX dungeon stuff after they royally kicked my ass the first time I tried to take them on.

Kerrinck

About level 40 already and I am wondering, is my MC supposed to be only attacking or am I doing something wrong? He feels kinda weak when compared with the rest of the party.

M3d10n

Caved in and got it on the eShop. Damn, that's one huge download, almost 2GB. First time seeing the "not enough blocks" screen on my 16GB SD card, lol.

Top Bottom