• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Velcro Fly

Finally bought this from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Should be arriving at some point next week. Very excited to finally play the game!

Soulhouf

About level 40 already and I am wondering, is my MC supposed to be only attacking or am I doing something wrong? He feels kinda weak when compared with the rest of the party.

Pretty much. Unfortunately Soul Hackers' MC is one of the weakest MC in MegTen.
In the EX dungeon you don't even attack because you can get killed so easily. I ended up putting him in the back row and guard all the time despite having 40 vi and around 34 st u_u

Soriku

MC is good for mobs with a good sword and some support when necessary. For bosses, his damage eventually just doesn't keep up.

NeonZ

I've just finished the game (normal). I'm kind of disappointed by the ending, especially considering how the
Phantom Society was seemingly just forgotten, even though they were building them up as the main villains until near the ending of the Monolith

My Compedium is already 90% complete, so getting the last 10% shouldn't be too hard... Is there some kind of app that allows the player to summon demons with levels higher than the main character?

pwack

So I'm a few hour in
about to start second vision quest
and the game has yet to grab me. I find the UI cumbersome to navigate and too bare bones to use effectively. I find combat kinda dull and too easy; seems likely I hardly need my demons, and none of the three boss fights have been at all challenging. And the demon recruiting and growth somehow seems less interesting than normal. Will this change or become more compelling, or should I move on to something else? (Likely DKCR or Guacamelee)

Note -- I love modern SMT games like Strange Jounrey and Devil Survivor and Persona 3/4. Older SMT universe games have yet to do it for me (only been able to try persona 1/2)

Note 2 -- I just finished EO4 and am anticipating SMTIV and am worried about dungeon crawl burn out.

Soriku

I've just finished the game (normal). I'm kind of disappointed by the ending, especially considering how the
Phantom Society was seemingly just forgotten, even though they were building them up as the main villains until near the ending of the Monolith

My Compedium is already 90% complete, so getting the last 10% shouldn't be too hard... Is there some kind of app that allows the player to summon demons with levels higher than the main character?

Copernicus. Get it by trading in a demon at the Pet Shop in Paradigm X. It gives you a 94% fusion accident rate when fusing with the COMP. Just fuse crappy demons together for a good chance to get a high level one.

Alternatively there's no fusion limit on a NG+.

TEJ

is there a list of demons from this game with good sized images accompanying it showing what they look like in the game?

the megami tensei wiki doesn't have images for everything and when they do the images are very small.

cj_iwakura

So I'm a few hour in
about to start second vision quest
and the game has yet to grab me. I find the UI cumbersome to navigate and too bare bones to use effectively. I find combat kinda dull and too easy; seems likely I hardly need my demons, and none of the three boss fights have been at all challenging. And the demon recruiting and growth somehow seems less interesting than normal. Will this change or become more compelling, or should I move on to something else? (Likely DKCR or Guacamelee)

Note -- I love modern SMT games like Strange Jounrey and Devil Survivor and Persona 3/4. Older SMT universe games have yet to do it for me (only been able to try persona 1/2)

Note 2 -- I just finished EO4 and am anticipating SMTIV and am worried about dungeon crawl burn out.

There's a certain boss fight that ramps the difficulty up, and it stays pretty high from there.
It's at the (location)
haunted mansion.

I think after the second VQ the story does as well, but I loved it from the start, so YMMV.

M3d10n

What's the point of doing a Zoma fusion? I see the Zoma is 100% loyal and you don't have to care about its personality in battle, but it's so much weaker than the original. I always get my demons to love me so quickly they end up obeying me anyway.

What's the point of doing a Zoma fusion? I see the Zoma is 100% loyal and you don't have to care about its personality in battle, but it's so much weaker than the original. I always get my demons to love me so quickly they end up obeying me anyway.

Ypu are doing it wrong.

M3d10n

Ypu are doing it wrong.

So it seems. Is there a trick to it later in the game? Do they actually earn XP or something? They look so puny... wait, maybe I need to actually fuse multiple Zoma together to get something good?

BTW, seems it's possible to royally screw yourself in this game if you use the save anywhere app too much. I lagged with my fusions and got my ass handed to me in
the airport
since my demons weren't strong enough. Everyone but the MC died, I almost ran out of MAG and barely had cash to fix Nemissa.

I only managed to recover by grinding with only MC and Nemissa in the Sea Arch and the Astro Museum for a while until I had enough MAG to actually summon anyone else. I managed to get some nice fusions out from the Astro Museum now.

cj_iwakura

So it seems. Is there a trick to it later in the game? Do they actually earn XP or something? They look so puny... wait, maybe I need to actually fuse multiple Zoma together to get something good?

BTW, seems it's possible to royally screw yourself in this game if you use the save anywhere app too much. I lagged with my fusions and got my ass handed to me in
the airport
since my demons weren't strong enough. Everyone but the MC died, I almost ran out of MAG and barely had cash to fix Nemissa.

I only managed to recover by grinding with only MC and Nemissa in the Sea Arch and the Astro Museum for a while until I had enough MAG to actually summon anyone else. I managed to get some nice fusions out from the Astro Museum now.

The ideal use for a Zoma is a support demon. Give it a great healing skill or some good supports.

Of course, I wound up using mine for Maragion and Mabufula since mine turned into a magic beast, so whatever floats your boat. Back row is always ideal, I think.

vall03

I was doing really really well in the Extra Dungeon until I reached
Kyouji
and got wiped out. It seems this is the point where I need to fuse Mitamas on my demons.

Soulhouf

the airport

A Zoma doesn't consume MAG so I use him in dungeons for random battles. It's also a good way to fill a weakness by having a Zoma with buff/debuff or healing spells if you lack some.
Other than that he is useful because he is the only way to fuse General and Hero class demons.

I was doing really really well in the Extra Dungeon until I reached
Kyouji
and got wiped out. It seems this is the point where I need to fuse Mitamas on my demons.

Yep and what comes next is even nastier. So, bring your strongest demons and mitama-boost them.

Velcro Fly

Started up the game today and progressed a little bit. MC is level 14. Honestly haven't struggled too much with anything. Just not quite understanding Zoma fusion yet. Getting used to the game mechanics and how things work and it's pretty fun.

I kinda feel like I should be constantly fusing but some of my fusion options are really limited right now. I am really stingy with my MAG this early in the game though. I've amassed almost 6k.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I finally beat the game a couple days ago, and overall, liked the shit out of it. The atmosphere in particular was really cool, specially during the Haunted Mansion, Inside Paintings, Test Lab.

After you finish the game, you can do the Sea Ark top levels, right? Is there something cool to it? Also, what's the new game stuff? Haven't checked it yet.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just started the game. I'm up to the point where you are going to the warehouses and getting the keycode and insulated clothing to go into the refrigerated warehouse.

I like the game a lot so far. It has that quirky PS1 era feel that made games like this a mystery. It is hard to describe. When playing as Urabe I was like what the hell when I couldn't recruit demons, but at the same time I figured it wouldn't work because
He obviously dies.

Demon's level up in this game? It doesn't seem like any of mine have leveled up. How many alternate demons are there in this game? Are they all just through the street pass thing? I have two pixies and the one from the streetpass thing doesn't just have better stat/skills but has a scarf.

The gun computer looks so dumb lol.

Soriku

I finally beat the game a couple days ago, and overall, liked the shit out of it. The atmosphere in particular was really cool, specially during the Haunted Mansion, Inside Paintings, Test Lab.

After you finish the game, you can do the Sea Ark top levels, right? Is there something cool to it? Also, what's the new game stuff? Haven't checked it yet.

You can go to Sea Ark floor 11 for an optional dungeon (Corridor of Time) with some optional bosses. Before attempting it, fuse the Kartikeya and Zeed found here. And try to get a good demon with Mediarama and good Agi (you can bump Agi up with a Nigi Mitama IIRC. Fuse two Fairies.) for the last boss there. Don't worry about grinding or anything, the bosses give a ton of EXP and you'll be in the high 70's by the time you're done.

After you beat it you can go through the last door to "rewind time" aka start NG+ if you want.

After beating that, if you want to do the Extra Game you should grind in Corridor of Time 5 and get good demons like Metatron, Lucifrost, Izanami, Alilat, Shiva that are all Mitama'd out and have skills like Mediarama, Samerecarm, Makakaja, Sukukaja, Tarunda, Rakukaja, Megidola/Megidolaon.

Just started the game. I'm up to the point where you are going to the warehouses and getting the keycode and insulated clothing to go into the refrigerated warehouse.

I like the game a lot so far. It has that quirky PS1 era feel that made games like this a mystery. It is hard to describe. When playing as Urabe I was like what the hell when I couldn't recruit demons, but at the same time I figured it wouldn't work because
He obviously dies.

Demon's level up in this game? It doesn't seem like any of mine have leveled up. How many alternate demons are there in this game? Are they all just through the street pass thing? I have two pixies and the one from the streetpass thing doesn't just have better stat/skills but has a scarf.

The gun computer looks so dumb lol.

Demons don't level up in this game.

Soulhouf

Sea Ark top level leads to a dungeon that contains very cool bosses from previous megaten games.

@Soriku: why Kartikeya? I didn't have that demon so I have no idea why you recommend it...

Trojita

Demons don't level up in this game.

The OP has false information then

Demons thrive on Magnetite, which is gotten after each battle. Magnetite can either be traded in for currency(at a wicked 1/10 ratio), or used to keep your demons going.

When you have your demons summoned and you walk around with them, they cost Mag to keep active.

This isn't as bad as it sounds. As demons' levels and loyalty increase, the cost decreases, and certain demons cost nothing to keep around.

I was wondering why my demon's weren't leveling. I figured they didn't level in this game, but then I read the OP and got confused.

Bardiche

Argh, at the whole Mayone boss fight scenario.
At first, I went into the battle unprepared and got slaughtered. I fused demons and updated all my weapons and armors, and still got slaughtered. It doesn't help that there is no time to save between visiting Six's home to HQ, which means I have to skip through the dialogue again and again.

Soriku

Sea Ark top level leads to a dungeon that contains very cool bosses from previous megaten games.

@Soriku: why Kartikeya? I didn't have that demon so I have no idea why you recommend it...

He's only lvl 59 but you can give him Makarakarn and Tetrakarn and bump his Agi to 40 with two Nigi Mitamas. Doing that he outspeeds every boss in the Corridor and you can keep reflecting back their attacks, killing them rather easily, Beelzebub aside (though the Kartikeya and Zeed I posted still help tons).

Jawmuncher

So I just completed what I think is the final vision quest.

Where you have the choice if beating one boss or the other. How close is this to the end of the game?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I just completed what I think is the final vision quest.

Where you have the choice if beating one boss or the other. How close is this to the end of the game?

You still have maybe 4-5 hours, depending if you did the Primate Test Lab side-quest or not.

Amami Monolith is your next dungeon, and it will take quite a bit to get through.

Jawmuncher

started my run. the opening hours were a bit bland, but i'm starting to feel the addiction now.

Yeah the first 2 or 3 hours were like that for me to. It indeed really picks up though and hooks you after that though.

So I beat the game today at about 18 hours.
Really enjoyed this more than Overclocked especially the easier difficulty and hacker options. I was dead wrong saying those didnt help. They made the game highly enjoyable for me. I love Jrpgs but I'm not a fan of the huge time sinks or really crazy grinding. Soul hackers fixed all of that for me and I'm glad. Can't wait to get to SMT4 next and play with that easy mode.

Velcro Fly

Just beat the boss in the Planetarium. I think I'm doing something really wrong because it did an attack and almost one shot Nemissa. Not sure if my levels are bad or my demons are terrible but it could have easily wiped out my party if it used attacks two turns in a row. I was able to heal and stay alive. I do my best to recruit everything I come across and fuse to keep my demons up to date but my fusion options seem really limited.

Really enjoying the game but I feel like I'm struggling and that it's only going to get worse :(

edit: think the reason I almost died so quickly was Nemissa wearing something that made her weak to Fire. If so, totally my fault and I wasn't paying attention. So worried about recruiting/fusing that that little tidbit escaped my attention!

Trojita

I'm up to the part where
Tomoko gets trapped in the VR Art Museum

I was so glad when you get
Judah's demons lol. I was like What!!!!!!!!!!?
They could have given me his shamshir too :)

Any recommendations as to what demon's to start out fusing to make a Zoma?

Is there a list of demon's that can turn into items at max loyalty?

Really enjoyed this more than Overclocked...

different strokes - i just finished replaying overclocked, which i did in order to clear my head of my not-so-great experience with soul hackers :) . i had fun & enjoyed aspects of it, but, overall, it's probably my most disappointing smt experience of the dozen+ games i've played (otoh, i friggin' love overclocked)...

Jawmuncher

different strokes - i just finished replaying overclocked, which i did in order to clear my head of my not-so-great experience with soul hackers :) . i had fun & enjoyed aspects of it, but, overall, it's probably my most disappointing smt experience of the dozen+ games i've played (otoh, i friggin' love overclocked)...

My biggest issue with Overclocked was the easy difficulty... It lied to me. Game had some ridiculous difficulty jumps from time to time. Still amazed I beat the last boss.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I finished the game a few days ago. This game absolutely blew me away and quickly jumped high on the list of my favourite SMT games. Everything felt so fluid and fast and I loved the characters and demons. Wonderful game.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Everything felt so fluid and fast and I loved the characters and demons.

I'm having the opposite time with this game - it all feels like a slog. I'm pretty convinced it's just because I have sucked at getting demons, but I'm just finding myself grinding and grinding and running into problems with my Magnetite and not having enough... I think I'm just playing this wrong.

Ondore

This might be a bad place to ask... but did this game pull a RE:Mercenaries and not give a way to wipe the cart/delete all saves?

There's no command for it that I can see anywhere.

Soriku

I'm having the opposite time with this game - it all feels like a slog. I'm pretty convinced it's just because I have sucked at getting demons, but I'm just finding myself grinding and grinding and running into problems with my Magnetite and not having enough... I think I'm just playing this wrong.

Stop using a full party. Use only 1-2 demons for dungeon crawling. Maybe 3 at the most. You shouldn't have any Mag issues eventually. Also you can also add a Zeed and he has max loyalty and no Mag cost.

And fuse often. But try to fuse demons that seem good that have a good level, skills, and resistances.

Soulhouf

I finished the game a few days ago. This game absolutely blew me away and quickly jumped high on the list of my favourite SMT games. Everything felt so fluid and fast and I loved the characters and demons. Wonderful game.

You sir, know how to appreciate a good classic. A lot of respect for that *bow*

cj_iwakura

Boy, the first EX boss(
Heeeeeeeeee hoooooooo
) does not eff around. Dat Last Resort.

I guess I better just ice him as soon as he prepare s it?

NeonZ

Boy, the first EX boss(
Heeeeeeeeee hoooooooo
) does not eff around. Dat Last Resort.

I guess I better just ice him as soon as he prepare s it?

If you have a demon with 20 agi and Tetrakarn, you can just reflect it back to him and suffer no damage. I fused a Fenrir for this (it has 20 agi by default).

brinstar

Oh I guess there was supposed to be a trick with fighting Snappy? I just beat the shit out of him with physical attacks until he died

I finally got around to starting this game. I already love the cyberpunk setting, and the music/script have me hooked. What I need is a better feel for the magnetite system (e.g. how much to have on hand) and the specific rules of demon fusion/skill inheritance for this game (as I'm only familiar with SMT3 and beyond). I guess I'll spend the next hour reading through this thread.

Thanks, Atlus. Now I'm going to fail the bar exam.

Oh, and I can confidently state that Soul Hackers is the first time I have ever had to slow down a battle system to figure out what's going on.

Top Bottom