• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

So if their loyalty is maxed out, does that mean you have full control of them?

And yeah, it sounds complicated.

Yes. If it drops to zero, they leave the party.

Loyalty is also inherited by fusion, so if you fuse two max loyalty demons together, the resulting demon will also have max loyalty.

Kinda curious about the 3D effect (if any).

This is what I would like to know as well.

It's pretty deep, but completely unnecessary; I don't think the 3D effect actually shows up in the cutscenes (except for making the entire image as a whole 'sink in'), and for the rest of the game, the 3D is just... there. The entire picture sinks inwards, but the 3D effect is just... there most of the times. I can see the motion making some people sick, but I even forgot about the 3D altogether until you guys brought it up.

Does that mean the battle system is complicated or hard?
There's just a whole lot to keep track of. The folks here have already listed most of the extra stuff that seems pointlessly extraneous. It takes times to get to grips with (also the default speed for battles is so high you might not actually realize what happened...), but when you do, it's pretty well worth it.

It's pretty deep, but completely unnecessary; I don't think the 3D effect actually shows up in the cutscenes (except for making the entire image as a whole 'sink in'), and for the rest of the game, the 3D is just... there. The entire picture sinks inwards, but the 3D effect is just... there most of the times. I can see the motion making some people sick, but I even forgot about the 3D altogether until you guys brought it up.
So not really depth as in adding volume to the image, but more like layers? Sounds similar to Etrian Odyssey IV. Which is okay, better that than nothing! I had hoped for some depth for the battle screens, they look kinda messy, going by the screenshots.

I may be all wrong though. :p

cj_iwakura

So if their loyalty is maxed out, does that mean you have full control of them?

And yeah, it sounds complicated.

I got used to it really quick. And I didn't even know what half their personality types were since I was playing it in Japanese. It won't be much of a barrier.

Really interested to see this loyalty system for myself. Sounds like it will make sense after you've played the game for a while. I know that sometimes when I read about features in games, they initially seem completely incomprehensible, but once I'm actually playing the game it becomes like second nature. I'm hoping that's what will happen with SH.

Tom_Cody

I am trying to decide whether I should download this or pre-order a physical copy.

I am normally inclined download games with stree/spot pass features but I'm kind of torn on this one.

Any thoughts?

Nags

Banned
So no EU Date yet.
Assume the 3DS ain't open borders right?

3DS is region locked, yes. Seems like it's been a rough time for getting Atlus games in EU territories unfortunately. Guess it depends how bad you want it, but there is always the option to buy a NA 3DS...

I am trying to decide whether I should download this or pre-order a physical copy.

I am normally inclined download games with stree/spot pass features but I'm kind of torn on this one.

Any thoughts?

What swayed me to go retail in order to get a physical copy was the arranged tracks music CD that was included. It's not much, I think I read in this thread it's maybe 6 songs long? But it was enough to base my decision on.

That and I kind of like to have physical versions of SMT Games when I can.

Effect

Are there any screen shots or videos comparing the original game and the 3DS game? In the description for the game on press releases "improved graphics" is listed. Like to know just how true this is and to what degree things have been changed if they have at all.

Nags

Banned
Are there any screen shots or videos comparing the original game and the 3DS game? In the description for the game on press releases "improved graphics" is listed. Like to know just how true this is and to what degree things have been changed if they have at all.

The improvements are very slight. The screenshots on the OP show you what you can expect. If you are somehow trying to decide between the Saturn Version and this um... I don't know what to tell you. You probably shouldn't buy it based on that comparison but rather if you are into SMT or first person Dungeon Crawlers.

Soriku

Go to the wine store in the shopping center and buy the items that set a demon's personality to "Kind." Use it on a demon and have them use the Guard command until their loyalty is maxed out. It will make your life so much easier in the long run.

Is there a drawback to doing this?

You can't just use the item again? Or does the loyalty reset?

You can use the item again, but you can only carry, like, ten of each item so you'll want to get the most out of each use.

For the record, you can also give demons gifts from your inventory to raise their loyalty.

GeekyDad

Just got an email from Best Buy that my copy has shipped -- tracking for UPS and everything. That was delightfully unexpected.

Right. Once a demon's loyalty is maxed, it's pretty much guaranteed to follow orders. Even if it does disobey (which is extremely unlikely - I think I've seen it happen once in all my playthroughs), it won't make much of a difference since there are so many notches on the loyalty scale.

GeekyDad

Right. Once a demon's loyalty is maxed, it's pretty much guaranteed to follow orders. Even if it does disobey (which is extremely unlikely - I think I've seen it happen once in all my playthroughs), it won't make much of a difference since there are so many notches on the loyalty scale.

Again, I think he's merely curious as to whether or not loyalty can go down once it's been maxed, not whether or not a demon will disobey.

More updates:

- I have a handle on the battle system now, and I am hooked. I like talking to demons when I can, apart from recruitment, it also gives me a whole lot of context
- The bosses are hard
- I turned the 3D off because it was about as annoying as the voice acting
- The story remains as bizarre as it ever was
- Apparently there is a battle speed option in the Settings menu. I advise everyone to turn it down to slow, at least until you have a better idea of what you're doing.
- Draw distance outside of dungeon areas, such as in
Paradigm X
is bloody awful.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Jenga

Banned
More updates:

- I have a handle on the battle system now, and I am hooked. I like talking to demons when I can, apart from recruitment, it also gives me a whole lot of context
- The bosses are hard
- I turned the 3D off because it was about as annoying as the voice acting
- The story remains as bizarre as it ever was
- Apparently there is a battle speed option in the Settings menu. I advise everyone to turn it down to slow, at least until you have a better idea of what you're doing.
- Draw distance outside of dungeon areas, such as in
Paradigm X
is bloody awful.

Let me know if you have any questions!

what difficulty you doing?

Jenga

Banned
I don't think it offered me an option for difficulty... at least I don't remember.
If it did, it was probably the default, as that is what I usually play on.

EDIT: Yep, just tried starting a new game. No difficulty settings

from what i read it's supposed to allow on-the-fly difficulty changes

for my part i'm gonna do hard, i heard the game is a bit easier for a SMT title and I'm in the mood for a hard first person dungeon crawl

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

for my part i'm gonna do hard, i heard the game is a bit easier for a SMT title and I'm in the mood for a hard first person dungeon crawl

I know SMT IV does that, not sure about Soul Hackers though.

Hmmm, I can't find it anywhere in the menus or the manual.

Oh well. Default difficulty it likely is anyway.

Nags

Banned

From what I understand there is an app for it in Soul Hackers, similar to Strange Journey apps.

cj_iwakura

Not to my knowledge, but here's a couple:

PS1:

3-10.jpg

5-6.png

(You can see the upper right character in the 3DS section below)

4-11.png

3DS:

LYn1Ap6.jpg

Frjb0Od.png

vm3MMZJ.png

Also, I'll be playing the Saturn version on Friday evening for everyone.

Very rarely maxed loyalty demons will still disobey a command, but it's nothing to worry about. It probably has to do with personality type as well.

That clears that up, thank you. :) I was just worried about losing it quickly, like if there was only a few loyal states. I honestly like the sound of this system over the SJ one.

Nags

Banned
tumblr_ml46bkQppH1so34abo1_400.png

I actually like the shading and expression of the lady in the PSOne version a little better. She's also missing lipstick in 3DS. The image is a bit too small but you can tell either her pupils or iris is quite a bit larger in the PSone, maybe even a different color iris altogether.
Do the character portraits ever change to reflect emotion or are they always static?

cj_iwakura

tumblr_ml46bkQppH1so34abo1_400.png

I actually like the shading and expression of the lady in the PSOne version a little better. She's also missing lipstick. The image is a bit too small but you can tell either her pupils or iris is quite a bit larger in the PSone, maybe even a different color iris altogether.
Do the character portraits ever change to reflect emotion or are they always static?

The main story characters do(even a few minor ones), but ones like the shopkeepers remain static.

Tiktaalik

BestBuy.ca is telling me that my local retailers already have it? Have any Canadians already picked this up? I feel like the website has let me down before.

ohlawd

don't know how it happened but I managed to preorder and pay it all off.

April 16 beeches. Be there or be square!

Top Bottom