• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Just realized from Theta on mumble that euro version comes out 9 hours earlier then NA version. I AM SO SAD INSIDE. (missed that in OP)

Happy for you euro bastards though : )

I CAN MAKE IT I CAN MAKE IT

Asia gets it 6 hours before them!

...I don't think we have anyone here that fits that, huh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
He said it himself. "This is gonna give the less hardcore guys maybe some amusement".

Lets not pretend its not fucked up.
Yep! Entertainment baby, it's how you get dem $$$

Magnus

I'll probably just do my WoW diet again that I do for expansions.

Coffee and Roast Beef Sandwiches.

For days and days.

image.php

scy

I never could get into energy drinks. Tastes like shit and makes me feel like shit. I've never even tried one of those little 5 hour energy drinks or whatever they are.

Never really seemed to do all that much good for me when I did use them. Just improving my diet has kept me going longer, really.

Riggs

Banned
Asia gets it 6 hours before them!

...I don't think we have anyone here that fits that, huh.

Hah all good dude been waiting like 10 years so a few more hours is not a damn thing!!!!

Tom Cruise from Top Gun could do it, I can do it.

scy

Hah all good dude been waiting like 10 years so a few more hours is not a damn thing!!!!

Tom Cruise from Top Gun could do it, I can do it.

I'm just glad I only have to endure one day of work where people are playing and I'm not :x

Thoraxes

I am looking into some sweet breads and buns to put it on though (as well as all kinds of cheeses). That's where the greatness comes in.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hah all good dude been waiting like 10 years so a few more hours is not a damn thing!!!!.
How are you doing this man? Time is going so fucking slowly...

GorillaJu

"whore" is a nasty spin on it. Dedication can come in all shapes and forms. I guess Olympic athletes are whoring themselves out too, but its not called that because physical feats are taken differently.

This is not even close to congruent with a world first video game accomplishment. Diablo 3 isn't even a competitive game.

It's also an entertainment product, where the confines of what a player can do are predefined and scripted by the developers and designers.

Some dude sitting on his ass to be the first person in the world to beat a single player (or co-op) action RPG is not even close to an athletic competition that has its roots in thousand-year-old human culture.

Yoshichan

You heard it here first folks, abandon the e-sport bandwagon 'cuz we know this shit ain't gonna exist in 1000 years (and thus, it'll never count as good entertainme...) wait, what the fuck.

scy

This is not even close to congruent with a world first video game accomplishment. Diablo 3 isn't even a competitive game.

It's also an entertainment product, where the confines of what a player can do are predefined and scripted by the developers and designers.

Some dude sitting on his ass to be the first person in the world to beat a single player (or co-op) action RPG is not even close to an athletic competition that has its roots in thousand-year-old human culture.

Oh god esports isn't sports argument starting, time to bail out guys!

Edit: It's for entertainment. People watch gaming streams for this kind of thing. This gets viewers. It's not so much "lol it's an accomplishment!" as it is "people will watch this."

oneils

"whore" is a nasty spin on it. Dedication can come in all shapes and forms. I guess Olympic athletes are whoring themselves out too, but its not called that because physical feats are taken differently.

Exactly. I find it strange that on this forum, of all places, we have to defend a passion for video games and one man's attempt to make video games his career. Does not make a lot of sense.

No one should ever have to feel ashamed of their passion or dream. Unless, of course, you are being irresponsible or doing something illegal.

Riggs

Banned
How are you doing this man? Time is going so fucking slowly...

Positivity. Seriously I lie to myself, same way I get through my work shifts when I did call centers. You group everything into increments. Instead of thinking omg its 48 hours away, etc.

Yoshichan

Oh god esports isn't sports argument starting, time to bail out guys!
It's honestly the most tiresome discussion I've ever had to go through. I'm glad it started "catching up" with SC2 and not earlier than that :p

injurai

Banned

No I understand. But competition in video games is well known. I don't think he is putting himself through much lament over this challenge. He seems like he is having fun, s the game is a passion of his.

I'm not even the biggest fan of his, as I would much rather see Athene reach the goal.

spk

Those physical feats usually don't mean tying yourself to a chair to play video games for 16hrs a day while eating dried fruit with 1 hand and "minmaxing" your diet so you can get by with min food and bathroom requirements. ha

It's his job, OK. What's everyone else's excuse for taking it to that extreme. I don't see why anyone is a hater for being put off by that. I agree I should have chosen words other than shameful and embarrassing, but seriously that's how I feel about the hyper obsession that people seem to be wearing as some kind of honor among themselves (the D3/gamer community)

No one else thinks that's the least bit weird? Or too much?

Yeah, basically

Yoshichan

Speaking of Joffrey. In 3 minutes it's time for a new GoT episode. A good way to kill an extra hour.
I guess that means this thread will be quiet for another hour and a half :/?

scy

Those physical feats usually don't mean tying yourself to a chair to play video games for 16hrs a day while eating dried fruit with 1 hand and "minmaxing" your diet so you can get by with min food and bathroom requirements. ha

Oh no, I facepalmed when he said that and I've done my fair share of world first attempts years ago. I still think that line is a bit silly but it's not like it was the most serious of videos.

TheContact

It's a little weird that we can't install it before they open the network. You would think they would let you install it and sit at the login screen. Couldn't play anyway, and that would save some time having to wait for it to install.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I never could get into energy drinks. Tastes like shit and makes me feel like shit. I've never even tried one of those little 5 hour energy drinks or whatever they are.

I thought I was the only one... I hate that stuff like no end. Plus kind of ridiculous most people that are drinking those "energy" drinks are out of shape and obese... ;)

injurai

Banned

It's his job, OK. What's everyone else's excuse for taking it to that extreme. I don't see why anyone is a hater for being put off by that. I agree I should have chosen words other than shameful and embarrassing, but seriously that's how I feel about the hyper obsession that people seem to be wearing as some kind of honor among themselves (the D3/gamer community)

The guy is capitalising on his passion I don't understand the demonization of him. It's actually quite nasty in it's own regard to view him that way.

And the D3gaf is just having a fun time. Although it may not appear that way for people just popping in on us.

spk

Oh no, I facepalmed when he said that and I've done my fair share of world first attempts years ago. I still think that line is a bit silly but it's not like it was the most serious of videos.

Yeah my response was knee jerk and led by my uh...issues with "gamer culture"

oneils

It's a little weird that we can't install it before they open the network. You would think they would let you install it and sit at the login screen. Couldn't play anyway, and that would save some time having to wait for it to install.

I do think there is an early install. You can install at 8pm PDT, I think. So not too far in advance, but it is better than nothing. Maybe check out the official forum for more info.

Yoshichan

Issues indeed. Anyway...

HYPE! Exactly 21 more hours to go...

Dineren

Banned

Yeah, basically

Are they doing this every day? I don't see why it's a big deal for them to do this if they're excited about it and have the time available. It's not like this is their permanent living arrangement.

Kalnos

Banned
Just about *anyone* who's too passionate about something is off-putting. Whether that's religion, sports, politics, or Diablo 3. So yeah, he's a bit weird.

scy

Are they doing this every day? I don't see why it's a big deal for them to do this if they're excited about it and have the time available. It's not like this is their permanent living arrangement.

He makes his money from streams and viewers so it's basically a business venture, really.

chiablo

I thought I was the only one... I hate that stuff like no end. Plus kind of ridiculous most people that are drinking those "energy" drinks are out of shape and obese... ;)

Redbull is probably the only energy drink I can stomach. I love the smaller sized cans, and the contents aren't just sugar water and caffeine. It's probably the most healthy energy drink out there... but that's like saying Marlboro is the healthiest cigarette.

HenryHSH

^ believe it or not some people can appreciate and enjoy video games without becoming a hardcore stereotype

Yea I'm real salty about this dudes habits and desire to be world first. I literally cannot understand how people identify with the guy so much that they can't see what it looks like to people who haven't gotten caught up in the Super Hardcore Diablo Fever thing

If I'm a hater for being uncomfortable that peoples discussions and behavior comes off like worship and ridiculous obsession then that's fine

I'm hyped as hell for the game but the last thing I'll ever do is dedicate my daily life to it. In the end, I am an adult that has responsibilities and cannot afford to neglect the outside world for the sake of a video game.
Not to say that what he is doing is neglect (which it might or might not be) but I would feel extremely uncomfortable if I ignore life. I would feel guilty, lonely and depressed. But if he can manage to make it work emotionally and financially then good for him.

My only problem with the guy is his sense of his unwarranted superiority. I love how he justifies his diet in the latest video with points that make no sense. A high "natural" sugar diet for his carbs intake is a complete joke. If you're using carbohydrates to stay up then you're doing it wrong and it will backfire.

GorillaJu

You guys crack me up. I didn't bring up the sports vs eSports thing - I was responding to explain why the comparison is inappropriate.

The point I was trying to make wasn't even about the fact that sports are physical. The fact that chess isn't about running and jumping doesn't make it less of a competition. However, chess is a competitive game.

The point was that Diablo 3 is a non-competitive action RPG. It's like being proud of being the first person to watch a movie. I'm not even judging the dude who's doing it. It's that people actually care that boggles the mind.

Vodh

Whining about other people being too hardcore for you is just pathetic. Racing other hardcore players for a world's first is sad? How the fuck is any of this sad?

And what have you acomplished in your lives to say that this kind of thing is sad? And no, being acomplished doesn't automatically validate those opinions, far from it - just draws the line between being a hateful loser and a person incapable of appreciating some of the awesome stuff that's going on in some people's lives which is not as bad, but still pityful.

Yoshichan

I thought that a lot of the stuff in his video was for the amusement of the audience. :p He's building one after all.
And it's working, since all of this is advertisement. We're probably not the only ones discussing this.

scy

I thought that a lot of the stuff in his video was for the amusement of the audience. :p He's building one after all.

Yeah, that's what it came across as once I finally watched it. He spends half the video kind of half-smirking and being less than serious.

injurai

Banned
Well this thread derailed majorly.

So the Jeweler artisan and gems. In D3 only the first 5 gem levels will be dropping so I forget the number but it takes a ton of lvl 5 gems to build into the highest quality.

Does removing a gem from a socket destroy that gem or can you the reuse it to craft up to higher level gems.

Dresden

And it's working, since all of this is advertisement. We're probably not the only ones discussing this.
Yep. I mean, I linked the video to several other places and no doubt it'll spread there. I wish him luck.
Yeah, that's what it came across as once I finally watched it. He spends half the video kind of half-smirking and being less than serious.

Twenty bananas a day!

Yoshichan

It's like being proud of being the first person to watch a movie. I'm not even judging the dude who's doing it. It's that people actually care that boggles the mind.
Um... there's something you should know but I don't know how to put it.

scy

My only problem with the guy is his sense of his unwarranted superiority. I love how he justifies his diet in the latest video with points that make no sense. A high "natural" sugar diet for his carbs intake is a complete joke. If you're using carbohydrates to stay up then you're doing it wrong and it will backfire.

That's probably the best point of the whole thing. His diet choice isn't even that great for the goal he has :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom