• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

theta11

it is, but the tradeoff is that repeated Vaults drains your Discipline fast, and it recovers slowly. Teleport may be on a cooldown, but I believe you can spam it within 1 second with the right rune, and Arcane Powre replenishes pretty quick. Not totally disagreeing with you, but pointing out the differences. It's still pretty balanced.

I think if you hit it again after 1 second it sends you back where you started.

EDIT: Wormhole
After casting Teleport, there is a 1 second delay before the cooldown begins, allowing you to Teleport again.

So I'm trying to get my friends into this game aswell. Two of them have played WoW since the beginning, so the dungeon running and loot appeals to them. They think the classes all look cool and theyre starting to get pretty hyped.
Today, one of my friends asked me: so I get the regular monsters are a lot of clickfests, but what about the bosses? Do you think we'll see some strategy involved into them with phases, a bit, but not entirely like WoW?
I responded that the things I have seen from Diablo 2, its a lot of clicking on the boss, run away and chug some pots, and stack health/dmg/resistance.

But then I got to thinking, do we really know anything for the bosses? I mean, Blizzard has learned a lot from WoW boss designs, and I know its a completely different team for the most part. But do you think we'll see some adaptations from the boss encounters we see in WoW?

Now I'm not complaining that this game needs to be like WoW, I know they are two different things entirely and I'm happy about that! But do you think it's possible there will be some more strategy involved into the encounters?

Now I could be entirely wrong about the Diablo 2 bosses aswell, I only have played normal in that game; just saying what I saw from the videos/streams that I looked up.

Most bosses in Diablo II were quite linear, without phases. I'd think they would have a different approach this time around. Thing is, the bosses have unique attack patterns which we can almost classify as phase-like.

Xater

This has probably been mentioned but just to reiterate that according to Blizzard the servers will go live at 12pm PDT time. So that is 3am on the East Coast. So if you are waking up to play, you can get a couple of extra hours sleep. :)

EDIT: Or that is my interpretation of this blog post.

Why is there no post about this for Europe? At least I don't see anything on the German site.

So I'm trying to get my friends into this game aswell. Two of them have played WoW since the beginning, so the dungeon running and loot appeals to them. They think the classes all look cool and theyre starting to get pretty hyped.
Today, one of my friends asked me: so I get the regular monsters are a lot of clickfests, but what about the bosses? Do you think we'll see some strategy involved into them with phases, a bit, but not entirely like WoW?
I responded that the things I have seen from Diablo 2, its a lot of clicking on the boss, run away and chug some pots, and stack health/dmg/resistance.

But then I got to thinking, do we really know anything for the bosses? I mean, Blizzard has learned a lot from WoW boss designs, and I know its a completely different team for the most part. But do you think we'll see some adaptations from the boss encounters we see in WoW?

Now I'm not complaining that this game needs to be like WoW, I know they are two different things entirely and I'm happy about that! But do you think it's possible there will be some more strategy involved into the encounters?

Now I could be entirely wrong about the Diablo 2 bosses aswell, I only have played normal in that game; just saying what I saw from the videos/streams that I looked up.

From what we know from the Beta, bosses definitely have more varied attacks and better strategies. Skeleton King hits like a truck when he hits you, but he telegraphs all his moves if you know what to look for, and videos are up online of people stunlocking him through the entire fight, so basically the bosses will definitely take a page out of WoW's book and you will need to employ strategies. I don't know about phases and positioning, but strategy will definitely be involved.

So I'm inclined to think I won't enjoy this game, but maybe GAF can convince me. I would LIKE to like this game, since a friend is a Diablo maniac and playing co-op with him would be pretty cool provided I can enjoy the game. The facts:

- Only game in the genre I've played is Torchlight. Hated it.
- Reasons I hated it: Boring enemies, boring environments, boring skills, click-click-click and nothing more to it.
- I watched my friends spend years on Diablo 2, but it looked like a super boring click-fest so I never tried it.
- "Loot" as a motivational device does nothing for me. I need cool enemies, cool environments and fun and engaging gameplay that involves both moment-to-moment combat tactics and long-term character building strategy. I LOVE exploration and open world-stuff.
- I don't like replaying games and almost never do.
- I don't want to interact with other people outside of my co-op partner or people I know IRL who might be playing.

What do you think GAF?

Take a pass. Its a looter, you dont care for looting. While not boring to us, if "click-click-click" is something you hate, you'll hate this. You saw Diablo 2, it was super boring to you. The thing that makes Diablo is multiplayer looting, you dont want to interact with other people (aside from your buddy). Its a game that revolves around playing through with multiple classes, multiple times, climbing the difficulty ladder. You dont like replaying games.

So seriously, according to you list, if someone makes a game thats the polar opposite of D3, thats the game you should get. : )

Naito

Somebody at the Best Buy Developer Q&A (scroll down a bit) asked a similar question

Can you explain us about the bossfights? Will they be like Diablo 2 where the bosses had a fixed number of abilities and they just used them, or it will be more like WoW where the bosses have phases with different abilities and the scenery/positioning its crucial in the fight.
JayWilson: Depends on the boss. Some have a set number of abilities some have phase Most are a little more complex than Diablo II

And... you and FrontalMonk have the same avatar!

Bah. How fast are they at refunding to a card? I'm STILL waiting on a refund from Msoft... it's been over 2 months. :/

Not sure, I emailed them for a refund and they responded within a day and said they were refunding my card. Never actually checked to see how long it took.

Soule

I'm pretty sure Jay Wilson addressed that issue with the bosses and phases and stuff in a recent interview (I think one of the ones while he was in Australia) and from memory it sounded like they wouldn't be linear like D2.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
With Blizz? Is it faster to call them?

As for a quick version of my MSoft issue it was someone hacking my account, spending 75 dollars off a card to buy Msoft points. They locked the account down, investigated, said I will receive the refund, but it takes 2 billing cycles. It's been past that...

Yeah, you can call they, they have a nice and good support.

LordCanti

it is, but the tradeoff is that repeated Vaults drains your Discipline fast, and it recovers slowly. Teleport may be on a cooldown, but I believe you can spam it within 1 second with the right rune, and Arcane Powre replenishes pretty quick. Not totally disagreeing with you, but pointing out the differences. It's still pretty balanced.

With preparation (restoring all discipline on a 45 second cooldown) and the tumble rune on vault (like 50% reduced discipline for the next vault) one could probably stretch their discipline pretty far if getting away was the only goal.

It all really depends on how many teleports you can actually get off within that one second. I'd love to see footage of the finalized skill (with that rune) in action.

Soule

If we don't have a DDR boss in D3, I'll be disappointed in Blizzard.

If we don't have a secret cow level I'll be disappointed in Blizzard. I saw in beta there was a hint or something during loading about there not being a cow level or something of that nature (better just be some elaborate ploy!)

Gromph

Staff Member
If we don't have a secret cow level I'll be disappointed in Blizzard. I saw in beta there was a hint or something during loading about there not being a cow level or something of that nature (better just be some elaborate ploy!)

Pony level
my friend.

hitsugi

I don't think so. Teleport I'm pretty sure is just an "oh shit" movement button now, like DH's vault or Barb's leap.

Yeah, teleport (even with the proper build for fast teleports) isn't what it used to be. For skipping around or getting out of (or into) trouble, sure.. But no teleporting through walls keeps things pretty level as far as travel is concerned.

Hahaha. Bro, I can almost guarantee there is a cow level.
Take my word for it. No worries.

edit: Gromph, wut? I shouldn't have clicked that... LOL

theta11

Yeah, teleport (even with the proper build for fast teleports) isn't what it used to be. For skipping around or getting out of (or into) trouble, sure.. But no teleporting through walls keeps things pretty level as far as travel is concerned.

I'm actually looking foward to taking Ice Armor over teleport. Will see how that works out for me in higher difficulties.

Soule

Pony level
my friend.

SHOCK.gif

Gromph

Staff Member
Hahaha. Bro, I can almost guarantee there is a cow level.
Take my word for it. No worries.

edit: Gromph, wut? I shouldn't have clicked that... LOL

There was some strings datamined on beta, is public know.

Well this if is true is a massive SPOILER

Click at your own risk

A4_1000MonsterFight_Encounter_Name Boss: Battle For Ponies
A4_1000MonsterFight_Taunt_Text The battle for ponies is about to begin.
A4_1000MonsterFight_Join_Instruction {s1} is about to witness
A4_1000MonsterFight_Enter_Instruction You are about to witness
A4_1000MonsterFight_Info_Text The rest of your party will be able to teleport in once you enter
BridlePurpose_Encounter_Name The Pinnacle of Ponies Event
BridlePurpose_Join_Instruction {s1} is about to enter
BridlePurpose_Enter_Instruction You are about to enter
BridlePurpose_Info_Text The rest of your party will be able to teleport in once you enter
Ponies_HopePrison Hope's Prison
PoniesPurificationTimer Purification Timer
Bridle_Ponies Bridle
BridleRitual_Encounter_Name Cells of the Condemned Event
BridleRitual_Join_Instruction {s1} is about to enter
BridleRitual_Enter_Instruction You are about to enter
BridleRitual_Info_Text The rest of your party will be able to teleport in once you enter
Possibly this as well, given that dressage is a equestrian term:
Dressage_Encounter_Name Boss: The Larder
Dressage_Taunt_Text Defeat the demon Dressage!
Dressage_Join_Instruction {s1} is about to enter
Dressage_Enter_Instruction You are about to enter
Dressage_Info_Text The rest of your party will be able to teleport in once you enter
So it looks to be a timed event, possibly with the end boss being named The Larder, probably freeing ponies on your way.
Edit: There's also a recipe for this item
Smith_StaffOfCow Staff Of Cow
Edit 2: Rewards?:
Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_MonkReward Magic Fist Weapon
Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_DHReward Magic Hand Crossbow
Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_BarbReward Magic Weapon
Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_WDReward Ceremonial Dagger
Quest_Act4_PoniessFall_WizReward Magic Wand
Bad guys are horses?:
TentacleHorse Rainbow Western
Unique_TentacleHorse_A Midnight Sparkle
TentacleHorse_B_Unique Nightmarity
Unique_TentacleHorse_A Nightmare is Magic
Unique_TentacleHorse_B Generosity in Death"

Soule

God that black wall is tempting, I'm actually in bed right now trying to fall asleep but this thread beckons me, that wall of spoilerage specifically like a black soulstone.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sucks to be me. I work Tuesday, and can't stay up Monday night to squeak a few hours in.

Tuesday will be pure torture.

My roommate and I won't be playing until Tuesday afternoon. I'm right there with you.

Torchlight has nothing on Diablo, I love Diablo, but torchlight was very boring to me, bland story, same town, the graphics were too happy limited classes etc

jkoch

You're gonna skip blizzards cgi cutscenes? That boggles my mind. I mean, even if you don't care for the story, surely you'd watch them just for the eyegasm, right? o_O.

I'll probably watch them at some point, but at first I'll just be looking to progress as quickly as I can so I'll skip them.

As opposed to right now right?

This thread alone is being used as fuel to wake up one of the slumbering elder gods of madness...
No one's gotten banned yet. :p

Sucks to be me. I work Tuesday, and can't stay up Monday night to squeak a few hours in.

Tuesday will be pure torture.

I'm right there with you. I'll just be F5ing this and my shipment tracking page, counting down the minutes until I get to race home.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll probably watch them at some point, but at first I'll just be looking to progress as quickly as I can so I'll skip them.

Your first time through the game you're going to rush through it? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Lanbeast

I feel the same. I hate to have massive or even one lined black spoilers here.
It isn't even out...
How can people spoil themselves..

I don't mind people posting them as long as they're spoilered. What really bothers me is people responding to the spoiler. If you're going to say how you feel about a spoiler or comment on it, you should put a spoiler tag on that as well, imo.

scy

I don't mind people posting them as long as they're spoilered. What really bothers me is people responding to the spoiler. If you're going to say how you feel about a spoiler or comment on it, you should put a spoiler tag on that as well, imo.

Sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom