• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPARSTARX

That chest is almost perfect. Worth a million to me if the prismatic resist was above 55 with an additional resist to physical stack.

zlatko

Banned
I think most go with Earth for the additional HP and the taunt. I actually don't use the ally all that much myself.

Actually I may be wrong on the ally I picked, Air does the chance to restore 100 spirit right? If so that's what I've been using. Earth has a taunt? What? Doesn't say it in the description for it...

5% Life is pretty good though. That's the lower millions, though I'm starting to question if it's just because people are bad at math (+5% at 40k ~= 58 VIT and I've seen ~60-100 VIT Tal's cheaper than the Life% one).

Glad I read this. I was not aware +%life was applied to vitality. I thought it was applied to HP. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. I haven't delved into much math in D3 yet. When I get to 60 then I will be all over it, especially when PvP comes out.

Edit: Actually after reading again it is applied to HP. Right?

Raxus

Actually I may be wrong on the ally I picked, Air does the chance to restore 100 spirit right? If so that's what I've been using. Earth has a taunt? What? Doesn't say it in the description for it...

Earth was built to be somewhat of a mini tank. Still the monk has a nice variety of skills already so I find it hard to justify an ally.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fucking mess of a game. I keep trying to PM a friend who's already pissed off at me, and now he thinks I'm ignoring him - which makes him even more infuriating. He can PM me but when I PM him, it says "Player is offline". Later on I get an error that d/cs me out of the game, and it informs me that "The PM could not be delivered". Like what the hell is this, Hotmail 1999?

Fuck off Blizzard, you incompetent piece of shits.

scy

What?! That is incredibly overpriced. You can't put anything in those sockets that will give it more resist to all... and that's far better than whatever + stat you're going to put in it. Unless all the rest of your gear is just top notch then I could see that.

I mean good luck and all, but I highly doubt that will sell.

I'd have to crunch some numbers but +~120 VIT is worth quite a bit in Effective HP, especially if your resists are already good.

Resistances are good, yes, but it's getting blown out of proportion how amazing they are. They do so much because you typically enter late Hell and Inferno with just your INT Resists. Going from practically 0 to ~320 (50% Mitigation) is a huge boost; going from ~320 to 640 (67%) isn't.

zlatko

Banned
GAF down.

D3 down.

Yay.

Play FF14. I just started it back up yesterday in the down time and wow a lot has changed for the better. I'm on Excalibur because of an old FFXi buddy, but will probably merge to GAF server come 2.0.

Lima Lomnia, Highlander Male, Marauder. Let's play that during down times Yoshi CHIIIIN!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Play FF14. I just started it back up yesterday in the down time and wow a lot has changed for the better. I'm on Excalibur because of an old FFXi buddy, but will probably merge to GAF server come 2.0.

Lima Lomnia, Highlander Male, Marauder. Let's play that during down times Yoshi
Ok I'm on it!
On a second thought... fuck that :mad:

whyman

Error 73 AGAIN?! Its insane that Blizzard havent been able to fix this yet. Allways online drm is the worst and no developer should ever use it again... EVER!

scy

Glad I read this. I was not aware +%life was applied to vitality. I thought it was applied to HP. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. I haven't delved into much math in D3 yet. When I get to 60 then I will be all over it, especially when PvP comes out.

Edit: Actually after reading again it is applied to HP. Right?

Yeah, it's multiplied by your total HP. I was just saying that +5% at 40k HP is "only" equal to around 60 Vitality. The way people view some bonuses is silly :x

Granted, +5% scales with your HP so it's worth around 120 Vitality at 80k HP but ... that's still "just" 120 Vitality.

Earth description does say it taunts on hit with it's skill.

scy

Nice. This is the best item I have found so far, and it was only like 10 minutes into inferno. The money will help me gear for inferno.

Is this US? I was checking the AH for awhile on that for my Wizard and you can get good ones for the lower millions (like, <2M) and quite a few are under 1M entirely. I'd check that before throwing it up for 5M :x

I was just wondering guys.... by what we already know, what is the most rare unique we can find ?

A useful one?

Seriously though, I think one of the Rings/Amulets has the most random stats and the widest range of possible affixes to put on it.

To all the WDs trying to survive Inferno, unless you're in Act 1 (and even then), just drop the VQ+Dire Bears combo, it doesn't work. The bears are way too short range and you end up just popping all your cooldowns for VQ, throwing any survivability out of the window.

It's all about kiting, Splinters, 2.00+ Attack speed, 20k dps and some items with about 10-20 +mana regen. Here's my build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZUdkP!VWe!aacZZc

Here are my stats :

SipwI.jpg

Always keep Grasp up, 80% slow is absolutely huge. That + the wall of zombies and you're in kiting heaven. Not only that, but Grasp and the wall of zombies deal a very impressive amount of damage while you Splinter them like a machine gun. You can switch the stats between more resistance or more health, but I like the resistance. With the Splinters being able to hit monsters not even in the screen, you must try never to get hit. If they get near you, pop Spirit Walk and run away. It's super refreshing not to have to worry about the cooldowns being up like with a VQ build.

The AWESOME thing about FS is that because your attack speed is so ridiculous, you almost always have fetishes summoned around you and they're by far the best pets a WD can have (dogs and gargs being useless in inferno), since they deal great damage and can distract+tank monsters for a while. I usually run around with at least 3 fetishes at ALL times.

zlatko

Banned
Ok I'm on it!

On a second thought... fuck that :mad:

I aporogize my undercore Gosu friend. Seriously though, EXP CHAINS, monsters tell you what level they are now, exp flows, combat is sharper now with auto attack, a tutorial that doesn't suck, chocobos being ridden!, and more!

Going to be a warrior like a boss.

Now I can play two "bad"
Awesome really
games at once with 14 and D3. :D

zlatko

Banned
Yeah, it's multiplied by your total HP. I was just saying that +5% at 40k HP is "only" equal to around 60 Vitality. The way people view some bonuses is silly :x

Granted, +5% scales with your HP so it's worth around 120 Vitality at 80k HP but ... that's still "just" 120 Vitality.

Earth description does say it taunts on hit with it's skill.

Okay Earth it is then.

New question based Scy, what should a Monk put in sockets, amethysts for extra VIT and even on weapon for the life steal or?

scy

It's all about kiting, Splinters, 2.00+ Attack speed, 20k dps and some items with about 20 +mana regen. Here's my build:

Same for Wizards, in my opinion. 25% Movement Speed, 2.5+ Attacks Per Second and get to kiting oh boy.

If you can score a good Lacuni Prowler (+Movement, +Attack Speed Bracer) and a really good Unity (+Movement Ring and it can roll +Attack Speed), that will help a lot.

Shouta

Air does restore spirit for you at a 2% Chance, Earth has an attack that works like a taunt on a single target. Does damage and makes the enemy focus on it in addition to giving the player an Hp boost.

scy

Okay Earth it is then.

New question based Scy, what should a Monk put in sockets, amethysts for extra VIT and even on weapon for the life steal or?

Honestly, Shouta may be better suited for this question as my Monk hasn't made that much Inferno progress. I'd say Life Steal Weapon and HP everywhere assuming your DEX and Armor are already good enough (1k+ DEX, 6000+ Armor).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Same for Wizards, in my opinion. 25% Movement Speed, 2.5+ Attacks Per Second and get to kiting oh boy.

If you can score a good Lacuni Prowler (+Movement, +Attack Speed Bracer) and a really good Unity (+Movement Ring and it can roll +Attack Speed), that will help a lot.

I didn't know Unity could roll Attack Speed. Arg. I just bought one for 150,000 for the +Movement.

My lvl 55 monk is getting wasted in Act 2 Hell...most likely because I'm massively underequipped. Anybody have some good farming spots or sections for Hell-ready equipment?

Also, walking away from an enemy attack/desecrator pool just to warp back in right after and die is awesome. Definitely a unique gaming experience.

scy

I didn't know Unity could roll Attack Speed. Arg. I just bought one for 150,000 for the +Movement.

It's just a random stat and the last one I saw in the AH on US was like 4M or something. I just grabbed one with +Intelligence and called it a day; I'll keep checking for one that rolled IAS% that isn't ridiculously overpriced though.

All Unities will have Movement though (+6-7%). I'd try to get a +7% Unity, +7% Lacuni Prowler, and +11% Boj Anglers (Boots with IAS%) as well. Just makes it easier to get to 25% Movement and two of them will always have IAS% too! :x

Edit: Incidentally, we really need more Legendaries like this. Unity, Lacuni Prowler, and Boj Anglers are nice stand outs due to their weird bonuses. Movement on Unity (Ring), Movement and Attack on both the Prowler and Anglers (Bracer, Boots). Hell, even Hammer Jammers (Pants) aren't terrible since they have +Movement. That and they're like 40k or something silly cheap.

My lvl 55 monk is getting wasted in Act 2 Hell...most likely because I'm massively underequipped. Anybody have some good farming spots or sections for Hell-ready equipment?

Also, walking away from an enemy attack/desecrator pool just to warp back in right after and die is awesome. Definitely a unique gaming experience.

I was in the same spot as you last night. I just went to the AH and dropped a bit of money to get my gear up to par. I didn't pay more than 20k for any one piece and it helped tremendously.

Great WD Post
Great stuff and very similar to what I finally wound up landing on.

My minor differences between what you have is I used the Soul to Waste rune on Soul Harvest as I found I wasn't often needing the healing.

I was using Jungle Fortitude as a passive, but I think I'm going to try out the FS passive like you have to see how that goes.

Finally, instead of Fetish Army, I use Hex. He's got a very quick cooldown and he's really effective with champions as he gets rid of one guy who is almost always the one closest to you. I used the the Jinx rune as well because it amps up the damage to the hexed guy by 20% which just makes it even more effective for taking out the guys faster.

The biggest issue I had is that in act 2 there's so many things that fly out of nowhere to one shot you.

FoxSpirit

Gawd, got home from work just over an hour ago and all I'm getting is the goddamn error 73. I'm not even counting the 37's, they are fine by me, never takes more than a few tries to get past that one, but the 73 is the goddamn cancer... Are people actually playing on EU and I'm a miserable unlucky 1% or is the Bnet actually down? It says it's down on the breaking news in the login screen, but the server status says it's up...

I know that feel bro.

The year of 37.

Club of 37.

Haunted

What the fuck, maintenance issues again? Servers disabled?

Fuck everyone at Blizzard responsible for the decision to make this game have always online DRM.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Am I seriously going to get greeted with an error when I get home from work again?

Are people still defending this?

It's not about defending it, it's just that people are powerless to change these kind of things.

There's a 1300+ page thread in the forums about this very issue, but the last blizzard employee post is from 3 hours ago. It's infuriating.

scy

What the fuck, maintenance issues again? Servers disabled?

There's a part of me so angry that I didn't bid on things that were going to end while I was away at work. I could have gotten so many items for cheap!

Though last time I tried that, I woke up to money in my stash from getting outbid :(

Gawd, got home from work just over an hour ago and all I'm getting is the goddamn error 73. I'm not even counting the 37's, they are fine by me, never takes more than a few tries to get past that one, but the 73 is the goddamn cancer... Are people actually playing on EU and I'm a miserable unlucky 1% or is the Bnet actually down? It says it's down on the breaking news in the login screen, but the server status says it's up...

check that the account selected is the correct one. I kept getting this error until I realized it was set to Europe when I was intending to log on to the Americas server.

Thrakier

Fucking mess of a game. I keep trying to PM a friend who's already pissed off at me, and now he thinks I'm ignoring him - which makes him even more infuriating. He can PM me but when I PM him, it says "Player is offline". Later on I get an error that d/cs me out of the game, and it informs me that "The PM could not be delivered". Like what the hell is this, Hotmail 1999?

Fuck off Blizzard, you incompetent piece of shits.

Woah, those are not words I want to hear from you little green thing! :3

ParityBit

I was in the same spot as you last night. I just went to the AH and dropped a bit of money to get my gear up to par. I didn't pay more than 20k for any one piece and it helped tremendously.

Haha. Loot gathering game where you just run to the AH to get what you need. Ugh.

scy

I think I have the most posts in the Diablo OTs and I haven't raged at Blizzard yet! I'm going for a record here.

Haha. Loot gathering game where you just run to the AH to get what you need. Ugh.

To be honest, I'd rather have the AH than not; there's a certain point where farming endlessly for an upgrade is just disheartening. Unfortunately, the AH has been flooded with items, prices are all over the place, and items not leaving circulation so it's a bit too effective.

You guys catch the IGN article about Inferno and the AH?

I used to think of the Auction House as a curiosity, a backdrop of microtransaction static that, after the still-missing real money version goes live, could serve as a way for me to make small sums of cash by selling any absurdly rare items. Through Normal, Nightmare and Hell difficulties I found I developed a resentment of the Auction House, as it undercut the powerful sense of reward associated with finding items on my own. When a legendary Fjord Cutter dropped on my screen, it wasn&#8217;t some random Fjord Cutter, it was my Fjord Cutter. Even if it wasn&#8217;t as powerful as the epic fiery club I was using, I stored the Cutter in my stash. It was a trophy, proof of my growing heroic legacy, and not something I wanted to throw out for others to bid on, to turn my success into an unremarkable sum of gold that lost its identity as soon as I combined it with the rest of my funds.

So I interacted with the Auction House sparingly, tossing magic items up for sale for in-game gold, but staying away from obsessively searching for reasonably priced items with Barbarian-appropriate affixes, and snatching any absurdly low priced items to flip for a profit. Then I hit Inferno, and my self-reliant approach to item acquisition was no longer possible.

Even the starting area zombies hit hard, and the first wretched mother killed me in a flash. The armor I&#8217;d accumulated through drops in Hell difficulty suddenly seemed like napkins. I still had a level 32 chest piece, my helmet had higher intelligence bonuses than strength, and my shoulders didn&#8217;t even increase vitality. I was a mess, doomed to cycles of death and ceaseless repair penalties. I could have returned to Hell to farm better items. Maybe I&#8217;d find them in five minutes, maybe five hours, maybe five months -- such is the uncertainty of randomness. Perhaps I&#8217;d find a sword with higher damage, but to have a chance of fighting anything aside from the standard enemies in Act I of Inferno, I needed the higher damage and exactly the right stats.

There was no way around it, I needed money. Alongside a dozen or so rare items, I sold my Fjord Cutter. From the Auction House I picked up a new spear with life restore on hit and big strength and vitality buffs. I upgraded to a double-socketed level 60 chest piece with life regeneration and a helmet that gave extra resistance against physical damage. It cost nearly all the gold I had, and suddenly I was able to hop right into the middle of a zombie pack and whirl, slice, kill and repeat with little downtime. I was back in rhythm, but my victories weren&#8217;t as complete, as it felt like I bought my success. I didn&#8217;t deserve to make progress.

The disappointment of the near-mandatory use of Auction House interaction at Inferno difficulty setting lingered, but several new mechanics presented themselves to offset the sense that I&#8217;d somehow cheapened my experience by buying relevance. Elite-level champion packs and unique monsters, for instance, were still immensely challenging even with a few upgraded pieces of gear. On Inferno they have four unique attack modifiers, so they can be fast with extra health, leech health and periodically drop frozen bombs all across the battlefield. These modifiers can sometimes arrange themselves in combinations that make the elite monsters seem invulnerable. Even though I&#8217;d upgraded myself, there was still so, so much room to improve.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/30/diablo-iii-inferno-and-the-auction-house

More thoughts at link.

parasight

Wooo, almost done Act 3 Inferno. Just these towers left. Probably going to need to boost my HP to get through this section. Sitting on 25k HP with 666 resists when buffed.

ParityBit

To be honest, I'd rather have the AH than not; there's a certain point where farming endlessly for an upgrade is just disheartening. Unfortunately, the AH has been flooded with items, prices are all over the place, and items not leaving circulation so it's a bit too effective.

I agree, but in previous iterations while farming you would enjoy character development in the form of stats and skill trees while farming. It quickly turned into a WoW end game. [For me, and I would never judge! Just my opinion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom