• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

erragal

Numbers GAF: Am I wrong in thinking that Witch Doctor off-hands that give +% dmg to Corpse Spiders is really, really awesome? Most +% skill-specific bonuses give single digit returns (i.e. +6% damage to Spirit Barrage), but Corpse Spiders have such a low percent damage to begin with that 6% is practically doubling their damage output (I'm at work, so my numbers are probably off). Spirit Barrage has a high percentage, 180-190%(?), so an added 6% doesn't seem like a whole lot in that regard.

It also seems you can't filter for +Corpse Spider in the AH either.

Nothing alters the actual scaling on an ability. Those percentage boosts are applied to the final damage number after the skill modifier is applied to your base damage. The value of those mods is strictly based on how much of your damage output comes from that specific attack.

More life per hit and attack speed and what skill are You using?
I think that crippling wave with damage reduction rune, aura of healing with res bonus and passive that gives 25% damage reductions are essential for act 2.

Yep ;\ I've come from work, wanted to play and there's error ... Thanks Blizzard!

life per hit pretty much off the table right now, i cant itemize it for tanking and it really isn't worth it unless i'm dual wielding. I'd lose about 500 armor off my weapon, about 9k hp or more just so that I could heal a little. I think it's worth it for a DPS build but for tank spec it really isn't.

Cheeto

I find it sad that I'm working through Hell difficulty and I still have several pieces from normal that have not been replaced. lol

I just made it to hell on my fresh level 50 barb, died about 30 times on the way to Skeleton King to the rare and champion packs. I must be severely under-geared because I've tried a bunch of different builds and tactics and nothing seems to work well. I guess I need to go back to Act 4 nightmare and farm a little bit?

parasight

Spent a lot of time farming and buying.. This is my monk currently. I'm hoping they fix the class some time..

Any suggestions? I don't think I can really start act 2 yet, but It's getting there. I did beat all bosses on act 2 and most on act 3, but that was in a group.

You have way better stats than I did when I cleared Act 2 solo (hell, they're better than my stats now). You should clear Act 2 just fine with the right build.

JambiBum

I like this build a lot more than Zombie Bears so far. It doesn't do as much damage, but it's not as spikey or reliant on cooldowns, and provides better survivability overall, IMO.

How much did that knife cost you :(. I wish I could find a knife/dagger as nice as that..

I'm running a pretty different build from most. Here's an outdated skill shot:

hell_wd_build.png

Slight differences now: using Spirit Vessel instead of Spiritual Attunement, and using the last Locust rune for added damage. I prefer Blood Ritual over Spiritual attunement since mana costs are high with this build, and the added health regen is nice to have. Blood Ritual also scales better as my attack speed increases.

My weapons ends up working out pretty well for this, though it would be much nicer if it had IAS:

slicedeluge.png

Basically, Locust Swarm deals a lot of damage for very little upkeep, Haunt also does, and slows enemies making them easier to kite, and as long as I have mana regen gear (helm + offhand + weapon), I can cast Spirit Barrage nonstop and my mana will actually go up.

Worked great in Hell. Working okay so far in Inferno. Regular mobs and a lot of elite packs can be kited fine, though mortar/waller/fast can pose problems.

There are a few things that will make this build a lot better: attack speed and movement speed. If I can get high attack speed and movement speed, I will have much better kiting ability. I think this will be more important than raw damage in the end.

I like this build a lot more than Zombie Bears so far. It doesn't do as much damage, but it's not as spikey or reliant on cooldowns, and provides better survivability overall, IMO.
That's a sweet knife! What do you have in your off-hand?

Also, I demand pics of your character! :D

Soule

cgAsR.jpg

bahaha this just dropped for my mate in inferno secret level, it's 3am and I'm delirious

excuse the crappy graphics, on a crummy laptop.

Prinny

Hydra, Blizzard, Force Armor, TP with images and the teleport refresh on being hit for more than 15%, aoe everything whenever an enemy is within melee range spam teleport and you'll get away faily easily. Having over 20k dps I think is also suggested. You might die a few times but you should be able to win within 10 deaths.
That's my build except that I use teleport with wormhole rune instead of clones.
I managed to beat phase one but the green explosions in phase 2 one shot me with 25k HP and 350-400 resist :(

You have way better stats than I did when I cleared Act 2 solo (hell, they're better than my stats now). You should clear Act 2 just fine with the right build.

I have been playing with different builds lately for my monk and am a little too indecisive. I am currently in A2 hell (lvl 54) and am wanting to get used to an inferno type survival build but it seems trying to out dps everything is still a better option.

Picking a spirit generator at this point is particularly tough, there are a few good ones.

TheExodu5

Banned
That's a sweet knife! What do you have in your off-hand?

Also, I demand pics of your character! :D

I'll comply once I get back from work. :p

Offhand...I can`t recall exactly. It was a rare mojo with about 55-205 damage, some int, and other mods for only 10K gold. Not amazing, but way too good to pass up for the price.

Unfortunately, I paused slightly when I went to buy another offhand yesterday...it was about 60-200 damage, had over 100 int, and I think 180 vitality along with some other mods, for 200K. I really should have bought it...

I really need to get a good offhand with mana regen though. Mana regen helps this build a lot once you start having a net mana gain from using Spirit Barrage.

After that, the goal is to stack attack speed and movement speed as much as I can so that I can kite more effectively. I'm really trying to aim for something more viable in later acts than Zombie Bears, and I think I might be on to something. Only time and gear will tell.

parasight

I have been playing with different builds lately for my monk and am a little too indecisive. I am currently in A2 hell (lvl 54) and am wanting to get used to an inferno type survival build but it seems trying to out dps everything is still a better option.

Picking a spirit generator at this point is particularly tough, there are a few good ones.

I used to use FoT with Lightning Flash and I tried Crippling with Mangle. Both will probably get you through Inferno Act 1. But I always go back to Deadly Reach with Keen Eye. The range is almost necessary with all the terrible Elite puddles (Plagued, Molten, Desecrator). The armor buff is great too. That said, I do prefer Crippling when taking on Belial.

RDreamer

Act 3 is harder.

How is something harder than impossible? lol

Anyway, I'm a monk and I've built up quite a bit in the past weeks, and I still can't make much headway into it. It doesn't help that the game I just got into had 2 elite mobs attack us, then everyone left.

I think my stats are pretty good:

I have about 30k life, 18k damage (goes up to about 22k when I'm actually attacking since I have the crit bonus to way of the hundred fists... also, it should damage more since my helm gives 10% damage bonus to it). I have about 5000 armor, but that gets upped to 7000 or so when I use deadly reach (I alternate between that and hundred fists to keep the bonuses going). The build annihilates most things in Act 1, so it's kind of crazy how hard 2 is.

hylje

We're aware that many players are receiving "Error 37" and “Error 3006” when logging into the game. Error 37 indicates that the authentication service (the step that verifies your username and password, and checks to see that you've agreed to the Terms of Use) for Diablo III is experiencing a high volume of traffic and cannot immediately process your login attempt. We're working to reduce the frequency at which players are prompted with this error message and ensure that everyone can log in and play as quickly as possible.

*Slow clap*

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
are people finding shields better than quivers for their DH?

i've been using a quiver is most cases since i havent really found a shield that bests it, not that it is anything crazy, I just dont use AH.

TheExodu5

Banned
Going back to my build...

So, with Locust Swarm and Haunt up, that's about 105% weapon damage per second for 5 casts per 24 seconds in terms of upkeep. That's 105% weapon damage per second from DoTs, which means you can run around and stay alive more easily. If we add in potential Spirit Barrage damage, with a 1.4 attacks per second weapon and no attack speed buff, that leaves about 28 casts of Spirit Barrage in that 24 second window. At 190% weapon damage a cast, we're looking at 222% weapon damage per second from Spirit Barrage alone.

In total, that's 327% weapon damage per second, with pretty high survivability. Not too shabby.

(I know the math isn't quite right since DoTs I believe take into account attack speed to multiply the damage somehow...I think in reality the DoT damage is higher than I've calculated here...I'll have to see if anyone's come up with the formulas so far).

scy

(I know the math isn't quite right since DoTs I believe take into account attack speed to multiply the damage somehow...I think in reality the DoT damage is higher than I've calculated here...I'll have to see if anyone's come up with the formulas so far).

From what I noticed with Grasp of the Dead's tooltip, it's just multiplying the IAS%. I need to double check that it shows with all Grasp tooltips or just the Weapon Damage listed with the Rune that adds damage.

Staab

Act 2 Inferno is impossible. Those of you who say you got past it are lying. Stop lying. It's impossible.
I have to fucking agree here...
Squeezed my way hard to the end boss, but I can't even get past phase 1.

I only have 17k DPS and 20k HP and I can't for the life of me find better gear =(

idlewild_

Does anyone know what type of resistance I need to cut down on the damage reflection affix? Basically the only thing that's still troubling me on elites/champions (other than bullshit like invul minions.) I see other classes not having as much trouble with it, but I die from the reflect damage w/o ever being hit by the elites/champs on my DH.

red731

Yeah what the shit not like I wanted to play this day sigh.

Like what are they thinking right? All I have on mind is this game and even when I have so many unfinished games, this is the only one I want to play now and tomorrow and on Friday.

I was fine with maintenance from 0300 to 1100, but was expecting that when I get home by 1600, I will be killing stuff again...

smh, blizzard..

I hope I will laugh in the next three weeks looking back at "dat launch".

scy

Let me just stop you right there and point to the other two entire OT's, as well as this one, full of people hitting a brick wall at act 2.

You don't get to dismiss it quite that quickly. Congrats on getting through it, though.

That and the fact people go to Act 3 and Act 4 for farming to tackle Act 2 :x

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
At best, I think you can gear up enough Thorns to have Normal enemies one-shot themselves when attacking your Level 60.

So probably not ever worth it unless you can stack it to ridiculous amounts and still keep like 70% Armor Mitigation and Resist Mitigation. And even then, what the hell?

Yeah, but I could just use Lightning Armor and do the same thing anyway.

I think that is the one stat that needs the most work. While "Extra Health From Globes" is a bit shitty, I can at least see how it is somewhat useful (They really do give them a huge boost in high level items, 4k HP is nothing to laugh at, and Barbs have a passive to make Globes spawn more often).

I would take Gold Pickup Range over Thorns (Also, is it me or does Gold Pickup Range effect the range you can pick up/interact with items too?)

theta11

Anyway, I'm a monk and I've built up quite a bit in the past weeks, and I still can't make much headway into it. It doesn't help that the game I just got into had 2 elite mobs attack us, then everyone left.

I think my stats are pretty good:

I have about 30k life, 18k damage (goes up to about 22k when I'm actually attacking since I have the crit bonus to way of the hundred fists... also, it should damage more since my helm gives 10% damage bonus to it). I have about 5000 armor, but that gets upped to 7000 or so when I use deadly reach (I alternate between that and hundred fists to keep the bonuses going). The build annihilates most things in Act 1, so it's kind of crazy how hard 2 is.

As a Monk, Life on Hit helps so much you wouldn't believe. And use Enchantress of the CCs and Armor buff.

kagete

Stop playing with other people! It's inefficient in inferno since you are stacking the numbers against you with the increased damage monsters deal with more players. Try to either solo w/ a henchman or limit yourself to a party of 2 or 3. Make sure they're ranged DPS though :)

scy

As a Monk, Life on Hit helps so much you wouldn't believe. And use Enchantress of the CCs and Armor buff.

Even after all this, Monk is still my favorite class to play. Just have my DH/Wizard for easier grinding for my Monk.

Though, really, I sunk in like 2M gold between those two that probably could've geared up my Monk.

theta11

Even after all this, Monk is still my favorite class to play. Just have my DH/Wizard for easier grinding for my Monk.

Though, really, I sunk in like 2M gold between those two that probably could've geared up my Monk.

Same, I farm Act 4 with my wiz to gear my monk, It's kinda silly you have to do that but oh well, thems the breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom