• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitama

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I read other people talking about DH and decided to do a major overhaul:

Got rid of: Multishot, impale, vault.

Added: SS, Nether Tentacles, Prep (Backup plan).

This is so much better! I realized I didn't need impale since NT is 2/5 the hatred and can hit twice per shot, not to mention it gives me some life back (I luckily don't always get 1-shotted at this point), so it handles both CC and single targets. SS is a MUCH better evasion tactic, that can also be used offensively to give me those last few shots to kill dudes. Match that with another two chances to SS with Prep (1/3 of the time another 2!), and I'm in a much better spot than before. Thanks!

As far as gear goes, what should I be going for? I generally go for high Dex with some Vit (I'm at 36k life right now), but should I be focusing on All res as well? I have 163 total res at the moment, and I do have 5.7 mil in the bank. Should I be focused on more damage instead? I'm currently going with a 940 DPS Bow with 50% crit damage socketed. Thanks for your help!

Here's a reminder of what I'm looking like:

You don't need a single piece of extra equipment lol. With a dps that high and still average resists + life you can clear all the acts on inferno. I was very surprised when I saw you were having trouble with act 2 but yeah, it was just your skill build so no worries now man. :)

For the record, I had an easy time doing act 2 with 30-35k (with sharpshooter) and about 40-45k without sharpshooter (79-80k with) for act 3. Act 4 should also be very doable with that dps but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. Mind you that I only had 11k life for acts 1 through 3 which means I die in a single hit from every enemy attack, even from the lowest white mobs. With a decent res and vit (such as yours) you will do great. Being able to take an extra hit or two actually counts as +2 tries on a single life.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
going into inferno whats probs the best skills for Barb on this setting at moment

I will say that Witch Doctor should simply be ignored in such discussion. What a silly gimmick class.
Witch Doctor suddenly becomes a great class once you stop using pet abilities and just use his damage & control stuff.

I think I'm just going to forego pets entirely even after the pets get buffed.

Shouta

Crafted a bunch of helms for Khatoz and got some decent stuff. Final craft got him a nice upgrade to his current helm for his Barby. I'm actually pretty pleased with results myself, aside from my own helms being shit aside from the good one I sold earlier.

The odds don't decrease, they get better as weapon prices grow. The chances of you getting a good item is always the same, no matter what the economy is.

Let's say crafting a +6 is 300k (cost + materials). Say the high end weapons right now it can make cost 10 million. That's 33 tries to get one of those weapons.

Let's say that same weapon raises to 100 million due to inflation. The cost to craft is 300k, now you have 333 chances to break even.

If we're at the point where items that you are now paying 10 million for are costing 100 million due to inflation, then the economy is completely busted.

BigDug13

I think the crafting in this game only works in a game without an Auction House. Do you think anyone would have ever tried the D2 Gambling system if there was an easily accessible Auction House to buy whatever you need?

Auction House eliminates the crafting and "finding loot by killing" aspect of this game. Jewel Crafting definitely needs a boost. Why does it cost so much money to combine 3 gems when the previous game did it for free? You can lose 3 square gems and pay $20k to make a single perfect square, or if the commodities market ever returns, just spend a few thousand for a perfect square and sell those 3 squares.

Even if you do find loot in the game, it's generally not good stuff that you specifically wanted to use for yourself, but might make you some money on the AH which in turn allows you to buy the stuff you want. Diablo 2 you really didn't have much choice for the most part...you pretty much used the stuff you found, but in this game, you can sift through pages of items trying to find the right stats for the price.

Even people doing farming runs with valor buffs...aren't you just gearing up with AH sellables more often than actually finding gear you can use yourself? Especially since farming lower acts doesn't give you gear for upper acts at all?

mrbagdt

quick question-

while goofing off this morning in diablo (i just installed yesterday, only lvl 11) i got booted from the game with the message 'another computer has logged in to your account'. i am 100% certain i am the only one with access to this account, so is this just some sort of byproduct of lag?

i posted this four days ago, friday morning. the immediate response on here was 'that is not normal, get an authenticator' and that is probably what i should have done. instead, i changed my battlenet password and did the SMS authentication, but i did not have a smart phone that i could do the blizzard authenticator on.

played off and on since then, and last night i logged off with my barb at lvl 20. i had not played a single public game, the only games i had played in a party was twice with my brother. i have two friends total on my friends list.

get home from work today and log on- my barb was completely emptied out. not a single item or gold left. probably got 40-50k worth of gold. no surprise, there were two people on my friends list that i had recently played with but did not know, one lvl 14 and one lvl 1.

im not an idiot. i have never shared this password and the new one that i created is a completely retarded mess of numbers and i have never used it before.

i didnt get a authenticator because i didnt see how it was necessary as long as i was smart about things, but now i believe you have to get one because something about this game is just fucked up right now. i thought all the comments id been reading online were just conspiracy nuts and the people who got hacked were just idiots who had been stupid about their passwords, sharing accounts, things like that. now that it has happened to me, i just have to say that blizzard screwed the pooch somehow and i am really disappointed that nobody is admitting to anything. i submitted my ticket, who knows if i will recover anything (and with probably 12 hours of playtime how worth it can it really be).

Lesath

Bring your resists up to 500 and get a reliable method of healing, Life on Hit or Life Per Spirit Spent. 800+ for LoH, or 100+ (w/ Transcendence) for LpSS. Then it'll be a matter of figuring a build that works for you. I usually do this build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aZXigh!YXU!ZZbZYc

though, I have Blinding Flash - Faith in the Light instead of LTK - Sweeping Armada at the moment and Thunderclap instead of Lightning Flash.

How is Life per Spirit Spent working for you? Seeing as LPH is probably a tenuous mechanic in the long term, I am considering switching my gearing to take advantage of LPSS.

TheYanger

I still laugh when people say melee classes should be buffed

You're so edgy bro.
Go play one. Realize this guy has 100,000,000 gold worth of gear. Realize you can do it for 10% that price on a Wizard or DH.

Might as well post the video of Athene killing inferno diablo in 2 minutes, gimmicks are gimmicks.

Mitama

I still laugh when people say melee classes should be buffed

You find this impressive..? Take a look at his gear, that's insane dps for a monk yet it still takes ages to kill Diablo. If he had spent it on, say, Demon Hunter gear the fight would've been more than twice as fast. Diablo is a farming game, single boss runs shouldn't take so long. Monks really need a dps buff in my opinion. Sure, you can tank for a very, very long time but that's not practical for farming at all..

LegoDad

Having issues in Act II Inferno.. I can't do much.. Any suggestions?

j7zFN.jpg

Rokal

now that it has happened to me, i just have to say that blizzard screwed the pooch somehow and i am really disappointed that nobody is admitting to anything. i submitted my ticket, who knows if i will recover anything (and with probably 12 hours of playtime how worth it can it really be).

This would be what everyone says when they get hacked in any game. It's only negligent players until you get hacked, then the developer must be at fault right?

This is going to happen for every high-profile online game until people finally smarten up start using unique usernames and unique complex passwords for every game they play. Until then, hackers will continue to take advantage of the Athenes of the world that use the same username/password or a few small variations for every game and forum they visit.

TheYanger

Having issues in Act II Inferno.. I can't do much.. Any suggestions?

Your stats are on the lowish end but should be fine, considering you're not buffed in that shot. I'm assuming you're using impunity on war cry, if not do so. Turn stomp or leap into charge for the extra heal/CC immunity. Otherwise, just play intelligently with mob types and avoid avoidable stuff (easier with the charge to get out of cheap abilities).

Gotchaye

The odds don't decrease, they get better as weapon prices grow. The chances of you getting a good item is always the same, no matter what the economy is.

Let's say crafting a +6 is 300k (cost + materials). Say the high end weapons right now it can make cost 10 million. That's 33 tries to get one of those weapons.

Let's say that same weapon raises to 100 million due to inflation. The cost to craft is 300k, now you have 333 chances to break even.
Okay, I see where you're going wrong here. What counts as a "good item" changes over time.

Items last forever in the economy, and the playerbase isn't going to keep growing forever. At some point, there will be enough 1000+ DPS one-handed weapons in the economy that every (active) character at level 60 could have 1 or 2 that would be useful to them and there would still be weapons left over. At that point, the value of a 900 DPS weapon is basically zero - it'll be a buyer's market in 1000 DPS or less weapons, and someone will have a better weapon for sale and will be willing to offer it for only a marginally higher price.

Right now, if you craft a 6 affix weapon and get something with 900 DPS, you can take that weapon to the AH and sell it (for between 500k and 1m, typically). You won't be able to do that if everyone already has a 1000 DPS weapon.

As better and better items become more common relative to the number of players, the best items, which will command very high prices, will increase in price. But these items will also be improving over time. The prices of worse items, even though these items may earlier have commanded a premium, will fall, and at some point may become nearly worthless if everyone already has a better item.

Edit: We've been seeing this happen even in just the few weeks that the game has been out. At one point, merely decent Act 1 Inferno drops could get you a fair bit of gold. Now it's a lot harder to make a lot of money off of Butcher runs. Resist All gear went from demanding a premium to being pretty cheap. As long as people are getting a little bit more than what vendors will give you for an item, it's going to stick around in the economy, and you'll need to get luckier and luckier with crafting in order to have something that'll fetch a decent price.

Neki

You find this impressive..? Take a look at his gear, that's insane dps for a monk yet it still takes ages to kill Diablo. If he had spent it on, say, Demon Hunter gear the fight would've been more than twice as fast. Diablo is a farming game, single boss runs shouldn't take so long. Monks really need a dps buff in my opinion. Sure, you can tank for a very, very long time but that's not practical for farming at all..

zero room for error on a DH though, no matter how high your dps is.

Mitama

This would be what everyone says when they get hacked in any game. It's only negligent players until you get hacked, then Blizzard must be at fault right?

This is going to happen for every high-profile online game until people finally smarten up start using unique usernames and unique complex passwords for every game they play. Until then, hackers will continue to take advantage of the Athene's of the world that use the same username/password or a few small variations for every game and forum they visit.

Yeah, except for the part where you can actually spoof session ids and don't need to know the password.

TheYanger

Yeah, except for the part where you can actually spoof session ids and don't need to know the password.

except that that's simply not true, it's what idiots like to perpetuate on the forums. People are lax about account security, new hot game comes out, people get hacked. I AM SHOCKED, CLEARLY BLIZZ IS AT FAULT. Since this happened all the time in wow and SC2 because of their poor programming. Oh right, no it didn't. To put it bluntly, it's been like 2 weeks of people spewing this nonsense with no proof. If it were possible, it would be all over reddit and everywhere else, some IT expert videoing himself doing it, etc.

Trickster

Yes, Demon Hunter can get insane dps if they have insane gear. The problem with demon hunters, and ranged classes in general. Is that it's not really viable to try and get any kind of survivability, because you're pretty much gonna get killed in 1 or 2 hits after act 1 regardless. So you end up being this super fragile glass cannon.

And trying to take out someone like diablo on inferno where one hit kills you is really not esay at all, just take a look at athenes stream sometime when he's trying to do it, he fucking dies over and over. Some might say he dies because he's bad, but that's bull.

There's also a 180k dps demon hunter on twitch that streams act 3 farming. He dies constantly.

That monk however. He has less dps than the ranged classes sure. But he's gonna kill diablo on inferno without fail, every single time.

You're so edgy bro.
Go play one. Realize this guy has 100,000,000 gold worth of gear. Realize you can do it for 10% that price on a Wizard or DH.

Might as well post the video of Athene killing inferno diablo in 2 minutes, gimmicks are gimmicks.

Funny you say that the monk has gear worth millions and millions of gold. When you then talk about Athene, who has gear worth at least as much as that monk, if not much more.

And if you post the video of Athene killing diablo on inferno, please post the full videos where he gets one shotted many tries before actually getting the kills on diablo. That monk ain't gonna have that happen.

From a game design perspective, it is absolutely the solution sometimes. Granted, that might also mean making adjustments in other areas too.

For some reason, every single time - every single time - there is a balance issue with any game, the only thing players want is buffs to compensate for it. That just makes no sense from a design perspective, if the ability is too powerful, then it's too powerful. If nerfing it makes things too hard, then they can adjust other things too to compensate.

In the case of inferno difficulty I think it makes senseu

LegoDad

Your stats are on the lowish end but should be fine, considering you're not buffed in that shot. I'm assuming you're using impunity on war cry, if not do so. Turn stomp or leap into charge for the extra heal/CC immunity. Otherwise, just play intelligently with mob types and avoid avoidable stuff (easier with the charge to get out of cheap abilities).

Not buffed at all, but it just seems like I die way to quick. I don't want to avoid groups, I want to actually beat them.. Is the best thing to do, to run through to Maghda, which I heard is the easier part and just try to farm from there?

I had been using earthquake which is very good for elites, but I don't feel it's useful for others..

Been playing around with different attacks, My weapon is 750 dps... Thinking maybe go higher to 850.. Life on hit?

As said before nothing seems to drop that I can use..

TheYanger

Not buffed at all, but it just seems like I die way to quick. I don't want to avoid groups, I want to actually beat them.. Is the best thing to do, to run through to Maghda, which I heard is the easier part and just try to farm from there?

I had been using earthquake which is very good for elites, but I don't feel it's useful for others..

Been playing around with different attacks, My weapon is 750 dps... Thinking maybe go higher to 850.. Life on hit?

As said before nothing seems to drop that I can use..
Right, with those stats you shouldn't need to 'avoid' most mobs, just really bad ones. It's going to be hard though.

Mitama

This is BS that has already been refuted, but please continue to spread it. I heard joining public games can get you hacked too!

except that that's simply not true, it's what idiots like to perpetuate on the forums. People are lax about account security, new hot game comes out, people get hacked. I AM SHOCKED, CLEARLY BLIZZ IS AT FAULT. Since this happened all the time in wow and SC2 because of their poor programming. Oh right, no it didn't. To put it bluntly, it's been like 2 weeks of people spewing this nonsense with no proof. If it were possible, it would be all over reddit and everywhere else, some IT expert videoing himself doing it, etc.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Diablo-3-Session-Spoofing-Real-Do-Join-Public-Games-43162.html

Did you guys even read mrbagdt's post? He said he used a password of just random numbers. There's way too many people getting hacked for this not to be real. At the very least there's some exploit out there.

pigeon

Banned
im not an idiot. i have never shared this password and the new one that i created is a completely retarded mess of numbers and i have never used it before.

i didnt get a authenticator because i didnt see how it was necessary as long as i was smart about things, but now i believe you have to get one because something about this game is just fucked up right now.

So, basically, somebody stole your password, and so you made a new password and kept doing all the stuff you were doing as if nothing had happened, and somehow somebody stole your password again? And this proves something because the new password you came up with -- possibly on the same computer they stole your first password off of -- was especially random?

Gotchaye

More on the economics of crafting:

In the long run, crafting is never going to have positive expected value at level 60. When everyone has a nice selection of 6 affix recipes, everyone has pretty much the same ability to generate crafted gear. If one can consistently make money by crafting a whole bunch of 6 affix axes, then lots and lots of people are going to be crafting 6 affix axes, and the expected value of crafting is going to fall to around zero. The AH /also/ includes drops (and remember that items don't go away), so we never expect the price of AH gear to be sufficiently high that crafting for the AH makes sense.

The only reason you can make money crafting now is that the 6 affix recipes are relatively rare. But the percentage of active accounts with lots of 6 affix recipes pretty much has to be constantly increasing.

Neki

More on the economics of crafting:

In the long run, crafting is never going to have positive expected value at level 60. When everyone has a nice selection of 6 affix recipes, everyone has pretty much the same ability to generate crafted gear. If one can consistently make money by crafting a whole bunch of 6 affix axes, then lots and lots of people are going to be crafting 6 affix axes, and the expected value of crafting is going to fall to around zero. The AH /also/ includes drops (and remember that items don't go away), so we never expect the price of AH gear to be sufficiently high that crafting for the AH makes sense.

The only reason you can make money crafting now is that the 6 affix recipes are relatively rare. But the percentage of active accounts with lots of 6 affix recipes pretty much has to be constantly increasing.

I doubt it, six affix recipes only drop off of Act IV mobs. Most farmed people farm Act III because it's easier and the gear is almost as good. Once I see lots of people constantly doing Act IV, then I'll be inclined to agree, but as is, 6 affix are very rare.

Gotchaye

I doubt it, six affix recipes only drop off of Act IV mobs. Most farmed people farm Act III because it's easier and the gear is almost as good. Once I see lots of people constantly doing Act IV, then I'll be inclined to agree, but as is, 6 affix are very rare.

I'm almost positive this isn't true; I can craft a 6 affix two-handed axe but haven't gotten to Act 4 Inferno yet. Do we have any real confirmation that Act 3 gear isn't as good?

But regardless, I'm talking about how things will be after the economy has had a long time to develop. This time next year, a much higher percentage of active accounts will be able to farm Act 3 Inferno, at least.

RDreamer

Did a little playing on the auction house today and wound up making about ~2 million or so, so I splurged and found a perfect weapon for my monk.

It's a Fist with 749.9 DPS
52 dex
232 int (this is awesome, since it adds 23 to all resists!)
Each hit adds 380 to life (what I was specifically looking for)
and Critical Hit Damage Increased by 56% (really helped the damage so it wasn't actually a dip from the current LOH weapon I had). I got it for about 900k.

Mitama

So, basically, somebody stole your password, and so you made a new password and kept doing all the stuff you were doing as if nothing had happened, and somehow somebody stole your password again? And this proves something because the new password you came up with -- possibly on the same computer they stole your first password off of -- was especially random?

So you are implying that it's more likely that he got keylogged and that's how they got his second password?

People have been hacked with clean installs of Windows. There's basically three possibilities:

1) people download bots/random Diablo stuff and get keylogged
2) people have a weak password that's easily guessed
3) there's an exploit out there that allows you to hijack sessions and login as the last character the user used

1 would be possible if it weren't for the fact that this happens to people with clean installs.
2 would be possible but then hackers would also need access to the email address of the user. Ever think about that? It doesn't matter how weak a user's password is if they can't even get the email address in the first place.
3 is very likely since it does not require knowledge of either the username or the password, so the password can be obnoxious as hell and it doesn't require a keylogger either.

Just think about it. But sure, go ahead and believe what crap Blizzard feeds to people instead of making up your own mind. Do you really think they'd acknowledge an exploit when there's real money involved in this game?

Mitama

I'm almost positive this isn't true; I can craft a 6 affix two-handed axe but haven't gotten to Act 4 Inferno yet. Do we have any real confirmation that Act 3 gear isn't as good?

But regardless, I'm talking about how things will be after the economy has had a long time to develop. This time next year, a much higher percentage of active accounts will be able to farm Act 3 Inferno, at least.

It isn't true. I've gotten a grand plan from act 3 inferno.

Lesath

You guys think life on hit will be nerfed? I don't want to drop 10m on a weapon that might suck later.

Well, I read something on the official forums that made a whole lot of sense. To paraphrase:

First, the life on hit mechanic is incredibly similar to life steal, which is severely reduced to the point of uselessness in Inferno. LPH, probably as it did not scale with DPS, remained untouched.

That alone wouldn't arouse my suspicions, but let's think about it: once a monk (I am ignorant of barbarians, so forgive me) gets to a certain gear level of LPH and IAS, the returns per LPH is going to severely outweigh any additional points to defensive stats. That is to say, so long as you aren't getting destroyed in the span of a few seconds, a certain level of LPH is going to save you more than additions to armor and resists.

Finally, and the most important, LPH is pretty much the only thing (outside of LPSS) making the monk class work. If Blizzard intends to improve monk scaling in any aspect, LPH needs to be significantly reduced to compensate, or we would simply be overpowered.

Mitama

Interesting.

So, the authenticator does not make you immune to account hacks?

dayum.

The authenticator adds an extra step after the initial login process. I think this attack allows you to use sniffed session credentials to pass the first step but then you are stuck because you don't have the authenticator. This might be the reason why there's been no reports of people with an authenticator getting hacked so far (at least from what I can tell).

johnsmith

remember me
So you are implying that it's more likely that he got keylogged and that's how they got his second password?

People have been hacked with clean installs of Windows. There's basically three possibilities:

3) there's an exploit out there that allows you to hijack sessions and login as the last character the user used

There's more possibilities than that. There have been countless other databases hacked and leaked, for example. A lot of people are probably using the same email/password combinations in multiple sites.

pigeon

Banned

1 would be possible if it weren't for the fact that this happens to people with clean installs.
2 would be possible but then hackers would also need access to the email address of the user. Ever think about that? It doesn't matter how weak a user's password is if they can't even get the email address in the first place.
3 is very likely since it does not require knowledge of either the username or the password, so the password can be obnoxious as hell and it doesn't require a keylogger either.

Except 3 is impossible in this case because he was hacked while logged off for the night. No session ID to spoof, never played in any public games. So I definitely think the other options are more likely here. Nor have I seen any reports of someone being hacked with an authenticator besides that guy who was proven to be lying (it's worth remembering that people really will lie to try to get free stuff) and this post on an Associated Content-style website.

Even the article you posted has the (anonymous random) commenter saying "Well, I have no idea how they would do a spoof hack, but I'm confident it could be done." Is he an IT professional as well?

Neki

My friend only gets 6 affix plans in Act IV inferno, maybe it's just less common in Act III and under.

DTKT

The authenticator adds an extra step after the initial login process. I think this attack allows you to use sniffed session credentials to pass the first step but then you are stuck because you don't have the authenticator. This might be the reason why there's been no reports of people with an authenticator getting hacked so far (at least from what I can tell).

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Di...enticator-Attached-Has-Been-Hacked-43138.html

Of course, it's hard to tell if it's true...

I know enough about internet culture to know that people typing rumors on message boards is completely and utterly meaningless. What Yanger said is correct, if public sessions could be lifted like that, someone would have posted actual incontrovertible proof by now, simply by doing it repeatedly and demonstrably. Hackers don't have some secret magic inaccessible to regular IT guys.
Just think about it. But sure, go ahead and believe what crap Blizzard feeds to people instead of making up your own mind. Do you really think they'd acknowledge an exploit when there's real money involved in this game?

Uh, yes, they'd have to, or get in a shit-ton of trouble? How'd that work out for Sony?

People have a false confidence in their own experience. I did everything right! How could I be hacked? Insert bullshit explanation here that sounds reassuring.

People have been pulling this same bullshit with World of Warcraft for YEARS now. Nothing has EVER come to light other than "people get hacked because their computers get compromised", despite very, very strenuous attempts to claim otherwise. This hue and cry may be new for you, it isn't for a lot of us. Also, it isn't just WoW and D3 that get hacked, people get hacked in every MMO/online trading game out there, these just happen to be the biggest and most lucrative. People got hacked/scammed in D2 very, very often too.

Cipherr

Jesus Christ cant even post funny boss kill videos anymore without people taking it as some sort of personal attack or a statement or some shit and getting all defensive. GTFO for crying out loud. I suppose that means we are out of the 'New game' honeymoon phase and well into the tears and bitterness area already. Its been a few weeks so I guess I shouldnt be surprised.

Mitama

There's more possibilities than that. There have been countless other databases hacked and leaked, for example. A lot of people are probably using the same email/password combinations in multiple sites.

True.

Except 3 is impossible in this case because he was hacked while logged off for the night. No session ID to spoof, never played in any public games. So I definitely think the other options are more likely here. Nor have I seen any reports of someone being hacked with an authenticator besides that guy who was proven to be lying (it's worth remembering that people really will lie to try to get free stuff) and this post on an Associated Content-style website.

Even the article you posted has the (anonymous random) commenter saying "Well, I have no idea how they would do a spoof hack, but I'm confident it could be done." Is he an IT professional as well?

You're right, they couldn't have gotten his session id that way. He could have just been keylogged then which would explain a random password being guessed. I still think there's an attack that allows you to use something from the packets that are transmitted when you are in a game with other players though. Else people on clean installs would never have their accounts compromised.

Xeke

Banned
My game is freezing up every minute or two which results in me dying and the game is entirely unplayable. I played for two weeks with the settings on high and now even everything on low doesn't solve this. It is incredibly frustrating and has led to me to stop playing. I am calling blizzard to see if they know anything, if not I want a refund.

I love the game but this is absurd. I played two weeks with no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom