• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard please add a mode that autoskips all your terrible main plot dialogue and Diablo taunts. Whoever wrote all the townsfolk banter and follower banter can stay, he gets how to right fun demon smashing dialogue.

thats what i thought all along until it happened to me. but whatever, im just another one of the masses, i cant prove anything to you or to blizzard. ill go back to lurking now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to the fact you got hacked. And there are scenarios in which its not your direct fault, but it's still the result of things you did. A lot of hacking snowballs, so a small forum or website might get broken into and they might not report the loss of information or even notice it. Someone using the same account name or alternating passwords across sites like this is now vulnerable to hackers trying out those combinations across different services. In cases like that, you never did anything wrong but you still get burned. (This is why it's often recommended you use unique account names and passwords on every service you use.)

That's why I said in the last post that I'm unaware of how Blizzard handles brute-force attacks. Say they know your account name but not your password (someone you know gets hacked and they have your email in their contacts, it's publicly available somewhere, etc), so they use some complex program to methodically try to crack into your account. If Blizzard doesn't somehow protect you against methods like that (limiting the attempts per second, locking you out after so many failed attempts, etc), then that is a legitimate and troubling problem.

Fears of falling victim to those kind of attacks are the reason I use authenticator type technology whenever I have the option, whether it's for video games, email, or business.

Sothpaw

I know, I'm just saying, that's the reason why you have such low dps. You could easily get a 1000 DPS weapon for maybe a million or less.

I got my 938 dps, 10 mana/sec ceremonial knife for 850k on the AH last night. Not bad at all for a 1-hander.

1k dps 2-handers sell for around 20k now.

rCIZZLE

863 bow is your problem. I run 62k dps without sharpshooter on a 1260 dps crossbow. You need a good weapon if you want high dps.

Best I can afford is like 1000 and that's a blue without anything very special. Bow I'm using now is Hellrack socketed with flawless square emerald. Seems to be a decent roll (144vit and good damage) and overall seems better than the one I spent 300k on some time ago.

What kind of dex and IAS do you have? If you're not using sharpshooter then you must be beating the pants off me in both to have that much more dps with only 400 more wep damage.

Neki

Best I can afford is like 1000 and that's a blue without anything very special. Bow I'm using now is Hellrack socketed with flawless square emerald. Seems to be a decent roll (144vit and good damage) and overall seems better than the one I spent 300k on some time ago.

What kind of dex and IAS do you have? If you're not using sharpshooter then you must be beating the pants off me in both to have that much more dps with only 400 more wep damage.

Honestly I could give you a 900 dps crossbow for free, but I'm not sure if that'd be a DPS upgrade for you.

jn1h3.jpg

I have IAS on my gloves, rings, amulets, quiver and bracers.

Do people buy weapons between levels 56-60?

I got a Level 56 bow that's a clean 100 dps more than anything else (reduced level req) with both dex and vit but I'm not entirely sure that people drop money when they're so close to opening up the real weapon market

rCIZZLE

gearo.png

Most of my gear was bought cheaply with dex and res all as their only/notable stats. Even if I go for only IAS and max dex, ignoring res all, I feel I'd still need a few million for a bow that'd make any significant improvement from where I am now.

Looks like I'll be stuck on Act 1 for awhile. From what I'm hearing the weps that drop are garbage.. what about the rest of the gear? Could I find gg mods on anything (amulet, ring, etc)?

maharg

idspispopd
I've been doing this shit for hours. Last piece I need. Found the rest pretty quickly.

EDIT: Five times in a row, the wrong cave has spawned. Damn you Diablo.

Chiltara took me a few hours of grinding too. Really annoying. At least you don't have to do it again for further difficulty levels. You know she sometimes spawns underground and a bit shy, right? Make sure you walk everywhere. I think possibly she can even spawn up on the walls. And she's always on the second floor.

Chiltara took me a few hours of grinding too. Really annoying. At least you don't have to do it again for further difficulty levels. You know she sometimes spawns underground and a bit shy, right? Make sure you walk everywhere. I think possibly she can even spawn up on the walls. And she's always on the second floor.

Ha. I knew bitching about it here would make her come out of hiding.

Done!

Ashhong

depends what kind of dmg you are looking for. I have a 250dmg one hand if you want it, NA servers

My bad, I'm in Inferno, so I'm looking for over 800dps. I have a wand right now thats 700 and not cutting it. Do I need to raise my budget?

Also, exactly how does these weapon stats work..I still don't get it. Here is my dagger. Does it do the 700 damage, and then up to 400 more from poison or what? :/

Dr.Acula

Banned
i have been keylogged to steal... my password to diablo 3? i use this computer for everything, my banking, amazon, facebook, steam, everything. and when it came time for something to get stolen, they went after my password for diablo 3. after years and years of doing pretty much everything online i have NEVER had a problem with anything identify-theft related. and yet, without even being installed for a week on my pc, i have been 'hacked' because i used a 'stupid email password combo that had been used somewhere else'. im sorry, but it is simply not true.

This is the most compelling argument for me. People have dozens of e-mail, financial, and game accounts, but Diablo3 is the one getting hacked to bits.

Well, have you used the same password anywhere else? If so, it is a far, far more likely scenario than i think you realize.

First of all, a string of random numbers is about as terrible as it gets password wise, and your password is trivially cracked by a rainbow table. Honestly if youve used this password anywhere else there is about 90% probability that some hacker somewhere has your email and password. Like it or not, this is reality

Rainbow table? RAINBOW TABLE? Yes, if you're brute forcing a local file, but you cannot rainbow table attack a remote server. As soon as you hit x wrong passwords, the network guys and gals should be noticing you. x is usually between 3-10.

If Blizzard's security and databases had truly been compromised they would be legally required to disclose it and go through all the stuff Sony did when they got hacked. They can't just cover it up or they would face enormous legal and commercial ramifications.

Maybe Blizz doesn't know that they've been compromised.

It's all about the likelihood you can extract actual money from the hack. By the time Blizzard knows you're hacked, all the stuff is long gone. But your bank is actively monitoring all your transactions for suspicious activity, fraud, etc. Transactions don't go all the way through immediately either, they can be reversed and they're insured even if they do go through so both the bank and you can recoup your losses, etc.

I think it's because banks have laws in place that force them to implement whiz-bang computer security. Honestly, I just think Blizz has a bad security team. Passwords aren't even case-sensitive. What's up with that?

Stealing items from a character in a video game isn't a crime at all. You might get less payoff per hack (although there are a lot more countermeasures to make bank fraud less profitable than there are countermeasures to make selling items in Diablo less profitable), but nobody is going to break your door down. Why would you do things the hard way?

I think it has more to do with Blizz being a soft target. I think they have major security issues that they just don't understand. It's probably why they keep pushing back the RMAH.

Blizzard's server architecture involves a login server that does all of the authentication, then hands you off to a shard to actually play the game. That's why the login server can go down (error 37) but people actually playing aren't affected at all. If there were a way to hopscotch the password authentication using a session ID, it would presumably do so by skipping the login server -- that means it would skip the authenticator as well.

There could be some sort of very clever exploit that for whatever reason gets hung up on authenticators. The authenticator system naturally runs different software, if not hardware than the password server. The exploit may be very specific to the password server itself.

i think that they are stealing items from your characters, but somehow they are not getting your login information. if it was login info, i believe that blizzard would HAVE to say something. if it just stealing items and gold from inside the game, maybe they dont think it is that big of a deal and they are struggling to figure out how to rectify it.

This makes the most sense to me. I read another post further up by someone who changed their password after getting hacked, and got hacked again. It seems like the hack they're just skipping the password. And to people who do re-use passwords, I think we'd be seeing a rash of facebook and e-mail compromises coming off Diablo 3 hacks, but we're not. I don't think the Diablo 3 hackers are ever seeing plain text passwords.

The point pigeon was actually making was that even if they had information to all of your different accounts, it would still be reasonable for them to only go after your video game accounts because the success rate and difficulty of doing so is so much better than going after your real money. And if they get caught, there's a much smaller punishment (if at all) compared to bank account stuff.

There are a great many more people that want to get into your bank, than into your Diablo 3. I think it's more to do with Blizz having a truck-sized hole in their security somewhere.

And how exactly are the hackers supposed to get into your account without the login information? The whole id session spoof thing was a fabricated rationalization that has been disproven. And as pigeon has stated, even if the session spoof was possible, it would mean they could skip the authentication step. And yet there are no accounts with authenticators being hacked, meaning that the spoof does not exist.

Not necessarily. Authenticators have to be activated on the account before they work. Are people with authenticators going through a different server when they're connected? Are their account IDs formatted in a way that makes the spoof unusable?

Here's an example of an attack:

Escape Quotes - Most of SQL Injection Attacks look for the user of single quotes to terminate an expression. To really reduce the opportunity for an attack, simply replace all single quotes to two single quotes by using a replace function. By doing this, the clause for the WHERE query now requires both the username and the userpass fields in order to be valid.

It could be as simple as the password server and the authentication server has a single character difference somewhere in the code.

Remember, the password for Battle.net and Diablo 3 are the same. There could be a injection attack on their site.

Is it more likely that Diablo 3 has some super magical exploit that gets around the login servers or that the people who get hacked just want some kind of external validation that the blame doesn't lie on themselves? To what degree Blizzard defends you against brute-force attacks though, I don't know. So there may be a gripe there if such a vulnerability exists, but I highly doubt it.

I'm guessing yes.

Got hacked. Authenticator on the way. Super lame.

This is way too freaking common.

..and your password is trivially cracked by a rainbow table.

...only if these haxors have hacked the blizzard databases and gotten the hashed passwords.

Exactly. Seems very unlikely.

Unicorn

Can someone explain the elemental effects?

Like what does each one actually do when on a weapon?

I've heard Cold lowers the overall damage of the weapon, snares/chills.
Arcane slows?

Basically a breakdown please. Can't find a definitive source; plenty of speculative topics though...

Gotchaye

Can someone explain the elemental effects?

Like what does each one actually do when on a weapon?

I've heard Cold lowers the overall damage of the weapon, snares/chills.
Arcane slows?

Basically a breakdown please. Can't find a definitive source; plenty of speculative topics though...

They do nothing. It's all just damage.

Dahbomb

I've been doing this shit for hours. Last piece I need. Found the rest pretty quickly.

EDIT: Five times in a row, the wrong cave has spawned. Damn you Diablo.
You basically keep reloading the way point until you get the map with the cave that is like just north west of the way point. Then you enter the caves and search it entirely. Even if you get the right cave, you might not get Chiltara.

The problem I had was that the cave wasn't even spawning for me most of the time, I was getting the other one. The when I finally got it right, I go in and couldn't find Chiltara in the entire thing. After a few more reloads, I got another shot at the cave and found it. It took an hour or so of reloading and checking, probably more.

The rainbow one actually took me longer.

Unicorn

They do nothing. It's all just damage.

Ok, I'm seeing now that the AH has a separate search for "Chill on hit" "fear on hit" etc.

Perhaps it is just that a lot of cold damage weapons will have chill on hit as well.

Any cases of a fire damage weapon having Chill on hit? lol

LegoDad

So had a discussion with another player... Is straight + XX - XXX damage better than say lightning/poison/arcane damage XX - XXX???

Does the one with straight damage provide better hits with non main hits, since it's not elemental, or does it not matter at all?

My bad, I'm in Inferno, so I'm looking for over 800dps. I have a wand right now thats 700 and not cutting it. Do I need to raise my budget?

Also, exactly how does these weapon stats work..I still don't get it. Here is my dagger. Does it do the 700 damage, and then up to 400 more from poison or what? :/

I'm in the same position weapon wise, you're going to need a much bigger budget. For 100k you're not going to find anything higher than what you have. I think 800 costs about 200-300k for blues and 300k+ for rares. 900+ Jump quickly to over a mil

equil

iCjSfchjAKzx6.png

Is my belt really going for that much because of the resistance?
I had no idea it was worth so much lol, i think i started the opening amount at like 20k.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
iCjSfchjAKzx6.png

I had no idea it was worth so much lol, i think i started the opening amount at like 20k.
That's a sick Monk belt.

Lotta dex, good armor, quad stat, ok vit, double stacked res for 117 on one piece.

Damn so my friend just found a 1k dps wand with 160 int on our siegebreaker run. Lucky bastard just made millions. I'll try to get a screenshot of it later.

Monks using Poison Resist with their passive dream of belts like that.

It's funny because my brother stacks poison resist on his monk and he swears by string of ears whenever I ask him if he needs the belts I find. Nothing can beat that 10 to 20% damage reduction.

Cagey

Banned
So, DHs and strafe.

I'm sitting here with mind boggled due to a friend claiming that strafe (120%) + rune (crit hits do 100% more) + 75% crit chance + 250% crit damage = ~600% increase on his base DPS.

At first blush, this sounds impossible.

Assume 1000 DPS.

1000 * 1.2 (strafe) = 1200.
1200 x .75 (crit chance) x 3.5 (250% crit dmg from item and passive + 100% crit dmg from rune) = 3150

Am I crazy? Is this real life?

Dahbomb

iCjSfchjAKzx6.png

Even the bid for that item should've been above a million easy. Like stated it's practically the near perfect belt for a Monk with all those stats. Dex + Str + Vit + 1 specific res + All res, all values decently high.

Also there is a thread for this.

So, DHs and strafe.

I'm sitting here with mind boggled due to a friend claiming that strafe (120%) + rune (crit hits do 100% more) + 75% crit chance + 250% crit damage = ~600% increase on his base DPS.

Assume 1000 DPS.

1200 x .75 (crit chance) x 3.5 (250% crit dmg from item and passive + 100% crit dmg from rune) = 3150

I am fairly certain if you are going for straight up single target DPS Impale is the highest with Grievous Wound rune. For multiple targets you would go with Spike Traps. Strafe doesn't do a lot of damage and is very unpredictable on where the shots will fire. All of these options are still trumped by Nether Tentacles because that thing hits like multiple times and it's basically the BEST use of Hatred for DH.

Kaiden

Neo Member
Hx3DB.png

Price check.

Stuff like this is going for ~8mil on the AH but is it even worth that? I would assume so with the high +int as well as magic find, IAS and +all resist.

Also sometimes Act 1 farming gives some good upgrades.

FM7ed.png

Pop some good gems in that and I'll take it.

Chris R

Finally finished Act II! Took me a few tries, but in the end getting the right skill set for my DH made it not that bad (just had to spam elemental arrow whenever I had hatred).

Totakeke

So, DHs and strafe.

Assume 1000 DPS.

I am pretty sure it is not multiplied. It's just 100% extra of the base damage on top of what you have. It's like you just got +100% crit damage. Same with Impale with crit rune.

This is the most compelling argument for me. People have dozens of e-mail, financial, and game accounts, but Diablo3 is the one getting hacked to bits.

Ah, but without objective statistics this is clearly a problem of selective observation. All those other kind of accounts get hacked all the time but you just don't hear about it, and you're certainly you're not going to see that on Blizzard or GAF's forums. It's the case of the vocal minority. This is getting a lot of attention b/c Diablo 3 just came out, not necessarily because the rates of hacking are higher than to be expected. Same problem happens in WOW but you don't hear people saying it's intrinsic to Blizzard's security.

Maybe Blizz doesn't know that they've been compromised.

Blizzard obviously knows about the hacking, so one would think they would be investigating possible exploits to see if they had any vulnerabilities. If the hacks were on their end I have to assume they're not so incompetent they have no way to discover where it originates from.

I think it's because banks have laws in place that force them to implement whiz-bang computer security. Honestly, I just think Blizz has a bad security team. Passwords aren't even case-sensitive. What's up with that?

Actually a lot of banks/CC companies spend most of their money on post-hack solutions because it's cheaper/easier for them to fix the effects of the hack than to prevent it. The password sensitivity thing is disturbing however. That's so mind boggling stupid that I don't understand how that's true. They would have to go out of their way to make it like that. Have they commented on this directly? That makes me worry/rethink more than anything else I hear.

I think it has more to do with Blizz being a soft target. I think they have major security issues that they just don't understand. It's probably why they keep pushing back the RMAH.

If they were so incompetent however, I would have expected this kind of thing to be an issue in WOW, whose accounts more often have CC information attached. How exactly do they get less proficient with security as time goes on?

There could be some sort of very clever exploit that for whatever reason gets hung up on authenticators. The authenticator system naturally runs different software, if not hardware than the password server. The exploit may be very specific to the password server itself.

This sounds like you're trying to hand wave the issue of authenticator protection away too easily. Unless you know the specifics of the server architecture, I don't think you can dismiss this so easily. I see no reason why it would run on a different server, that would be terribly cost-inefficient for a product I wager the majority of players don't use.

This makes the most sense to me. I read another post further up by someone who changed their password after getting hacked, and got hacked again. It seems like the hack they're just skipping the password. And to people who do re-use passwords, I think we'd be seeing a rash of facebook and e-mail compromises coming off Diablo 3 hacks, but we're not. I don't think the Diablo 3 hackers are ever seeing plain text passwords.

Who's to say there is not an increase in facebook and email compromises as a result of Diablo 3 hacks? Just because you're not aware of them doesn't mean they're not out there. The vast majority of people never even post on forums, so the small subset we're looking at is anything but scientific or representative. They might not even know the two hacks are related if they were to occur. And if we're going to assume Blizzard is lying about everything, let's hold the people claiming to be hacked to the same standards of evidence. Should they not prove they got rehacked or that they did a clean install of windows or whatever?

There are a great many more people that want to get into your bank, than into your Diablo 3. I think it's more to do with Blizz having a truck-sized hole in their security somewhere.

Maybe so, maybe not. Unless you have statistics proving otherwise we're both just speculating. More people might want to get past bank security in the abstract, but I think more people suffer from hacks related to non financial accounts (email, facebook, videogames) than any other ones because it's easier, faster, and more successful.

Ashhong

I'm in the same position weapon wise, you're going to need a much bigger budget. For 100k you're not going to find anything higher than what you have. I think 800 costs about 200-300k for blues and 300k+ for rares. 900+ Jump quickly to over a mil

I got that 700dps weapon for about 50k if I remember correctly. I try not to spend more than that at any given time.

balddemon

Banned
You're not used to running away as DH? Well buddy, I have some news for you...

i mean on normal lol. lvl 35. my first character was a barb who is now 60 and struggling to complete act 1 inferno :(

but as soon as i typed that post i learned how to recognize his teleport attack and mash SS

rCIZZLE

Going to ask this again since nobody responded before. Are there any mods you can't get in Act 1 inferno? I know this seems to be true for wep damage but what about other things like max IAS on an amulet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom