• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

A lot of the affixes are stupid. Jailer? Vortex? There's no way to "out-skill" these affixes. You flat out get hit by them no matter what and have to pop a cooldown to get out. Nightmarish? Shielding? Invulnerable? Why god.

Things like Frozen, Arcane Enchanted, Desecrator... those are alright, since you can actually avoid them. More of these kinds of affixes, less of the ones you can't do shit about.

Vortex is weird. If you're ranged, you can los it with walls and stuff so you're only pulled to the wall. I assume it's less of an issue with melee unless it's coupled with arcane/molten/plagued/desecration.

Shouta

Nice. What kind of money/materials does it take to craft a six-property item?

I think it's like 35 Exquisite Essence, 5 Iridiescent Tears, 10 Tomes of Secrets, and 91k Gold for one try.

You could have probably gotten near 8 I'd imagine.

Probably but, 4.5 million is a must-buy for those kind of stats. I'd rather have the money sooner than later.

Feel like making some more ;D?

Yeah, definitely actually.

zoukka

So if I fight my way to Act 3 or even later Act 2, what are the good farming bits there that won't get you killed 99% of the time?

A lot of the affixes are stupid. Jailer? Vortex? There's no way to "out-skill" these affixes. You flat out get hit by them no matter what and have to pop a cooldown to get out. Nightmarish? Shielding? Invulnerable? Why god.

Things like Frozen, Arcane Enchanted, Desecrator... those are alright, since you can actually avoid them. More of these kinds of affixes, less of the ones you can't do shit about.

I don't mind Jailer or Vortex, yea it forces you to use an oh shit button, that's fine.

The absolute worst are nightmarish, shielding, & invulnerable, exactly the other ones you pointed out. Extra Health is REALLY dumb on inferno because of the enrages.

I'm totally OK with waller, mortar, frozen, arcane, desecrator, plagued, electrified, health link, avenger, fast, illusionist, yadda yadda. Most of them are fine. It's the few truly terrible ones that spoil the whole bunch. The AI is good with molten, it's coded to run around you lol.

Ferrio

Banned
It is useless though, yes you can get lucky and get a helmet like that. But odds are you don't get lucky, and spend a metric ton of mats and gold and craft a bunch of utterly worthless items.

You just described every other aspect of the game. You can spend hours grinding for gear and find just useless stuff, or get lucky and have something awesome drop. Sure you haven't wasted as much money, but you've wasted a bunch of time.

You just described every other aspect of the game. You can spend hours grinding for gear and find just useless stuff, or get lucky and have something awesome drop. Sure you haven't wasted as much money, but you've wasted a bunch of time.

Crafting is broken and Blizzard has basically admitted it.

The opportunity costs of the gold and materials you can sink into crafting are far greater than the potential rewards in the majority of cases and users. There will of course be power gamers who can make it effective for themselves in the long run, but your average player really doesn't have an incentive.

The AH has greatly changed the Diablo economy from one of slot machine bosses, to effective market management. Crafting is a relic of the slot machines for the vast majority. Occasional good items are the exception.

isny

napkin dispenser
I bought a cheapish 2H to mess around in A1. I tried it in A3 and it worked pretty well behind my monk friend tanking (ended up clearing A3). Went and got some upgrade pieces to boost DPS even more and went to A2i to try it out.. surprisingly effective! I cleared about half of A2 with 5 stack. The only mobs that gave me a bit of trouble was an elite swarm group with molten that kept flying around covering the entirety of the ground in lava.

GC_BARB.jpg

(buffed w/ battle rage & WotB obviously)

In A3 I float around about 8500 armor and drop DPS to around 25-32k depending on whether or not I spec out battle rage.

The only problem is sometimes you run into stuff where you definitely NEED 9k armor, 1k resists, and block so I carry around Justice Lantern, my shield, 1H and SoE just in case shit gets real.

I'm probably going to keep this build and even if I go defensive, I'll probably swap to 2H/DPS gear when I pop WotB to do 4x the damage I usually do.

BTW.. not sure there is anything more satisfying than procing revenge in a group of trash mobs and just one shotting them all :lol

GC_BARB2.jpg

I dropped to 43k BC/90k WotB to gain back some HP/resis

This has a lot of good information too:
http://www.clicktoloot.com/p/combat.html

Lots of theory crafting/info finding here:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?167-Theorycrafting-and-Statistics

Holy crap at those stats, and you're a Barb? Anyway I could see what gear you're using to get your stats that high?

edit: just realized that you're stacking strength and resist and have very little crit and vitality among other things

Ferrio

Banned
You should choose a different battle; crafting is broken and Blizzard has basically admitted it.

The opportunity costs of the gold and materials you can sink into crafting are far greater than the potential rewards in the majority of cases and users. There will of course be power gamers who can make it effective for themselves in the long run, but your average player really doesn't have an incentive.

The AH has greatly changed the Diablo economy from one of slot machine bosses, to effective market management. Crafting is a relic of the slot machines for the vast majority. Occasional good items are the exception.

They haven't said crafting is broken if I recall. They talked about some gem changes, that's it.

Yes now it's considered expensive by some since there's not much money in the system. Inflation will slowly rise making items on the auction house more and more expensive. Crafting will always be the same cost.

The cost/reward risk is great on +6 items, and will only get better as the game goes on. Quite a few people on this forum are making a good amount of money doing it.

Crafting is broken and Blizzard has basically admitted it.

I think the cost of crafting is fine the way it is. The game's only been out a few weeks, and there are really not a lot of gold sinks in the economy. overall amount of money in circulation will increase steadily and the blacksmithing costs will become trivial.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hey guys, DH here that's still struggling with progressing further than about 2 quests into Act 2. Here's my build right now:

Essentially Impaling as often as possible (crit rune), Multishot (fire at will) for CC, and Hungering Arrow (Piercing) for general shots.

Vault (tumble) + Caltrops (slow 80%) to avoid attacks, with Companion (Bat) for Hatred Regen.

Should I be sticking in elemental arrow in here? Or SS? I have a love/hate with Vault and its delay, but it is incredibly useful, and helps me avoid attacks amazingly well.

I have a lot of DPS, but I was wondering if I should be focusing on High Res/Vit items to help me advance further in inferno, and I get killed easily by any fast past of critters (Savengers, Soul Lashers, Sand Leapers, etc.). Any thoughts?

Hey Lordy, I'll give you some advice from my own experience having cleared all of inferno on my DH. Pick up Smoke Screen/Lingering Fog and Preparation with a rune of your liking. This combo is huge in the survivability department which is what smacks you directly in the face when you enter Act 2. I would also drop Archery as a passive and pick up Tactical Advantage. The mobility you'll gain when using Smoke Screen is huge and a massive help when kiting packs and mobs.

When you start using Smoke Screen, put it on one of your favorite and easy to use buttons because you're going to be using it alot. If you have trouble at first and are still getting one shot often, you'll find that you get used to certain mobs the more you fight them, such as the lacuni guys that jump your face right at the beginning of act 2. You'll get used to smashing smoke screen and your reaction time will get better.

I see you're using multishot and while I love it, it just doesn't compare to the damage per hatred (dph) of Elemental Arrow/Nether Tentacles. Sure it's slow moving and not really the most exciting of the abilities, but it hits hard and it hits often. With the amount of leading mobs you'll be doing they will often form up behind you in a massive conga line which will be usefull when spamming a trail of nether tentacles.

The rune for hunger arrow is often a toss up and I've switched between multiple ones while testing them in actual play. Devouring will hit and crit harder and seems to have a bit more stopping power than the rest, while Shatter Shot is quite nice with applying steady and consistent dps and will also benefit when there are more mobs. I generally swap between these two runes, but again they are all pretty close in my opinion.

Depending on what I'm doing I'll sometimes take Marked for Death/Mortal Enemy, amazing on boss fights where you can just spam Nether Tentacles. It's actually pretty hard to run out of hatred when using this ability. I will often run Caltrop/Bait the Trap for added crit on boss fights or sometimes Tumultuous Ground when farming packs in Act 4.

So overall the staples that are most popular are often most effective. Smoke Screen/Lingering Fog, Preparation/Your Choice, Hunger Arrow/Your Choice, Elemental Arrow/Nether Tentacles

I think the cost of crafting is fine the way it is. The game's only been out a few weeks, and there are really not a lot of gold sinks in the economy. overall amount of money in circulation will increase steadily and the blacksmithing costs will become trivial.

The cost is actually pretty bad, at least at the lower levels. I recently started over because I'm not enjoying the late game (AH or bust), and have found that the blacksmith is completely useless. It costs between 3-5k gold to make items while you're in normal, but the AH has better items, with guaranteed affixes, for a few hundred buyout.

Maybe at the end game crafting isn't broken; but for the beginning and mid game, it's a difficult sell.

Talon

They haven't said crafting is broken if I recall. They talked about some gem changes, that's it.
Blizzard said that Blacksmithing was too expensive at the moment and that they'll dial down the costs of upgrading and crafting in 1.03.

Welcome to Las Vegas

Shouta

On another note, I actually have the +6 Property Monk specific Head Piece too. I just haven't done much of it yet to see if I get anything good. I may try some more now that I have a bit of extra cash though. A perfect spread will be harder for that though because I want a socket AND a high Life Per Spirit Spent.

Narag

Blizzard said that Blacksmithing was too expensive at the moment and that they'll dial down the costs of upgrading and crafting in 1.03.

Yeah, their intention was for blacksmithing to be what people used to fill gaps in gear rather than the AH. In hindsight, they relalized it wasn't cost efficient for most folk so they turned to the AH.

Ferrio

Banned
The cost is actually pretty bad, at least at the lower levels. I recently started over because I'm not enjoying the late game (AH or bust), and have found that the blacksmith is completely useless. It costs between 3-5k gold to make items while you're in normal, but the AH has better items, with guaranteed affixes, for a few hundred buyout.

Maybe at the end game crafting isn't broken; but for the beginning and mid game, it's a difficult sell.

Okay non 60 stuff I could buy the argument, but crafting at 60 is fine.

Hitboxes in this game are so fucked up in so many ways. Why are fireball projectiles and any spell-shaped projectile perfectly dodgeable, but spears and arrows are completely fucking stupid and you can only dodge them if you are already moving when the projectile is released.

SO ARBITRARY.

Welcome to inferno act 3 as a DH.

Talon

I think they were just talking about gems and for clvl < 60.
"Other areas of concern have been both the gem combination system and Blacksmith leveling and crafting costs. The intent, especially with the Blacksmith, is that he&#8217;s leveling with you, you&#8217;re able to use him as an alternate source for upgrades. Our design goal is that once you get to level 60, his recipes are actually good enough to help fill a character&#8217;s potential itemization gaps. To correct these issues, we&#8217;re looking to adjust the Blacksmith costs for training (gold and pages) and crafting from levels 1-59, and reduce the cost of combining gems so that it only requires two gems instead of three (up to Flawless Square). Both of these changes are scheduled for patch 1.0.3."
Nope

forrest

formerly nacire
Any Demon Hunter's here Dual Wield Crossbows?

is it effective?

I had a 1088 dps hand xbow with 25% Increased attack speed drop. The thing has 2 attacks per second. I keep a bow and xbow in my bags as well and often swap between all 3 just to change things up. I think if I found an equivalent hand xbow and could get a lot of stun/fear/knockback/immobilize procs with high percentages on a gear set, then it could be a lot of fun.

As far as effectiveness goes, hard to say. I mean they dont hit as hard as the bow or xbow, but they definitely shoot faster. In group play or fight where you can plant and shoot I can see them being a bit more viable. I'm finding I like the bows the best as they offer a nice middle ground between hand xbows and xbows. I will say that the xbows do crit pretty damn hard when they have slow attack speeds and a high dmg range.

I had a 1088 dps hand xbow with 25% Increased attack speed drop. The thing has 2 attacks per second. I keep a bow and xbow in my bags as well and often swap between all 3 just to change things up. I think if I found an equivalent hand xbow and could get a lot of stun/fear/knockback/immobilize procs with high percentages on a gear set, then it could be a lot of fun.

As far as effectiveness goes, hard to say. I mean they dont hit as hard as the bow or xbow, but they definitely shoot faster. In group play or fight where you can plant and shoot I can see them being a bit more viable. I'm finding I like the bows the best as they offer a nice middle ground between hand xbows and xbows. I will say that the xbows do crit pretty damn hard when they have slow attack speeds and a high dmg range.

Problem is that a fast attack speed means fast hatred usage. This isn't as prohibitive for a DH because they will also regenerate hatred more quickly with hatred generators, but its one of the reasons why I do not favor fast attack speeds on a wizard. Unless you use a really bad passive, you don't regenerate AP faster with a fast weapon. You just spend it really fast.

Ugh, I can't believe I am even asking this, but what are the dangers to buying gold online? Is it something one should be overly cautious about, or is it fairly safe?

forrest

formerly nacire
I need a little help from you Diablo farming vets out there. So I've done all of inferno and have access to any area to farm including Whimseyshire inferno. I was primarily focusing on Act 3 when I really started farming and I was doing Azmodan runs which are probably about the fastest I can do. Start in the last corridor to the boss get 1-3 stacks then head out to any of the other areas to cap off my stacks at 5, then I either go kill Az or keep hunting packs since my stacks are already at 5.

I've gotten some nice loot, but I never saw any of the higher end weapons that keep popping up on the AH. Now I thought Act3 and Act4 loot were supposed to be the same, but having never seen certain ranges of dps on weapons I just assumed Act 4 is the place to go farming so I migrated over to Act 4.

Act 4 for me is much worse in terms of efficiency, but I can get 5 stacks and finish farming to diablo. I have yet to kill diablo with 5 stacks, but damn if I'm not trying! I guess this leads me to some questions:

Where are efficient places to farm? What are some efficient ways to farm? Where are people farming up the high end weapons? Is it best to farm bosses with stacks or to farm resplendent chests and goblins? Does anyone here do 4 player farming sessions for the chests or goblins? Does anyone know if Act 3 and 4 actually drop the same loot at the same ratios or does Act4 have a higher chance at the better loot?

Anyhow, sorry to spam with all of the questions, but despite being pretty successful at completing the content, I'm feeling pretty lost in terms of farming success. Thanks!

Xamdou

Finally beat the game on nightmare, started Act 1 on inferno with my monk and man I've died so many times I have lost count. The only way to advance is to get better gear from the Auction House?

Artanisix

Siegebreaker runs are the go-to thing right now if you're the right class with the right amount of gear. Start from the Siegebreaker quest, pick up Tyreal, go back to the beginning area and get 5 stacks of NV, and then go kill Lootbreaker. He can drop ilvl 63 items.

A3 and A4 can both drop the highest loot. However, A3 can drop lower-end items compared to A4, which means if you can farm A4, you'll consistently get better loot.

I need a little help from you Diablo farming vets out there. So I've done all of inferno and have access to any area to farm including Whimseyshire inferno. I was primarily focusing on Act 3 when I really started farming and I was doing Azmodan runs which are probably about the fastest I can do. Start in the last corridor to the boss get 1-3 stacks then head out to any of the other areas to cap off my stacks at 5, then I either go kill Az or keep hunting packs since my stacks are already at 5.

I've gotten some nice loot, but I never saw any of the higher end weapons that keep popping up on the AH. Now I thought Act3 and Act4 loot were supposed to be the same, but having never seen certain ranges of dps on weapons I just assumed Act 4 is the place to go farming so I migrated over to Act 4.

Act 4 for me is much worse in terms of efficiency, but I can get 5 stacks and finish farming to diablo. I have yet to kill diablo with 5 stacks, but damn if I'm not trying! I guess this leads me to some questions:

Where are efficient places to farm? What are some efficient ways to farm? Where are people farming up the high end weapons? Is it best to farm bosses with stacks or to farm resplendent chests and goblins? Does anyone here do 4 player farming sessions for the chests or goblins? Does anyone know if Act 3 and 4 actually drop the same loot at the same ratios or does Act4 have a higher chance at the better loot?

Anyhow, sorry to spam with all of the questions, but despite being pretty successful at completing the content, I'm feeling pretty lost in terms of farming success. Thanks!

The most efficient way is probably inferno act 3 Siegebreaker runs instead of Azmodan. You start at Rakkis Crossing on Kill Siegebreaker. This gives you Tyrael, who can be extremely helpful because his damage is pretty good and he will block for you (if you're a ranged class). The easiest place to farm elite packs is probably Keep Depths level 3. There are no soul lasher packs on level 3 (only 1 and 2), typically just quillbacks and skeletons which are easy. Occasionally you might get a bad pack of demonic tremors which can be next to impossible.

You get your stacks from down there and off the bridge and kill Siegebreaker, which is really easy. The whole run should take no more than 30 minutes and net you probably 5 rares minimum.

Finally beat the game on nightmare, started Act 1 on inferno with my monk and man I've died so many times I have lost count. The only way to advance is to get better gear from the Auction House?

If you're struggling with inferno and don't want to utilize the AH, you're probably going to have to do cheesy-peesy farm runs. Basically you want to start in the Old Ruins waypoint and look for a cellar in old Tristram. You have about a 50/50 chance of finding it, then there's a 50/50 chance of a treasure pygmy inside. This is a fast and efficient (if incredibly boring) run to get some decent act 1 stuff. The people playing on hardcore have been farming it for about 2 weeks because nobody wants to really push into act 2.

Welcome to Diablo 3!

Note that it is possible to advance with drops from A1, but the AH is going to be more efficient by a long, long shot, unless you're quite lucky.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ugh, I can't believe I am even asking this, but what are the dangers to buying gold online? Is it something one should be overly cautious about, or is it fairly safe?
If you have Paypal or a temporary CC number your bank can give you it seems mostly fine.
Act 1 is cake so you are super screwed gear wise.

I suggest cutting your losses and playing a ranged class. I made a level 60 DH and I can farm gear for my Monk! They share DEX so it works out ok.

You can labor on if you like, but it will suck, you will do no damage, and you should find a ranged friend or be prepared to play 20+ Hours farming.

Shouta might disagree, but I don't find playing Monk particularly enjoyable in Act II/III and I don't want to drop 5M+ on gear yet.

Revoh

Just to expand on it then, I say Strength is +1% Damage but it's a bit more complex than that. Here's the whole formula:

WeaponDamage * StatMod * CriticalMod * OtherMod

Stat Mod being the part where Strength works:
(1 + STR/100)

So, yes, +100 STR means +100% Damage. This doesn't mean your damage is doubling whenever you add 100 STR, however. 0 STR -> 100 STR means double the damage; 1000 STR -> 1100 STR means ~9% more damage. Just want to clarify that.

As for Dexterity and Dodge:

0 DEX - 100 DEX: +0.1% per point.
101 DEX - 500 DEX: +0.025% per point.
501 DEX - 1000 DEX: +0.020% per point.
1001 DEX - 8000 DEX: +0.010% per point.

So some DEX (up to around 500) isn't that bad for a Barb; I wouldn't sacrifice STR/VIT/Resists/etc. for it, certainly, but if two items are pretty much the same stats but one has DEX and the other has random_worthless_stat, I'd take the DEX :x

You guys are awesome. I'm bookmarking this post to read it when I get home.

MrDaravon

Since it seems like crafting is largely useless at least until Inferno/60, should I be breaking down any magic or higher items on Hell, or just vendor trashing them if they're not AH-worthy? I noticed when I hit Nightmare that I was getting different items from salvaging but I wasn't crafting anything so I just vendor trashed everything all the way through Nightmare, wasn't sure if it's different in Hell.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Crafting is horrible unless you just want to throw money away.

My first try, crafted 7 4-slot belts---this was almost 2? weeks ago---ended up with 7 horrible belts that couldn't be sold.

Second try, crafted 4 4-slot helms, all crap that I couldn't use/sell.

Third try, crafted 4 5-slot ceremonial daggers, one of which managed to sell for ~1m pre-AH tax. I suppose that one dagger comes close to covering my costs but I certainly haven't made money overall in crafting, much less crafted something I'd use myself.

It's just a lotto ticket that is too expensive when there are so many free lotto tickets in the game.

mileS

It also created the perception that the classes doing well were intended to rely on specific runes in all their builds, and the other classes were just broken. This is the opposite of what&#8217;s true. If any single skill or rune feels absolutely required to progress, it means that skill is working against our goal of encouraging build diversity -- and those &#8220;required&#8221; skills need to be corrected

Is it just me or does this sound like "we plan on nerfing the most powerful skills and runes that people are using for inferno." Shouldn't they be looking at the skills that are almost completely useless before this? jesus that comment makes me angry / scared for the future.

Since it seems like crafting is largely useless at least until Inferno/60, should I be breaking down any magic or higher items on Hell, or just vendor trashing them if they're not AH-worthy? I noticed when I hit Nightmare that I was getting different items from salvaging but I wasn't crafting anything so I just vendor trashed everything all the way through Nightmare, wasn't sure if it's different in Hell.

Vendor trash is the crafting system.

Basically: You vendor an item and they give you gold (mats), then you go to the AH (forge), and you use your gold to buy an item (you know, crafting!).

Is it just me or does this sound like "we plan on nerfing the most powerful skills and runes that people are using for inferno." Shouldn't they be looking at the skills that are almost completely useless before this? jesus that comment makes me angry / scared for the future.

I'm going back to my "they shouldn't have released Inferno yet" post. Blizzard was touting that people wouldn't be it for a month or six months or whatever after release, but people found exploits, beat it quickly and now have it on farm through the use of those spell combos. This has inflated the economy beyond where it would be expected to be at this point, and makes everyone who doesn't have class exploits or millions of gold feel underpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom