• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Going to ask this again since nobody responded before. Are there any mods you can't get in Act 1 inferno? I know this seems to be true for wep damage but what about other things like max IAS on an amulet.
Should be able to get all mods, but not all tiers of mods.

The ilvl's aren't high enough to get 300+ LoH on an ammy I would think, or it'd be a TON rarer.

*what eek5 said

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
what is farming pots in act IV? one of my friends was doing it and he said he'd show me but he's not on right now
Doesn't fucking matter, gold is crashing thanks to bots running 10M+ a day.

Ratios were stable 2 days ago and now it's dropped by almost 40% in value in 16 hours.

rCIZZLE

Well, that sucks. Hopefully I can find something with enough sub optimal mods that'll be able to fund the gear I need to find good mods.

Ugh having a cakewalk in Act III. Now right before the leddar entrance? I run into Vortex Invulnerable Minion Plague Demonic Tremors, Its the annoying Invulnerable too where it never goes away and you have to hit the rare... Yet they are all stuck at the door so I cant HIT or even GET to the gold one...

So fucking stupid.

Mitama

They do nothing. It's all just damage.

Elemental effects on weapons actually do add little side effects. Poison has dot, holy does extra damage to undead, lightning has a little stun, cold/chill a little slow, fire does aoe and dunno about arcane.

maharg

idspispopd
Hacking bank accounts is not as profitable as gaming accounts, and more importantly, a lot more risky.

No one ever commits risky crimes. Also lawl at not as profitable.

Why even have a password for your bank account? They should just trust you are who you say you are because no one would risk it.

This meme has got to die. People break into bank accounts. Have you never heard of identity theft? Credit card theft?

You can't really prevent bots outright. It's duping you're thinking of. With bots, it's more of an arms race, because a bot is not a hack or a vulnerability, it's just automation.

I'd expect them to somehow rate limit how many gold pickups an account can make. They should probably do something to control the supply of gold or it'll push prices way past what normal people are ever likely to be willing to pay.

Duelist

Yes! Finally did it guys!

DuelistHC.png

Acerac

Banned
OK, I've decided that inferno is not in the least bit fun so I've decided to dump my gold before it loses all value in a week. Some sites were linked earlier in the thread as a place to sell gold, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with them?

Ashhong

Is it true that Magic Find over 100% is pointless? As in, MF +199% is not much better than 100%? I ask because I'm using a friends MF gear, but my DPS as a level 60 wizard has dropped to 6.5k so I can have +199% MF. Would be nice if I could add intel and lose some MF..

Just took down inferno Belial by killing him just as I died myself. As revenge, Belial dropped 3 gold and a dirt clod for me. A dick till the end.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Blizzard obviously knows about the hacking, so one would think they would be investigating possible exploits to see if they had any vulnerabilities. If the hacks were on their end I have to assume they're not so incompetent they have no way to discover where it originates from.

Blizzard's official stance is that the users are being compromised. Blizz themselves might be the ones who are compromised.

Actually a lot of banks/CC companies spend most of their money on post-hack solutions because it's cheaper/easier for them to fix the effects of the hack than to prevent it. The password sensitivity thing is disturbing however. That's so mind boggling stupid that I don't understand how that's true. They would have to go out of their way to make it like that. Have they commented on this directly? That makes me worry/rethink more than anything else I hear.

I imagine financial institutions are very proactive with their security. Vendors don't update their security only after an attack. They perform internal audits all the time. A lot of browsers and OS' are patched because a dev discovers a possible exploit.

That case-sensitivity thing freaked me out. I didn't believe it, I had to test it myself!

If they were so incompetent however, I would have expected this kind of thing to be an issue in WOW, whose accounts more often have CC information attached. How exactly do they get less proficient with security as time goes on?

Lots of coding, lots of coders. Someone made a mistake in D3 that isn't there in WoW. The WoW server and Diablo3 servers are running different versions of software possibly?

Besides, I thought this was an issue in WoW, hence the authenticators. I don't remember UO needing authenticators.

This sounds like you're trying to hand wave the issue of authenticator protection away too easily. Unless you know the specifics of the server architecture, I don't think you can dismiss this so easily. I see no reason why it would run on a different server, that would be terribly cost-inefficient for a product I wager the majority of players don't use.

I think the authenticators work well. The authenticator is made by Vasco. They more than likely provide the hardware. If not, then it's on a virtualised server. You need separate servers to handle the accounts, and to generate the auth keys. At the very least, people with authenticators are making a call to the authenticator software. There is most likely an exploit, and the exploit doesn't work when an account is tied to an authenticator.

All your other points I didn't respond to because they're reasonable points. I like my points better, but as you say, there is a lot a lot of speculation going around and no one outside of Blizz or the hackers know exactly what the issues truly are.

This meme has got to die. People break into bank accounts. Have you never heard of identity theft? Credit card theft?

Truth. And it's not as if people don't get arrested for hacking websites and other "small potatoes" targets.

OK, I've decided that inferno is not in the least bit fun so I've decided to dump my gold before it loses all value in a week. This site was linked earlier in the thread as a place to sell gold, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with it?

I haven't been keeping up but what is going to happen that will cause this?

rCIZZLE

Just started reading about the bots and gold runs. This is depressing... I really wish they'd fix all these issues then do some variation of a "ladder reset" to make the game have any long term appeal.

balddemon

Banned
OK, I've decided that inferno is not in the least bit fun so I've decided to dump my gold before it loses all value in a week. This site was linked earlier in the thread as a place to sell gold, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with it?

idk if it's been answered yet but you just get the paypal email forwarded from them and the nyou give them the gold. that's how it worked when i bought/sold currency for a different game.

isny

napkin dispenser

They're only buying it at one cent per 1000 gold. I wouldn't waste my time selling to them. Do you really only want $10 for a million gold?

Acerac

Banned
idk if it's been answered yet but you just get the paypal email forwarded from them and the nyou give them the gold. that's how it worked when i bought/sold currency for a different game.

Was that with this site? I've not dealt with this kinda stuff before and it just seems really easy to grab the gold and run. If I have to I'll wait til I can do it through Bliz, but I know the market will already have crashed at that point.

They're only buying it at one cent per 1000 gold. I wouldn't waste my time selling to them. Do you really only want $10 for a million gold?

Yes I would love $150 for playing the AH in my free time. That seems awesome.

Radec

Is it true that Magic Find over 100% is pointless? As in, MF +199% is not much better than 100%? I ask because I'm using a friends MF gear, but my DPS as a level 60 wizard has dropped to 6.5k so I can have +199% MF. Would be nice if I could add intel and lose some MF..

Never drop your wizard under 9k HP. Force Armor won't work.

I've tried 45%+5 stacks of NV of MF, but still find shit. Lot's of blue too.

Gonna try to do a Gold Find build later. I've read that Royal Crypts give like 10k/min just by destroying pots and skeletons.

Better to get gold and buy in AH.

Wallach

Hacking bank accounts is not as profitable as gaming accounts, and more importantly, a lot more risky.

Well, per account they're certainly more profitable. Especially because if you're actually going to bother trying to break into a banking account it's because you're sure there's a lot of profit in it. The reason it's less prolific is because, besides the fact that it is harder to get away with and carries severe penalties, is that there's much simpler ways to get at said money.

We already had this conversation before in this thread (not with you, mind). They're not similar problems and don't have similar solutions.

balddemon

Banned
Was that with this site? I've not dealt with this kinda stuff before and it just seems really easy to grab the gold and run. If I have to I'll wait til I can do it through Bliz, but I know the market will already have crashed at that point.

nah it was a game specific site. you should be fine though, from what i can tell you deal directly with the site operators themselves. they probably turn around and sell the gold for more than they bought it for. they also probably have a live chat deal on the site which in my experience has been incredibly helpful .

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gonna try to do a Gold Find build later. I've read that Royal Crypts give like 10k/min just by destroying pots and skeletons.

Better to get gold and buy in AH.
Switch to mf gear. There's far far too much gold being dumped right now by bots in the past 2 days.
I know because someone who used to be on my friend's list was on, never replied, and had picked up 55 Million gold in 3 days.
Opiate plays like crazy with GF gear and he has like 13M on his 150 hour DH.
I've picked up 3.1M gold in my playtime.

This game's economy is gonna tank like a motherfucker, looted nearly a million a few hours through creative use of game mechanics. (no botting and just fucking around)

Itemisation patch? more like a fucking ladder reset.

No one ever commits risky crimes. Also lawl at not as profitable.

Why even have a password for your bank account? They should just trust you are who you say you are because no one would risk it.

I don't think anyone is arguing that bank account hacking doesn't occur or that credit card theft doesn't occur. I'm not saying they're not profitable or that they're so risky no one does them. However, I would speculate that low-value account related hacking (email, facebook, video games) is more endemic than high-value account hacking (banks, identity). There are a lot of protections in place for high-value accounts that don't exist for low value accounts.

Since the barrier to entry is much lower for things like video game accounts, it likely attracts a lot more attention from novice/amateur hackers who lack the skills to go after big fish, and are afraid of the higher risk associated with high value accounts or don't know how to successfully extract money from them. It would be very interesting to see some kind of estimates on typical volume/revenue associated with hacking... I would guess that it's probably high-volume low revenue for low value account hacking, and the reverse for high value accounts.

Blizzard's official stance is that the users are being compromised. Blizz themselves might be the ones who are compromised.

I imagine financial institutions are very proactive with their security. Vendors don't update their security only after an attack. They perform internal audits all the time. A lot of browsers and OS' are patched because a dev discovers a possible exploit.

I definitely agree financial institutions are going to have security far above what a typical company has. If Sony is any indication of what can go wrong, it's possible Blizzard could have serious issues within their internal security. But I don't think being proactive with your security is limited to financial firms. I think most companies do internal audits and continual revision/upgrading, it's just an issue of how many actually do those things well.

Both companies and users can be compromised. The difference is when a company gets compromised on a large scale like Sony they have to spill the beans. I guess where we disagree is the scale of the problem and Blizzard's ability to research it. I think Blizzard has the internal technology to measure and detail both the scale of the problem and its origin. So I trust them to be able to find out if they're getting screwed on their end or not. It would be one hell of an exploit if Blizzard couldn't detect it whatsoever.

isny

napkin dispenser
This game's economy is gonna tank like a motherfucker, looted nearly a million a few hours through creative use of game mechanics. (no botting and just fucking around)

Itemisation patch? more like a fucking ladder reset.

Wat? Please share with us how to do this =(

jsrv

What exactly happens in that case? Are you actually reset to before the fight?

I don't know about Belial but it happened to me with Butcher (I don't even know how I died), I just respawned with him dead and the dropped loot still there

Elemental effects on weapons actually do add little side effects. Poison has dot, holy does extra damage to undead, lightning has a little stun, cold/chill a little slow, fire does aoe and dunno about arcane.

Arcane interrupts casting. Like those Serpents who cast that lightning circle for instance.

eek5

Pretty sure it is only visual effects. The only one that does anything is cold which has chance to snare but the affix rolls lower damage bonuses than the other elemental effects because of that.

maharg

idspispopd
I've died fighting elites and then walked back to them and the DOTs killed them and the gear was there, but sometimes it happens and there is no gear :(

I once TP'd away from a unique I fought to unload my inventory and when I came back the blues he dropped were still there but the gems were gone. To be fair I did take a while.

Pretty sure it is only visual effects. The only one that does anything is cold which has chance to snare but the affix rolls lower damage bonuses than the other elemental effects because of that.

I read effects for each one on a wiki, but I've never actually tested it myself to see.

aznpxdd

Yeah actually I'm confused on how to set everything up, anyone got a link to a guide? I downloaded the battle.net authenticator app but not sure how to use it. Its asking for a 10 digit serial code and another 6 digit number. I don't see either in the app..

Anyone farming the underbridge chest tonight? I'm running with 240 MF and I probably only get a yellow from the chest about 25% of the time, over the course of about 40 chest encounters.

This is pretty unusual, it used to be almost every single one.

eek5

Yeah actually I'm confused on how to set everything up, anyone got a link to a guide? I downloaded the battle.net authenticator app but not sure how to use it. Its asking for a 10 digit serial code and another 6 digit number. I don't see either in the app..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMooMHss7W4&feature=player_embedded#!

This should walk you through it.

The serial code should be in menu>setup (write this down in case you wipe your phone)

The 6 digit authenticator code is the code generated from the app.

Anyone farming the underbridge chest tonight? I'm running with 240 MF and I probably only get a yellow from the chest about 25% of the time, over the course of about 40 chest encounters.

This is pretty unusual, it used to be almost every single one.

I read that they nerfed the spawn rate of underbridge chest but probably just anecdotal/bad luck rng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom