• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Yeah true, the 30% is huge. Had to laugh when they deleted a comment of someone saying "Very hardcore, doing ZK runs to get to level 60 and then 5 days of goblin runs". True though, ZK runs gives you a serious head start so it's kinda hypocrital when Kripp says he's done act 2 legit lol.

I think even in the HC community people don't give a fuck how you get to level 60. If you have gear waiting for you to slap on at 60 you got it somewhere, and if you put it on in Inferno you're risking it like everyone else. I mean if he actually cheesed something in A2 it might be a different story, but there's a pretty thin line between "cheese" and "not stupid" when it comes to surviving in HC. I didn't watch any of his A2 streams so I don't know.

Mitama

How do people get to 25% movement speed? Looks like its only on boots and the highest I see in ah is 12%.

Demon hunters have a passive that gives you another 15% but it caps at 25% total. Other classes can get it from boots, pants (e.g. Inna's Glory) and wrists (Lacuni Prowlers). Probably some other slots too. It has to be a unique though since only boots can offer you movement speed.

Mitama

I think even in the HC community people don't give a fuck how you get to level 60. If you have gear waiting for you to slap on at 60 you got it somewhere, and if you put it on in Inferno you're risking it like everyone else. I mean if he actually cheesed something in A2 it might be a different story, but there's a pretty thin line between "cheese" and "not stupid" when it comes to surviving in HC. I didn't watch any of his A2 streams so I don't know.

But there's no risk involved.. Like at all. If you do 3x ZK glitch runs from 1-60 then where's the risk? You sit in town, talk to Adria and get the quest rewards. Would've been nice to see progress throughout Hell, you know?

Neki

But there's no risk involved.. Like at all. If you do 3x ZK glitch runs from 1-60 then where's the risk? You sit in town, talk to Adria and get the quest rewards. Would've been nice to see progress throughout Hell, you know?

Diablo is all about dat endgame son.

Wallach

There's little risk 1-60 to begin with. What I'm saying is nobody cares what happens up to 60. They care about what you do in Inferno. It's not hard to get a level 60 in HC, it's hard to actually do anything with it. If you don't have gear waiting for you, it's totally worthless, and if you do have gear waiting for you... you're risking it by actually using it in Inferno like everyone else.

Maybe if Hell were more challenging or leveling was a longer process, but it's just not a factor in this game.

Mitama

Diablo is all about dat endgame son.

There's little risk 1-60 to begin with. What I'm saying is nobody cares what happens up to 60. They care about what you do in Inferno. It's not hard to get a level 60 in HC, it's hard to actually do anything with it. If you don't have gear waiting for you, it's totally worthless, and if you do have gear waiting for you... you're risking it by actually using it in Inferno like everyone else.

Maybe if Hell were more challenging or leveling was a longer process, but it's just not a factor in this game.

Thing is, the more time you spend, the more risk you have of fucking up. Kungen for example got 175 hours on his barb when he died. Kripp got 77 hours and over 80% of that is probably from farming goblins. How is that not a big deal? You guys seem to forget that this is hardcore and other legit players have worked their way up to get this far. Come on, don't tell me that you never died at least once in NM/Hell :). Also, you hardly need any gear to start farming the act 1 inferno goblins. Goblins don't even touch you and that waypoint is very easy to reach.

That's why I have far more respect for Kungen. They actually did everything legit and didn't rush anything. If you are a fresh player in hardcore and you use forum gold to get decent inferno act 1 gear (decent enough to get to the goblin lol) and just use glitched ZK runs to get to level 60 you'd say that involves as much risk as doing it legit?

Neki

Thing is, the more time you spend, the more risk you have of fucking up. Kungen for example got 175 hours on his barb when he died. Kripp got 77 hours and over 80% of that is probably from farming goblins. How is that not a big deal? You guys seem to forget that this is hardcore and other legit players have worked their way up to get this far. Come on, don't tell me that you never died at least once in NM/Hell :). Also, you hardly need any gear to start farming the act 1 inferno goblins. Goblins don't even touch you and that waypoint is very easy to reach.

That's why I have far more respect for Kungen. They actually did everything legit and didn't rush anything. If you are a fresh player in hardcore and you use forum gold to get decent inferno act 1 gear (decent enough to get to the goblin lol) and just use glitched ZK runs to get to level 60 you'd say that involves as much risk as doing it legit?

Kungen also spends a huge amount of time goblin farming too so I don't really see your point.

sega4ever

glitch? isn't it more of a design flaw of their whole checkpoint system? its the reason why exp, goblins and chests are farmable in these manners.

Wallach

It's not a big deal because even if he hadn't done ZK runs, he could have done any number of cheesy, safe ways to level to 60. The reality is it doesn't matter because even if you get to 60, you haven't started making any worthwhile progress. That doesn't actually begin in this game until you start Inferno. I mean part of the reason Kungen had 175 hours was because he spent the majority of that time in act 1 farming gobbos and the route to Butcher. That's the riskiest thing he ever engaged in and it isn't even really what killed him.

The way this game's HC mode is set up, there's no value in having a 60 HC character unless you can do something with it. The real gambit begins in Inferno. Most people don't give a shit how you get there because none of it helps you once you're there.

Mitama

glitch? isn't it more of a design flaw of their whole checkpoint system? its the reason why exp, goblins and chests are farmable in these manners.

Lol, checkpoints aren't glitches. ZK glitch runs give you 3x the experience and gold without any risk involved whatsoever.

Mitama

It's not a big deal because even if he hadn't done ZK runs, he could have done any number of cheesy, safe ways to level to 60. The reality is it doesn't matter because even if you get to 60, you haven't started making any worthwhile progress. That doesn't actually begin in this game until you start Inferno. I mean part of the reason Kungen had 175 hours was because he spent the majority of that time in act 1 farming gobbos and the route to Butcher. That's the riskiest thing he ever engaged in and it isn't even really what killed him.

The way this game's HC mode is set up, there's no value in having a 60 HC character unless you can do something with it. The real gambit begins in Inferno. Most people don't give a shit how you get there because none of it helps you once you're there.

Yeah man, I know the endgame is the most important but you can still fuck up on the journey to 60. You guys act like you never died in Hell, I mean come on. By glitching to 60 there's 0% skill involved. Then there's the need for gear which just takes time farming goblins which is also easy as fuck. You do realize most hardcore players don't even make it to inferno right?

Very disappointed that the game is farmable to this extent. There is no way the game should've been released in a state where there is any predictability to the adventuring areas. I can understand some fixed areas of the map (e.g., where events take place) but everything else should be totally unpredictable -- especially placement of chests, goblins, and the like. There's just no excuse for that. Replacing D2 boss runs with goblin and chest runs is not an improvement.

If you can get a friend (or 2, even better) to run you, it can be lightning quick using Resume Game to get multiple turn-ins

can someone explain this in detail regarding kuelle runs?(sorry if I missed it I'm browsing on a tablet)trying to get a friend caught up to the rest of us.

Wallach

Yeah man, I know the endgame is the most important but you can still fuck up on the journey to 60. You guys act like you never died in Hell, I mean come on. By glitching to 60 there's 0% skill involved. Then there's the need for gear which just takes time farming goblins which is also easy as fuck. You do realize most hardcore players don't even make it to inferno right?

Right, but fucking up on the journey to 60 is the least important place to fuck up in HC. Nobody would even care or bat an eye. It doesn't matter.

This isn't Diablo 2 HC mode, there is no real worthwhile economy in the actual character you are playing. All of it has been shifted to the gear you are wearing and the gear in your inventory while you play, and nobody in HC D3 wears good gear to level for exactly this reason. The characters are throw away until you put something good on them, because when you die that is the economy you are permanently risking. You can raise another Barbarian in all manners of way very fast (and in fact a lot of HC players have backup 60s for this very reason); there's no way to replace anything you are carrying if you die.

Back in Diablo 2 this wasn't how HC worked, because most of the "permanent" economy you were risking was your actual character. You could even get the loot back sometimes if someone was willing to risk looting you. All of that economy has been moved off the character and onto the items. That's why nobody cares, they've changed the game mechanics to make it pretty irrelevant.

SleazyC

Finally took care of Belial on my Demon Hunter. Act 3 is fun with all the mobs that have ranged attacks that can one shot me and all the dungeon with tight corridors. Going to be one hell of a frustrating ride up to Azmodan.

SUPARSTARX

Act 3 hurts on Inferno man. Those hell lizard flying things that run and chuck fireballs at me with no downtime... I don't know how I'm going to survive some of the crap in the open fields. It's almost impossible.

Cheeto

Last night I did 3 solo butcher runs on my barb... they seemed pretty easy. I thought I could progress to act 2, NOPE. Not even close, I get owned by the first set of regular mobs that ambush you in the canyon. WTF kind of stats do I need? I'm sitting at 42k HP, ~500-600 all resist, 68% physical reduct, and 18k unbuffed dps...still getting owned.

SUPARSTARX

You will need some life on hit to off set some of the damage. Having resists and armor isn't enough when you cannot recover life fast enough via cooldowns.

Lain

Finally finished normal yesterday, what a letdown that ending was, and the damn compressed CG movies... after that ending, also getting more compressed stuff rubs it in even harder.
Game is addicting though.

DSmalls84

I have an 850 dmg ceremonial knife with no stat modifiers on it. If I got an 800 dmg knife with 200 Int but the same attack speed, would the extra int bonus on the second weapon be worth the upgrade as far as damage output is concerned?

Wallach

I have an 850 dmg ceremonial knife with no stat modifiers on it. If I got an 800 dmg knife with 200 Int but the same attack speed, would the extra int bonus on the second weapon be worth the upgrade as far as damage output is concerned?

Yeah it should be a sizeable upgrade.

SUPARSTARX

What pieces is that available on? I have only about 200 or so on my weapon at the moment.

I have 1.2k
900 on weapon, 300 on amulet (kymbo's)

I'm looking to get another 200-300 off one ring so I can feel more safe taking 12k hammers to the face while I frenzy people in doorways. lol.

Life on hit also scales really good with increased attack speed.

Wallach

I was just trying to get an idea if it was worth spending roughly 2 million for that upgrade or waiting until I can afford a 1000 damage 1 hander?

To be honest I'm not the guy to ask exactly about the proper value of rare 1h weapons. If we were talking about bows I'd be able to help you better.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wizard Gaf,

How do you keep your AP full or regenerating fast ?

I'm using this skillset: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aROXQc!Yfc!YbcaYc

I can only cast like 3 orbs before AP runs out. And since I'm using a 2 hander, my Attack speed is slow. :/
I have a 2 hander, have beaten Belial and cleared the first quest of act 3 on Inferno so far. My build is similar to yours but I like to have a way to escape (illusionist) and something to kite (arcane hydra + flux passive). Also seeker MM for shooting from around the corner.
My build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acOXQR!YdU!cYcaYa
Use tap the source, it's better in the long run (I've been using celestial orb too until I hit Inferno).

scy

I was just trying to get an idea if it was worth spending roughly 2 million for that upgrade or waiting until I can afford a 1000 damage 1 hander?

(1 + [CurrentINT / 100]) * Current Weapon DPS vs (1 + [CurrentINT + WeaponINT / 100]) * New Weapon DPS

So, random numbers gg:

(1 + 1000 / 100) * 850 vs (1 + 1200 / 100) * 800
9350 vs 10400

That 800 Weapon with 200 INT is roughly equal to around a 950 DPS Weapon assuming your current INT is 1000. These are all approximations though (e.g., ignoring +IAS%) but should give you some idea of where it'll sit.

Xanathus

I just found the Development Hell dungeon, anybody want in for that achievement? PM me your btag, I'll wait for ~5 minutes.
edit: closed

Number45

Straight back in to the SK on Inferno and managed him first time. First time I've fought him and actually paid attention to his attacks (as his big hit is a straight one shot on me).

red731

I just found the Development Hell dungeon, anybody want in for that achievement? PM me your btag, I'll wait for ~5 minutes.
edit: closed

:lol. I found Quality Well in Old Tristram way back.

Great that we can kill them for the stuff we are going through sometimes.

yacobod

Banned
(1 + [CurrentINT / 100]) * Current Weapon DPS vs (1 + [CurrentINT + WeaponINT / 100]) * New Weapon DPS

So, random numbers gg:

9350 vs 10400

That 800 Weapon with 200 INT is roughly equal to around a 950 DPS Weapon assuming your current INT is 1000. These are all approximations though (e.g., ignoring +IAS%) but should give you some idea of where it'll sit.

and depending on your wizard build (orb/hydra), IAS isn't really the DPS increase that it shows in game.

for 2H wizard builds, i think ppl are better off looking at the min/max damage on the weapon and ignoring the DPS.

for 1h/source it's a different story, but i don't have the gold to sink into that yet.

Swig_

I just hit 60.. What would be best as far as upgrading gear? Should I buy some reasonable, but cheap 60 gear (already bought weapons, doubled my DPS) or should i save up piece by piece and try to get some exceptional pieces? I just don't know how I'll fare on Inferno. I haven't tried it yet, about to take down Diablo on Hell. My new weapons are two 1 handers, both slightly over 500 DPS each with some pretty solid stats. I play a Monk. I think my resistances are around 300 each.

What do you guys think of this Wizard build? Kind of feels like I am playing a frost mage in WoW. Its weird but I have been pretty much using the same abilities since level 15 minus a few rune adjustments.

So far I am on Act 3 in Nightmare and the game still feels really easy. How will this build hold up in Hell/Inferno do you think?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bZYXfm!aXf!aZaaZb

Makes heavy use of freezing adds and then blasting the shit out of the elites/tough ranged mobs with Archon. Also highly defensive build, but lacks a teleport, which I am not sure if I will eventualy 100% need in Inferno.

maharg

idspispopd
I still find it weird that people talk about their 'build' being the skills they choose when the actual building is done in the items.

DSmalls84

So, random numbers gg:

9350 vs 10400

I will probably just wait for the bigger upgrade later or get an upgraded piece of armor. I can already clear Act 1 Inferno easily with minimal deaths and I dont think that increase in damage will be enough to get me through Act 2. Would it be smarter to buy a high damage 2 hand because of the cost difference? I am using a mojo in my offhand with 50-350 added damage so I'm guessing I would need like a 1200 damage 2 hander to make up the difference.

maharg

idspispopd
Why not? You choose skills first and later buy equipment to match it.

I don't really think you do. The main way items contribute to skills is in damage and attack speed. You make tradeoffs between those things and life, and you might choose skills that have higher damage % if the tradeoff you make has you lacking damage. But all the real decisions are based on how many/what item modifiers you can get on your body at once.

Also, because there's a sunk cost in item choices you're more stuck with them than you are skills. You aren't building something in the 20 second cooldown or whatever it it, but you are when you plunk down millions of gold.

scy

and depending on your wizard build (orb/hydra), IAS isn't really the DPS increase that it shows in game.

for 2H wizard builds, i think ppl are better off looking at the min/max damage on the weapon and ignoring the DPS.

for 1h/source it's a different story, but i don't have the gold to sink into that yet.

Damn it, I forgot to test that last night. There are many spells that use Character Damage in place of Weapon Damage. I want to say that none of the Wizard spells apply as these skills tend to be the ones with a cooldown. Also, channeled spells do their cost at (1/APS) intervals and average out the same DPS over time so the slower the weapon the better for those builds as far as AP use is concerned.

That said, 1H/Source tends to be close enough (if not better) Damage than 2H anyway assuming your Source is good enough to compensate. The more you use Signature Spells, the greater the value of IAS% in general as well. Most my damage in my build comes from Shock Pulse use so I have stacked IAS%. Hydra is there for consistent damage and Blizzard is my snare; even with most my Damage being APS based, they still do decent damage so it's not like they're wasted slots.

I still find it weird that people talk about their 'build' being the skills they choose when the actual building is done in the items.

Which is why I try to at least mention my IAS% when talking about my Wizard's build. It's purely reliant on the APS there. I hate being resource limited so I went for an IAS%/Movement Speed build and I can rely on two good damage vs AP cost spells (Hydra, Blizzard) and spam a freebie.

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of Wizards and WDs are doing the same. The cost of that equipment went from moderately expensive ~two weeks ago to all of the gold now :/

I will probably just wait for the bigger upgrade later or get an upgraded piece of armor. I can already clear Act 1 Inferno easily with minimal deaths and I dont think that increase in damage will be enough to get me through Act 2. Would it be smarter to buy a high damage 2 hand because of the cost difference? I am using a mojo in my offhand with 50-350 added damage so I'm guessing I would need like a 1200 damage 2 hander to make up the difference.

Generally speaking, I think the 1H/Source (1H/Mojo) is the better option. I don't think 2Hers actually get to roll better stats for some bizarre reason and the damage difference in the two is more-or-less made up by the doubling up on stats and the +Damage on your Off-Hand. I'd definitely look for a good mojo as there's deals to be had on bid only ones just due to how much of a pain in the ass searching for them is.

It also depends on your build. A good amount of WD spells scale directly with Attack Speed (all Pets, anything with a cooldown, anything spammable) so faster weapons are functionally better for the class in my opinion.

DSmalls84

Damn it, I forgot to test that last night. There are many spells that use Character Damage in place of Weapon Damage. I want to say that none of the Wizard spells apply as these skills tend to be the ones with a cooldown. Also, channeled spells do their cost at (1/APS) intervals and average out the same DPS over time so the slower the weapon the better for those builds as far as AP use is concerned.

That said, 1H/Source tends to be close enough (if not better) Damage than 2H anyway assuming your Source is good enough to compensate. The more you use Signature Spells, the greater the value of IAS% in general as well. Most my damage in my build comes from Shock Pulse use so I have stacked IAS%. Hydra is there for consistent damage and Blizzard is my snare; even with most my Damage being APS based, they still do decent damage so it's not like they're wasted slots.

Which is why I try to at least mention my IAS% when talking about my Wizard's build. It's purely reliant on the APS there. I hate being resource limited so I went for an IAS%/Movement Speed build and I can rely on two good damage vs AP cost spells (Hydra, Blizzard) and spam a freebie.

Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of Wizards and WDs are doing the same. The cost of that equipment went from moderately expensive ~two weeks ago to all of the gold now :/

Yep went to sell my bugged Boj Anglers I think I might have paid 200k for and they went for 1 mil last week. Crazy how fast IAS gear has appreciated. Also as a note to all my fellow WD, run Inferno with Zombie Wall! I ran with some of my friends who were playing Demon Hunter/Wizard in Inferno and they were in awe of the CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom