• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenaras

QFT. The amount of crap I have to wade through to find some low level gear that isn't priced at 100k+ is astounding.

Honestly, who's buying level 25 gear for 300k?

If you set your filters correctly - most importantly the max buyout filter - you'll never have to look at any overpriced items. I don't see the problem.

jWk3YwcBwjNZL.PNG

This just dropped, 2nd legendary of the day. Wtf is going on?

And is this even good?

Without elemental resist.... not that good.

Cipherr

How do I get to the later versions of inferno without actually getting there? I know I've seen people talk about an exploit. I've been farming act one and am getting rather frustrated. The fact that people can zone to the place, die, let Tyrael kill the MOBS and then make millions is upsetting. Not that I blame you, or anyone for doing it. Farming act 1 inferno has been rather fruitless.

Create a solo game in say... Act 4 section 1 on Hell difficulty. Then start that game. Once you spawn in town, leave the game, then click on Public Games" You will notice that it offers you the ability to start Act 3 Inferno. Go ahead and join that game. From there you can try to play through it with whoever you got match made with, or you can again leave the game, then click Resume Game, and voila, you are in Act 4 Inferno in a solo game.

The wild part about it is on occasion I am seeing some high tier shit. Im talking 100+dex 100+vit 65 all resist and a socket (Not the exact stats, but you get the idea). It seems Act 3 packs have a chance to roll on the extremely high end of things. Its annoying and boring having Tyrael kill stuff while Im windowed out reading GAF. But I'll take it.

It also helps that I was able to easily kill Siegebreaker legitimately, so I have permanently opened this save point on Act 3. I can leave it, do Act 1 or something, then come back and change my own game to this save point whenever. Makes it a fantastic farm spot, because its resumable, and even without the chest, its worth it just for the elite packs.

TGMIII

It's been my impression that WoW was able to get bots under control. Is that wrong?

Sort of. From what I know they've cleared out most of the obvious/old bots but there's still some out there that are avoiding Warden and GM's, so long as the person using it is smart. A friend of mine is using a bot on WoW right now.

They'll never be able to stop the bots, the best they can do is be active about updates to warden and banning or suspending suspected users.

Wickwire

awwww come on... I have to be 50 to enter Hell? Grinding out 3 levels is going to blow. My first play through I was in my lower 50s when I beat NM. I didnt know there was level requirments. This sucks. I just want to play my mage with my friends.. in hell.

Create a solo game in say... Act 4 section 1 on Hell difficulty. Then start that game. Once you spawn in town, leave the game, then click on Public Games" You will notice that it offers you the ability to start Act 3 Inferno. Go ahead and join that game. From there you can try to play through it with whoever you got match made with, or you can again leave the game, then click Resume Game, and voila, you are in Act 4 Inferno in a solo game.

Thank you ... maybe I can make a chest run tonight.

scy said:
You don't keep the quest until you complete it, however, so don't change quests again until you finish it or are just done farming.

Thank you as well.

LordCanti

We may or may not actually be thinking of different chests, now that I think about it. The Keep? Waypoint and one room over has a Resplendent Chest on a bridge. This is randomly generated and can also spawn at the entrance of the Keep from the city. It doesn't ONLY spawn near the Waypoint and stairs to The Keep 2nd Floor.

Of course, if we're talking about a different chest entirely...

Oh yeah. I check for that one as well (I get the Checkpoint for 2, then go back to 1 to look for that chest). I've even gotten two chests at once in that one room in 1 lol.

inky

I know crafting is useless from 1-59 currently, but I don't see how lowering the prices for smith 1-9 will help. Prices on items 1-59 will be going down in the AH, and it's already the cheaper option.

It was a problem during the first couple of weeks when when the first game started, as we were all hovering around the 40s and 50s and Hell was a relatively hard difficulty without visiting the AH, which offered better options for much less money. Right now, the bulk of the gold is moving in the Inferno gear and there are millions of unsold lower level items at ridiculously cheap prices which make their changes late and rather pointless once again (less so for Hardcore but still).

joelseph

God, I'm so bad at deciding on mains... I've been torn apart between pretty much all the classes since before launch and as of today the farthest I got in Inferno is Shattered Crown on my DH. Also got a Barb on 60, Monk and Wiz on 55 and WD on 54... Currently kinda narrowed it down to Monk and Wizard, with a preference for Monk...

That is a lot of time played.

Opiate

Why Diablo 3 is less addictive than Diablo 2: a “scientific” explanation.

Great link, but it makes me feel like a fool for "playing" the game. Also, I'm so glad I've never gotten sucked into the WoW time sink. D3 is bad, but WoW? I would never get out.

I'm really surprised how your link and this one both seem imply or explicitly state the AH is not "fun."

I so strongly disagree that I'm not sure where to begin. The link I provided seems to make a small exception for economists who like manipulating markets; I think a better comparison would be people who like shopping and finding good deals.

And that is an extremely popular pass time. Millions of people enjoy shopping and finding bargains, or selling stuff to make a profit. These are not niche pleasures in the slightest. If you happen to be a person who does not get joy from those things, and are instead excited exclusively by rolling the loot wheel, that's fine, but the notion that this is boring or even unpleasant in any objective sense is clearly silly to me. A huge number of people truly enjoy bargain hunting.

mileS

It's been my impression that WoW was able to get bots under control. Is that wrong?

For a while. They did a really good job with it. These days? The amount of mining bots in the high level zones, especially Uldum.. is unreal. It has never been close to this bad for as long as the game has been out. So to answer your question, yea they did a good job keeping it under control, now its beyond out of control and I've yet to see them even mention any steps or measures they are taking to stop it. There was a day where you could make decent gold farming ore from mining. These days? don't even think about it, the bots ruined it.

It was a problem during the first couple of weeks when when the first game started, as we were all hovering around the 40s and 50s and Hell was a relatively hard difficulty without visiting the AH, which offered better options for much less money. Right now, the bulk of the gold is moving in the Inferno gear and there are millions of unsold lower level items at ridiculously cheap prices which make their changes late and rather pointless once again (less so for Hardcore but still).

Yet they reacted so quickly to nerfing monk skills.

I'm really surprised how your link and this one both seem imply or explicitly state the AH is not "fun."

I so strongly disagree that I'm not sure where to begin. The link I provided seems to make a small exception for economists who like manipulating markets; I think a better comparison would be people who like shopping and finding good deals.

And that is an extremely popular pass time. Millions of people enjoy shopping and finding bargains, or selling stuff to make a profit. These are not niche pleasures in the slightest. If you happen to be a person who does not get joy from those things, and are instead excited exclusively by rolling the loot wheel, that's fine, but the notion that this is boring or even unpleasant in any objective sense is clearly silly to me. A huge number of people truly enjoy bargain hunting and/or working a profit out of some junk you don't need anymore.

I agree ... I think the AH could be fun as well. I can find enjoyment in finding an item I can sell for money to get the one I want. It just seems like the AH acts a brite spot light on any issues the economey has though.

maharg

idspispopd

And that is an extremely popular pass time. Millions of people enjoy shopping and finding bargains, or selling stuff to make a profit. These are not niche pleasures in the slightest. If you happen to be a person who does not get joy from those things, and are instead excited exclusively by rolling the loot wheel, that's fine, but the notion that this is boring or even unpleasant in any objective sense is clearly silly to me.

To be fair, that's a kind of pleasure you'd expect people to derive from a sims game, not so much a diablo game.

J0dy77

Life on Hit is a globally tracked stat so any on your MH or OH counts towards the total. It's what makes Dual Wield Monk a lot more viable than I originally gave it credit for.

As for rest of the slots, IAS% with Life on Hit with stats and resists is ideal but since I imagine you're not wanting to spend more gold than you'll ever have, I'd settle for 10%+ IAS% or Life on Hit that's around ~20% or greater than your current Life on Hit (e.g., if you have 600, aim for +120 minimum). And, of course, DEX/VIT/Resists as you can afford them.

I've put my Monk on hold so I can bid snipe awesome deals / farm good drops. So far, I haven't gotten that lucky but I'll keep trying, damn it. I want to get her to ~5000 Armor/500 Resists with >70% buffed Dodge (~1500 DEX). Should be interesting to see how it works out.

Are there any clear monk upgrade legendary items I should try and snag (even before the legendary upgrade patch)? I'm thinking if I focus on the items I know will be solid and can find reasonably priced I can build my other pieces around those?

Cipherr

so don't change quests again until you finish it or are just done farming.

Seems to me like as long as you go and kill Siegebreaker really quickly it actually does save that one Siege breaker part of Act 3 for you. I have left the quest and came back. And Siegebreaker should be a bit of a joke for anyone who has actually done some gearing up for Inferno. Its free loot, I go there sometimes when I am lucky after I have Tyrael kill 4 elite packs for me and get me a near max stack of NV
xzbitlol.png

Toss on a couple more pieces of MF gear for Siegebreaker and you easily have the equiv of 5 stacks and some.

Opiate

For a while. They did a really good job with it. These days? The amount of mining bots in the high level zones, especially Uldum.. is unreal. It has never been close to this bad for as long as the game has been out. So to answer your question, yea they did a good job keeping it under control, now its beyond out of control and I've yet to see them even mention any steps or measures they are taking to stop it. There was a day where you could make decent gold farming ore from mining. These days? don't even think about it, the bots ruined it.

This is a very bad sign then: I have no idea how Blizzard intends to maintain the value of gold under these conditions. If they can't maintain the value of gold, then the incentive to bot rises geometrically; you can't keep up with the joneses unless you do so.

For the record, inflation has been my number one concern in this game for a long time, even when people were complaining about relatively petty things like Inferno difficulty or minor class imbalances. Scy can attest to this; I've mentioned it several times in our in game conversations.

Those former things can be fixed, and fairly easily. Inflation is a much bigger and longer term problem to the health of a game.

I agree ... I think the AH could be fun as well. I can find enjoyment in finding an item I can sell for money to get the one I want. It just seems like the AH acts a brite spot light on any issues the economey has though.

Yes, this I agree with. I'm just saying the AH is not in principle the problem; the problem is inflation.

garath

QFT. The amount of crap I have to wade through to find some low level gear that isn't priced at 100k+ is astounding.

Honestly, who's buying level 25 gear for 300k?

What I did is just set my max buyout to 30k in the search. I didn't even bother with anything over than that for my level (33).

And that is an extremely popular pass time. Millions of people enjoy shopping and finding bargains, or selling stuff to make a profit. These are not niche pleasures in the slightest. If you happen to be a person who does not get joy from those things, and are instead excited exclusively by rolling the loot wheel, that's fine, but the notion that this is boring or even unpleasant in any objective sense is clearly silly to me. A huge number of people truly enjoy bargain hunting and/or working a profit out of some junk you don't need anymore.
I think that you're missing the point that we are talking about Diablo here. While 'bargain hunting' and 'playing the market' are real things, that real people enjoy, it's not why most people came to this series.

If I wanted to play a buy low/sell high game, I'd play Port Royale (which I do). If I wanted to stare at a chart interface, I'd play EU3 (which I also do). However, for me, playing the market has never been why the Diablo series was fun. Sure, there are people who made a lot of money on D2JSP and whatnot, but I think you'll be hard pressed to prove that D2JSP represents more than a niche within a niche of Diablo players.

I think the linked article hit the nail on the head when it talks about D2 as having a reward loop, and D3 having a frustration loop. The AH is your way to alleviate it, and if you like it, that's great, but it's simply not the reason people are drawn to the series.

scy

And that is an extremely popular pass time. Millions of people enjoy shopping and finding bargains, or selling stuff to make a profit. These are not niche pleasures in the slightest. If you happen to be a person who does not get joy from those things, and are instead excited exclusively by rolling the loot wheel, that's fine, but the notion that this is boring or even unpleasant in any objective sense is clearly silly to me. A huge number of people truly enjoy bargain hunting.

We've been through this before but, yeah, I really think the AH gets put in a rough spot. I like the option of it supplementing my (really shitty) luck with drops with items I can buy. In turn, I can funnel my (really shitty) luck with drops into acquiring the equipment I do need. I'm still progressing towards getting the gear I need to progress (or to farm better or whatever). The fact I didn't see it personally drop is irrelevant to me here just like it was irrelevant to me when trading in D2 or any other game with an AH or AH variant.

I do think there are certain things that need to be done with the AH for removing items from circulation but I'm not entirely sure how those will play out right now with things already underway. Also uncertain if we'll ever see "ladder" resets down the road.

I guess I just can't see the AH as being bad when it lets me turn loot I don't need into loot I do need.

Kenaras

That just about every item is overpriced.

There are always good low-level items available for cheap prices. If you can't find them, then you're doing something horribly wrong.

Something tells me you're not talking about low-level items though, in which case your response is completely unrelated to my post.

J0dy77

I had two of these drop within 5 seconds of each other with the exact same stats. Worse than the ones you have (no sockets). That could be my all time biggest gaming let down.

Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to make legendaries suck? Why not just call them something else.

LordCanti

How does this work? Join public game for checkpoint,pick up Tyrael, profit?

Pretty much, though it takes forever for him to finish them off. I'm (well, Tyrael is) currently working toward 5 stacks of NV so I can open a resplendent and then take down the Siegebreaker (which is a fight you can't screw up as a DH unless you're terrible).

awwww come on... I have to be 50 to enter Hell? Grinding out 3 levels is going to blow. My first play through I was in my lower 50s when I beat NM. I didnt know there was level requirments. This sucks. I just want to play my mage with my friends.. in hell.

I would assume this was to prevent players from rushing the game on the various levels.

scy

Seems to me like as long as you go and kill Siegebreaker really quickly it actually does save that one Siege breaker part of Act 3 for you.

That's what I said, though. Until you complete the quest, you don't get to keep it. So either don't change the quest until you're done farming or until you've completed the quest.

This is a very bad sign then: I have no idea how Blizzard intends to maintain the value of gold under these conditions. If they can't maintain the value of gold, then the incentive to bot rises geometrically; you can't keep up with the joneses unless you do so.

For the record, inflation has been my number one concern in this game for a long time, even when people were complaining about relatively petty things like Inferno difficulty or minor class imbalances. Scy can attest to this; I've mentioned it several times in our in game conversations.

Inflation, especially with the bots and AFK farming and so on and so forth, will just get out of control. In retrospect, the gem costs aren't that bad but there really needs to be a greater incentive to seek out those Radiant Stars eventually and start removing massive amounts of money from the economy.

We have goldsinks but they're just not good enough. Just like Nephalem Valor is a great system but not good enough to stop Chest/Goblin farming with high MF gear.

...but I think you'll be hard pressed to prove that D2JSP represents more than a niche within a niche of Diablo players.

Considering the kind of traffic it saw (sees), I'd think that you'd be hard pressed to prove otherwise as far as late Diablo 2 is concerned.

sazzy

I like how this is just about the only thread on the main page non-E3 related.

Anyways..

Act 2 Inferno is being mean to me *cries*

Those former things can be fixed, and fairly easily. Inflation is a much bigger and longer term problem to the health of a game.

Yes, this I agree with. I'm just saying the AH is not in principle the problem; the problem is inflation.

Tiered taxation system? Maybe tax the purchaser too?

Opiate

I think that you're missing the point that we are talking about Diablo here. While 'bargain hunting' and 'playing the market' are real things, that real people enjoy, it's not why most people came to this series.

If I wanted to play a buy low/sell high game, I'd play Port Royale (which I do). If I wanted to stare at a chart interface, I'd play EU3 (which I also do). However, for me, playing the market has never been why the Diablo series was fun. Sure, there are people who made a lot of money on D2JSP and whatnot, but I think you'll be hard pressed to prove that D2JSP represents more than a niche within a niche of Diablo players.

I think the linked article hit the nail on the head when it talks about D2 as having a reward loop, and D3 having a frustration loop. The AH is your way to alleviate it, and if you like it, that's great, but it's simply not the reason people are drawn to the series.

It's not the reason you are drawn to the series. I already like D3 better than D2 at its core, personally, although of course inflation and bad future patches could change that.

Trading/AH has been a driving force behind Diablo for a very long time. Diablo 2 was absolutely sustained by trading -- it just wasn't codified in to an official AH. D2JSP had 5000-10000 simultaneous users on the Diablo 2 trading forums as recently as last year, 10 years after DII's release. It drew more traffic than GAF does.

Again, this is not some weird niche. I just don't understand why D2JSP isn't discussed at length in these posts -- as if D2JSP wasn't a driving force behind Diablo II's longevity. It was a vital force to the game, and is a de facto, out of game AH.

scy

Are there any clear monk upgrade legendary items I should try and snag (even before the legendary upgrade patch)? I'm thinking if I focus on the items I know will be solid and can find reasonably priced I can build my other pieces around those?

Hm. If you go block, Helm of Command (...Helm) and Justice Lantern (Ring) are nice for their +Block; String of Ears (Belt) is nice for general damage mitigation.

There's some set bonuses that are nice. Inna's, the Monk set, has some good slots but the Pants currently have non-working +Attack Speed on them. A lot of the Legendary and Set Rings/Amulets are pretty good too.

Legendary weapons are pretty much always shit though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom