• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepykyo

I say RMAH. They want to earn money. They could've balanced the game around trading without the abysmal drop rate. Even with a drop rate twice as good there would be much room left for trading. They could've also gone for a bigger character cast or a higher max level. More content. But they went for a drop rate which leaves you basically two choices, either quit the game out of frustration or go to the AH. And since grinding for gold takes a lot of time, well, it's quite easy to spend 5 or 10 dollars on a weapon. I mean, it's just 5 or 10 dollars, could save you so much time searching for yourself and...my god what a twisted logic. They programmed a flaw so deeply in their system, all out of greed. That may sound pathetic, I know, but I'm angry. Because I like the game, I want to play it, but I probably won't anymore because it feels like it's a waste of time.

Guess that explains why gems went off the market when the prices collapsed.

scy

We are making some changes to these in 103. The shielding will cast less often to start with, and for the invul minions, the health of the monster you can actually damage is being lowered. Hopefully that helps get them to the tasty melty stage sooner!

I'd just like for my Hydra to not pew pew the wrong thing.

The stuff above it doesn't go for any more than the materials to make them. Meaning, it's pretty useless to upgrade your artisan right now =/

Maybe at the high end it becomes worth it, but I doubt it.

This is shocking to me. If nothing below a flawless square can drop, people should be making money on crafting for people who don't want to level the jewler.

scy

This is shocking to me. If nothing below a flawless square can drop, people should be making money on crafting for people who don't want to level the jewler.

The cost to level the Jeweler is essentially irrelevant though so up to Star shouldn't realistically cost much more than materials + combine cost. Unfortunately.

The post-Star combines require a recipe drop so those should at least be of some value. Though, the Gems themselves aren't huge upgrades so I can't imagine people really buying them for a few extra +STR/DEX/INT/VIT or +1% more Life.

MYE

Almost bought DIABLO today after getting hyped reading The Book of Cain lol

I was going to wait for a console release, but i might jump in if my laptop can run the game in decent conditions.

So help me out here:

Intel Core i7 CPU Q740 @1.73GHz 1.73GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits

6.00 GB of RAM

GeForce GT 330M "with CUDA" - 3GB (probably 1GB dedicated)

Starcraft 2 runs pretty well. How will D3 fare?

Macmanus

Really impressed by this Reddit AMA. It's not just your standard lip service. They're going into the thought process of the game creation.

j-wood

From the AMAA:

The auction house has absolutely no effect on drop rates. There are conspiracy theories and misunderstandings but I do want to re-iterate, the is NO interaction whatsoever. Bashiok mentioned earlier that we took the AH into account, so let me expand a little bit on that.
The drop rates were tuned for a player who would never use the Auction House. For the majority of internal development we didn't have an Auction House, we all played using our own drops only. I've personally leveled multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out using only drops that I found - we all did.
When we say we "took the AH into account" that means it's one of many factors. ie. some players will choose to play without trading, some players would play in a group of 4 where they share drops among each other, and some (as it turns out, many) players would use the AH.
Three weeks after launch player's gear is much higher than what we were expecting. When I killed the Butcher on Inferno for the first time I was using a weapon with 492 DPS. There are also certain passives which are much more powerful than they were during internal development. One With Everything, for example, was basically never used internally because we didn't have an auction House. With the auction house, it feels like a mandatory passive. In retrospect we should have seen it coming. In the game's current state though, it's a powerful Monk ability that gives Monks a big survivability boost and has some interesting (some would argue fun, others would argue negative) effects on gearing.
I consider playing without the Auction House to be a very fun way to play the game. I'm personally planning on rolling some new characters that I'll set aside to be "no-AH/no-twink" characters. Much like in D2 when I would make a new character with a friend and we'd agree with each other not to twink our characters out.

Guaranteed rare drops on first kill coming to bosses in Nightmare and Hell (eventually).

Jay Wilson said:
This was my decision, and I'll start by saying that Wyatt and Andrew have talked me out of it. In a future patch (not 1.0.3) we'll add this.
But so you know my reasoning I think this just moves the problem. Design intent is that at end-game we want you to stack NV and 'then' kill bosses to make farming loot more interesting. To facilitate this bosses have to stop dropping tons of rares 'at some point'.
My worry was that if it was at Inferno everyone would be like 'WTF why Inferno hardest difficulty with worst loot!?!??!' instead of the current complaint.
The reason I've decided my decision was wrong is the gap that exists between Normal first time drops and the NV farming of Inferno.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/uoooj/i_am_we_are_wyatt_cheng_andrew_chambers_and_jay/c4x79y8?context=3

The cost to level the Jeweler is essentially irrelevant though so up to Star shouldn't realistically cost much more than materials + combine cost. Unfortunately.

The post-Star combines require a recipe drop so those should at least be of some value. Though, the Gems themselves aren't huge upgrades so I can't imagine people really buying them for a few extra +STR/DEX/INT/VIT or +1% more Life.

It's a service though ... if you're too lazy to upgrade and I'm not, I should make something for my efforts. I'm not saying much, even a 5-10% profit would be acceptable and probably not enough to force the lazies into crafting.

Whether that 5% profit is worth it is irrelevant since that person is selling the thing in the first place at cost. Even a 2% profit.

It really is. I've not seen one set piece. I've only seen two Legendaries (both horrid and one from act 1 normal). By Nightmare in D2 I was seeing sets drop.
Yeah, amazing stuff like Sigons, am i right?

Did you guys even play D2? You didn't get the best items by yourself. You rarely found even one of them.

scy

It's a service though ... if you're too lazy to upgrade and I'm not, I should make something for my efforts. I'm not saying much, even a 5-10% profit would be acceptable and probably not enough to force the lazies into crafting.

Whether that 5% profit is worth it is irrelevant since that person is selling the thing in the first place at cost. Even a 2% profit.

Well, a 5% profit means that they need to sell at around 120% cost of materials + combines (AH cut and then profit on top). I'm just saying that the Jeweler upgrade cost is really low (just gold and drops, no real time investment) and with the amount of players, the cost of the items will plummet.

I'd imagine that the drop recipes will be up for a premium. The ones you can just craft by default will carry a relatively large markup to cover cost and AH cuts that it's worth it to just level your own Jeweler at essentially no time loss.

maharg

idspispopd

Did you guys even play D2? You didn't get the best items by yourself. You rarely found even one of them.

The set item I remember finding a lot -- long after it was useful in pretty much every case -- was the Arctic set.

Well, a 5% profit means that they need to sell at around 120% cost of materials + combines (AH cut and then profit on top). I'm just saying that the Jeweler upgrade cost is really low (just gold and drops, no real time investment) and with the amount of players, the cost of the items will plummet.

I'd imagine that the drop recipes will be up for a premium. The ones you can just craft by default will carry a relatively large markup to cover cost and AH cuts that it's worth it to just level your own Jeweler at essentially no time loss.

Keep in mind you basically can't upgrade your jeweller too far until you start getting tomes of jewelcrafting in hell. The lower level gems are mostly useful for twinking low level characters, and as long as the game sells there will be a market for that.

scy

The set item I remember finding a lot -- long after it was useful in pretty much every case -- was the Arctic set.

I think everyone has finished (or nearly finished) that set.

We are addressing that in a future patch. We are looking at changing the text color for pages and tomes, health potions and gems in all difficulty levels.

!

I didn't play online for D2. I played the entire thing solo.

Keep in mind you basically can't upgrade your jeweller too far until you start getting tomes of jewelcrafting in hell. The lower level gems are mostly useful for twinking low level characters, and as long as the game sells there will be a market for that.

Good point.

scy

Keep in mind you basically can't upgrade your jeweller too far until you start getting tomes of jewelcrafting in hell.

True. Same for Pages and Tomes of Secrets. But, Gems at the low end won't sell at combine cost either since, typically, you'll be competing with the cost of people selling drops. It's just the top-end gems that you HAVE to craft and it's hard to see selling them at any kind of profitable markup just due to how accessible crafting is. There's no rare drops to farm. There's no time invested. It's just gold. And not even a large amount of gold compared to the kind of markup you'd be facing on gems (a few 20% marked up Star gems would greatly outweigh the cost of leveling the Jeweler, for instance).

Sarcasm

SO what do you do when:

1) You go to log in

2) Its like hey new patch gonna restart and apply

3) Launcher says Diablo 3 is already running

4) You hit okay and launcher closes

5) You relaunch launcher an it acts like nothing

5) Start over at 1

***Why does this happen every patch? I have an hour to play but I will spend majority of it to get the game running. Diablo is beginning to be a huge let down.

None ... so what?

I'm not expecting to get the best items in the game from looting. That doesn't mean I don't expect to get something of value/pride from looting though.

You can get stuff of value/pride from D3 as well. Just not the best stuff.

So exactly like D2. By the way, the stuff you found in D2 was probably nowhere even near the top tier, you just didn't know any better. Forget Zod, Ber or Jah, you can hardly find the better uniques going solo, chances are very, very low. Most uniques in D2, even after the expansion came out, were quite bad to mediocre. Before the expansion, they were almost universally terrible.

True. Same for Pages and Tomes of Secrets. But, Gems at the low end won't sell at combine cost either since, typically, you'll be competing with the cost of people selling drops. It's just the top-end gems that you HAVE to craft and it's hard to see selling them at any kind of profitable markup just due to how accessible crafting is. There's no rare drops to farm. There's no time invested. It's just gold. And not even a large amount of gold compared to the kind of markup you'd be facing on gems (a few 20% marked up Star gems would greatly outweigh the cost of leveling the Jeweler, for instance).

Also a good point.

They need to come up with another sink for gems then. Like the BS crafting idea.

aznpxdd

Finally found a good LOH weapon for my Monk, makes the game sooo much easier. Now my Monk has 25k DPS, 45k HP, 530 Resist all and 500 LOH. Think I'm ready to tackle Act II Inferno?

Macmanus

Sigon boots were awesome, and that set not only looked boss, what was wonderful for low level twinking.

Did you play D2?

A piece of that had great poison resist and would drop in Act 1 - greatly aiding the Anderial fight. (Not that you really needed a lot of help.) Still neat, though.

You can get stuff of value/pride from D3 as well. Just not the best stuff.

So exactly like D2. By the way, the stuff you found in D2 was probably nowhere even near the top tier, you just didn't know any better. Forget Zod, Ber or Jah, you can hardly find the better uniques going solo, chances are very, very low. Most uniques in D2, even after the expansion came out, were quite bad to mediocre. Before the expansion, they were almost universally terrible.

I should clairify then that my entire experience with D2 was post expansion.

scy

Also a good point.

They need to come up with another sink for gems then. Like the BS crafting idea.

They need that as well as a better incentive for the high-end Gems. Some are nice (Flawless Square -> Star Amethyst is +65 Life on Hit to +300, for instance) but it's still a few hundred thousand just for that small level; Radiant Star is several million (>10M each) for +600 Life on Hit.

And that's the best scaling stat of them; +Life% is +12% (Flawless Square) to +15% (Star) to +18% (Radiant Star).

I should clairify then that my entire experience with D2 was post expansion.

Honestly, the amount of good Legendaries right now is pretty much equivalent to the amount of good ones to Diablo 2 pre-expansion.

You keep saying this, and you are wrong.

How about instead of "best" the items were just good or great even? Somehow, playing by myself, I managed to throw together a harmony and many other cool items.

So what if I never found a zod.

scy

How about instead of "best" the items were just good or great even? Somehow, playing by myself, I managed to throw together a harmony and many other cool items.

And with minimal AHing (I bought like ... two pre-60 Weapons and some gems), my Monk made it through Act 1 Inferno. The AH isn't really a requirement for progress through Normal - Hell.

Gearing Inferno is another matter entirely but I equate it to the post-Hell Baal run period of gearing in Diablo 2. You didn't do it all without trading there either. It's not much different.

BigDug13

The itemization really shouldn't be like Diablo 2 pre-expansion though. Or is that the idea? Buy the game with suck itemization, then be willing to buy the expansion with "fixed" itemization?

Sarcasm

Deleted a few things and downloaded installer..works now..I think..what number should I see on bottom left?

Game is laggy like hell now. So laggy I couldn't even kill the treasure goblin.

Macmanus

Exactly. The set items you found might not have been end game - but they were useful for leveling - looked cool - and still felt rewarding (at least initially.)

And yes, uniques were mostly garbage - but not universally. I could still get a Stone of Jordon, frosties, a string of ears, and a golden fleece before end game and LoD came out. I got a number of SoJs from gambling itself.

Uniques and sets were bad in D2. They weren't this bad, though.

And with minimal AHing (I bought like ... two pre-60 Weapons and some gems), my Monk made it through Act 1 Inferno. The AH isn't really a requirement for progress through Normal - Hell.

Gearing Inferno is another matter entirely but I equate it to the post-Hell Baal run period of gearing in Diablo 2. You didn't do it all without trading there either. It's not much different.
I made it through Act I inferno with no AH items (Act II is another matter). That wasn't my point.

They need that as well as a better incentive for the high-end Gems. Some are nice (Flawless Square -> Star Amethyst is +65 Life on Hit to +300, for instance) but it's still a few hundred thousand just for that small level; Radiant Star is several million (>10M each) for +600 Life on Hit.

And that's the best scaling stat of them; +Life% is +12% (Flawless Square) to +15% (Star) to +18% (Radiant Star).

Honestly, the amount of good Legendaries right now is pretty much equivalent to the amount of good ones to Diablo 2 pre-expansion.

The bolded is ironic since it's scaled down in inferno to useless levels and only people in inferno will be using those gems. LOH is more effective. My next weapon will have slots since LOH and IAS combined are pricey. IAS alone is more reasonable.

V_Arnold

The bolded is ironic since it's scaled down in inferno to useless levels and only people in inferno will be using those gems. LOH is more effective. My next weapon will have slots since LOH and IAS combined are pricey. IAS alone is more reasonable.

+Life% is not scaled down at all. What you are thinking about is life leech.

scy

Exactly. The set items you found might not have been end game - but they were useful for leveling - looked cool - and still felt rewarding (at least initially.)

And yes, uniques were mostly garbage - but not universally. I could still get a Stone of Jordon, frosties, a string of ears, and a golden fleece before end game and LoD came out. I got a number of SoJs from gambling itself.

Uniques and sets were bad in D2. They weren't this bad, though.

There's a few good uniques in Diablo 3, and mostly for the same reason that some were good in Diablo 2 (weird stats for the slot). Hell, almost all the Rings/Amulets are good. A good handful of the set items aren't bad either.

Edit: Not that "as good as (vanilla) Diablo 2" is really a good thing, mind you. That's the annoying part of the itemization.

I made it through Act I inferno with no AH items (Act II is another matter). That wasn't my point.

Ah, my bad, I guess you weren't. Thought it was another "You can't find anything good and have to AH always!" complaint :/ Sorry!

Zzoram

Hmm.

I think 60,000 gold disappeared from my account. I could've swore I had more gold this morning but now I only have 22,000 gold. No items missing, no new names on played with tab. Maybe a patch related glitch?

I have an authenticator linked.

Wedge7

Hmm.

I think 60,000 gold disappeared from my account. I could've swore I had more gold this morning but now I only have 22,000 gold. No items missing, no new names on played with tab. Maybe a patch related glitch?

I have an authenticator linked.

Wasn't their a guy earlier who was also missing around that same amount?

MYE

Almost bought DIABLO today after getting hyped reading The Book of Cain lol

I was going to wait for a console release, but i might jump in if my laptop can run the game in decent conditions.

So help me out here:

Intel Core i7 CPU Q740 @1.73GHz 1.73GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits

6.00 GB of RAM

GeForce GT 330M "with CUDA" - 3GB (probably 1GB dedicated)

Starcraft 2 runs pretty well. How will D3 fare?

No one?

Zaptruder

Banned

That's not life steal. Just additional life on top of your current life pool.

And that linear scaling is kinda bum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom