• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know all of the changes that are made besides what's listed in the patch notes? It's always a pain to find information about these things.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The stuff above it doesn't go for any more than the materials to make them. Meaning, it's pretty useless to upgrade your artisan right now =/

Maybe at the high end it becomes worth it, but I doubt it.

I actually did the math, and several actually go for less then the cost to make. I can only assume some people selling them aren't good at math.

Also, some of the distribution for hardcore:
Level 46-50 * Barbarian: 25.86% * Monk: 23.90% * Demon Hunter: 18.47% * Wizard: 16.96% * Witch Doctor: 14.81%
Level 60 * Barbarian: 22.67% * Monk: 21.83% * Demon Hunter: 21.04% * Wizard: 19.23% * Witch Doctor: 15.23%

Also, from the AMA, it sounds like Life Steal will slowly be buffed, and Life on hit is going to stay where it is.

Cagey

Banned
I actually did the math, and several actually go for less then the cost to make. I can only assume some people selling them aren't good at math.

Also, some of the distribution for hardcore:

Where did you find the statistics on hardcore? Planning on switching soon, and I'm curious.

Opiate

While I agree with that understanding--I don't think it is truly represented within the game as such. If you were a ravenous consumer of D3 news, you knew that Inferno was going to be a hate fuck.

However, based on the progression loop within the game, it organically is the natural next step once you've hit 60 and beaten Hell. The D3 Hell killscreen may even say, "Congratulations! Move on to Inferno" (but I can't remember).

I'd imagine a lot of D3 players are WoW players who are used to that "once you hit 60, the game starts" mentality. Yet D3 doesn't have any Tiered content model. No gear levels. It just literally flips the game on its head once you hit 60 and Inferno. It's jarring and people are reacting.

At core: I'm not saying Inferno should be EASY, I just believe it should be a balanced progression. I think that the changes they've announced in 1.03 will provide needed balance and a great incentive to keep playing at 60 if you enjoyed the game up until then. I think the current game does not offer an ease or introduction into the next wave of content.

I think we're coming to an agreement then, Snakes. We both agree that big difficulty spikes are a bad thing. I do feel the game tend to have giant jumps in difficulty, then a plateau, then another big jump, then a plateau -- that's bad. I'm content with how hard the game is, and I'm not personally happy that the game is becoming less difficult; but I do absolutely agree that it's good the difficulty is being smoothed.

Or, put differently, I'm glad the difficulty is being smoothed, but not glad it's being lowered. Close enough to an agreement, I think.

Guaranteed rare drops on first kill coming to bosses in Nightmare and Hell (eventually).

That's good. These AMAAs are very nice.

I kinda wish they would have went with a different economy instead of gold.

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed the rune economy in D2 (especially absent duping and botting). It felt very effective because they were rare drops (whereas gold is as plentiful as grass) and there were ways for lower level players to compete in the economy to get decent gear (Countess runs), but the real currency was dropping (rarely) for only those people at the most advanced stages.

I'm not saying runes are/were perfect, but I like the IDEA more than gold.

Ketch

The people who might be frustrated, though, are those who do want to push the end game but don't want to take part in the larger trading/PvP community. The people who just liked to start a character every few years, push through hell, maybe gear him a bit more, and were done. Those people are getting squeezed, I feel.

+1 That's me. I used to play a character to max level about every year or so in D2... single player, off line, during work trips and deployments. I'm edit:NOT gonna be able to do that in D3, and I won't be able to go back to 2 after playing this either... (Good news is those kind of trips are pretty much over with now anyway)

Opiate

Okay, I'm very glad to be wrong about traditional "core" gamers getting pushed out, if the anecdotal evidence here is any example. It was just my observation. To be frank, I'm not sure what group I fit in to, personally. I'm most like the traders, but I doubt I will personally play this game for years on end.

I think we're coming to an agreement then, Snakes. We both agree that big difficulty spikes are a bad thing. I do feel the game tend to have giant jumps in difficulty, then a plateau, then another big jump, then a plateau -- that's bad. I'm content with how hard the game is, and I'm not personally happy that the game is becoming less difficult; but I do absolutely agree that it's good the difficulty is being smoothed.

Or, put differently, I'm glad the difficulty is being smoothed, but not glad it's being lowered. Close enough to an agreement, I think.

Actually, we may completely agree, because after consideration I don't think it should be necessarily "easier"--just better communicated and less jarring.

At the beginning of release I was wondering if they would put in ceilings or suggestions for where you should be based on your average item level (I think WoW implemented something like this officially, but the community definitely did through Gear Score). I was disappointed to see that it did not; and I was more disappointed with how non-reflective the little "red and green" numbers are of actual value once you get past a certain point (Hell).

I think my point is being boiled down to: Smooth things out. Communicate with players. Inferno being a bear is fine: But clearly let the player know why they are dying. However, if you are going to just tell people that it's the natural thing to try at 60, then you need to balance it accordingly.

Hmm.

I think 60,000 gold disappeared from my account. I could've swore I had more gold this morning but now I only have 22,000 gold. No items missing, no new names on played with tab. Maybe a patch related glitch?

I have an authenticator linked.

Other people have reported similar things. If your characters and all are still intact, I would think it is a glitch, but who knows?

I kinda wish they would have went with a different economy instead of gold.

Call me crazy, but I enjoyed the rune economy in D2 (especially absent duping and botting). It felt very effective because they were rare drops (whereas gold is as plentiful as grass) and there were ways for lower level players to compete in the economy to get decent gear (Countess runs), but the real currency was dropping (rarely) for only those people at the most advanced stages.

I'm not saying runes are/were perfect, but I like the IDEA more than gold.

What rune economy were you playing that was absent duping and botting

Btw, duping and botting are the only reason the rune economy even made sense. The number of super high runes being generated legitimately was so astronomically small that there would have been no functioning economy without the duping.

Same with SOJs, only worked as a currency thanks to duping.

yea I can sometimes get them in a corner but most of the time I can't. dropped wrath of the berserker for furious charge but I guess I can just pop it in for goblins.

We are making some changes to these in 103. The shielding will cast less often to start with, and for the invul minions, the health of the monster you can actually damage is being lowered. Hopefully that helps get them to the tasty melty stage sooner!

From the AMAA. Well it's a start, and they say they may change more in the future, but I think they should change more.

No plans for this currently. We wanted the game to have a greater focus on story, and so decided to have a linear quest flow so we could advance plot and world changes. Creating a free play mode would be a major reworking of all our content.
I'm not opposed to us adding a 'auto-skip' cut scenes option at some point.

Jesus f'ing christ please do this.

Jhriad

Okay, I'm very glad to be wrong about traditional "core" gamers getting pushed out

I don't think this thread is a good barometer of the traditional "core" diablo player, especially anyone that has been pushed out of the game by the changes in design for D3. Those individuals that were put off likely don't even visit this thread with a few exceptions (like myself). The "core" Diablo player probably isn't on GAF and most likely only plays a handful of traditionally "core" games a year, if that. That Diablo "core" audience also wasn't the minority taking part in the trading and whatnot in D2.

goober

So after not playing for a couple days, I manned up and spent the gold I was sitting on.

I spent about 400k and only improved my stats incrementally. But I got my resists up to about 300 like you guys said.

I have about 40k hp and 9k DPS for act I inferno.

How's that sound?

Thrakier

So after not playing for a couple days, I manned up and spent the gold I was sitting on.

I spent about 400k and only improved my stats incrementally. But I got my resists up to about 300 like you guys said.

I have about 40k hp and 9k DPS for act I inferno.

How's that sound?

You'll get your ass handed by most of the elite mobs.

Murry33

Neo Member
Price check on this?

Xfm1b.png

Haven't been playing since I don't find enjoyment out of chest spawning/vase destroying.

Blizzard has it spot on with the problems though. Once they patch in changes I'm going to start playing again, most likely on my monk until they rebalance with doctor skills so I'm not stuck with darts, harvest, spirit walk and grasp in every single one of my builds.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hmm.

I think 60,000 gold disappeared from my account. I could've swore I had more gold this morning but now I only have 22,000 gold. No items missing, no new names on played with tab. Maybe a patch related glitch?

I have an authenticator linked.

Check the auction house.

In the AMAA, they're kind of in denial-mode concerning gripes about the story. At least Jay is.

Now personally I don't think the story was particularly bad, per se, at least for a pulpy video game story. However, I do agree with some of the criticisms. It was certainly heavy-handed in parts, and I (along with many others I'm sure) feel that it could have been told better, even keeping the same basic plot line. Primarily it was the main plot thread that had this issue - side stories like with the followers, and ambient lore through the journals/books was generally intriguing and great.

HenryHSH

It'd be nice if it didn't demand confirmation if you've already seen it. Actually there's a bunch of places where confirmation just seems excessive and silly.

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO SUBMIT REPLY?

OKAY [ ] CANCEL [ ]

I'm tired of hammering on my spacebar to skip bad dialog I've heard a hundred times. There will be an option to disable all this crap, I don't think they're crazy enough not to add the option.

rCIZZLE

Did anybody get a question about the economy and how they're going to fix it in the future answered? I hate trying to find anything on reddit.

Unicorn

Know what's kinda sad...

Nothing I am currently wearing on my Monk was an item drop from any enemies I've downed.

:/
The other night I completely geared (went down the list on AH of gear type) and fully decked him out for under 40k. He's only level 40, but the stuff I got will last me until late 50's just like the mid level gear for my wizard did.

What is item drops?

I'd like for recasting Hydra to not proc Life After Kill x3 (once for every Hydra I kill).

Easiest game of my life

I find that to be the most funny thing (obviously unintentional.) I wonder if the same thing happens (though it wouldn't be as powerful) when resummoning the Demon Hunter pet. Haven't heard any word about that. It's more of a problem with Hydra though, being so cheap comparatively to any other "pets" you could have. The DH pet costs a fair amount of discipline, and the WD pets have long CDs. Hyrda is pretty much spammable.

Did anybody get a question about the economy and how they're going to fix it in the future answered? I hate trying to find anything on reddit.

There were quite a few questions answered about the economy and itemization. Not going to sort through to find them all now, but there will be a post sometime later on Battle.net with everything compiled.

Also, fun trivia from the AMAA:

Trivia. The least used skills at level 60 are Energy Twister, Exploding Palm, Sacrifice, Ancient Spear and Strafe.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Price check on this?

Xfm1b.png

Stats are just awful for a level 60 requirement. It might be worth something as a novelty item if it has a unique look, but I wouldn't expect much. With how many good 2-handers are available for cheap now, there's just no reason to use that sword.

maharg

idspispopd
In the AMAA, they're kind of in denial-mode concerning gripes about the story. At least Jay is.

Now personally I don't think the story was particularly bad, per se, at least for a pulpy video game story. However, I do agree with some of the criticisms. It was certainly heavy-handed in parts, and I (along with many others I'm sure) feel that it could have been told better, even keeping the same basic plot line. Primarily it was the main plot thread that had this issue - side stories like with the followers, and ambient lore through the journals/books was generally intriguing and great.

I think the biggest problem is just the way the main villain's dialog later in the game is so boilerplate:

"You defeated X? Well Y will trounce you!"

Also Kulle laughing maniacally after everything he says really kills any question of his being morally ambiguous (something the dialog generally seems to try to convey). They kind of defeat themselves on this front.

I think the biggest problem is just the way the main villain's dialog later in the game is so boilerplate:

"You defeated X? Well Y will trounce you!"

Also Kulle laughing maniacally after everything he says really kills any question of his being morally ambiguous (something the dialog generally seems to try to convey). They kind of defeat themselves on this front.

To be fair, this was just game designers answering (primarily gameplay) questions, not Metzen or any other writers, so I wasn't expecting a particularly compelling answer concerning the story anyway.

hitsugi

Yeah, amazing stuff like Sigons, am i right?

Did you guys even play D2? You didn't get the best items by yourself. You rarely found even one of them.

Lmao. Did YOU play D2? 2 piece sigons could carry a classic barb to 99 and you could MF your way to a respectable set of gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom