• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

No, you'll see a lot of your skills saying "weapon damage as physical", "as fire" -- whatever. You're getting the chill effect, but you're not doing cold damage. It's possible those that just say "weapon damage" will do whatever element type your weapon is, but that'd be the exception.

Then what is the point of specific elemental damage on weapons in this game then?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Well, considering all types of damage are purely aesthetic, how do you know it's not cold damage? ;P Not like it matters anyway, the chill effect is the thing that matters, and that thing is like 100% if not that.

Because your own spells tell you what damage type your weapon damage is converted to.

9961j.png

You wouldn't get bonus damage from +% cold damage in this instance, even if your weapon was cold damage.

Anyway, that's a wiz set so wtf are we talking about again mr DH. =p

Totakeke

Because your own spells tell you what damage type your weapon damage is converted to.

9961j.png

You wouldn't get bonus damage from +% cold damage in this instance, even if your weapon was cold damage.

I'm pretty sure that it has been established that +% elemental damage doesn't care what damage you're doing. It just adds it on top. Take Inna's Blessing which adds holy damage, you don't need to do holy damage to get additional damage from that.

BigDug13

Blizzard basically said fuck it at cold damage and left it at that. They also said people are stupid and would only care about dps anyways.

Well it's especially stupid on class specific items for classes that can't even "swing their weapons" like wizards or witch doctors.

If it's not possible to simply "use" the weapons in your hand like you could in previous Diablos, then adding elemental damage is pointless. Might as well just say "x additional damage".

xelios

I'm pretty sure that it has been established that +% elemental damage doesn't care what damage you're doing. It just adds it on top. Take Inna's Blessing which adds holy damage, you don't need to do holy damage to get additional damage from that.

Edit: misunderstood

Are you sure about this? So if you're doing physical damage you still get a bonus from +% fire, ice & cold? So you'd get 3 3% bonuses from Tal's set? I seriously doubt it.

Totakeke

Edit: misunderstood

Are you sure about this? So if you're doing physical damage you still get a bonus from +% fire, ice & cold? So you'd get 3 3% bonuses from Tal's set? I seriously doubt it.

I'm pretty darn sure but I can go back and test it later. For example if you wear Inna's blessing but do zero holy damage from your weapon and spells, you still get the holy ring effect when you shoot enemies.

gotoadgo

What would you think are the recommended stats for A2 Inferno for a Wizard. I've been farming Act 1 while I get some RES gear and whatnot.]
As above, your damage is way too low to be really effective in act 2. You'll never be able to kill champ packs in any reasonable amount of time(if at all as they may enrage). You need to be at about mid 20's to start getting in to that act with any amount of efficiency.

xelios

Well it's especially stupid on class specific items for classes that can't even "swing their weapons" like wizards or witch doctors.

If it's not possible to simply "use" the weapons in your hand like you could in previous Diablos, then adding elemental damage is pointless. Might as well just say "x additional damage".

Q: Why was elemental damage cut? Burning fire, heal stopping poison, stunning lightning, healing holy... they all would have been great additions to game play.

A: Primarily due to players' preference of DPS over everything. As we played the game we found everyone just moved to the damage type that did the most damage. If we equalized damage they ignored ones that didn't have CC options. Case in point, we kept the slow on cold and gave it a lower damage budget and it's the least used damage type now.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/06/06/jay-wilson-and-other-diablo-3-developers-answer-almost-everyth/

That's the best answer I can give you. If you mean the +lightning 300-500 damage on a weapon then yeah, that's already factored into the weapon's DPS and converted to whatever damage your spell is doing.

As far as +% _element_ damage on other gear, maybe it does just add to your overall damage at the moment, not sure. If so it's obviously not intended with there being 3 separate elemental bonuses on Tal's set. But it doesn't surprise me considering all the other bugs.

rCIZZLE

The alcarnus goblin keeps dropping shit for me with 206% mf.

I'm talking 254 dps rare weps..

I've accepted that weps, unless having LOH and a socket, will likely be complete trash. I'm more surprised that I can't recall ever getting a rare amu or ring from a goblin. Do goblins even drop them?

Woo-Fu

Banned
The best weapon you'll get out of that goblin will only sell for ~1m on the AH. You have to remember that the AH is chock full of ilvl 63 stuff from the people who farmed ghosts for a week before it got nerfed. Act II weapons can't compete with that.

You can also get jewelry, 4-5 slot crafting recipes, and the next level of jewel recipes.

My best day was around 5m from the ancient path goblin farm. When we first started farming that gob the DH in the group got an amulet that I'd estimate is worth 10-15m. It definitely drops jewelry. Of course that is the best drop I've seen from it, nothing has come close since. :)

isny

napkin dispenser
I've accepted that weps, unless having LOH and a socket, will likely be complete trash. I'm more surprised that I can't recall ever getting a rare amu or ring from a goblin. Do goblins even drop them?

Got a ring a few minutes ago. It was shit =(

rCIZZLE

The best weapon you'll get out of that goblin will only sell for ~1m on the AH. You have to remember that the AH is chock full of ilvl 63 stuff from the people who farmed ghosts for a week before it got nerfed. Act II weapons can't compete with that.

You can also get jewelry, 4-5 slot crafting recipes, and the next level of jewel recipes.

My best day was around 5m from the ancient path goblin farm. When we first started farming that gob the DH in the group got an amulet that I'd estimate is worth 10-15m. It definitely drops jewelry. Of course that is the best drop I've seen from it, nothing has come close since. :)

What's the next step after the goblin? For a DH with like 2mil to spend.

I still haven't seen a set or legendary yet (unless I missed a drop offscreen somewhere).

In late Act 3 of Hell now which is ~55 hours or so on the DH, with an additional ~16 hours down on a Wizard that has cleared Normal.

LoL EU AH :

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202012-06-12%20%C3%A0%2012.00.31.png

Go this for 10k. The guy must have forgotten some zeros.

My old staff is now for sale :

Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202012-06-12%20%C3%A0%2012.01.43.png

(yeah, I lost 100 strengh and 100 dex, but I buffed my dps by 4k)

Zuly

I still haven't seen a set or legendary yet (unless I missed a drop offscreen somewhere).

In late Act 3 of Hell now which is ~55 hours or so on the DH, with an additional ~16 hours down on a Wizard that has cleared Normal.
I'm in Act 2 Inferno and I haven't seen one either, and I have over 100hrs played.

Caerith

9961j.png

Well, Spectral Blades is an exception since it keeps your weapon's damage type. But yeah, overall cold damage isn't great when it comes to numbers since it trades damage for snare, so getting +3% cold isn't as useful as +3% anything else would be.

Totakeke

Well, Spectral Blades is an exception since it keeps your weapon's damage type. But yeah, overall cold damage isn't great when it comes to numbers since it trades damage for snare, so getting +3% cold isn't as useful as +3% anything else would be.

It's the opposite. +3% cold is better than +3% anything else because cold damage has lower damage by default. And that difference is already shown in whatever numbers displayed. So when you have the same amount of damage for any element up to your choosing, you'd rather it to be cold, no?

xelios

It's the opposite. +3% cold is better than +3% anything else because cold damage has lower damage by default. And that difference is already shown in whatever numbers displayed. So when you have the same amount of damage for any element up to your choosing, you'd rather it to be cold, no?

My mind is full of fuck.

Totakeke

My mind is full of fuck.

The way I read how Blizzard describes the damage types... let's take weapons as an example. I'm assuming this is how it works. All weapons can get a roll modifier up to +500 elemental damage type (as an example) except cold, but cold damage can roll up to say.. maybe +400. So the difference is already reflected on the weapon dps. There is no hidden modifier on cold damage because otherwise people would not deviate to non-cold damage weapons because most of them wouldn't know the difference.

So when they say cold damage is less than the other elements, that difference is already displayed on the items themselves, it's not a hidden -damage modifier that most players would not know.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

I'm ok with 1 mill weapons. But 150-250 dps is something no 60 would be caught dead with. Well they would, lul.

Yeah, what's the next best place? I actually just got act 3 unlocked, but most champ packs in act 2 were too much.

balddemon

Banned
i can't do ranged characters. i really want to try and make a beam wizard viable, but i can't get over the lvl 2 hump. my 54 dh is sort of fun, i just think i'm in the wrong spot (act 3 hell). but i die too quickly. wd no thx. however my barb is incredibly fun, and my monk is looking to be just as fun. melee ftw

LegoDad

So Life Regeneration of +200 per second... or LOH for 200... which is better?

My initial thought is Life Regeneration is better cause it's constantly healing you, even if you aren't hitting anything, though I can hit for 1.4 Attacks per second.. doesn't meant i'm actually hitting, when i'm running or kiting...

Didn't see my question get answered, could use some advice from anyone who has bested Hell mode, preferably hardcore mode:

MisterAnderson said:
Sooo I just picked up a fist weapon that boosts my DPS considerably (2567 up to 3200) but drops my health down by 2994 (32250 down to 29256 life). Considering I'm level 54 Hardcore Monk, shouldn't I probably go for the 3k health? Or is the 700 DPS much more valuable at this point if I still have 29k health. (Act 1 Hell)

eek5

The way I read how Blizzard describes the damage types... let's take weapons as an example. I'm assuming this is how it works. All weapons can get a roll modifier up to +500 elemental damage type (as an example) except cold, but cold damage can roll up to say.. maybe +400. So the difference is already reflected on the weapon dps. There is no hidden modifier on cold damage because otherwise people would not deviate to non-cold damage weapons because most of them wouldn't know the difference.

So when they say cold damage is less than the other elements, that difference is already displayed on the items themselves, it's not a hidden -damage modifier that most players would not know.

I think their usage data is flawed though. Of course nobody is using cold weapons, especially late game. I just went from 1k dps to 800 dps hovering over every 1H w/ LOH and none of them had cold affix. The damage rolls are so low that even with snare they're pretty undesirable unless you snag on before you hit level 60.

Has anyone here even used a cold weapon? How often does it even snare enemies?

edit: found one at 760dps. That's a background tile I haven't seen in a long, long time. Almost forgot what those janky snowflakes looked like :lol

joesmokey

Anyone here amazing at taking out elite soul lasher packs? D:.

Stuck in Heart of the Damned, they're right at the entrance. Already reset the dungeon because there were champion phase beasts at the entrance in the last instance :/.

BigDug13

i can't do ranged characters. i really want to try and make a beam wizard viable, but i can't get over the lvl 2 hump. my 54 dh is sort of fun, i just think i'm in the wrong spot (act 3 hell). but i die too quickly. wd no thx. however my barb is incredibly fun, and my monk is looking to be just as fun. melee ftw

Melee seems to be more gear dependent, but at least they seem to be fun to play in this game. Monk pet is better than the primary WD pet and that's just sad.

BigDug13

I think their usage data is flawed though. Of course nobody is using cold weapons, especially late game. I just went from 1k dps to 800 dps hovering over every 1H w/ LOH and none of them had cold affix. The damage rolls are so low that even with snare they're pretty undesirable unless you snag on before you hit level 60.

I personally hate abilities with a "chance to..." in this game. It's too unreliable. Or if it relies on hitting a ton of enemies to make it work since the large packs of whites aren't an issue anyway, it's the small pack of elites/champs.

eek5

I personally hate abilities with a "chance to..." in this game. It's too unreliable. Or if it relies on hitting a ton of enemies to make it work since the large packs of whites aren't an issue anyway, it's the small pack of elites/champs.

Yeah that's kind of hit or miss but cold elemental damage bonus has a built in (hidden) bonus to snare. I'm wondering how often it procs (is it as often as other weapons do their elemental animation?). When other weapons are rolling XXX-600 damage modifiers and cold can only roll XXX-400, I'd hope it's procing a LOT otherwise I don't see how it'd ever be worth it unless you stumble on someone under pricing a max roll and you're shopping in the 900 dps range.

edit: I do think the chance to x on hit would be fun if you put together a set with the affix on all your pieces then had an RNG status party every 2 seconds :lol

Totakeke

edit: found one at 760dps. That's a background tile I haven't seen in a long, long time. Almost forgot what those janky snowflakes looked like :lol

Its 100% to slow from my experience. I'm starting to think it might be bugged :lol

MrDaravon

Better save it for the RMAH.

I'm playing a DH, so unless it looks like this would go for ridiculous money I'll be keeping it. On a related note though are the item stat pages on battle.net wrong, or I am missing something? For example on Andariel's Visage shows that the possible Dex range is only 112-129, but mine's higher than that as are others on the AH. And I don't think I could have rolled Dex on the random magic property stat (if that's even possible with Dex already being on there) because I got Int as the random magic stat.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah that's kind of hit or miss but cold elemental damage bonus has a built in (hidden) bonus to snare. I'm wondering how often it procs (is it as often as other weapons do their elemental animation?). When other weapons are rolling XXX-600 damage modifiers and cold can only roll XXX-400, I'd hope it's procing a LOT otherwise I don't see how it'd ever be worth it unless you stumble on someone under pricing a max roll and you're shopping in the 900 dps range.

edit: I do think the chance to x on hit would be fun if you put together a set with the affix on all your pieces then had an RNG status party every 2 seconds :lol
I think it's 100%. I got a cold xbow for like 130k and the DPS was 10 below others because I was looking for one. It was the only cold up there though.

Zzoram

IIRC they said they were upping the range of the stats that Legendaries can roll. That might have been a server side change.

LordCanti

Can anyone help with azmodan on inferno? Can't solo him with such low DPS. :(

edit: I'm a barb btw

I'll do it if you're NA.

Edit: NM, Ultimoo seems to have it covered.

I'm playing a DH, so unless it looks like this would go for ridiculous money I'll be keeping it. On a related note though are the item stat pages on battle.net wrong, or I am missing something? For example on Andariel's Visage shows that the possible Dex range is only 112-129, but mine's higher than that as are others on the AH. And I don't think I could have rolled Dex on the random magic property stat (if that's even possible with Dex already being on there) because I got Int as the random magic stat.

No socket or vita. Still probably 8m easily enough though.

I...I mean...it's worthless. You should give it to me.

You can roll dual primary properties (e.g. Int + Dex, Str + Dex) as a single affix.

Apparently it's a thing.

eek5

Its 100% to slow from my experience. I'm starting to think it might be bugged :lol

I think it's 100%. I got a cold xbow for like 130k and the DPS was 10 below others because I was looking for one. It was the only cold up there though.

Holy shit.. I just got one for 50k and I can confirm DOES proc on every hit. Even better, it works with skills like sprint/run like the wind. When I'm running away everything gets snared in my tornadoes.

It might even actually be worth it for me to keep this cold weapon to switch to for enemies where I have to run away :lol

edit: a cold weapon w/ WD would be pretty sweet for team play.. they have a lot of AOE attacks that could snare everything on screen
edit2: wow cold elemental doesn't work for WD because all their skills are elemental pretty mcuh so nothing gets the cold bonus :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom