• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I could see them potentially resetting everyone that has more than 5+ million gold or some shit to 5 Million Gold.

Supposedly these gold dupers have been buying all of the best equipment on the AH as well. Having everyone at this low gold amount could stabilize the auction house item costs as well.

Still that would fucking suck.

GJS

Does anyone know if the Asian servers got rolled back? There's a lot of people talking about it but I havent seen anything concrete

The asian server maintenance was in regards to a different bug around item duplication, so they just removed the duplicated items from the server database.

I don't know whether the currently revealed AH gold bug has been addressed on the asian servers.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's incredible that after 12 years all we got was a freaking beta. I wonder how long it'll be till the next exploit is uncovered or is revealed to the masses.

There is no way they will roll back everyone's characters or items, I seriously doubt they will even roll back gold. The glitch will lower the value of gold but I doubt it will have much of an effect at all on the RMAHal all.

LordCanti

There is no way they will roll back everyone's characters or items, I seriously doubt they will even roll back gold. The glitch will lower the value of gold but I doubt it will have much of an effect at all on the RMAHal all.

If they stockpiled top tier rares...of course it will have an impact on the RMAH.

Such MMO novices around here. Nothing's getting rolled back, no matter what kind of damage has been done.

;-)

I kid, I kid. But seriously, don't count on a rollback.

The first and only MMO I ever played (over a decade ago) had a gold duping exploit that required a massive rollback. I say "rollback" but I really mean "all gold was taken away from players, and the people that could be proven to have exploited it were banned".

Not that Blizzard would dare, of course.

Such MMO novices around here. Nothing's getting rolled back, no matter what kind of damage has been done.

;-)

I kid, I kid. But seriously, don't count on a rollback.

MrDaravon

Yeah, a Gold reset or rollback of some kind is going to suck for most people, but I don't see them doing any kind of other rollback. Way, way too many people would lose legitimate items that they found, and even on AH items that were being affected as a result of this those still had to come into existence normally, regardless of what happened with them after that. Neither option is good for Blizzard, but one is significantly less worse than the other. This is also all assuming that they can't actually run a filter and ban those responsible, which would also take their gold/items out of the economy, etc. With most games/companies I would assume that is what would happen, but this is my first Blizzard game and they've inspired zero faith in me here.

Also a rollback to zero gold or something extreme like that would be hilarious, and would probably stabilize the economy quite a bit. People with high-end gear would "start" with an advantage, but given what's happening now I'd say that's pretty acceptable.

If they stockpiled top tier rares...of course it will have an impact on the RMAH.

Yes, but probably for the most part only in the short-term. As the game's life goes on and more and more people naturally find top tier rares values will go down, etc. This is still bad for Blizzard, and I will be flabbergasted if the RMAH actually launches tomorrow, but long-term I'm not sure if it would have a significant impact. The game will have a very long life and it's only been out for a month, long-term I just can't see any significant damage that will have been done here with any sort of item stockpiling done in the first 30 days of the game.

okay so i don't want to bring shit back up or whatever, but wasn't this game to be played only online to prevent all the duping and botting that's going on?

UberTag

Most of the 1%ers are already anticipating a gold rollback and either selling it or pouring it into high end gear and gems that won't be impacted by one.

Seems to be a burgeoning outcry in the Blizzard forums to just reset the entire game back to launch state and take the gold auction house fully offline until all gold/item duping exploits are addressed. It's really the only way to have an RMAH economy someday with any value.

Dahbomb

HAHAAHHAHAA.....

To the guy who posted the Quiver, hold on to that a bit longer until this gold situation stabilizes. I ain't touching Diablo 3 until this shit settles.

What a fucking messy situation...

ibvEb6pcC9eYjY.gif

This isn't a MMO.

Real money is on the line for Blizzard.

Regardless, nothing's getting rolled back. You can take that to the bank :p

Think about it. If they deemed the problem severe enough to do a rollback, why would the servers still be up? Why let people unknowingly continue wasting time changing their character in ways that would be deleted?

When a rollback is going to happen, you can bet your ass the servers will be down instantly.

The reality is that this duping exploit is limited to a few in the know people.

What's *actually* going to happen (with very high probability) is that they're just going to patch the exploit and then ban everyone who used it.

For those who made only a small amount of profit on the exploit, maybe a temp suspension, or none at all. For anyone who's making hundreds of millions of gold, all you have to do is ban them and then poof, money deleted from the economy. You only need to kill a few of the big banks to straighten things out.

Incidentally, there is a maintenance in 6 hours, so the scope of this exploit will be limited even further since it is just now becoming known.

rCIZZLE

For those who made only a small amount of profit on the exploit, maybe a temp suspension, or none at all. For anyone who's making hundreds of millions of gold, all you have to do is ban them and then poof, money deleted from the economy. You only need to kill a few of the big banks to straighten things out.

Only an idiot would keep hundreds of millions on an account that used a highly detectable exploit.

Hopefully they can rollback just the cheaters, or go ahead and ban them. Fuck them.

I'm sitting here leveling up my Monk lvl 26 playing through Normal. I don't want to do this all over. Innocent bystander!

Additonally. let me add, people suck. People are the fucking worst. Scumbags, just play the fucking game!

Dahbomb

Only an idiot would keep hundreds of millions on an account that used a highly detectable exploit.
There is a video linked on this page with some Korean guy with like a billion gold...

Can someone explain in detail what the hell is going on?
There is a gold exploit found in the AH that allows you to dupe/copy gold off of bids giving you billion+ gold without much effort. It just got leaked recently and now the economy is going to be all sorts of fucked (more than it already has been) with a shit ton of gold swimming around. People are expecting massive ban hammers to go down or even a possible rollback. Looks like there is an emergency maintenance planned as well.

Basically...

shit-just-got-real.gif

Artanisix

Just start a new ladder.

Fuck it Blizzard. Just do it. Leave the other chars if you want, but start a new ladder, delay the RMAH, and take down the GAH until things are fixed. There have obviously been people duping since day 1.

Ominym

Banned
I'm getting my ass kicked in inferno, and want to buy new gear to prevent that, but thanks to recent issues I now can't even do that. Blizzard, you forced your giant always online system to prevent item tampering, duplications, cheats, etc. And can't even do that with your system. If I'm going to be stuck using your shitty system, least you could do is actually make it work.

LordCanti

I think you're underestimating what kind of tools they have available to them to detect these kinds of things.

Yeah, but think of it this way:

Person 1 dupes a billion gold.

Person 1 then sells gold to hundreds of people

Hundreds of people buy items with that gold

It just gets exponentially worse as you extrapolate out. Gold is in the system that never should have been there.

You're probably right though. Weighed against all the legitimate players and legitimate gold/items/etc, it's probably not enough for a rollback.

If this isn't enough, nothing is of course.

GJS

If there was a new ladder, a reset, or any kind of significant roll-back I would probably call it quits. 95 hours is enough playtime out of the game, and I don't feel like starting from the beginning of that with nothing to show.

It would give me time to go and finish max payne.

Dahbomb

I just have one question... if they do a full on rollback/reset do I at least get to keep my achievements?

That one looks like a troll though. He's not on inferno yet and hides his gear probably because it's junk.
You don't need good gear or be in Inferno to start getting golds in the billion using the exploit. In that video posted the guy wasn't even that far into the game.

It's either a Photoshop or an exploit.

rCIZZLE

Hopefully they can rollback just the cheaters, or go ahead and ban them. Fuck them.

I'm sitting here leveling up my Monk lvl 26 playing through Normal. I don't want to do this all over. Innocent bystander!

Additonally. let me add, people suck. People are the fucking worst. Scumbags, just play the fucking game!

mj-laughing.gif

Yeah, but think of it this way:

Person 1 dupes a billion gold.

Person 1 then sells gold to hundreds of people

Hundreds of people buy items with that gold

It just gets exponentially worse as you extrapolate out. Gold is in the system that never should have been there.

You're probably right though. Weighed against all the legitimate players and legitimate gold/items/etc, it's probably not enough for a rollback.

If this isn't enough, nothing is of course.

Think of all those people that bought the gold. Those are future RMAH customers and Blizzard literally just deleted their actual USD or Euros. Those people are quitting and never coming back. They also don't give a shit about the economy, if they need more gold, they'll buy it.

Another 20-40% of the people who lost millions (or hundreds of thousands, or whatever they consider alot) of legitimate hard earned gold are also quitting and never coming back.

Seriously, people don't realize it, but a rollback is almost never worth it. Almost never.

MrDaravon

I just have one question... if they do a full on rollback/reset do I at least get to keep my achievements?

I wouldn't see why not, off hand I can't think of any achievements that would be specifically affected. You could make the argument that duping gold to buy better gear helps people get through Inferno for those story achievements or something like that, but that's pretty tenuous at best. IIRC the gold achievements are for picking up X number of gold in-game, not having it in general.

Think of all those people that bought the gold. Those are future RMAH customers and Blizzard literally just deleted their actual USD or Euros. Those people are quitting and never coming back. They also don't give a shit about the economy, if they need more gold, they'll buy it.

So are 20-40% of the people who lost millions (or hundreds of thousands, or whatever they consider alot) of legitimate hard earned gold.

Agreed; even if the economy winds up being fucked for a while I don't think they'll do a rollback because that will hurt them directly in terms of the RMAH. Even if it would be "best" I think they're going to be willing to let it slide to not affect any sort of income from the RMAH. Ban and pull the accounts that were blatantly abusing it in large volume, take what you can out of the economy that way, and it'll even itself out eventually.

So where are people getting the idea for a rollback? Is it just people saying that we need one since the gold and items have been duped or is there actually some sort of evidence that Blizz are thinking of doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom