• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmalls84

So what's the motivation behind a two handed weapon for a monk? Just DPS? You lose the shield with armor and stat, and you also lose the dual wield weapon with stats and sockets for LOH.

I'm just glad it's worth something. Farming act I inferno has been rather fruitless so far.

For me, I started looking for weapons with sockets for the LOH gems. Amulets can have high LOH too.

Right now I have a 1 handed sword with 877 dmg and IAS. I only have 1.2 mil now so I think i'm going to need at least 2.5 or 3 mil to get a weapon with comparable damage and LOH. What are your stats and how far are you in inferno?

scy

I heard a rumor the patch was going up today, anyone read anything to confirm this?

Well, tomorrow is maintenance so the patch going up then seems plausible. I mean, it's scheduled for June and there's all of two Tuesdays left. 50-50 shot here (well, 33-33-33 as there's an equally likely chance of Blizzard delay).

Right now I have a 1 handed sword with 877 dmg and IAS. I only have 1.2 mil now so I think i'm going to need at least 2.5 or 3 mil to get a weapon with comparable damage and LOH. What are your stats and how far are you in inferno?

Act II ... just got ZK's head.

IAS plus LOH is stupid expensive. Search IAS plus socket and maybe stats. You can find higher DPS weapons with that combo for less money. The dowside is that you only get 300 LOH and have to craft the gem. I dual wield though and have an aumlet with 400 LOH plus a socket that I found. I found a ring with 120 LOH and 15% IAS too (it's a blue). That's 1100+ LOH.

Still ... looking for a weapon with a socket is an option over the stat itself. Moving LOH off of your weapon is possible too.

LFG

Neophyte
Okay, just finished Act 1 on Inferno. Act 2 mobs are destroying me, so I guess back to farming Act 1. Quick question, since the loot drops are random, I have the same chances of finding some really awesome loot drops in Act 1 as I would in say, Act 4? Or am I going to have to use the AH to progress at this point?

Okay, just finished Act 1 on Inferno. Act 2 mobs are destroying me, so I guess back to farming Act 1. Quick question, since the loot drops are random, I have the same chances of finding some really awesome loot drops in Act 1 as I would in say, Act 4? Or am I going to have to use the AH to progress at this point?

Not until patch 1.0.3 comes out.

hobart

IAS plus LOH is stupid expensive. Search IAS plus socket and maybe stats. You can find higher DPS weapons with that combo for less money. The dowside is that you only get 300 LOH and have to craft the gem. I dual wield though and have an aumlet with 400 LOH plus a socket that I found. I found a ring with 120 LOH and 15% IAS too (it's a blue). That's 1100+ LOH.

Still ... looking for a weapon with a socket is an option over the stat itself. Moving LOH off of your weapon is possible too.

Are you finding yourself struggling thru... or are you slowly progressing? Sound to me like your gear is pretty on point.

I was told weapons with IAS already have it included in the displayed DPS, so if the displayed DPS is higher without any IAS it's better.

?

Filth

As of right now no. Next patch yes.

DSmalls84

Yeah I was thinking of trying to get a sword with 100 str/vit and then at least 250 LOH. I figured with IAS getting reduced having the extra str might be a bigger damage boost. I'm running Sword/Board tank build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WSVXRk!beV!accaZc

If I play solo I usually swap Leap with WOTB for some nice burst damage on Champions/Bosses.

Are you finding yourself struggling thru... or are you slowly progressing? Sound to me like your gear is pretty on point.

Progression is still tough. I'm searching for gear with more life regen right now as well. I had a 5 stack the other night in the Oasis though. Some combo's still wreck me though. I'm movig build though right now. Changing up to a dodge build and my issue start with when I don't dodge. HAHA.

I was told weapons with IAS already have it included in the displayed DPS, so if the displayed DPS is higher without any IAS it's better.

?

For DPS yes. For LOH the IAS has other beneftis though because if APS increase, so does your survivability.

scy

?

IAS% is already factored into the weapon's listed DPS; two weapons with the same DPS will have different damage per hit values based on their attack speeds. Attacking faster still has uses, though. Especially for things like Life on Hit where you care more on getting the on-hit effect rather than any damage per hit.

IAS on weapons is a two-edged sword, the IAS increased damage is "baked in" to the printed DPS of the weapon and makes your % of weapon damage abilities MUCH worse in exchange for faster hits. I highly recommend getting your IAS elsewhere if possible.

LOH is most aggressively stat'd on weapons and amulets, look to those first if you want the stat.

Progression is still tough. I'm searching for gear with more life regen right now as well. I had a 5 stack the other night in the Oasis though.

For DPS yes. For LOH the IAS has other beneftis though because if APS increase, so does your survivability.

IAS% is already factored into the weapon's listed DPS; two weapons with the same DPS will have different damage per hit values based on their attack speeds. Attacking faster still has uses, though. Especially for things like Life on Hit where you care more on getting the on-hit effect rather than any damage per hit.
What if the displayed attack speeds are the same?

scy

What if the displayed attack speed are the same?

If the DPS is the same and the attack speeds are the same then their damage ranges would be the same (or close enough that rounding is getting you the same DPS).

Weapon DPS is just Average Damage * Attacks Per Second. That's all.

Duesy

I imagine we'll either see a hot fix or patch pretty quickly here to fix the exploit with legendary weapon item collision.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Enjoying 3.21 attacks/second, afraid to login after the patch.

Did 4 inferno pony runs today, didn't get anything worth selling, much less any upgrades. Think I'm going back to act 3 to farm.

Been trying out jumping spiders instead of darts, they're surprisingly effective although there are a couple serious drawbacks. You don't get any LoH from spider hits, only from hitting the mob with the jar itself which can be problematic if you're kiting things, staying out of mortar range, attacking around corners, etc. That and it makes it hard to focus a particular target which means more kiting than with darts. They're awesome inside the keep in act 3 since you don't have to expose yourself, just throw the jars through a door, lol.

If the DPS is the same and the attack speeds are the same then their damage ranges would be the same (or close enough that rounding is getting you the same DPS).

Weapon DPS is just Average Damage * Attacks Per Second. That's all.
Well I mean how does it affect LOH if both are like... 1.40 but one has IAS on it?

scy

Then take the weapon without the IAS. It's probably cheaper and won't be getting nerfed.

Pretty much.

Well I mean how does it affect LOH if both are like... 1.40 but one has IAS on it?

Absolutely nothing is different about them if they have the exact same attack speed. That 1.4 on the weapon is _after_ IAS%. It's already factored into it.

Edit: If you have a weapon with 1.4 APS and another with 1.4 APS and 20% IAS, they both still have 1.4 Attacks per Second. The second one just had a base Attacks per Second of around 1.167 (1.167 * 120% ~= 1.4).

Thanks all
Pretty much.

Absolutely nothing is different about them if they have the exact same attack speed. That 1.4 on the weapon is _after_ IAS%. It's already factored into it.
I already bought the weapon a few days ago, but the LOH talk made me wonder for future references.

I had a 906 1.40 spear with IAS and nothing else and traded it for a 1.40 893 dps fist with a just a socket.

hobart

Progression is still tough. I'm searching for gear with more life regen right now as well. I had a 5 stack the other night in the Oasis though. Some combo's still wreck me though. I'm movig build though right now. Changing up to a dodge build and my issue start with when I don't dodge. HAHA.

What's your build currently?

I ask because I was struggling big time with A2 until I ran a completely different build. The change in build now allows me to safely get through all of Act 2 with very little issues (that rare time a rare/champ pack is just... unfair).

Having a build that compliments your gear is very important and it isn't all that intuitive.

scy

Is the ias patch going to retroactively work on items or will those skyrocket in value if not?

Retroactively since not doing it that way would be pretty stupid, honestly. And I'd feel silly for all those IAS% items I already sold.

And since it'll probably get asked again, it can be done retroactively because nothing is being altered (e.g., no items are changing stat ranges or base items or getting new mods), just all IAS% values are getting remapped. The Legendary item buff later would require items to be rerolled (or recreated for those changing base item type).

Thanks all

I already bought the weapon a few days ago, but the LOH talk made me wonder for future references.

I had a 906 1.40 spear with IAS and nothing else and traded it for a 1.40 893 dps fist with a just a socket.

Then the weapons are basically the same damage wise with the Fist being slightly worse (~10 AvgDmg per hit lost) but gained a socket. Also, you won't lose any damage when the IAS% nerf happens like the Spear will (906 with 1.4 after IAS should be 841 DPS or so with 1.3 APS after the change).

I'm worried about what it's going to do to my life on hit dependent barbarian. Need the extra attack speed to keep up with the damage. It's pretty much going to screw over all classes in one way or another.

scy

I'm worried about what it's going to do to my life on hit dependent barbarian. It's pretty much going to screw over all classes in one way or another.

High Crit and get some Life Steal? ~5% should be doable between Weapon + Belt and then you can rely on some on-crit ways to restore health (Whirlwind has 1% Max Life on-crit, Overpower has 8% Max Life and -1s Cooldown on crits).

That's the build I'm shooting my Barb for. ~60% Crit is pretty easy to get and Life Steal scales better than Life on Hit for Revenge/Overpower/Whirlwind.

What's your build currently?

I ask because I was struggling big time with A2 until I ran a completely different build. The change in build now allows me to safely get through all of Act 2 with very little issues (that rare time a rare/champ pack is just... unfair).

Having a build that compliments your gear is very important and it isn't all that intuitive.

Off the top of my head.

28K HP
12500 DPS (unbuffed)
4500 armor (buffed)
560 resists
2.6 APS or so
1100 LOH
380 life regen a sec
100 or so LPSS

FOT > Lighning Flash
Lashing Tail Kick > Sweeping Armada
Serenity > Assesnion
Mantra of Evasion > Hard Target (armor buff)
Blinding Flash > Faith in the Light
Sweeping Wing > Blade Storm

I've only switched to this build recently though. Which enabled me to progress to ZK's head. I'm trying to get life regen up. I sacrificed some armor and resists for increased LOH and APS.

High Crit and get some Life Steal? ~5% should be doable between Weapon + Belt and then you can rely on some on-crit ways to restore health (Whirlwind has 1% Max Life on-crit, Overpower has 8% Max Life and -1s Cooldown on crits).

That's the build I'm shooting my Barb for. ~60% Crit is pretty easy to get and it Life Steal scales better than Life on Hit for Revenge/Overpower/Whirlwind.

Thanks for the tips, going to have to look into it. I tried using my current build without my ias items and it wasn't pretty.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What's going to be the best way to farm in 1.03?

Trying to decide on a method for my Demon Hunter or Monk.

I currently either farm gold at 200k/hr, Act 2 goblins in 226 MF gear, or do 5 stack Valor Maghda runs without MF on my monk.

My friend has a demon hunter that can get like 150k/hr in a gold find set as while doing 5 stack butcher runs. That's appealing for 1.03 since it'll combine 2 methods and I have a demon hunter. But, then again, I could go for a MF set for butcher runs on 1.03.

Or something else.

Off the top of my head.

28K HP
12500 DPS (unbuffed)
4500 armor (buffed)
560 resists
2.6 APS or so
1100 LOH
380 life regen a sec
100 or so LPSS

FOT > Lighning Flash
Lashing Tail Kick > Sweeping Armada
Serenity > Assesnion
Mantra of Evasion > Hard Target (armor buff)
Blinding Flash > Faith in the Light
Sweeping Wing > Blade Storm

I've only switched to this build recently though. Which enabled me to progress to ZK's head. I'm trying to get life regen up. I sacrificed some armor and resists for increased LOH and APS.
I'm quoting myself from a couple of page ago :

Huge shout out for RDreamer who posted this in the last topic:

Speaking of monk builds, I've got:

Fists of Thunder - Lightning Flash
Deadly Reach - Keen Eye

Breath of Heaven - Blazing Wrath
Blinding Flash - Faith in the Light
Serenity - Peaceful Repose
Mantra of Healing - Time of Need

Transcendence
One with Everything
Seize the Initiative

I stole this, uped my res to 500 and act 1 inferno was a breeze. I changed Deadly Reach with 7 Sided Strikes thing for more dps (I also like being invulnerable while casting). Every players are dying next to me and always respawn on me. I keep elites from regenrating health. I got comments like " how do you don't die ? How much life do you have ? " basically the same as him:
15k base dps, buffed at 18k, with max buff at 23 (for 3 sec, usualy to throw 7 Sides Strikes)
9k armor buffed
500 all res
25k hp

Now I could get higher res with better items. Also, I new to swap my two hand for one hand and shield and skyrocket my block rate and attack speed

Also, I trade 7 sided strike for Sweeping wings for extra, passive aeo dps

That's the build I'm shooting my Barb for. ~60% Crit is pretty easy to get and Life Steal scales better than Life on Hit for Revenge/Overpower/Whirlwind.

How would you go about gearing a monk with nerfed IAS?

Maybe the IAS nerf won't be so bad and diminishing returns aren't totally noticable until 3+ APS.

Heh ... I can hope at least.

Duesy

It will be ALOT harder to reach that 3 APS that you have now after the patch. Seems like they are reducing the IAS on most things by ~50%

scy

How would you go about gearing a monk with nerfed IAS?

Maybe the IAS nerf won't be so bad and diminishing returns aren't totally noticable until 3+ APS.

Heh ... I can hope at least.

Well, there's no Diminishing Returns, just halving the values. I'd just get two good Fist weapons since they have decent speeds and maybe ~15% IAS% across the rest of your equipment to try and get them to close to 2 APS. From there, just normal Life on Hit, Life Regen, etc. stuff.

Also, Life Regen isn't terrible and should probably be geared a bit more often :x At least, it's a good enough stat to be sought after once you get DEX/Resists/Armor/VIT in place. Hell, I'd almost take it over VIT if you're comfortable with your HP.

Interesting how a lot of the DH builds use pretty much the same 5 skills and a freebie. Perhaps with some different runes on the first 5, but most people are pretty much locked into Hungering Arrow, Elemental Arrow, Smoke Screen, Preperation, and Companion.

I'm quoting myself from a couple of page ago :

Also, I trade 7 sided strike for Sweeping wings for extra, passive aeo dps

The builds are almost the same really. I use lashing tail kick instead of deadly reach because it helps me clear mobs when swarmed. Other than that, I use sweeping wind in place of Breath of Heaven. Both are basically DPS skills accepts sweeping wind gives me the AOE.

The main difference there was the armor, which I know I need pretty badly. My issues are that when I get hit, I get hit for too much damage. I've been considering dropping 300 LOH and some APS for more armor and resists from a shield.

Well, there's no Diminishing Returns, just halving the values. I'd just get two good Fist weapons since they have decent speeds and maybe ~15% IAS% across the rest of your equipment to try and get them to close to 2 APS. From there, just normal Life on Hit, Life Regen, etc. stuff.

Also, Life Regen isn't terrible and should probably be geared a bit more often :x At least, it's a good enough stat to be sought after once you get DEX/Resists/Armor/VIT in place. Hell, I'd almost take it over VIT if you're comfortable with your HP.

Is dual wielding better than an shield in inferno?

Wait ... maybe I missed something, but last i head there was no definite way they were approaching the nerf. Have they released info regarding how they're going to affect IAS?

scy

Is dual wielding better than an shield in inferno?

I prefer it over Block, especially when Dodge values get to the >60% mark. A 20-30% chance to block some damage isn't that big of a deal vs the extra Life on Hit, extra Attack Speed, and extra evasion you can get from DW. Plus better Spirit Generation and, if you're lucky, Life per Spirit Spent.

But, it's entirely reliant on getting the gear so you don't go down instantly / nearly instantly when your dodging fails. You still need enough mitigation to take a few hits in a row without dying.

Wait ... maybe I missed something, but last i head there was no definite way they were approaching the nerf. Have they released info regarding how they're going to affect IAS?

It was datamined that they're just halving the values. Unless something changes when the patch goes live, that's just what we're looking at happening.

Ferrio

Banned
Interesting how a lot of the DH builds use pretty much the same 5 skills and a freebie. Perhaps with some different runes on the first 5, but most people are pretty much locked into Hungering Arrow, Elemental Arrow, Smoke Screen, Preperation, and Companion.

I think only the first 4 are needed. Companion is another freebie. I use Mines, and the stampede arrows.

Is anyone getting blue screens of death during d3? For the past 2 nights I've had one each night, both different memory errors and only during d3, windows mem test claims my ram is fine though.

It was datamined that they're just halving the values. Unless something changes when the patch goes live, that's just what we're looking at happening.

That seems rather lazy.

I wonder who gets hurt by this the most. Its seems like a monk since IAS is crucial to our survivability while a DH can still build for a one shot glass cannon with high DPS and high CRIT.

The high CRIT and high lifesteal doens't seem viable for a monk since our damage is terrible.

This seems ironic since it appeared like they're intent was the nerf the DH the most with the change.

MrDaravon

Does anyone know what the highest IAS will be?
Will 25% adjust to say 15% or lower?

This is the leak/supposed list going around:

The attack speed affix has been reduced significantly on all items. The following list outlines all of the previous values and new values for each affix level. This should give you a rough idea of how much IAS you should expect to lose.

UPDATE: IAS on Quivers appears to be unchanged, I checked a few (including Dead Man's Legacy) and they retained their pre 1.0.3 values.

Weapons
​Haste 1: Old: (2-3%) New: (2%)
Haste 2: Old: (4-5%) New: (2%)
Haste 3: Old: (6-7%) New: (2-3%)
Haste 4: Old: (8-9%) New: (2-3%)
Haste 5: Old: (10-11%) New: (3-4%)
Haste 6: Old: (12-13%) New: (3-4%)
Haste 7: Old: (14-15%) New: (5%)
Haste 8: Old: (16-17%) New: (6-7%)
Haste 9: Old: (18-19%) New: (8-9%)
Haste 10: Old: (20-25%) New: (10-11%)

Other Types (Rings, Amulet, Gloves, Legendaries)
Haste 1: Old: (2-3%) New: (2%)
Haste 2: Old: (4-5%) New: (2-3%)
Haste 3: Old: (6-7%) New: (3-4%)
Haste 4: Old: (8-9%) New: (3-4%)
Haste 5: Old: (10-11%) New: (4-5%)
Haste 6: Old: (12-13%) New: (5-6%)
Haste 7: Old: (14-15%) New: (6-7%)
Haste 8: Old: (16-17%) New: (8-9%)

I think only the first 4 are needed. Companion is another freebie. I use Mines, and the stampede arrows.

Companion (almost always Bat) yeah is probably also a freebie, but I think a lot of people like it since it's a straight bonus that you don't have to think about. Because we're so resource limited, there's not much else you can do with that slot. Rain of Vengeance is alright since it's doesn't cost anything but the cooldown. Turret would also be an acceptable substitution for Companion.

And yes, I use Scatter Mines too as my 6th.

Although I mentioned before - Evasive Fire can be surprisingly good, and I think Bola and Entangling are useful to an extent and have their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom