• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to think that everything in Act 3 and beyond just ignores armor and resistances. Any kind of elemental attack just does ridiculous damage even with 1000+ in resistances and 9000+ Armor. Since dropping my armor down to 6500~ on my Barbarian in favor of more offense, I don't seem to be taking any more damage, either.

RDreamer

So why is it expensive to outfit a monk? It seems like it would be cheaper because of their passive that boost all res.

Except that the other melee class, Barbarian also has a boost to resistance that puts them +50%, and I think most Barbs tend to use that through inferno. Using One With Everything on a monk does help, but it means you'll have to forgo some upgrades specifically because they're not your resist. And dual resist items aren't cheap, since monks have to have them. I think using One With Everything and getting through Act 1 can be cheap, since you need a lower amount of resistances, so you could pick up something without all res and just has your res of choice for cheap, but that's just act 1. Come act 2 and 3 you need every piece to have All res and your specific one.

Monks also don't have very many dps type skills like even a Barb has, so we have to try and survive even longer while plinking away. And lastly, major dex upgrades aren't cheap, since DHs all use those, too.

I'm starting to think that everything in Act 3 and beyond just ignores armor and resistances. Any kind of elemental attack just does ridiculous damage even with 1000+ in resistances and 9000+ Armor. Since dropping my armor down to 6500~ on my Barbarian in favor of more offense, I don't seem to be taking any more damage, either.

Yeah, this seems pretty crazy. That's why I just dropped the healing mantra with my monk and put on evasion instead. Having over a thousand in resists meant I died in like 1 second of desecration instead of .8 seconds. I wanna know what kind of crazy resists and armor you need for that stuff....

TommyT

You show that pleb, guy.
He's proven your point wrong and all you have to offer is condescension? Yes, if you don't want to die all the time, survivability is clearly an important factor and doesn't come cheap. If you don't, you the class allows you to cheapskate your way through Inferno. You're the one insisting on the survivability route because it preserves your point as being the more valid of the two.

Sorry if this is a bit scathing, but fuck...

He didn't prove my point wrong. I never said you can't play a DH on the cheap. My point was that, from what he was posting before, there was only one way to play the char. I'm simply saying there isn't. When giving someone advice about the type of gear they can (should?) go or what have you, at least take into account multiple play styles.

To the bolded: I never insisted one way to play over the other. There's what I prefer sure, but I've yet to say one or the other when saying what someone 'needs' or how you should play a class.

edit: If you like to play glass-cannon then by all means go for it. I see plenty of people doing it successfully and have no problems if that's how you want to or like to play. That isn't the only way to play, and to not even acknowledge any other option as viable is just silly.

Revoh

What build are you using?
I was able to survive a lot more using Leap with the 300% more armor rune and ignore pain with the 7 seconds duration rune, combine that with revenge and furious charge, and obviously warcry. If you don't need to heal that much -- or need to do more dmg- you can drop furious charge and put WotB in.
There are some elites combination that are impossible with my tank barb though.

Kenaras

I spent 100k on a bow for my demon hunter, and nothing else. I'm currently farming act 3.

I've spent a lot of money on my monk, and act 3 is impossible. I'm sure it would be doable with enough money spent, but I don't see how it could be done for under 50 million unless you're camping the auction house all day sniping underpriced items.

Anyone who thinks you have to spend a lot of money to play a demon hunter in inferno is doing it wrong. Sure, the best demon hunter gear is horribly expensive. The thing is, you don't need any of it; all it does is make your farming easier.

Except that the other melee class, Barbarian also has a boost to resistance that puts them +50%, and I think most Barbs tend to use that through inferno. Using One With Everything on a monk does help, but it means you'll have to forgo some upgrades specifically because they're not your resist. And dual resist items aren't cheap, since monks have to have them. I think using One With Everything and getting through Act 1 can be cheap, since you need a lower amount of resistances, so you could pick up something without all res and just has your res of choice for cheap, but that's just act 1. Come act 2 and 3 you need every piece to have All res and your specific one.

Monks also don't have very many dps type skills like even a Barb has, so we have to try and survive even longer while plinking away. And lastly, major dex upgrades aren't cheap, since DHs all use those, too.

Yeah, this seems pretty crazy. That's why I just dropped the healing mantra with my monk and put on evasion instead. Having over a thousand in resists meant I died in like 1 second of desecration instead of .8 seconds. I wanna know what kind of crazy resists and armor you need for that stuff....

Desecration is an outlier, resist/armor helps a ton with everything else

neoism

original.jpg

LordCanti

Diablo on that crazy resolution and a mobile gpu? Tell us what fps you get :p

I want to know what FPM he gets; frames per minute. That thing is going to chug like a server farm trying to render Wall-E.

I've heard around 30FPS. Which in itself is a huge upgrade from what I had to suffer with my 9400m 13" MBP. I had to play in a tiny window with all low settings and still had 20FPS.

If it does run that well, Apple has an amazing product on their hands.

(I want a screen with that resolution so bad ;_;)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I've heard around 30FPS. Which in itself is a huge upgrade from what I had to suffer with my 9400m 13" MBP. I had to play in a tiny window with all low settings and still had 20FPS.

Full screen at the lowest resolution should run better than window mode. Tho, I don't really know about apple gaming.

DSmalls84

I found a pair of gloves with 120 dex/vit and 50 res all. Would those be any good for a Monk? Was wondering if any gloves without IAS/Crit were worth anything.

theta11

I found a pair of gloves with 120 dex/vit and 50 res all. Would those be any good for a Monk? Was wondering if any gloves without IAS/Crit were worth anything.

They'd be good yes, IAS and Crit are preferrable though but sometimes you can't get everything. Given that most monks want 4 specific stats on an item it makes a 5th stat thats beneficial so rare and items with 5 super expensive.

Anustart

Woo, someone bid 25$ on a ring with 40 dex, 54 vit, 38 phy resist, 15% asi and crit damage + 26%. Bought it off the gah for sole reason to put on rmah for giggles. Just reigned 100k gold into at least 25$.

Edit : bid vanished :( didn't know you could cancel bids

He didn't prove my point wrong. I never said you can't play a DH on the cheap. My point was that, from what he was posting before, there was only one way to play the char. I'm simply saying there isn't. When giving someone advice about the type of gear they can (should?) go or what have you, at least take into account multiple play styles.

To the bolded: I never insisted one way to play over the other. There's what I prefer sure, but I've yet to say one or the other when saying what someone 'needs' or how you should play a class.

edit: If you like to play glass-cannon then by all means go for it. I see plenty of people doing it successfully and have no problems if that's how you want to or like to play. That isn't the only way to play, and to not even acknowledge any other option as viable is just silly.

But when I implied you could, you said I didn't know what I was talking about ...

DSmalls84

They'd be good yes, IAS and Crit are preferrable though but sometimes you can't get everything. Given that most monks want 4 specific stats on an item it makes a 5th stat thats beneficial so rare and items with 5 super expensive.

I had found a few items with Dex and Res All that I stashed away in case I wanted to roll a DH or Monk. I'm really liking my Barb now, so I'm kind of interested in trying the monk seeing as it's the only other melee character. Thanks for all the responses about Monk gear, I haven't really done any research or sold many items.

Blitzhex

30 fps on that resolution sounds good. Try the game on bootcamp as well, I've heard that the mac version of the game is very unoptimized.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What build are you using?
I was able to survive a lot more using Leap with the 300% more armor rune and ignore pain with the 7 seconds duration rune, combine that with revenge and furious charge, and obviously warcry. If you don't need to heal that much -- or need to do more dmg- you can drop furious charge and put WotB in.
There are some elites combination that are impossible with my tank barb though.

I was using sword and board at first with a focus on survival, and yeah, when I had Ignore Pain, or Leap w/ the Rune and Threatening Shout, etc. going, I could survive stuff decently, but that didn't help me much on rare packs that have a gajillion hit points since my DPS was in the shitter.

It's also just not fun at all (for me) to micromanage defensive abilities that last 4 to 7 seconds each but have much longer refresh times. I'm of the mind that active defensive abilities should be used for the rare occasion when things get overwhelming--not something that needs to be on if you want to survive at all.

I've since switched to crit %/crit damage-focused dual-wielding build with a ton of life on hit. With this build, I was actually able to progress (whilst dying many, many times) and get past Ghom in Act III.

It's still not much fun, but defensive active abilities aside, I don't even see that much of a difference in terms of survivability from when I had 2500 more armor and over 40% chance to block with a Stormshield. At least now I can kite anything down as long as it doesn't have Jailer. It certainly takes a while, though.

LordCanti

Woo, someone bid 25$ on a ring with 40 dex, 54 vit, 38 phy resist, 15% asi and crit damage + 26%. Bought it off the gah for sole reason to put on rmah for giggles. Just reigned 100k gold into at least 25$.

That happened to someone else earlier. I looked around at the places I know to look, and didn't see any mention of any way to do it.

I was going to say that you got a great bid (since I just sold a similar ring earlier for $10). It's a shame that it didn't go through or whatever.

Thinking about it, maybe their payment method doesn't go through? Who knows.

FtHTiny

had the same problem earlier.
But the bid is still on it. If you find your item after searching for it you will see that the bid still stands. And after it runs out you will get the cash.
Little bug it seems.

TommyT

But when I implied you could, you said I didn't know what I was talking about ...

I guess I didn't know what you're talking about, or rather trying to say from what you typed vs what you bolded. I thought you were implying (thus I inferred) something along the lines of: a DH is cheap to build if you're stacking aspd.

Sorry, guess I should have said something like "This doesn't make sense to me compared to what you're complaining about" or something :lol

I've been playing with 3 friends and we have all been farming Inferno A1 (Jail to Butcher) for a week.

None of us have gotten any drops better than what we have and none of us is able to survive enough to have fun in A2.

A) Progression should not be this bad.
B) The AH is not fun for me. Maybe it's fun for some, but I want to find items from killing monsters (which I haven't), not from scanning a spreadsheet simulator. And part of that is because...
C) The AH interface is horrible. There is no practical way to know what sort of price you should post something for, and not a decently reliable way to even search if you are interested in more than 3 affixes. Blizzard has an AH in WoW and people have built mods to improve its functionality immensely. They explicitly disallowed mods in this game, but released and AH that is horribly unfriendly, yet required to progress. I don't want to spend time doing this.
D) Saying that Inferno is a 'bonus mode,' so we shouldn't complain about it is fundamentally wrong. Your character only reaches level 60 right as Inferno mode is unlocked. By the time you hit 60, you have just beaten Hell and only then are you able to get NV buffs and have all of your skills unlocked. To say that all of the content that occurs once you've unlocked a full build and all of the mechanics is 'bonus content' is a cop out. "The game begins at 60" ought to be true, but instead it's more like: "The poorly thought out boss affixes (invulnerable, cough) and terrible balance (any build is viable! except most of them!) and progression really get highlighted at 60."
F) No Ubers? No anything at 60 or Inferno except for the same acts we've already ran? Really? I know that D2 didn't launch with bonus content at 60, but that game released years ago and the D2 maintenance team supposedly was smart enough to realize that people wanted something new at high level, not just doing the same Baal runs. It's just lazy design that I'm skipping the same cutscenes, running the same content, and there is literally NOTHING to distinguish Inferno from the rest of the game, except the balance is completely wrong.

Bought these on bid for 24k, flipped for 234k (Sell price was 250k or 275k - 234k was after fees):

yRdcS.jpg

And talking about good quivers for cheap? I snagged this the other day for myself for only 72k:

2H7th.jpg

RDreamer

Probably not worth much at all, especially if it doesn't have a dual resist on it. Monks equipment pretty much needs to have resist all and another resist. The other resist is the one they're stacking. If it's just got res all, even if it's 50 that means a really low res all + their chosen resist will beat it any day. And honestly damage is so hard to come by for a Monk that I personally wouldn't have gloves without any sort of crit or IAS on 'em.

The other thing is that crafting gloves is so big that I think the market is becoming flooded, so unless you find the perfect pair, they're not worth much at all. Crafters will throw gloves like that onto the market cheap just to get rid of them so they have those AH slots for the real money makers.

Desecration is an outlier, resist/armor helps a ton with everything else

The other stuff rapes me pretty well too. In Act 2 I can stand in plague stuff and molten. Hell, in Act 1 I can stand in the butcher's fire and not lose health. But in Act 3 I just get murdered by any of those modifiers monsters can have, even with over a thousand resists.

Anustart

had the same problem earlier.
But the bid is still on it. If you find your item after searching for it you will see that the bid still stands. And after it runs out you will get the cash.
Little bug it seems.

Off to search!

Edit: you are correct, the bid stands, woo!

Revoh

I was using sword and board at first with a focus on survival, and yeah, when I had Ignore Pain, or Leap w/ the Rune and Threatening Shout, etc. going, I could survive stuff decently, but that didn't help me much on rare packs that have a gajillion hit points since my DPS was in the shitter.

It's also just not fun at all (for me) to micromanage defensive abilities that last 4 to 7 seconds each but have much longer refresh times. I'm of the mind that active defensive abilities should be used for the rare occasion when things get overwhelming--not something that needs to be on if you want to survive at all.

I've since switched to crit %/crit damage-focused dual-wielding build with a ton of life on hit. With this build, I was actually able to progress (whilst dying many, many times) and get past Ghom in Act III.

It's still not much fun, but defensive active abilities aside, I don't even see that much of a difference in terms of survivability from when I had 2500 more armor and over 40% chance to block with a Stormshield. At least now I can kite anything down as long as it doesn't have Jailer. It certainly takes a while, though.

You're where I want to go with my barb after I finish inferno using this build.
I want to try that build too, high crit, high attack speed, and high dps sounds like a lot of fun.
I tried going 2h yesterday, dropped my HoC, SS, and several "must have" items and replaced with gear that had way more str and less vit, and it was really fun.. until I tried act3: NOPE.
I was definitely undergeared though, I wasted around 3M to try this so I guess with a few more millions I can improvise this build a lot.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Barbarian is a zillion times more fun as a DPS than a tank. Love it.
Although I'm only in Act 2 I'd agree. Sword and board sorta worked but it was boring to run away and do nothing else for long periods of time while everything was on cool down. I don't have much gold but moved to a decent dps 2hander (1173) and 9% lifesteal (passive, belt, weapon) and run with warcry (the rune that gives 60 rage), ignore pain (20% life return rune), earthquake, and sprint (run like the wind rune), frenzy and seismic slam. My stats are far from great (24k hps, 250 resists, 36k dps) but Act 2 just became trivial up through ZK.

Seismic slam, run like the wind and earthquake all scale off weapon dps which is pretty high. I can kite and do a ton of damage and then when ignore pain is off cool down I can engage for 5 seconds and refill my fury for more dps kiting. When earthquake is up I can stand in there for the duration against most elite packs and do massive dps. It was hard to give up wrath but run like the wind just made everything so much easier and fun. Without it most elite packs in oasis and desolate sands were faster than I was (sword and board) even without the 'fast' affix and survival was very, very difficult.

Quick question... trying to find some items (rings) with + damage on them but I can't seem to get the AH to search for them properly. Any ideas on what I should be choosing? If I pick Bonus Minimum Physical Damage it returns nothing for my parameters (there are items with those stats, I find them with other searches).

Any ideas?

bs000

Anyone else on inferno Diablo? I require assistance! I can get him down to 25% health in second phase then surprise shadow clone one shots me :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Although I'm only in Act 2 I'd agree. Sword and board sorta worked but it was boring to run away and do nothing else for long periods of time while everything was on cool down. I don't have much gold but moved to a decent dps 2hander (1173) and 9% lifesteal (passive, belt, weapon) and run with warcry (the rune that gives 60 rage), ignore pain (20% life return rune), earthquake, and sprint (run like the wind rune), frenzy and seismic slam. My stats are far from great (24k hps, 250 resists, 36k dps) but Act 2 just became trivial up through ZK.

Seismic slam, run like the wind and earthquake all scale off weapon dps which is pretty high. I can kite and do a ton of damage and then when ignore pain is off cool down I can engage for 5 seconds and refill my fury for more dps kiting. When earthquake is up I can stand in there for the duration against most elite packs and do massive dps. It was hard to give up wrath but run like the wind just made everything so much easier and fun. Without it most elite packs in oasis and desolate sands were faster than I was (sword and board) even without the 'fast' affix and survival was very, very difficult.

I recommend you work Battle Rage with Into the Fray into your strategy if you have room. If you have a decent crit %, the tornadoes will generally keep your rage full as long as there are a few mobs around.

Rufus

Why even have legendaries at such low levels if they're invariably going to be outclassed by the next rare that comes along?

windz

Anyone else on inferno Diablo? I require assistance! I can get him down to 25% health in second phase then surprise shadow clone one shots me :(

You're doing well :) I'd say keep an eye on Diablo and when he disappears wait a brief moment before pre-emptively popping any defensive cooldown/avoidance so the first shot they put out misses you.

Random tips: Diablo raising his hand/arm = Shooting the fireball at you. Leg in the air = AE fire nova. Keeping diablo on the screen will prevent him from teleporting onto you and melee'ing. Also in phase 2 I wouldn't recommend being on one side of the crater in the middle with him on the other - he will tele onto you and melee and survival in P2 is a lot rougher than in P1/3. Just kite him around the crater but always have a clear casting/walking path between you and Diablo.

LegoDad

If you guys are going to start going Full out DPS Barb, have you thought about using the Passive, that gives you 3% of the Damage done as health? Or you could use the Full Fury for 25% extra DPS...

So... Is it just me or do all the Exalted Grand items produce ilvl 62 items? If so, then what the fuck is the point? ilvl 63 drops are going to always be superior to ilvl 62, and it's even more pronounced with weapons.

I always thought that crafting was useless unless you were crafting 6 property items. But with this, it seems like it's useless even WHEN crafting 6 property items. A good ilvl 63 item will always beat a good crafted item.

Am I analyzing this wrong?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys are going to start going Full out DPS Barb, have you thought about using the Passive, that gives you 3% of the Damage done as health? Or you could use the Full Fury for 25% extra DPS...

I use 3% healing, personally. The 25% extra DPS one would be useless for me since I'm constantly spending fury on Sprint, Battle Rage and Seismic Slam.

LegoDad

So... Is it just me or do all the Exalted Grand items produce ilvl 62 items? If so, then what the fuck is the point? ilvl 63 drops are going to always be superior to ilvl 62, and it's even more pronounced with weapons.

I always thought that crafting was useless unless you were crafting 6 property items. But with this, it seems like it's useless even WHEN crafting 6 property items. A good ilvl 63 item will always beat a good crafted item.

Am I analyzing this wrong?

Making weapons is useless, but creating armor can be beneficial. though yes the top drops will always be better than what you craft, but they drop rarely.

Ya, playing as a barbarian in this game isn't broken.

LegoDad

I use 3% healing, personally. The 25% extra DPS one would be useless for me since I'm constantly spending fury on Sprint, Battle Rage and Seismic Slam.

My goal is to keep my resists at 1100 ish, and raise my DPS to 15k, so I'm equally balanced as a DPS barb and tank barb, problem is you need 6 affixes on items and they all have to be good rolls. becomes super expensive or tedious to find.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I took the 3% passive as I also have 3% on both weapon and belt. Although lifesteal is nerfed for inferno this combination seems to give me significant healing. You also don't need the expensive and soon-to-be-nerfed IAS to power the equally expensive life-on-hit that many dps builds use. When ignore pain is active I get my normal lifesteal, 65% damage reduction and an extra 20% lifesteal. Then frenzied axes flying everywhere also doing damage and returning health and if EQ is up the incoming healing is just huge.

When ignore pain is on cool down, enemies are running through tornadoes which do significant damage and also heals me up. Once I disengaged from melee a bit late and only had a sliver of life left. Tornadoes healed me to full before ignore pain was off cool down again.

LordCanti

One of the items I'm bidding on (that didn't have a buyout) is now listed as "current bid: 0". It's not set to expire for hours.

WTF Blizzard? :p

Trying to make another bid brings up "this item is no longer available" which kind of blows considering that it was only at like 200k, and I know it's worth over 10m.

TommyT

1100 resists? I was all happy I hit 600s with my DH.

Yeah, but you're not getting hit nearly the same rate they are. 600 is good assuming you've maintained other stats as well. I want to say Opiate was in that area with his shadow power build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom