• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
If you wanna see how much damage you might gain/lose from crit damage

Here

http://www.diablodamagecalculator.com/

Long as your crit/dex/weapon damage is decent, a crit damage 50% will do way more dps than +100 damage on a weapon.

Pretty much once you get above around 1k weapon damage... crit damage will scale better.

My character currently has a 999 dps blue weapon... but 83% crit damage. I'm around... almost 300% crit damage I think

Crit damage is one of the best dps boosts (outside of atk speed) you can get (as long asyou have a decent crit chance). If you're not sacrificing too much weapon damage it's a good trade.. As for Disc, I think 45 is the cut off.. anything below that and backup plan isn't the most efficient of the preparation runes (and you want it to be).

That's definitely good to know, and also what would you consider decent crit chance?

Edit: Ok cool that is a nifty tool to use, thanks

I have 40. Its decent but I would definitely love to have around 10 or 12 more. I just dont see myself being able to afford the gear with decent defensive stats and dps stats annnnnnd the max Disc I need. But I cannot live without at least enough to allow you to use something like SS, or Shadow power 3 times consecutively from a full tank. I feel like thats absolutely the minimum. You can do that with at least 38 IIRC.

50 disc must feel wonderful, especially if you are running Nightstalker.

Haha yeah it definitely does feel good, enough so where I feel like I could sacrifice some for some higher dps within my budget. I've tooled around with nightstalker but I prefer tactical advantage, and I'm not giving up sharpshooter or archery so I can't really make room for it.

Zertez

Anyone on US now that could help with Belial inferno? Been trying to kill him for the past hour with now luck. Bnet tag is Tick1452. Can offer a little gold.

Junie12

1.0.3 tomorrow? Shit I didn't even passed Inferno Act 2 yet :(

I did not know it would come so soon..

Looks like I have to pull of an all-nighter tonight, wanna beat this Act before they nerf it.

Dahbomb

I have a question:

If I make like $60+ on the RMAH and put it in my Battle.net account (aka BlizzardBucks)... can I buy ANOTHER Diablo 3 copy and give the CD key to a friend?

inky

Does anyone have the ilvl percentage drops changes for 1.03 that they can post again? Im thinking it might be better to farm Act 2. Its easy enough for me at this point.

These are average droprates. Different items will have different rates (legendaries will still be crap). You should farm Act II (so will I), as you are basically doubling your chances at iLVL 63 items.

BTsra.png

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Patch_103_Design_Preview-6_6_2012#blog

theta11

I have a question:

If I make like $60+ on the RMAH and put it in my Battle.net account (aka BlizzardBucks)... can I buy ANOTHER Diablo 3 copy and give the CD key to a friend?

I don't think so, it just tells you that you already have the license tied to your account. I could be wrong though.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Ya, playing as a barbarian in this game isn't broken.

So you think barbarians should just be able to stand in place and spam abilities and win? I sort of like the kite/melee hybrid spec I use. One can go more pure kite by using battle rage with fury on crit but meh...its fun to go in there and finish it.

I have a question:

Saw this question answered before and it was a negative, unfortunately. You can buy pretty things for your WoW character and stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So you think barbarians should just be able to stand in place and spam abilities and win? I sort of like the kite/melee hybrid spec I use. One can go more pure kite by using battle rage with fury on crit but meh...its fun to go in there and finish it.

Yes... depending on enemy group size. Obviously, even Barbarians should be able to get overwhelmed, but as of now, there is pretty much no such thing as toe-to-toe battles starting with Act III inferno. Maybe if you have absolutely insane gear, but generally it just isn't possible regardless of the class.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
These are average droprates. Different items will have different rates (legendaries will still be crap). You should farm Act II (so will I), as you are basically doubling your chances at iLVL 63 items.

BTsra.png

This + crafting means everything is going to crash in prices on the AH. Much better rolls, etc.

Hopefully I can actually get some decent plans. I've had Exalted Pallium drop at least 5 times.

Anustart

This + crafting means everything is going to crash in prices on the AH. Much better rolls, etc.

Hopefully I can actually get some decent plans. I've had Exalted Pallium drop at least 5 times.

Not right away though, so all you act 1 farmers, get it while it's good for the next couple days before they do crash.

Not right away though, so all you act 1 farmers, get it while it's good for the next couple days before they do crash.

It's a lose lose situation for Blizzard.

With this change to drop rates, the markets eventually crash making even the endgame grind pointless (why farm for hours to sell items when the items don't sell for much anymore?), and if they don't change the drop rates, everyone will just get frustrated and quit because they can't progress.

They need a new form of content, something completely separate that adds a new dimension to the game. One idea I had is like a challenge ladder (think of Batman: Arkham City challenges or something) where you could have raid-style encounters that required a group, and you can progress through the challenge ladder to harder and harder challenges that all have unique rewardsl, and perhaps titles.

Cipherr

No. Melee when well geared can definitely stand toe to toe longer than any ranged. But you shouldnt be able to just plant in the fire and whatnot and tank everything down. Not in Inferno. Hell and below? Sure.

BTsra.png

Thanks, I think I will definitely do Act 2. I can do Act 3, but getting 5 stacks is much easier for me in Act 2 at my current gear level, especially since I relisted and sold off my two amazing IAS rings :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No. Melee when well geared can definitely stand toe to toe longer than any ranged. But you shouldnt be able to just plant in the fire and whatnot and tank everything down. Not in Inferno. Hell and below? Sure.

Obviously, you should have to avoid standing in disease, molten, fire, arcane, and dodge ice balls, projectiles, etc. As long as you do this in Act I and Act II inferno, you can get by pretty well as a melee. It's only in Act III when this suddenly becomes impossible. It's a very stark difference.

Shouta

Longer than ranged != effective for a melee.

Neither Monk or Barb can go toe to toe with elites in Act 3 because the damage is far too high at the moment. It's not tough, it's ridiculous. Most barbs with 1000+ resists and high blocks with gobs of HP still can't do Act 3 feasibly. My monk barely gets by right now using a hybrid evasion/mitigation build. Even if I can get NV5, it's a helluva lot more work than glass cannon DHs do to get it.

Longer than ranged != effective for a melee.

Neither Monk or Barb can go toe to toe with elites in Act 3 because the damage is far too high at the moment. It's not tough, it's ridiculous. Most barbs with 1000+ resists and high blocks with gobs of HP still can't do Act 3 feasibly. My monk barely gets by right now using a hybrid evasion/mitigation build. Even if I can get NV5, it's a helluva lot more work than glass cannon DHs do to get it.

I farm Act 3 and ponies with a monk regularly. When I buff him with Warcry, he can basically stand in anything. Not forever, but he can sit there and take hits from a full pack of elites + a lot of random trash mobs and be fine. He moves out of desecration, but he stands in molten and plagued comfortably.

he's got 35k HP, about 1000 resist unbuffed (so 1500 with my Warcry), 7.5k armor, 2200ish DEX, and 0 LoH.

Vodh

It's a lose lose situation for Blizzard.

With this change to drop rates, the markets eventually crash making even the endgame grind pointless (why farm for hours to sell items when the items don't sell for much anymore?), and if they don't change the drop rates, everyone will just get frustrated and quit because they can't progress.

They need a new form of content, something completely separate that adds a new dimension to the game. One idea I had is like a challenge ladder (think of Batman: Arkham City challenges or something) where you could have raid-style encounters that required a group, and you can progress through the challenge ladder to harder and harder challenges that all have unique rewardsl, and perhaps titles.

1) nope, the prices will just shift, stuff that's selling for 10m now will sell for let's say 1m, but the items that will now be as rare as the once-10m ones were before 103 will sell for 10m instead. There are still going to be items that are just insanely hard to find (just now it's going to have to be rolls closer to perfect) and people with insane amounts of gold willing to buy it. All that's changing is that most of the inferno-viable gear will become more affordable, the prices for high end rolls will be determined by how much money people have. Same goes for RMAH - and before you say it, stuff that's enough to beat the game has never been the ceiling of people's ambitions with diablo loot, it's not about how much stats do you actually need, it's about how much you can get.

2) god no, it's not an MMORPG and let's keep it that way.

I don't think anyone's complaining about having to move out of molten and plague, it's more that the monsters from act2 onwards hit like trucks. My barb crushes act1 but can't even stand normal melee attacks from monsters in act2, and I'm using a highly defensive build/skills.

For melee classes it's purely a gear check. I'm lucky I have a wizard so I can easily farm for gear for my barbarian without having to spend millions on gear. The ranged classes have it so easy in comparison.

inky

Yes, and the problem is that enemies just chew through your resistances, (which are pretty hard to get already) but more that you kind of gave up your DPS because so many stats take precedence for melee over your main stat. Adding to that, your skill-set is designed to be in the heat of battle most of the time, or facilitate getting into big groups and close. People of course have created workarounds and build glass canon barbs, but more out of necessity than through good skill synergy. Most of the ranged abilities you have (like throw weapon/spear) are more of the utility kind, not DPS kind. Others like the sprint/tornado Barb need a lot of LoH to work well, because you are banking on extremely high DPS but at the cost of survivability.

Edit: well, this post was supposed to add to the melee convo, after Shouta's post, so imagine it's up there.

2) god no, it's not an MMORPG and let's keep it that way.

I'm not talking about an MMO. I'm talking about simple, directed, boss fights that you just load up and you're in, that are not connected to the story. It need not even be a boss fight, it can be a "survive the onslaught" type of thing. How is it any different than just joining a group, loading up the quest to kill siegebreaker, and then killing him with your group? Exact same idea, just make a ladder out of it, and make the mechanics and difficulty much higher than what's currently out there, to demand the absolute best gear.

Ultimately what it boils down to is that once there is a much larger supply of good gear on the market, said gear will sell for less money. Until now, the motivation for a lot of people to keep grinding was to sell gear and make money off of it. With an increased supply of items, stuff won't be worth as much. And with nothing else to progress into it, what's left? Needs more content.

I'm not talking about an MMO. I'm talking about simple, directed, boss fights that you just load up and you're in, that are not connected to the story. It need not even be a boss fight, it can be a "survive the onslaught" type of thing. How is it any different than just joining a group, loading up the quest to kill siegebreaker, and then killing him with your group? Exact same idea, just make a ladder out of it, and make the mechanics and difficulty much higher than what's currently out there, to demand the absolute best gear.
I'd like to see more Jar of Souls type events, maybe in a group. Survive waves horde style maybe.

Vodh

As long as it's also doable without a group (let's say a more finely tuned hp/damage multipliers and separate ladders to make both modes interesting) I'm all for new content in whatever shape or form. Talking about raid-style was a bit misleading, but I still have to strongly disagree with the group requirement - one of the great things about Diablo for me is that grouping is optional and the only factor determining whether or not I'm playing with a group is whether or not I feel like playing in a group right now and I'd hate to see an addition that would make the choice for me.

I'm really curious about the Inferno Act II, III and IV nerfs. Currenly I can go through the first 2 Acts easily, but Act III&IV are really hard. I managed to solo my way to Rakanoth but it was no easy task as a WD.

Right now I'd just farm Act II with the new drop rates, but maybe I'll actually be able to farm Act III or IV.

As long as it's also doable without a group (let's say a more finely tuned hp/damage multipliers and separate ladders to make both modes interesting) I'm all for new content in whatever shape or form. Talking about raid-style was a bit misleading, but I still have to strongly disagree with the group requirement - one of the great things about Diablo for me is that grouping is optional and the only factor determining whether or not I'm playing with a group is whether or not I feel like playing in a group right now and I'd hate to see an addition that would make the choice for me.

I'm ok with some solo content too that scales up in difficulty, but I would like to see some group only content as well. The only reason being that you can make much more interesting encounter mechanics if you can assume the presence of multiple people.

I suppose I'd be ok with group difficulty scaling to include those additional mechancis when multiple people are present, but then I think that with a group the rewards should also be better.

Vodh

Ultimately what it boils down to is that once there is a much larger supply of good gear on the market, said gear will sell for less money. Until now, the motivation for a lot of people to keep grinding was to sell gear and make money off of it. With an increased supply of items, stuff won't be worth as much. And with nothing else to progress into it, what's left? Needs more content.

Yeah, good gear will cost less money, so people paying $250 for good gear will now pay $250 for great gear. And without proper build and some skill Inferno is still probably going to be pretty damn hard for most people, so I don't see Blizzard losing any money because of the drop rates.

You seem to be forgetting one thing - the drop tables that made inferno act 1 (and 2 to a certain extent) feel like a waste of time where you can never get anything decent (not entirely true but definitely true as long as you define decent as ilvl63) and the difficulty that made progression in inferno as hard as it was were really making a lot of people turn away from the game.

Anything that Blizz might have 'lost' because of market saturation with inferno act2+ viable items will be outweighed by all the people would have quit Diablo 3 but will stick around because of those changes.

Shouta

I farm Act 3 and ponies with a monk regularly. When I buff him with Warcry, he can basically stand in anything. Not forever, but he can sit there and take hits from a full pack of elites + a lot of random trash mobs and be fine. He moves out of desecration, but he stands in molten and plagued comfortably.

he's got 35k HP, about 1000 resist unbuffed (so 1500 with my Warcry), 7.5k armor, 2200ish DEX, and 0 LoH.

Monk and Barbs are really meant to play with each other considering how powerful they can buff each other. But my point stands, 1500 to kinda take hits in Act 3 and Ponies? It's kinda ridiculous. If I don't have to fight a kajillion affixes, I can do ponies and Act 3 as well, it's that damage that's just really out of whack.

The difference between range and melee is really awful. People just say get lots of all resist gear as if it's priced anywhere near affordable for your average player. You don't just need one piece of all resist, you need a whole set. I dropped my monk for a DH so fast once I hit inferno, and once my DH was 60 all I needed was a good weapon (900-1000) and I flew through Act 1 like it was nothing. Act 2 took some +disc gear so I could spam SS more often and now I'm in Act 3 feeling like I cheated.

The opportunity cost between the two progression paths is absurd. Sure you could spend millions (and what average player even has that to spend) to gear up a melee, but why not spend 1/10th of the gold for a ranged char that can do the job so much better. And then you can farm for items to sell/use for your melee since you never had the gold to outfit them anyway. 1.03 will obviously change a lot of this, but it was just silly before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom