• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly thought repair costs were going to be even worse. It seems like they are maxing out around 30-35k, which doesn't seem too bad.

Ashodin

FXutU.png

Hay guys. I love this patch.

RDreamer

Wee, look what I sniped before the down time yesterday:

a13hK.png

I'm drooling just thinking about using it. I'm pretty sure it's worth way more than what I paid.

Quoting myself, because HOLY FUCK this amulet is god. Just took down an elite in act 3 and despite losing quite a bit of vit from my amulet my health barely budged.

The repair cost change is kind of problematic because even players in Act I and Act 2 Inferno still can rack up some pretty impressive repair bills. The main point of it was to provide a disincentive for pure, cheaply constructed ranged DPS glass cannon builds death zerging their way through Act 3 for the best loot instead of actually naturally progressing their characters through the game.

Unfortunately there's no good way to discriminate on the character sheet/gear between people playing the game the way that Blizzard wants it to be played and those essentially bypassing their content gates.

....lol at using Hydras as a friggin "heals 6,7k" button.
WoW.

It was definitely not intended and a bug. Surprised they didn't fix it earlier.

Wee, look what I sniped before the down time yesterday:

a13hK.png

I'm drooling just thinking about using it. I'm pretty sure it's worth way more than what I paid.

Damn. How much you get that for?

I myself sniped a decent pair of gloves for vendor price or just above that during downtime that are worth at least around 250k. I think my bids on this one item where the AH fucked up though have lost me anywhere from 200k-500k gold to the ether unless it reappears in my completed tab later. I'll have to report it as a bug if money doesn't come through eventually, but I can't test it again unless I tried it on hardcore without risking more gold.

And that Stormshield posted up in the page is just crazy. Easily $250 or close to it, at least. Millions of gold otherwise.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
anyone expected evasive fire to get nerfed in a patch?? the fact that it can shoot through waller walls, objects, and corners is just flat out broken.

Blitzhex

I've played 200 hours now and have yet to see a legendary drop :/ I've even farmed quite a few elites with 300% mf. Where da legendaries at?

Kunohara

I've played 200 hours now and have yet to see a legendary drop :/ I've even farmed quite a few elites with 300% mf. Where da legendaries at?

Yeah, around 90 hours here, not one legendary or set item. My friends have gotten one or two.

I'm just hoping that all this bad luck will bank up the good luck, and once the new legendaries drop, I'll be swimming in them and making bank.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I havent tested this post patching...but

LMB evasive fire/cover as my hatred generator.
RMB spiketrap/scatter ( not used too often, can replace with another skill, maybe caltrops)

1 - preparation - battle scars
2 - smokescreen - lingering
3 - frost/ball arrow ( replacing NT - this is what I havent tried)
4 - vault - tumble

passives - tactical adv. archery, steady aim.

gear ( without getting too specific since I'm at work) : 1h xbow + shield.

also if you are going solo, use the enchantress

This will be the tough point for me. I'm going to have to find something that's not poo. But I'm learning that Inferno requires survivability more than crazy DPS. And did NT get nerfed bad or something?

Last first - mobs just like you have a damage range on their attacks. So the low end of that range you survive, high end you don't.

There are a couple of ways you can go to beating him depending on how you want to play. If you want to survive a hit, try getting 3k armor and 300 resists with 20k hp (ideally you'll want more 30k+ when you can get there). That should keep you safe from being 1 shot (save maybe his charge). This, coupled with smokescreen will keep you safe from anything he can throw at you.

The above 3k/300 works well for surviving elites as well. Sure, early on you'll sacrifice dps for life. However once you get better at kiting and surviving you can replace your defensive with offensive gear.

As far as skill builds go and killing mobs:

Caltrops - Jagged Spikes (snare rune)
RoV - Stampede
SS - Lingering Fog
Prep - Backup Plan
Your Primary
Your Secondary

I say those specifically because it works well for the choke-point-laden areas leading up to Warden and Butcher. Basically you'll want to clear an area, then if you run into a champion or rare funnel them through a doorway. Lay Caltrops before, in, and after the door (don't overlap). When they hit the first of the three just unload on them. When they get to the doorway pop stampede in their face to knock them back allowing you to build up hatred and let disc regen for more traps or a possible SS. If you need more time to kill, just let them through the door and SS past them repeating those steps as they come at you from the other side of the door.

If you want to play a different way/build/gear then that's a different write-up :p

I'd love this to work. I played a trapsin in D2 and have been trying since release to come up with a good trap DH build. Stampede is definitely a point I've been missing in my build - I never really thought to use it.

Regarding gear, are there good "farm" spots available (for all acts really)? Is it pretty much just Act boss farming with 5 stacks? I quit after hitting the Act 2 wall like 3 weeks ago or so because farming money for gear on the AH wasn't what Diablo was supposed to be about (to me). Hopefully I can find an OK farming setup. Is it safer to farm in pub games now?

anyone expected evasive fire to get nerfed in a patch?? the fact that it can shoot through waller walls, objects, and corners is just flat out broken.

It's awesome! Keep it quiet :p

Stuff has to be on the screen though - it doesn't track stuff offscreen. Part of being hitscan. I'm not sure how'd they'd nerf it without making it completely useless though.

And I'm really eagerly awaiting the response on the destructible object item mega nerf. Wasn't announced before today, and it's just a huge unfun band-aid.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I thought 60's always did anyway? 59's are the ones that only sometimes give you inferno mats.

Nope. Item level 61+ always gives inferno mats from my testing. Item level 60 gives inferno mats sometimes, hell mats more often.

Therefore "level 60" items was never a guarantee of anything (and level 60 items obtained from butcher runs regularly gave hell mats), which is why this is much more useful for seeing what to salvage vs vendor.

RDreamer

It was definitely not intended and a bug. Surprised they didn't fix it earlier.

Damn. How much you get that for?

I myself sniped a decent pair of gloves for vendor price or just above that during downtime that are worth at least around 250k. I think my bids on this one item where the AH fucked up though have lost me anywhere from 200k-500k gold to the ether unless it reappears in my completed tab later. I'll have to report it as a bug if money doesn't come through eventually, but I can't test it again unless I tried it on hardcore without risking more gold.

And that Stormshield posted up in the page is just crazy. Easily $250 or close to it, at least. Millions of gold otherwise.

I paid a bit less than 2 mil for it. It was something like 1.8 I think? It had a HUGE max buyout, but the auction was set to go off today at like 11 or something. So I bid. Then someone else outbid me, but I guess he must have gone to sleep or something then, because I outbid him after. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait until you get better gear.

I haven't actually played yet. I'm just commenting on what people are saying here.

My gear is decent right now, but I imagine if it got a lot better I wouldn't die nearly as much, so it all works out.

The repair cost change is kind of problematic because even players in Act I and Act 2 Inferno still can rack up some pretty impressive repair bills. The main point of it was to provide a disincentive for pure, cheaply constructed ranged DPS glass cannon builds death zerging their way through Act 3 for the best loot instead of actually naturally progressing their characters through the game.

Unfortunately there's no good way to discriminate on the character sheet/gear between people playing the game the way that Blizzard wants it to be played and those essentially bypassing their content gates.

If you're dying a lot in Act II, and especially Act I, you probably don't have the gear or the right skill loadout to be progressing.

Zyzyxxz

Well luckily my build wasn't heavily dependent on IAS so I'm fine.

I feel the difficulty is generally good. Still not easy but I did beat Zulta Kulle so it's not impossible as it was before, elite mobs are hard but at least playing with a friend now isn't a punishment and actually feels like help.

Hinting at it would have been fine, there was no need for the tone of his tweet.
He comes across of a bit of a douche bag in the tweets, but I think everyone blew it out of proportion. You can tell Bashiok clearly dislikes them though, probably for trying to spread false rumours about the gold duping on the AH.

windz

It's exaggerated. He hinted that they weren't the first HC inferno clear, when they clearly were. And then he apologised the next day.

The way he worded his post made him come across as an ass, though. He didn't even say congratulations or give any kind of praise for them accomplishing what they did.

Here's the twitter comment in question:

"People think that was the first HC Inferno clear? Weird. Webcams r 2 legit 2 quit. hay HAY"

Yep, he's a dick. (This isn't new news, he's the blizzard troll after all)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
And I'm really eagerly awaiting the response on the destructible object item mega nerf. Wasn't announced before today, and it's just a huge unfun band-aid.
"You can only get items by getting 5 NV stacks and running through acts!"

I agree, playing the game 1-60 is going to be unfun as hell because there's no sense of reward of finding stuff anymore. I know it will only drop shit items.

I'd like a solution where player in a game for 1hr+ or something can find the good things, or something like that so you don't have people doing exploit/mf runs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bashiok apologized on Twitter.

His petty snarky bullshit last night really lowered my opinion of him. I have a general disdain for community managers, but his "be a dick while beating around the bush" routine last night to two of the most hardcore Diablo III players out there was really out of line, especially considering his role at Blizzard.

And then it turns out he was wrong! What a worthless fucking cocksucker.

I'm still at 50k dps on my DH but DAMN that AS nerf hurt my strategy, which basically amounts to spamming nether tentacles. They come out so slow now it's not really viable at 1.48 APS. Takes so much longer to whittle elites down now.

If you're dying a lot in Act II, and especially Act I, you probably don't have the gear or the right skill loadout to be progressing.

Agreed completely, and the death penalty increase really is just preventing these players from some very unfun and frustrating times in the later acts.

However, there's no need to smash a undergeared 60 trying to grind up some gear on the early part of Act I inferno with a huge repair bill. I don't think that's what they were intending, given that (honestly) act I Inferno is only slightly harder than Act IV Hell.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Definitely feeling the new repair cost. But I really like actually having a reason to fear dying. It might not be perfectly balanced in relation to everything else yet, but I like the change.

TL;DR stop fucking the game up and change back the repair cost or increase the item sale cost and increase gold drop or i am done.

I am sure they'll relent when they hear smr00 is going to quit playing their game.

Conceptor

Looks like it's time to invest in some crit %/crit dmg items, lost 28k dps.

I'm actually looking forward to doing Butcher runs now though.

TommyT

This will be the tough point for me. I'm going to have to find something that's not poo. But I'm learning that Inferno requires survivability more than crazy DPS. And did NT get nerfed bad or something?

Really you might not need a shield unless you just need that list bit of +all resists. You can get a quiver with high +vit and +% life. Sure you might just get 30 dex, but like I said you can swap that stuff out once you can start surviving better.

I'd love this to work. I played a trapsin in D2 and have been trying since release to come up with a good trap DH build. Stampede is definitely a point I've been missing in my build - I never really thought to use it.

Regarding gear, are there good "farm" spots available (for all acts really)? Is it pretty much just Act boss farming with 5 stacks? I quit after hitting the Act 2 wall like 3 weeks ago or so because farming money for gear on the AH wasn't what Diablo was supposed to be about (to me). Hopefully I can find an OK farming setup. Is it safer to farm in pub games now?

Well now a 5 NV stack will guarantee a rare from an elite/champion. So there's more incentive to farming them. Go to the Cemetery of the Forsaken and get a couple of stacks there then proceed to Warden. Keep your stacks until Butcher, then just go to wherever and look for other elite packs and farm them.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

just last night I saw very similar bows to mine going for like 500k ish. ( a week or two ago they were like 750k ( what i paid). a worthwile shield is harder to come by. though.

NT used to be able to hit more than once per shot on an enemy. its been reduced to only once now.

as for Rain of Arrows?/Stampede. its good for solo I found, but my co-op friends got pissed when I used it cause it would mess their attacks up...

Shouta

So, how much was inferno damage nerfed? Especially act 2.

It's very reasonable now as opposed to ridiculous. I have 700 Resist and I can do Act 3 much easier than before but it's not to the point that it's super easy. damage is still high and elite affixes are still dangerous, just not insta-gib.

Nope. Item level 61+ always gives inferno mats from my testing. Item level 60 gives inferno mats sometimes, hell mats more often.

Therefore "level 60" items was never a guarantee of anything, which is why this is much more useful.

Ah ok. I usually end up salvaging a bunch of 59/60 items at the same time so I guess I never noticed.

"You can only get items by getting 5 NV stacks and running through acts!"

I agree, playing the game 1-60 is going to be unfun as hell because there's no sense of reward of finding stuff anymore. I know it will only drop shit items.

I'd like a solution where player in a game for 1hr+ or something can find the good things, or something like that so you don't have people doing exploit/mf runs.

I mean, it's obviously to combat botters, but there has to be a better way that doesn't shit up a good portion of the fun of finding loot.

Oh and I don't think I mentioned, but I only lost about 3k DPS this patch. Yay me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom