• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I was doing this all yesterday, I don't believe this one, unless the mob has to be so far off screen that they stop chasing you.... I had no problem kiting stuff at 100 yards yesterday.

I didn't notice this either. Did catch the faster reset though.

scy

I knew this was coming too. People were initially complaining about the chance for the ilvl 61-63 items. There was a legitimate problem there, but I always knew that even when that was fixed, alot of people would quickly swap from "Nothing can, and nothing does drop for me!" to "I have bundles of items, but they aren't itemized the way I want them to be!".

This is basically what I've been saying here and to others for awhile :x Nobody was complaining about the actual problem they had (not getting the right loot they want in the timeframe they wanted). I'm really not surprised at all that there's a new flavor of the month complaint in regards to loot.

whats wrong with zombie bears now?
The bears used to spawn behind you are charge forward for about (5?) yards

Now, they get one to many special effects upon cast:
- they don't spawn
- they can't run forward and instead, run in place (stuck in terrain?)
- they spawn around you (usually in tight hallways) in a triangle formation and run towards you

Cipherr

Why shouldn't people be punished for dying? It's not really dying without any kind of consequence. Lack of consequence for death has been a problem with this game from day 1.

I have to ask you though, do you think this has been handled well? And I'd like you to answer that as a non core gamer lol. Its easy to say its fine when we are sitting on 40 million gold and have been playing since release. But keep in mind there are probably hundreds of thousands of gamers out there right now who havent even so much as had 2 million all at once in their entire play time.

20k per full repair is a big deal to those people. Im talking about the guys you inspect and see them dual wielding 1H Xbows, both with wildly different DPS, the guys who still clearly dont know NT has been nerfed, the guys who dont read the forums etc. This repair thing is too harsh a penalty.

There needs to be a consequence, but there is more than one way of doing that, the current way is terrible. Just because someone dies to an elite pack, it doesnt mean they arent 'ready to be there'. I can kill the entirety of Act 2 without breaking a sweat, but sometimes a mob can unburrow completely out of nowhere, Vortex me into a just exploding freeze cube that happened to be sitting right on top of a Desecration and Molten patch. I eat the damage from the 2 patches, a total of 6 melee swings from the 3 elites and the freeze damage and die before I can get out.

That doesnt mean I shouldnt be farming there, it just means I got a bad roll. Folks shouldnt be going broke because they run into an affix combo that counters their current 6 skillset (which blizzard actively pushes the player NOT to swap via the NV mechanic).

Edit: If they want to shove 20k+ repair bills at the playerbase, its probably time to drastically raise the sell cost of items, and to finally make the white items vendor for decent gold. Give the players something to offset it. Let them trade time, (picking up all those damn whites and going back to town with full bags 50 times a run) for balance on their repairs.

And for anyone not using just their Primary skills (e.g., Bash/Cleave/Frenzy for a Barb), Life on Hit does even less than Life Steal%.
Wait, could you explain that please?

Found this farming act 2, a nice upgrade over my current 730dps fist with socket.

fiststand.png
Good on you, those are some fun stats.

masud

Banned
What I mean is that the emphasis is more on rewards for staying alive rather than punishments for death. A kind of positive reinforcement. Death will still have costs and consequences associated with it. If players were risking losing one valor stack on death, for example, that might make them think twice about fragile builds.

Losing a stack for dying would suck so much. I'd much rather lose money.

Cipherr

Losing a stack for dying would suck so much. I'd much rather lose money.

Maybe make a pack drop one extra item if its killed without anyone in the group dying? Make it roll a random blue, or a gem or a low percent chance for a rare if they succeed? Or maybe make the pack drop double gold or something? I dunno, something though, there has to be a better way.

scy

I have to ask you though, do you think this has been handled well? And I'd like you to answer that as a non core gamer lol. Its easy to say its fine when we are sitting on 40 million gold and have been playing since release. But keep in mind there are probably hundreds of thousands of gamers out there right now who havent even so much as had 2 million all at once in their entire play time.

Maybe a compromise would have been to slightly raise repair costs but then raise the durability penalty per death? Tie it to the rez timer; 3s rez is the normal 10% but get to the 8s and it's 20%, then 30% and up to 50% loss at the 30s timer. You can eat a normal death or two but zerging deaths would have made you hit repairs ore frequently.

But, personally, I find the current implementation more-or-less fine. 25k-30k+ repair bills aren't that common, despite what everyone says, until you have full Inferno gear (e.g., ilvl 61+). Those non-core gamers don't see the more expensive repairs until ilvl 51+ and they're not extremely bad until spending some time in Inferno. It's perhaps not the best solution but it's better than other alternatives (losing NV per death that I've seen suggested, for instance).

Neki

Blizzard is really raising the costs associated with actual farming elite mobs, not sure why. Costs me 60k a day to buy 100 health pots, and for 3-4 full repairs on a bad day, it costs 250k. That's 300k in sunk costs just to farm mobs. I guess I should just get some gold fire gear and save me some money doing Act 1 cellar.

scy

Wait, could you explain that please?

Every skill in the game (and certain runes as well) have a different Life on Hit scaling modifier on them. For Barbs, Whirlwind is 13% Life on Hit (e.g., 300 LoH Weapon becomes 39), Revenge/Overpower/Furious Charge is 33%, Earthquake is ~17%, etc. More appropriately, they're multipliers that make "Life per Hit" for area-of-effect skills to be "Life per Skill Use." For example, each use of Whirlwind should be about 300 Life gained (~7.7 hits per Whirlwind use).

Life Steal% has absolutely no scaling outside of the per difficulty one.

Blizzard is really raising the costs associated with actual farming elite mobs, not sure why. Costs me 600k a day to buy 100 health pots, and for 3-4 full repairs on a bad day, it costs 200k. That's 800k in sunk costs just to farm mobs. I guess I should just get some gold fire gear and save me some money doing Act 1 cellar.

Erm, aren't 100 Mythic Pots only around 60k for 100? 30k if you're buying them from the Act 1 Alchemist vendor?

rCIZZLE

This is basically what I've been saying here and to others for awhile :x Nobody was complaining about the actual problem they had (not getting the right loot they want in the timeframe they wanted). I'm really not surprised at all that there's a new flavor of the month complaint in regards to loot.

All they had to do was lower the dps gap between ilvl60 and the above classes. The rest of the equipment at that level spawned with high enough stats that you could reasonably be expected to complete inferno. People just get salty when they see the 1/100 good items being posted on the forums and want Blizzard to alter their drops so they can join the club.

Cipherr

But, personally, I find the current implementation more-or-less fine. 25k-30k+ repair bills aren't that common, despite what everyone says, until you have full Inferno gear (e.g., ilvl 61+). Those non-core gamers don't see the more expensive repairs until ilvl 51+ and they're not extremely bad until spending some time in Inferno.

The thing is though, from what I recall when the game launched, when I was in those lower level items I was also pretty broke.

I mean, sure they dont have the huge repair bills until they are rocking 61+. But they arent rolling in gold before they are in 61+ items either. The money doesnt come until you are in inferno and auctioning the drops you are getting there. Prior to that players dont really have a lot of gold, so I think it might average out, and not really in their favor.

Maybe a compromise would have been to slightly raise repair costs but then raise the durability penalty per death? Tie it to the rez timer; 3s rez is the normal 10% but get to the 8s and it's 20%, then 30% and up to 50% loss at the 30s timer. You can eat a normal death or two but zerging deaths would have made you hit repairs ore frequently.

Now see, that makes sense. Make them trade some time, but you dont ever really put them in a situation where they are prohibited from actually trying

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's perhaps not the best solution but it's better than other alternatives (losing NV per death that I've seen suggested, for instance).

That was just the basic idea. If I were to implement this in the game, it wouldn't be exactly like that. I would probably do something like: if you complete a quest you are allowed an additional stack of valor for your maximum number of valor stacks, up to 10 stacks, and it can transfer between acts. Dying, however, reduces your stack count by 1, but it can never go below 5, so it wouldn't be any different than it is now, except that if you don't die, and you actually progress through the story, you can potentially get twice the MF that you can get now.

LordCanti

2500k gold per death is stupidly excessive, and I have more than enough gold to eat that cost again..and again...pretty much forever.

Anustart

Nothing like waking up to see a junk ring you threw up on the rmah sold for a cool $10.

In other news, I'm saddened by the state of my zombie bears :(

Neki

Every skill in the game (and certain runes as well) have a different Life on Hit scaling modifier on them. For Barbs, Whirlwind is 13% Life on Hit (e.g., 300 LoH Weapon becomes 39), Revenge/Overpower/Furious Charge is 33%, Earthquake is ~17%, etc. More appropriately, they're multipliers that make "Life per Hit" for area-of-effect skills to be "Life per Skill Use." For example, each use of Whirlwind should be about 300 Life gained (~7.7 hits per Whirlwind use).

Erm, aren't 100 Mythic Pots only around 60k for 100? 30k if you're buying them from the Act 1 Alchemist vendor?

Yeah, sorry thought it was 600k for some reason. That was a misclick. I guess I should get some more sleep LOL

scy

The thing is though, from what I recall when the game launched, when I was in those lower level items I was also pretty broke.

ilvl 51+ is around an 8k-10k full repair bill. You might need to look into something if you're dying 10 times between room clears in Hell. Everything below ilvl 51 has their old repair costs.

Now see, that makes sense. Make them trade some time, but you dont ever really put them in a situation where they are prohibited from actually trying

The thing is, people would probably still zerg the deaths even with the more frequent repairs (though, enemies would regen faster so perhaps not really).

I mean, what's next? Get a 30s rez timer and the game suggests you go back an Act? :x

DSmalls84

And for anyone not using just their Primary skills (e.g., Bash/Cleave/Frenzy for a Barb), Life on Hit does even less than Life Steal%.

Well that kind of sucks that I overpayed, but live and learn I guess. On a positive note I got a 2.3k damage increase and 6k life increase.

20k per full repair is a big deal to those people. Im talking about the guys you inspect and see them dual wielding 1H Xbows, both with wildly different DPS, the guys who still clearly dont know NT has been nerfed, the guys who dont read the forums etc. This repair thing is too harsh a penalty.

There needs to be a consequence, but there is more than one way of doing that, the current way is terrible. Just because someone dies to an elite pack, it doesnt mean they arent 'ready to be there'. I can kill the entirety of Act 2 without breaking a sweat, but sometimes a mob can unburrow completely out of nowhere, Vortex me into a just exploding freeze cube that happened to be sitting right on top of a Desecration and Molten patch. I eat the damage from the 2 patches, a total of 6 melee swings from the 3 elites and the freeze damage and die before I can get out.

That doesnt mean I shouldnt be farming there, it just means I got a bad roll. Folks shouldnt be going broke because they run into an affix combo that counters their current 6 skillset (which blizzard actively pushes the player NOT to swap via the NV mechanic).

I'm one of those people, so I agree. Between work/school/3 kids and a wife, I just haven't had time to be hardcore. I have never had a million gold at once let alone 2mil. I get on a couple of hours a night max.

I have been playing since launch and only dinged 60 on my first character like 3 or 4 days ago.

Now the repair costs have kicked me out of a part of the game that I could kind of fudge through. I was enjoying the intensity of the fights in inferno even if I died 10 times to a pack of elites. I was putting the work in to try and get better gear to go on to act2, but now it is not viable for me to even do act one.

Now I'm back in hell where I just decimate everything. Hell is too easy, inferno is too expensive.

Inferno was the end game and that is how it was pushed. That is where all the good stuff drops. They have made that a very niche part of the game.

scy

That was just the basic idea. If I were to implement this in the game, it wouldn't be exactly like that. I would probably do something like: if you complete a quest you are allowed an additional stack of valor for your maximum number of valor stacks, up to 10 stacks, and it can transfer between acts. Dying, however, reduces your stack count by 1, but it can never go below 5, so it wouldn't be any different than it is now, except that if you don't die, and you actually progress through the story, you can potentially get twice the MF that you can get now.

If we tweak NV then, yeah, maybe it'll work. But as the system stands right now, losing NV per death means lowering overall loot drops (in terms of quality and quantity) which is a far worse punishment than ~1k per death (~3k in ilvl 63).

Hell, the extra item drop per Champ almost makes up for the repair bill cost per death anyway if it's one of the slots that vendors decently. I've probably made more gold since the change just since I get an additional ~1k-ish item to vendor (and/or more things to salvage for the useful components).

DSmalls84

Well this makes me feel a little better, at least If I am reading it right lol.

scy

Well that kind of sucks that I overpayed, but live and learn I guess. On a positive note I got a 2.3k damage increase and 6k life increase.

2M is a bit more than I'd personally pay for an ~850-ish DPS Weapon but it at least had STR/VIT. It's not awful, though. I put ~4M onto a 950 DPS Weapon not long ago.

Well this makes me feel a little better, at least If I am reading it right lol.

Basically, Life on Hit scales based on the skill you're using it with. It's great when you're just spamming primary skills like Bash (100% for most runes, down to 33% for Onslaught/Pulverize), Cleave (50% or 66.7%, depending on runes), or Frenzy (75% across the board). And, since most Barbs weren't actually using offensive skills, this was perfectly fine. It didn't matter that basically everything they could spend Fury on meant they got almost no return on Life on Hit :x

Life Steal% scales better with damage dealt and is better as you use more and more attacks that deal area of effect damage.

GJS

Definitely seems like ilvl63 drops are rarer in acts 3-4 than before the patch, which is incredibly stupid

For every person that thinks that, there is another who has ilvl 3 items raining on them.

Even in act 2 I'm getting boat loads of ilvl 63 items.

LordCanti

Definitely seems like ilvl63 drops are rarer in acts 3-4 than before the patch, which is incredibly stupid

Makes sense to me. More drops from the lower levels, but fewer from the higher levels to keep an overflow of top tier items off the RMAH.

Then again, I'm not certain that they've actually done that, since no one can prove it, and they didn't claim to have.

syllogism

For every person that thinks that, there is another who has ilvl 3 items raining on them.

Even in act 2 I'm getting boat loads of ilvl 63 items.
I've been farming act 3-4 since week 1 so I've a pretty good feeling about the drop rates. When they announced that it would be 8% after the patch I noted that it already seemed to be that, but perhaps it was actually higher.

Neki

Going to have to agree with the lowered drop i63 rates. I use to get 3-4 iL63 weapons a day, I've gotten two over the past two days. I've been farming Siegebreaker/Azmodan for 2 weeks and it's never been this bad.

GJS

We're talking about act 3, not act 2.

No fucking shit.

I'm just saying that even if you are in act 1 or act 2 now, you can have people getting more ilvl63 drops then other people get in act 3/4.

With the way the loot system works you are more likely to see ilvl50-60 items become magic and rares because they drop at a higher percentage, and I bet most of you never even look to see how many of the white items that dropped were level 63s which didn't roll magic or rare.

DSmalls84

I could definitely tell the difference in Act 3 difficulty. I was at the Raise the Catapults quest and barely made it into the combat zone before getting killed. After the patch I was able to survive in the goblin mobs and take down the unique enemy near the beginning. I wouldn't say it was Easy or Hard and seemed like a much better middle ground.

Edit: I was also able to run with Wrath of the Berserker which was great for burst damage on champions. Before I had to alternate between Leap/Ignore Pain for the massive armor buffs.

Neki

No fucking shit.

I'm just saying that even if you are in act 1 or act 2 now, you can have people getting more ilvl63 drops then other people get in act 3/4.

With the way the loot system works you are more likely to see ilvl50-60 items become magic and rares because they drop at a higher percentage, and I bet most of you never even look to see how many of the white items that dropped were level 63s which didn't roll magic or rare.

I kill every elite mob with 311% MF with 5 stacks. I think I'll see my fair share of rares.

Tom Penny

How do people not make money on ah? I dont have a ton of money but i just buy stuff and re flip it in ah. You should know prices when you search for your own gear. If you see stuff way under priced buy it and flip it.

scy

No fucking shit.

Perception is a bitch, really.

I could've sworn that they said that Act 3/Act 4 was unchanged but I just went through the AMAA and didn't see anything. So I guess I can't really comment since I haven't sat down and tried Act 3 yet. But, I've gotten quite a few ilvl 63s in a single Act 1 clear so eh... doesn't seem so bad to me.

Thanks for a lengthy description, that is nice of you. Will test them out .

I'm one of those people, so I agree. Between work/school/3 kids and a wife, I just haven't had time to be hardcore. I have never had a million gold at once let alone 2mil. I get on a couple of hours a night max.

I have been playing since launch and only dinged 60 on my first character like 3 or 4 days ago.

Now the repair costs have kicked me out of a part of the game that I could kind of fudge through. I was enjoying the intensity of the fights in inferno even if I died 10 times to a pack of elites. I was putting the work in to try and get better gear to go on to act2, but now it is not viable for me to even do act one.

Now I'm back in hell where I just decimate everything. Hell is too easy, inferno is too expensive.

Inferno was the end game and that is how it was pushed. That is where all the good stuff drops. They have made that a very niche part of the game.

I'm in the same boat, just leveled my barb to 60 last week. I slaughter everything in Hell easily and can't afford to play in Inferno. My gear isn't good enough yet for Inferno but, I was working on it as I had time (a couple hours a night usually). I'm kind of stuck at a place where I'm not having any fun because poor game design decisions won't let me.

FWIW I've never sniffed one million gold in my stash yet either. I think my entire total is almost 2 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom