• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
After the patch I must say that I'm done with D3. My barb got nerfed via IAS, the repair costs exploded and I still can't find better items. I guess some guys here a more masochistic than me.

I'd love for you to donate your items and gold to me. I wish the best most stress free life for you post D3 and am jealous I can't do what you are doing.

Totakeke

Reflect damage is not that bad. Just buy a secondary weapon with a socket + life on hit/or lifeleech thats like 200-300 lower DPS (or more if u have the money) than your main weapon. Equip it when u spot reflect damage mobs.

They're very risky for glass cannons even with LOH. One mistake where your elemental arrow hits more than you thought it would or you didn't SS in time and you're dead and they're back at full health! It's not a problem of killing them, I can lower my dps easily, it's just really annoying. ;p

It's not a new mechanic, they just fixed it, they were always supposed to heal.

There is no way I can realistically take a pack with arcane sentry + shielding + waller in such a small space. I can take 7 ticks of sentry but that isn't enough with shielding in the mix. Add to that, shielded enemies have enormous hit boxes so getting away from them when they put their shield up can be a huge pain in the ass and the shields.

Up until now one death or maybe two might have been enough to take down something like that. I probably could have done it on the if I had a second wind because 2 of the 4 were almost dead.

I'm just saying, it's kind of ridiculous. The two solutions are either roll the elite dice again on a reload or get gear orders of magnitudes better than what I've got equipped.

I mean, come on.

scy

I feel like I'm the only Demon Hunter on the planet that didn't get hosed over by the 1.0.3 patch. Although this is primarily due to the fact that I was only in the low 40s level-wise once it hit and was not living and dying through the abuse of a broken Nether Tentacles skill.

Instead my DPS shot up from 4K to 10K over the span of a few hours. For some reason the i63 hand crossbow with a 190+ DEX, no IAS dependence and L43 reduced level requirement failed to sell on both the RMAH and Gold Auction houses... so I decided to just keep the darn thing and use it. Swapped out the dual crossbows I had been using previously for about 250K in the auction house and picked up a decent quiver.

Now I'm destroying everything in Act 2 Nightmare with a DPS most people don't wind up with until Inferno.

Reduced Level Requirement still doesn't search quite right, I believe :/ Unfortunately as it really does make leveling so simple!

Except you realize you're talking to the guy who was like gloom is so awesome.

To be fair, the chances of that were pretty low :( The list was like ... two other DHs. I thought Ultimoo was still running a kite heavier build.

Besides, it's kind of a joke. Cramped quarters just suck for DHs in general. Gloom build or not. And the non-bugged NT hurts a lot for the build, really. 65% DR and 20% Life Steal% is good but not alone ridiculous.

Also, Butcher got buffed. For the last 1/4 of his health, the ENTIRE room was full of fire. There was literally nowhere to stand. It was stupid.

That's his Enrage. He's had it for awhile.

But you're not relying on Evasion just like you're not relying on Block. You're relying on Armor/Resistances primarily and then choosing better Evasion or Evasion with Block for your extra on top. Since you can break 60%+ Evasion, I'd rather go that route with better Spirit Generation and better attack speed (and better returns on Life on Hit) from Dual Wielding. You'll lose Armor/Resists, yes, so it's something to keep in mind before making the swap.

I'm liking the dual wield evasion build honestly. I've got my resistances up to 603 and buffed armor up to 4.8K right now. My DPS buffed with breath of heaven is 12.5K. LPS about 450+ and LOH about 1100. Cruising through act II now.

I got my APS back up to 2.25 as well.

This brings something up actually. Are you monks still stacking IAS? How are you generating spirit fast enough if you're not? I'm thinking I could potentially get my APS up to 2.5+ still.

Totakeke

Man, Cydea's spiders are now like way faster and are all over the place. I guess I could get my halfway defence gear and change my skills to lose my NV... or I can find more elites that don't annoy me... seems like an easy choice!

RDreamer

Hm. Well, you may still need your Shield for the Armor/Resists then. It's just not really about the Block Chance. I mean, yes, it's nice to have the Block but it's also not going to be the part of the Shield that's doing all the work on keeping you alive.

I dunno, I think the block is helping quite a bit. 20% chance to take off about 3000 damage is pretty good. That's 10% of my life right there. I know the shield is probably better for the armor/resists though rather than block.

I'm wondering, though, if grabbing a comparable weapon with 250+ dex and like 150 fit would be better. I can get that for kind of cheap since people want life on hit, and my other weapon has enough to compensate for both.

I'm liking the dual wield evasion build honestly. I've got my resistances up to 603 and buffed armor up to 4.8K right now. My DPS buffed with breath of heaven is 12.5K. LPS about 450+ and LOH about 1100.

I got my APS back up to 2.25 as well.

This brings something up actually. Are you monks still stacking IAS? How are you generating spirit fast enough if you're not? I'm thinking I could potentially get my APS up to 2.5+ still.

I personally wasn't stacking ias, really. I run dual generators, and everything else I use doesn't use a ton of spirit, so never needed a ton of spirit generation. I can usually do breath of heaven, blinding flash, serenity, or my mantra as much as I want. A lot of the time I can get that initial double mantra burst going throughout most of a fight.

Cipherr

I laughed SO hard at this. A+

And yeah, last night we had Shielding Reflect Jailer Mortar followed by Frozen Reflect Mortar Molten (that's the one where they leave a trail, right? It was that one). I did 3 Butcher runs, and all of the runs had a majority of reflect packs. Bad luck or bad design decision on Blizzard?

Also, Butcher got buffed. For the last 1/4 of his health, the ENTIRE room was full of fire. There was literally nowhere to stand. It was stupid.

Thats just his enrage timer going off. With the IAS nerf I noticed we hit a few more enrage timers than normal when I was playing my barb this morning. I guess that nerf hurt the 3 ranged hard. I didnt notice on my DH because I let go of all my IAS before the patch and replaced it with crit and crit damage.

But fuuuuuck. Tanking sucks right now, all the ranged guys dps is terrible. I got tired of rezzing them on my butcher run. I just stood in the enrage fire and killed him slowly as hell with my terrible dps.

Neki

Reduced Level Requirement still doesn't search quite right, I believe :/ Unfortunately as it really does make leveling so simple!

To be fair, the chances of that were pretty low :( The list was like ... two other DHs. I thought Ultimoo was still running a kite heavier build.

Besides, it's kind of a joke. Cramped quarters just suck for DHs in general. Gloom build or not. And the non-bugged NT hurts a lot for the build, really. 65% DR and 20% Life Steal% is good but not alone ridiculous.

That's his Enrage. He's had it for awhile.

Funny thing is the other gloom DH I played with quit (swiftlame) so now I'm the only one left.

A dying breed of demon hunters.

TommyT

Is no one running any type of life on hit or life leech items, using potions, a merc that heals, or what? Reflect damage isn't THAT bad.

However, I will say that running with 4 people we ran into some ridiculous affix combos last night.

Funny thing is the other gloom DH I played with quit (swiftlame) so now I'm the only one left.

Aww swiftlame quit? Wasn't making enough charging for his boss kills? :lol I kid I kid. What ever happened to Opiates DH?

10dollas

Banned
They're very risky for glass cannons even with LOH. One mistake where your elemental arrow hits more than you thought it would or you didn't SS in time and you're dead and they're back at full health! It's not a problem of killing them, I can lower my dps easily, it's just really annoying. ;p

I can't speak for demon hunters. But as a mostly glass cannon wizard I have no problem with reflect damage mobs given Energy Armor+ diamond skin+ good enough resists/armor+ a life on hit secondary weapon I switch in. When I fight them, its almost as if they don't have the reflect damage affix. But then again maybe demon hunters get royally fucked by reflect mobs.

I laughed SO hard at this. A+

And yeah, last night we had Shielding Reflect Jailer Mortar followed by Frozen Reflect Mortar Molten (that's the one where they leave a trail, right? It was that one). I did 3 Butcher runs, and all of the runs had a majority of reflect packs. Bad luck or bad design decision on Blizzard?

I was able to stand in his fire and tank him with my monk. I was not able to do this before the patch.

RDreamer

Is there a freaking bug with the monster healing? I was testing out dual wielding vs not, and I was fighting an elite. I got him to about 20% health and died. I respawned literally on top of him, so I hit the waypoint, right clicked my shield, and went back, all within literally a second, and he was full health again. WTF?

However, I will say that running with 4 people we ran into some ridiculous affix combos last night.

I swear they buffed those combos, especially to fuck with DHs, too. There were so many reflect damage elites last night.

Thats just his enrage timer going off. With the IAS nerf I noticed we hit a few more enrage timers than normal when I was playing my barb this morning. I guess that nerf hurt the 3 ranged hard. I didnt notice on my DH because I let go of all my IAS before the patch and replaced it with crit and crit damage.

But fuuuuuck. Tanking sucks right now, all the ranged guys dps is terrible. I got tired of rezzing them on my butcher run. I just stood in the enrage fire and killed him slowly as hell with my terrible dps.

I think in every public game I played in Act 3 we hit enrage timers with every single elite mob.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

this was happening to me a week before the patch, but still it seems like hes hot-buffed.

when the whole room goes up in flames. two times ina row. what cna you do?! especialyl when there isnt a potion that refils you 100%

also - eff reflect mobs. I die more from my own dmg reflected back than the enemies hits... strategy is pretty much, shoot until low on health, pot, shoot until low, preparation, shoot, run around till pot or prep cd is done. repeat.

Dahbomb

Cydaea and Ghom are buffed considerably.

Azmodan is still ass easy. Reflect Damage on Siegebreaker basically confirms that they are trying to say "Glass cannon builds for DH are the wrong way to play the game".

Takuan

So, I was going to gold farm in A3 Hell using the guide linked (thank you to that GAFer), then realized I had never gone through A3 in that difficulty; somehow skipped it and went right to Diablo. Farmed the goblin a bit instead. There's an improvement, for sure - I made something like 1.5 million on the AH, and picked up some useful equipment for alts. My survivability is still ass, however (low armor, probably 25K Life, but resists > 350).

Question for DHs: what's a good skill loadout for a dual wielding build? I bought 2 1-handers just shy of 900 DPS last night on the AH just to mess around, and my DPS went way the heck down since I lost out on ~100% crit damage. I'm wondering if 2H is strictly better, or if I need to switch up my skills/runs to optimize damage output for dual-wielding. Currently using all the +damage/+crit passives, Hungering Arrow primary, Nether Tentacruels secondary.

On a side note, I can't imagine anyone suffering the SHIT attack speed for crossbows. Jesus hell, as if they weren't slow enough already.

scy

I dunno, I think the block is helping quite a bit. 20% chance to take off about 3000 damage is pretty good. That's 10% of my life right there. I know the shield is probably better for the armor/resists though rather than block.

I'm wondering, though, if grabbing a comparable weapon with 250+ dex and like 150 fit would be better. I can get that for kind of cheap since people want life on hit, and my other weapon has enough to compensate for both.

20% for 3.2k vs +15% for no damage from Guardian's Path. The latter scales with your current Evasion and your skills and the former doesn't really. You'll also tend to have lower total mitigation than a Barbarian so it's -3.2k on average from a hit rather than a chance to Block and not take any damage that they get.

Due to that, it's a bit of a different story due to Monk's being able to reach a high enough Evasion that it's ultimately worth more to raise the evasion chance than to get the Block; you're going towards the same goal (chance to not take damage) but through different routes.

It also helps that Monk scales a bit better with Life on Hit and Attack Speed and DWing allows them to reach that goal as well as raising their Evasion.

Carm

Anyone elses game just stop a few minutes ago? Mobs are not responding, can't hit anything but not disconnected.

Edit: Now it kicks me, 5 nv down the drain. It won't let me back in a game either.

Totakeke

Hahah, I used like 20-30 pots killing 3 packs of reflect damage elites (had to restart due to mistakes a couple times). My IAS is like too low for Ball Lightning, I can only like shoot once to SS, if I shoot two I pretty much lose half to all of my life.

I can't speak for demon hunters. But as a mostly glass cannon wizard I have no problem with reflect damage mobs given Energy Armor+ diamond skin+ good enough resists/armor+ a life on hit secondary weapon I switch in. When I fight them, its almost as if they don't have the reflect damage affix. But then again maybe demon hunters get royally fucked by reflect mobs.

Yup, all those nice damage mitigation skills? There's only one skill in whole DH's arsenal and if you do use that, you need a different set of gear... or much better gear.

TommyT

I swear they buffed those combos, especially to fuck with DHs, too. There were so many reflect damage elites last night.

Don't remember if we ran into more reflect damage or not, or if I did solo - seems I always get some. Either way, that affix doesn't bother me.

UberTag

My lord... the repair costs are borderline game-breaking.
Clearly your options are to:

A) Grind older acts where you don't run the risk of dying so easily (although you'll still eat repair expenses just for getting hit).
B) Invest in gold find/ignore durability gear.
C) Sell off all your gear on the Auction House and start clean with a different character.
D) Sell off all your gear on the Auction House and call it quits on Diablo III.

It searches fine for me but then it requires extensive fine-tuning of the query drop-downs to filter them out instead of just showing up as an eligible piece of gear for your character.

rCIZZLE

I'd love to know what gear everyone is picking up so cheap. To add Vit and All resist to the Damage stats that I have we are talking over 10 million per slot.

I just searched for things I needed between MF games or every hour or so playing. I found my bow for 145k on the AH before the IAS nerf. Even then it was good, now it's pretty awesome.

bows.png

Btw I'm not sure what post you think I was responding to. If you were the one posting the tank barb or some other endgame character this advice likely won't work. Obviously going from great gear to endgame is a bigger leap and much harder to get a steal. Most of the time steals happen when you search a specific set of stats you desire, not an obviously beast item with 6 stats that are all among the best.

Yeah, but I want to play the game instead of just buying things.

Then MF in late hell if you're having trouble. You can get up to ilvl62 in hell... outside of your wep, you can basically get gfg gear before you even hit inferno.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love all the conflicting reports after a patch:

"My FPS tanked! Game runs like shit!"
"Everything's so much smoother now!"

"I can't kill anything as X class! Fuck you Blizzard!"
"I can breeze through content I couldn't touch earlier! Awesome patch, Blizzard!"

"I get nothing but garbage! Fuck this game!"
"Amazing drops for me across the board after the patch!"

Neki

So, I was going to gold farm in A3 Hell using the guide linked (thank you to that GAFer), then realized I had never gone through A3 in that difficulty; somehow skipped it and went right to Diablo. Farmed the goblin a bit instead. There's an improvement, for sure - I made something like 1.5 million on the AH, and picked up some useful equipment for alts. My survivability is still ass, however (low armor, probably 25K Life, but resists > 350).

Question for DHs: what's a good skill loadout for a dual wielding build? I bought 2 1-handers just shy of 900 DPS last night on the AH just to mess around, and my DPS went way the heck down since I lost out on ~100% crit damage. I'm wondering if 2H is strictly better, or if I need to switch up my skills/runs to optimize damage output for dual-wielding. Currently using all the +damage/+crit passives, Hungering Arrow primary, Nether Tentacruels secondary.

On a side note, I can't imagine anyone suffering the SHIT attack speed for crossbows. Jesus hell, as if they weren't slow enough already.

gkayh.png

Imagine how slow I attack. :p

Tarazet

20% for 3.2k vs +15% for no damage from Guardian's Path. The latter scales with your current Evasion and your skills and the former doesn't really. You'll also tend to have lower total mitigation than a Barbarian so it's -3.2k on average from a hit rather than a chance to Block and not take any damage that they get.

Due to that, it's a bit of a different story due to Monk's being able to reach a high enough Evasion that it's ultimately worth more to raise the evasion chance than to get the Block; you're going towards the same goal (chance to not take damage) but through different routes.

It also helps that Monk scales a bit better with Life on Hit and Attack Speed and DWing allows them to reach that goal as well as raising their Evasion.

From my experience, you can't evade things like arcane lasers, molten pools or plague pools, or at least it's not working properly. You can block the damage.

10dollas

Banned
Yup, all those nice damage mitigation skills? There's only one skill in whole DH's arsenal and if you do use that, you need a different set of gear... or much better gear.

What skill would that be? Is it the shadow power with 65% damage reduction?
Too bad about that severe nerf to NT. Before the NT bug fix, how did Demon hunters fare against reflect damage?

I would like to gear about 60 LPSS from a different weapon and helm. If I can do that, I want to drop Trasendence for Gaudians Path and get that extra 15%. It won't be cheap though.

Neki

What skill would that be? Is it the shadow power with 65% damage reduction?
Too bad about that severe nerf to NT. Before the NT bug fix, how did Demon hunters fare against reflect damage?

NT lifesteal didn't help against reflect damage mobs. NT did so much dps that you could smoke screen or shadow power the hits and kill the mobs before reflect damage ever took it's toll.

My new top 3 annoying affixs:
1) Invinicible Minions
2) Shielding
3) Illusionist

RDreamer

I know it sounds good on paper, but when I tried it it didn't work out as well. But I think I'll pick up a mega dex vit weapon and try that. The other thing is with the ias nerf that makes the dual wielding bonus that much better since you can't get that much with items anymore

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
NT lifesteal didn't help against reflect damage mobs. NT did so much dps that you could smoke screen or shadow power the hits and kill the mobs before reflect damage ever took it's toll.

1) Invinicible Minions
2) Shielding
3) Illusionist

did chance to roll illusionist go up? because last nights runs were chock full of them.

Totakeke

1) Invinicible Minions
2) Shielding
3) Illusionist

Illusionist??

I hope so they are awesome for barbs.

Not only are they one of the easiest, but it just feels the funnest to kill them, because there's so much shit.

The only time I had a problem was with an illusionist desecrator, when you get stuck inside and can't get out of the desecration.

10dollas

Banned

1) Invinicible Minions
2) Shielding
3) Illusionist

I feel u on Invincible minions. The health nerf to them didn't help much in putting them in line with other mobs without. Its just not worth the risk in fighting them with the new gold penalty.

Not only are they one of the easiest, but it just feels the funnest to kill them, because there's so much shit.

The only time I had a problem was with an illusionist desecrator, when you get stuck inside and can't get out of the desecration.

Illusionist molten is a killer for me. Fire everywhere.

scy

:( I know Opiate's still running it and my DH, if I ever get to gearing her, will be doing it as well.

I know it sounds good on paper, but when I tried it it didn't work out as well. But I think I'll pick up a mega dex vit weapon and try that. The other thing is with the ias nerf that makes the dual wielding bonus that much better since you can't get that much with items anymore

Just voicing my experience with it on my Monk :x

SyNapSe

I just saw this @ http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/06/hacker-uses-malware-built-in-chat-to-toy-with-researchers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+%28Ars+Technica+-+All+content%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Malware researchers investigating a Trojan linked in a gaming forum as a how-to video for Diablo III got a surprise when the hacker started chatting with them—through a feature in the malware. Franklin Zhao & Jason Zhou of antivirus company AVG were looking for keylogging code in the malware with a debugger after downloading it to a virtual machine when a chat box popped up. The hacker asked, in Chinese, “What are you doing? Why are you researching my Trojan?”

The malware gave the hacker the ability to monitor the victim’s screen, mouse, and keyboard input. It also provided access to other devices. The hacker apparently was online when the two researchers started poking around his code, and he decided to intervene. “I would like to see your face, but what a pity you don’t have a camera,” he typed to the researchers, as they tried to engage him in conversation. Eventually, he tired of the cat-and-mouse game and remotely shut down their virtual machine.

Definity

I would love to be able to switch between the GAH and the RMAH and keep the same search parameters in so I don't have to enter the info again.

Also- should we start to see the AH prices (gold and real money) prices start to fall a bit since more people have a chance and getting better loot in all acts now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom