• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

Reflect damage is not that bad. Just buy a secondary weapon with a socket + life on hit/or lifeleech thats like 200-300 lower DPS (or whatever ur budget allows) than your main weapon. Equip it when u spot reflect damage mobs.

I laughed SO hard at this. A+

And yeah, last night we had Shielding Reflect Jailer Mortar followed by Frozen Reflect Mortar Molten (that's the one where they leave a trail, right? It was that one). I did 3 Butcher runs, and all of the runs had a majority of reflect packs. Bad luck or bad design decision on Blizzard?

Also, Butcher got buffed. For the last 1/4 of his health, the ENTIRE room was full of fire. There was literally nowhere to stand. It was stupid.
Not sure how many people know but the Fire will not burn you if your all the way at the bottom of the middle block.

Kenaras

20% for 3.2k vs +15% for no damage from Guardian's Path. The latter scales with your current Evasion and your skills and the former doesn't really. You'll also tend to have lower total mitigation than a Barbarian so it's -3.2k on average from a hit rather than a chance to Block and not take any damage that they get.

Due to that, it's a bit of a different story due to Monk's being able to reach a high enough Evasion that it's ultimately worth more to raise the evasion chance than to get the Block; you're going towards the same goal (chance to not take damage) but through different routes.

It also helps that Monk scales a bit better with Life on Hit and Attack Speed and DWing allows them to reach that goal as well as raising their Evasion.

I've been a bit confused about dual wield evasion tanking for a while now; I'm really not seeing the benefit.

1) The 15% from Guardian's Path does not scale with your current dodge; the effective bonus is identical regardless of your current dodge percentage. For that matter, neither does any other dodge skill available. It might scale with other evasion - such as the miss chance from Blinding Flash - depending on how the combat rolls are done.

2) That 15% doesn't come for free. You have to give up another solid defensive passive to get it.

3) Even ignoring shield blocking, shields provide a substantial boost to armor and potentially resistances which is difficult to make up elsewhere. They can also provide a respectable DPS boost to your main hand. My current shield has 150ish dexterity and 7% crit chance; with the weapon selection I currently have available, I do more DPS with the shield equipped than I would by dual wielding. With the right weapons available dual wielding will come out ahead, but those weapons are substantially more expensive than a weapon + shield combo.

My experience with dual wield tanking is that you do it for stacking Life on Hit and for increased spirit regen. Having the option to take the dodge bonus from Guardian's Path is an added bonus, but a minor one. Is there something I'm missing?

I think the biggest issue that people have been having is that until now, it wasnt super expensive to gear a glass cannon.

Meanwhile, melee classes have spent millions upon millions of gold just to be able to function like a non retard. Now melee is in a position where the gear that was previously only required for them is now required for everyone.

The DH that was using a blue ring with 175 dex and 15 attack speed now needs 160 dex, 3 crit, 150 vit, and 50 all res. expensive right? Welcome to the life of a melee

Neki

I think the biggest issue that people have been having is that until now, it wasnt super expensive to gear a glass cannon.

Meanwhile, melee classes have spent millions upon millions of gold just to be able to function like a non retard. Now melee is in a position where the gear that was previously only required for them is now required for everyone.

The DH that was using a blue ring with 175 dex and 15 attack speed now needs 160 dex, 3 crit, 150 vit, and 50 all res. expensive right? Welcome to the life of a melee

That's not the issue. Demon hunter just feels like a terrible class, nothing really fun about it anymore. :p

LordCanti

It's not expensive at all if you just sell your gear and quit the game till the expansion. :p

Kenaras

What do bliz mean by a level 61 / 62 / 63 item? I thought lvl 60 was the highest.

60 is the highest level required to equip an item. However, items themselves continue to get better after level 60; the quality of the item is referred to as "item level", or "ilvl". Formerly, ilvl 61 items were the best which could drop in act 1 inferno; ilvl 62 was act 2 inferno and ilvl 63 was act 3/4 inferno. Now all acts in inferno can drop all of these item qualities, but later acts have better odds.

Narag

That's not the issue. Demon hunter just feels like a terrible class, nothing really fun about it anymore. :p

I still enjoy DH quite a bit but the chest/destructible item drop nerf is what's getting me. It was fun having a ton of loot even if it was mostly junk.

LordCanti

Alright, I just got another Perfect Star Emerald plan. That's like two of them in two hours of playing today. Did they massively up the drop rate?

Revoh

Spot on
Yesterday me (barb) and my friend monk were farming act 3 with another friend DH, we couldn't stop laughing by how much he was dying, he actually said barbs are easy mode now.

Fuck that, I've been farming for weeks just to afford my high vit, high str, high all res gear, not to mention my must have tank items, Stormshield, justice lantern, etc.
Easy mode my ass

sleepykyo

20% for 3.2k vs +15% for no damage from Guardian's Path. The latter scales with your current Evasion and your skills and the former doesn't really. You'll also tend to have lower total mitigation than a Barbarian so it's -3.2k on average from a hit rather than a chance to Block and not take any damage that they get.

Due to that, it's a bit of a different story due to Monk's being able to reach a high enough Evasion that it's ultimately worth more to raise the evasion chance than to get the Block; you're going towards the same goal (chance to not take damage) but through different routes.

It also helps that Monk scales a bit better with Life on Hit and Attack Speed and DWing allows them to reach that goal as well as raising their Evasion.

Are you sure it's +15% still? Seems like Guardian's Path is just 10% in Inferno despite what the tooltips claim.

Neki

What changed to make it unfun? The nerf to Nether Tentacles or the increased repair costs?

Personally, my demon hunter feels fine.

To keep good DPS, none of my gear has IAS anymore so I attack super slow. 8 second windows to hit mobs before they get full hp is super annoying, and they basically destroyed demon hunter's best right click, along with these terrible drop rates, just a great combination of no fun. :p

I basically feel like a shitty Wizard without all the mobility or the spells. The advantage Demon Hunters had on Wizards was amazing pierce damage, and now we don't even have that.

scy

I'm utterly shocked someone like you would do this. :lol

I sold some things to fund an alt that I really shouldn't have, basically. My Monk is in pretty poor gear.

1) The 15% from Guardian's Path does not scale with your current dodge; the effective bonus is identical regardless of your current dodge percentage. For that matter, neither does any other dodge skill available. It might scale with other evasion - such as the miss chance from Blinding Flash - depending on how the combat rolls are done.

Base Evasion * (1 - Other%) * (1 - Other%) * (1 - Other%) * ... etc for the formula on it. It's just that as your Evasion gets higher, going from 50% to 40% to 30% chance to be hit is effectively "more valuable" than going from 80% to 70% to 60%, for instance.

Granted, +15% from Guardian's Path (and all other sources) is already scaled by your current Evasion. That is, +15% at 50% Evasion means you now have a 42.5% chance to be hit; at 80%, it means you have a 68% chance to be hit.

As for Blinding Flash, I believe it's just a bonus to your Evasion. I haven't actually looked into it and I don't think I've seen any math on it elsewhere.

2) That 15% doesn't come for free. You have to give up another solid defensive passive to get it.

Typically Transcendence, though you can gear Life per Spirit Spent on the extra slot. You're right, though, it's not free.

3) Even ignoring shield blocking, shields provide a substantial boost to armor and potentially resistances which is difficult to make up elsewhere. They can also provide a respectable DPS boost to your main hand. My current shield has 150ish dexterity and 7% crit chance; with the weapon selection I currently have available, I do more DPS with the shield equipped than I would by dual wielding. With the right weapons available dual wielding will come out ahead, but those weapons are substantially more expensive than a weapon + shield combo.

My experience with dual wield tanking is that you do it for stacking Life on Hit and for increased spirit regen. Having the option to take the dodge bonus from Guardian's Path is an added bonus, but a minor one. Is there something I'm missing?

Never said that a Shield didn't. They do provide good bonuses and better per-hit Damage (typically, anyway). Dual Wielding gets you the better Life on Hit and Spirit generation (and, if you're gearing Monk weapons, +Life per Spirit Spent) which is the core of survival for the class. Generating more Spirit to turn into healing (via LpSS) and damage and better Life on Hit to sustain yourself.

Shield isn't terrible by any means and DWing is really the last part of the whole thing. It's a more offensive take on tanking; Lightning Flash and Mantra of Evasion usage is by far the most important part of building survivability. DWing and getting more Evasion out of it is the small last piece of it.

UberTag

Alright, I just got another Perfect Star Emerald plan. That's like two of them in two hours of playing today. Did they massively up the drop rate?
Would love to see more of these hit the commodity market so I can finally upgrade my Jeweler.
At least the cheap Blacksmith plans are reasonably affordable.

I still enjoy DH quite a bit but the chest/destructible item drop nerf is what's getting me. It was fun having a ton of loot even if it was mostly junk.

Yeah chests are pathetic now. Only got one rare from opening loads of them today including resplendents. Had to laugh when the resplendent in the dalghur oasis side dungeon where you have to open the tomb gave me three shitty blues. What a legendary treasure!

LordCanti

Would love to see more of these hit the commodity market so I can finally upgrade my Jeweler.
At least the cheap Blacksmith plans are reasonably affordable.

When this sells, I'll have made 3m in two hours off of two identical things.

Anyone here (in NA) want this plan for 1.5 before I put it up in the AH for 1.65 and have to take the 15% hit?

scy

To keep good DPS, none of my gear has IAS anymore so I attack super slow. 8 second windows to hit mobs before they get full hp is super annoying, and they basically destroyed demon hunter's best right click, along with these terrible drop rates, just a great combination of no fun. :p

I basically feel like a shitty Wizard without all the mobility or the spells.

My Wizard is almost unplayable after being so used to ~2.8 APS. I even swapped out the IAS% for better gear in preparation for 1.0.3 but it's still pretty bad watching the animations. I complain about this pretty much every time I'm on my Wizard :(

Kenaras

Are you sure it's +15% still? Seems like Guardian's Path is just 10% in Inferno despite what the tooltips claim.

I'd have to double check to make sure, and I can't do that at the moment. Are you sure you're applying the bonus correctly, though? Dodge bonuses stack multiplicitively, not additively.

For example, if you have 50% chance to dodge without Guardian's Path, the 15% bonus will give you a total of 57.5% dodge. If the Guardian's Path bonus is actually 10% like you say, you'd get a total of 55% dodge.

Won

What changed to make it unfun? The nerf to Nether Tentacles or the increased repair costs?

Personally, my demon hunter feels fine.

Yeah, my DH feels crazy powerful now. But I was never fast at killing stuff I guess.

Too bad I switched to Hardcore and my DH doesn't get any playtime now. :/

sleepykyo

I'd have to double check to make sure, and I can't do that at the moment. Are you sure you're applying the bonus correctly, though? Dodge bonuses stack multiplicitively, not additively.

For example, if you have 50% chance to dodge without Guardian's Path, the 15% bonus will give you a total of 57.5% dodge. If the Guardian's Path bonus is actually 10% like you say, you'd get a total of 55% dodge.

Oh. That makes sense then.

Mr Swine

Banned
Been playing with my barb and I want to thank you guys for helping me choose passive skills and which skills I have to use. Now I can beat those pesky blue/yellow elites, even if they are very hard sometime :) a lot better than before! :D

Kenaras

Base Evasion * (1 - Other%) * (1 - Other%) * (1 - Other%) * ... etc for the formula on it. It's just that as your Evasion gets higher, going from 50% to 40% to 30% chance to be hit is effectively "more valuable" than going from 80% to 70% to 60%, for instance.

Granted, +15% from Guardian's Path (and all other sources) is already scaled by your current Evasion. That is, +15% at 50% Evasion means you now have a 42.5% chance to be hit; at 80%, it means you have a 68% chance to be hit.

As for Blinding Flash, I believe it's just a bonus to your Evasion. I haven't actually looked into it and I don't think I've seen any math on it elsewhere.

Yeah, I know the formula. And you're right, as your evasion gets higher going from 50% to 40% to 30% etc is more valuable. The thing is, as your evasion gets higher the bonus from Guardian's Path gets progressively smaller to compensate. I suppose we're just saying the same thing differently. In other words, a 15% dodge bonus always provides the same effective boost to your survivability, regardless of your current dodge chance. In comparison, a 1500 point armor bonus gets less effective as your current armor increases.

So for the DHs who relied on Nether, what are you using now?

Ball Lightning.

TommyT

I sold some things to fund an alt that I really shouldn't have, basically. My Monk is in pretty poor gear.

Running dual resists? If so which one?

is it worthwhile to craft now?

For gold or for actual items? The short answer for both is yes, it can be.

So for the DHs who relied on Nether, what are you using now?

Solo, Ball Lightning. With a group, Rapid Fire/Ball Lightning (I drop RoV).

LordCanti

Impale with Overpentration. :p

I've been using Caltrops + Jagged Spikes. With 5 of them stacked, things just kind of keel over and die. I've got Impale + Grievous Wounds on there as well, for when things sneak up on me.

Not champs or anything of course, but then again, there's no champs anywhere near the Alcarnus Goblin or the A3 chest.

jkanownik

Audίoboxer;39072910 said:
My FPS has tanked since the update, getting lots of screen tearing as well :/

For some reason the patch reset all of my game settings. I had to go back in and turn vertical synching on and adjust my audio settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom