• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Yeah, I know the formula. And you're right, as your evasion gets higher going from 50% to 40% to 30% etc is more valuable. The thing is, as your evasion gets higher the bonus from Guardian's Path gets progressively smaller to compensate. I suppose we're just saying the same thing differently. In other words, a 15% dodge bonus always provides the same effective boost to your survivability, regardless of your current dodge chance. In comparison, a 1500 point armor bonus gets less effective as your current armor increases.

Essentially, it just "seems better" when we're talking about the 60%/70% values where you're now in the territory of actually getting hit less than you're dodging.

Just a note, +1500 Armor is always the same for EHP due to the same thing. That is, going from 30% -> 40% Mitigation and going from 50% -> 60% Mitigation are different. It takes more Armor for those 10% jumps but think of it the other way: 70% Damage Taken -> 60% Damage Taken means you take ~14% less damage and 50% Damage Taken -> 40% Damage Taken is 20% less damage. It effectively balances out as well here.

For Evasion, it's that DWing itself (higher attack rate for Life on Hit and Spirit Generation) is enough to typically outweigh the +Armor from a Shield given you're able to survive comfortably without it when you are hit. I guess a better way to put it is that DWing route is better when you're reaching the point of outgearing the current content :x

I'm liking the dual wield evasion build honestly. I've got my resistances up to 603 and buffed armor up to 4.8K right now. My DPS buffed with breath of heaven is 12.5K. LPS about 450+ and LOH about 1100. Cruising through act II now.

I got my APS back up to 2.25 as well.

This brings something up actually. Are you monks still stacking IAS? How are you generating spirit fast enough if you're not? I'm thinking I could potentially get my APS up to 2.5+ still.

How are all these monks with so low DPS.
I guess i should start trying to go to Act II
stats.png

Totakeke

I found a resplendent chest in act 3 with 5NV and >200%MF! Then I open it and only 2 ilvl62 blues pop out. I guess that's better than nothing. :(

Does the chest drop nerf cancel out the item drop buff on monsters?

With that and the loss of items and gold from breakables, I'd say so. Pre patch I usually got at least one rare from elites killed with 5 nv anyway so I don't see the guaranteed rare as that big a buff personally. The loot table changes are the only big improvement.

scy

Running dual resists? If so which one?

Lightning, I think? I'm enjoying my new Barb for the time being (dat Frenzy attack speed, etc.) and I'm still debating which character I want to actively get my farm on with. I might just do that with my DH but she's in hands down the worst gear since I originally created her to easy mode content and do max speed Gold Farm clears of Nightmare/Hell stuff :x

I leveled special cow-level amazon on javelins and specialized magic find mef run sorceres into lvl 9x.

The only very good tier item i found was buriza
I call this bullshit, Lest you wanted to run mf pindle baal Meph with 100mf :)
Mf run in d2 took 34 minutes top and you could find something valuable or at Lest tarda le aftermath 100 or so run...
Sure it was no wf/gf but it was something that could have trade value in runes that would add up towards a trade for said items....

How are all these monks with so low DPS.
I guess i should start trying to go to Act II
stats.png

I gave up some DPS for for LOH. You have 300 I have 1100. Sockets weapons with IAS and high DPS are super expensive.

EDOT: I also have 2.25 APS for life/spirit regen as well. You ahve 1.6 APS.

Kenaras

Essentially, it just "seems better" when we're talking about the 60%/70% values where you're now in the territory of actually getting hit less than you're dodging.

Just a note, +1500 Armor is always the same for EHP due to the same thing. That is, going from 30% -> 40% Mitigation and going from 50% -> 60% Mitigation are different. It takes more Armor for those 10% jumps but think of it the other way: 70% Damage Taken -> 60% Damage Taken means you take ~14% less damage and 50% Damage Taken -> 40% Damage Taken is 20% less damage. It effectively balances out as well here.

For Evasion, it's that DWing itself (higher attack rate for Life on Hit and Spirit Generation) is enough to typically outweigh the +Armor from a Shield given you're able to survive comfortably without it when you are hit. I guess a better way to put it is that DWing route is better when you're reaching the point of outgearing the current content :x

You're not quite getting what I was saying. +1500 armor is the same EHP bonus, but it scales in the same way that say Dexterity scales your damage. If you have 40k health, 1500 armor provides 20k EHP, raising your EHP by 50%. Another 1500 armor on top of that raises your EHP by another 20k, but that's now a 33.3% EHP increase over what you had with 1500 armor. The next 1500 armor is a 25% EHP increase, and so on.

In comparison, a dodge bonus will always raise your EHP by a percentage. No matter what your current dodge percentage is, The Guardian's Path is always a 17.6% EHP increase. If you take another 15% dodge somewhere else - say, Mantra of Evasion - you increase your current EHP by another 17.6%. Activate your Mantra for the dodge bonus, and you once again increase your current EHP by 17.6%.

scy

You're not quite getting what I was saying. +1500 armor is the same EHP bonus, but it scales in the same way that say Dexterity scales your damage. If you have 40k health, 1500 armor provides 20k EHP, raising your EHP by 50%. Another 1500 armor on top of that raises your EHP by another 20k, but that's now a 33.3% EHP increase over what you had with 1500 armor. The next 1500 armor is a 25% EHP increase, and so on.

In comparison, a dodge bonus will always raise your EHP by a percentage. No matter what your current dodge percentage is, The Guardian's Path is always a 17.6% EHP increase. If you take another 15% dodge somewhere else - say, Mantra of Evasion - you increase your current EHP by another 17.6%. Activate your Mantra for the dodge bonus, and you once again increase your current EHP by 17.6%.

Ah, I see what you're getting at here. Yes, that's the case.

I gave up some DPS for for LOH. You have 300 I have 1100. Sockets weapons with IAS and high DPS are super expensive.

EDOT: I also have 2.25 APS for life/spirit regen as well. You ahve 1.6 APS.

I used to be at 2.25 before patch I started switching to crit/dmg after i saw my dps drop.

scy

Didn't they make it so that chests no longer factor in MF?

I'm still a little surprised they didn't just make all Resplendent Chests an encounter you need to clear before you can open the chest. Seems like an overall better way to handle botting them rather than reducing their yield.

...maybe move a few of the really conveniently located ones as well.

I used to be at 2.25 before patch I started switching to crit/dmg

Just different builds then ...

I think you should be fine for act II with your armor and damage .... maybe get your res up to 500.

I'm now cruising along in act II. I didn't have time to progress last night, but easily got a 5 stack and started farming in the caves and area where you get ZK's blood.

I also have 600 resists.

Artanisix

To keep good DPS, none of my gear has IAS anymore so I attack super slow. 8 second windows to hit mobs before they get full hp is super annoying, and they basically destroyed demon hunter's best right click, along with these terrible drop rates, just a great combination of no fun. :p

I basically feel like a shitty Wizard without all the mobility or the spells. The advantage Demon Hunters had on Wizards was amazing pierce damage, and now we don't even have that.

310% weapon damage with lifesteal, aoe, piercing, spammable is a little too good for a right click bro

Also ias is still good, it's just freaking expensive to get gear with ias/crit/critdmg. But I agree on feeling really slow, even though my dps has gone up since the patch, I still prefer the smoothness and feel of having tons of IAS. It's way more fun attacking fast than critting big. I might switch over to dual wielding since the 15% bonus IAS is pretty significant now, plus it'll feel waaaaaaaay faster. Only problem is sexy one handers with lifesteal (lifesteal>>>life on hit imo), strength, crit damage, and an open socket AND high dps is extremely expensive.

scy

They should make a treasure chest that 2 treasure gnomes jump out, as well as an elite. Most infuriating chest ever.

An elite with Vortex and Waller.

310% weapon damage with lifesteal, aoe, piercing, spammable is a little too good for a right click bro

The funny part is that a lot of earlier discussion on why Nether Tentacles was so good always had a, "So good it'll be nerfed soon" caveat. Now that it was fixed, there seems to be this kind of confusion about it :x

Granted, maybe they should've made the rest of the Arrows a bit better as well or give NT 25% instead of 20% Life Steal. But, still, this was kind of one of those things we all saw coming.

LordCanti

I'm still a little surprised they didn't just make all Resplendent Chests an encounter you need to clear before you can open the chest. Seems like an overall better way to handle botting them rather than reducing their yield.

...maybe move a few of the really conveniently located ones as well.

All removing MF from the equation did was make it logical to do those runs naked, so as to not incur any repair costs. It really was a brilliant move on Blizzard's part.

hobart

Re: Spirit Generation w/o IAS

Last patch I was farming A2 without IAS. Maybe I'm a Monk in the minority... but I found that Sweeping Wind with the spirit regen rune (when getting full stacks) gave me the spirit regen I needed. For me, it's not about spamming heals (although that certainly happens in a pinch) but rather carefully layering my defensive skills at the right time (and, yes, kiting at times depending on the pack).

I didn't get to play too much last night... but really nothing changed for me. I wasn't struggling in A1 or A2. A3 is still a bit of a pain for me when I am not grouped.

scy

All removing MF from the equation did was make it logical to do those runs naked, so as to not incur any repair costs. It really was a brilliant move on Blizzard's part.

Do the run naked, script auto-equip -> pop chest -> unequip everything, profit!

Do +% damage stats on weapons actually affect your full calculated damage or does it only affect the damage of your weapon?

It's just to the damage on the weapon itself.

Neki

Also ias is still good, it's just freaking expensive to get gear with ias/crit/critdmg. But I agree on feeling really slow, even though my dps has gone up since the patch, I still prefer the smoothness and feel of having tons of IAS. It's way more fun attacking fast than critting big. I might switch over to dual wielding since the 15% bonus IAS is pretty significant now, plus it'll feel waaaaaaaay faster. Only problem is sexy one handers with lifesteal (lifesteal>>>life on hit imo), strength, crit damage, and an open socket AND high dps is extremely expensive.

Lifesteal wasn't even the reason why it was good. Hitting mobs twice-three was the reason. :p

Shouta

I just wanted to point out that you still get items from things that you break like the hidden caches or coffins or stashes but just not like the random chair or pot now, I think. I've gotten several rares and tons of blues from clickable points so it's not like it's totally nerfed.

As for Monk spirit regen, add some Crit Chance to your build (as the gearing requirements aren't as crazy now) and go with Fists of Thunder - Quickening again. I use that + Sweeping Wind - Cyclone for double duty on crit now.

LordCanti

Do the run naked, script auto-equip -> pop chest -> unequip everything, profit!

Lol. That's basically what I did before they removed MF. Now I don't need to put MF on.

Does anyone know if Goblin's still take MF into account for their drops?

Ashhong

So the Blizzard Bucks you get from the RMAH can be used on future Blizzard games right? Sold an item and forgot to put it on PayPal, so I'm not sure if I want to save it for a game later or just spend it on another item in RMAH.

Lol. That's basically what I did before they removed MF. Now I don't need to put MF on.

Does anyone know if Goblin's still take MF into account for their drops?

That would be bullshit if it didn't. Although last night, I was playing with 200 MF goblin farming with a friend who had 12% MF, and he was consistently getting more rares than me. Every single time.

Probably shouldn't have taught covetous the radiant star gem pattern, it's worth 6million alone and I don't have the 2 patterns before it.

What in the world are these DPS barbs a few pages back? How can I get at that... I know I've read about 2handed options or high str gear (also very high end) but is my average joe barb still viable to farm well?

Kenaras

Lifesteal wasn't even the reason why it was good. Hitting mobs twice-three was the reason. :p

Nether Tentacles was beyond broken; I knew it was going to get nerfed the moment I found out it could hit the same mob multiple times. That kind of damage might be reasonable on a 40 hatred attack, but 10? It honestly feels more like a bug fix than a nerf.

I found a resplendent chest in act 3 with 5NV and >200%MF! Then I open it and only 2 ilvl62 blues pop out. I guess that's better than nothing. :(

MF doesnt affect chests anymore.

I opened 5 R. Chests yesterday all in different places and didnt get a single yellow. Chests are shit now

Totakeke

So I killed about 15 elites consecutively in Act 3 just now, probably got around 20-25 rares in total. I only got 1 ilvl 63 rare and it was shit, nothing else worth selling except maybe a 18% GF shoulder. Well it's still within that sweet sweet RNG.

MF doesnt affect chests anymore.

I opened 5 R. Chests yesterday all in different places and didnt get a single yellow. Chests are shit now

Yeah I know. I still put on my MF gear just to get disappointed. :p

scy

Nether Tentacles was beyond broken; I knew it was going to get nerfed the moment I found out it could hit the same mob multiple times. That kind of damage might be reasonable on a 40 hatred attack, but 10? It honestly feels more like a bug fix than a nerf.

It was actually listed as a bug fix.

forrest

formerly nacire
I just searched for things I needed between MF games or every hour or so playing. I found my bow for 145k on the AH before the IAS nerf. Even then it was good, now it's pretty awesome.

bows.png

Btw I'm not sure what post you think I was responding to. If you were the one posting the tank barb or some other endgame character this advice likely won't work. Obviously going from great gear to endgame is a bigger leap and much harder to get a steal. Most of the time steals happen when you search a specific set of stats you desire, not an obviously beast item with 6 stats that are all among the best.

Then MF in late hell if you're having trouble. You can get up to ilvl62 in hell... outside of your wep, you can basically get gfg gear before you even hit inferno.

I play a DH in ilvl 62-63 gear. The thing is, if I had a piece that had defensive stats with just a small hit to dps, I would just AH the item as I just didn't need it to be viable. Looking through the AH for Dex, Vit, All Resist gear that can rival my current dps just isn't realistic. The replacements are easily 10 million per slot.

I never relied on IAS like a lot of other DH so that change hasn't effected me so much. But the hit to NT really has. I'm having trouble finding something that feels remotely close to as effective as NT was and it just isn't there. I also don't mind indefinitely kiting and drawing the fights out to make due without the dps of NT, but with the change to mobs regenerating health from not being attacked 5-8 seconds while off screen, it's just not much fun. Resources run out much quicker than I can kill elite packs when they keep getting full health back while kiting. Pop smoke screen, mobs loses aggro, run down hall, mob goes other way down hall, run back to him, oh he has full health, nice!

So yeah yeah, play the game different than you were. I've tried Gloom, it still doesn't work with a severe lack of defensive stats and I don't find face tanking with my range character a very desirable playstyle to an archetype I've loved for so long.

I'm glad I don't have to use NT, but I'm not happy the other options feels so much weaker and less effective in general.

scy

What in the world are these DPS barbs a few pages back? How can I get at that... I know I've read about 2handed options or high str gear (also very high end) but is my average joe barb still viable to farm well?

Survivability through killing things. Essentially, get to the mitigation needed to not be dying immediately and then gear damage and Crit Chance%. Whirlwind's Blood Funnel heals you for 1% Max Life per Crit and your crits can shorten Overpower's Cooldown (which can be runed for 8% Max Life heal per enemy hit, though Revenge is still more consistent) so it's not like you're still not getting better survivability out of the exchange.

Bola + impale seems unnatural to me, NT was so good =(

No more bugged NT for DHs and no more machine-gun spamming Magic Missile and Piercing Orb for Wizards :(

Shouta

Bola + impale seems unnatural to me, NT was so good =(

If you have the survivability and the IAS for it, Bola Shot - Imminent Doom is really good damage. With a high enough IAS, you can probably get a few shots off before your Sharpshoot resets as the delay is 2 seconds.

Dahbomb

Anyone not expecting a NT nerf/fix was out of their mind. It was completely broken. I didn't even know about NT until I hit Inferno and started looking at other DH's who were all using NT. I switched to NT and was like... WTF is this shit? Why the hell would I use any other Hate using move when not only is NT cheaper but gives me insane AOE damage, criticals and massive damage on single large target enemies? It completely shat on every other Hatred user move in the game.

rybrad

Anyone have tips on good farming runs now? I can get through Act III as a DH but it takes too long and I die too often to make it worth it I think. I have thought about trying Act II but I don't really have a good sense of optimal farming runs since 1.0.3. I have seen a lot of people saying just do entire acts but it seems like there has to be a more focused solution.

I spent all my money a couple weeks ago on glass cannon gear (still barely at 40k DPS) and haven't found a single upgrade or item to sell since then so I really need to get some quality farming in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ok so what do i need to look for in gear for my DH?

dex vit all resist. ok.

how much all resist do i need?

Seems like 200-300 for Act I, and 600+ for Act II and beyond is a good place to be for resists. You can probably get by with less, though. I don't really know Demon Hunter's play, but I imagine they benefit from having a lot of Life on Hit or Life Steal gear like anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom