• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

Thank you eek for tanking Ghom for me. Amazing. Taking him head on in a room full of poison like it ain't a thang. Straight Boss. Some voodoo shit LOL.

LordCanti

Dunno if that 7 disc is worth the massive dps drop you'd likely have if you equipped it though. I'd go down close to 9k.

It's not worth it. People keep buying them though. This is my fourth one.

This is what I'm worried about in the future. Unlike Starcraft and WoW, I can actually see an end to the game.

I have reached that point. I may come back at a later date to level other classes to 60, but once I sell off this loot, I'm done for a while.

RivalCore

So I took a few notes doing an Act I run. Went Cemetery - Field North of Tristram - Festering Woods - North Highlands - Leorics Manor and then did the Warden/Butcher run.

62 minutes,
4 goblins,
73 rares,
92000 gold after repairs and selling junk blues,
30000 from junk rares,
2 rares on the AH,

Plus whatever crafting materials (30+ essences), gems and potions. Not bad at all. I need to buy myself a MF weapon and a pair of +Mov and MF boots now to get it down quicker.

Seth C

You're not alone.

I'm not rage quitting though, just putting it on the backburner.

It's possible to get to completion, I'm just not finding it fun anymore. The elite act1 farming is something that I did all day Saturday. I got 1 good lvl63 roll and it's a shoulder piece. 2-3 decent lvl 62 rolls. And a shit ton of 60 and below.

It's just too damn tedious. You grind through a bunch of elites, which done efficiently in act1 takes about 30 minutes. Then you have to right-click a ton of question marks, and nearly every time they're all shit. lvl 60 items don't sell in the AH because people aren't playing and the AH is saturated..

I've switched to civ5. I may return if I'm bored or if they increase the drop rate.

It would be really nice if there was an option to not even drop whites or even magical items. Just auto-delete them. Also get rid of the right-click to unwrap a bag of shit thing.

So yes it's possible to eventually get a bunch of level 63 items with good rolls, but it would take hundreds of hours. That's really the only way to go because I've looked at both the GAH and the RMAH, and the stuff I need is 100+M or $250 or not on the RMAH at all (lots of shit items being sold at $250 by crazy people).

I'm with you. When you've had an item since Act 2 of Normal through till Act 3 of Hell, well, a game like Diablo just stops being fun. The shitty gear I had in Act 1 is even shittier in Act 3, but in 10 hours of play with 5 stacks of NV I haven't found anything better. I'm not even in search of this epic loot most of you are. I'm begging the game to give me something absolutely unbelievably mediocre, like a sword that does even 400dps, and it completely refuses to do so. The only way I've managed to get as far as I have in the game is through crafting, but now it has me in a situation where I don't get access to anything better to craft than what I already have, without getting to Inferno. But I can't get to Inferno because I can't craft better gear. Oh well.

It's not worth it. People keep buying them though. This is my fourth one.

I have reached that point. I may come back at a later date to level other classes to 60, but once I sell off this loot, I'm done for a while.

You play on US servers? i'm thinking of cashing out as well. it's an addictive cycle that i'd rather put an end to sooner rather than later.

LordCanti

You play on US servers? i'm thinking of cashing out as well. it's an addictive cycle that i'd rather put an end to sooner rather than later.

Yeah, NA server. If you're going to cash out, I would do it soon. Values on everything but the very top stuff are going down pretty steadily.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, NA server. If you're going to cash out, I would do it soon. Values on everything but the very top stuff are going down pretty steadily.

Good. Maybe I'll be able to afford some new gear then and not be stuck at the beginning of Act II Inferno, simply because:

1. the game won't drop any loot I can use

and

2. it's taking way too long to farm the gold to buy anything I need because of my repair bills

I really feel like I'm at a wall on my wizard. I barely make any gold at all with my repairs due to deaths, and even with 5 stacks of NV I can't seem to get any good rares to either use or sell. It's kind of frustrating.

I think I'm gonna take a break from D3 for awhile, come back fresh later on.

Seth C

Good. Maybe I'll be able to afford some new gear then and not be stuck at the beginning of Act II Inferno, simply because:

and

2. it's taking way too long to farm the gold to buy anything I need because of my repair bills

I really feel like I'm at a wall on my wizard. I barely make any gold at all with my repairs due to deaths, and even with 5 stacks of NV I can't seem to get any good rares to either use or sell. It's kind of frustrating.

You should try playing the game without using the AH at all. Now that is a "fun" experience.

It's definitely cash-out time. Simply not having fun anymore. Time to cross the rubicon and throw my equipped items on RMAH. To my masochistic brethren, I wish you well.

ElyrionX

Ok, GAF, I don't usually do this but I need help with the following items:

rdoG4.png

Picked this up last night. The crit damage modifier throws me off somewhat. Do barbs even care about crit damage? Or should I just ignore that and value it alone the lines of 2H weapons with similar DPS and +Strength? Any estimates on what it can fetch on GAH or RMAH?

jDae7.png

Picked this up last week and listed on the RMAH for $250, $200 and now $175. No one is biting. Did I overvalue it?

EDIT: Forgot to add that the ring screenshot is pre-nerf. Post-nerf, IAS is only 6%.

Alright that ring above just sold for 150 USD. And it was a 700k snipe from the GAH pre-1.0.3. LOL

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Its actually impossible, literally. Once you get to inferno, you wont make enough gold from random drops and vendoring junk to cover repairs.

Yep, and that's why I gave all my gear away. Wasn't so much a rage quit. I don't want loot drops to be buffed just a little bit or repair costs to be fixed a little. I want to be able to play at a decent pace without using the AH, and if that happens then I'm not going to be screwed when/If I come back.

eek5

Its actually impossible, literally. Once you get to inferno, you wont make enough gold from random drops and vendoring junk to cover repairs.

Well it is impossible if you play normally. It's possible if you want to sell your soul and just farm a goblin over and over for weeks. :lol

ElyrionX

Is it even worth it to check the auction house if you are a lower level?

If you want to steamroll your way through the game, then yes. I would advise against it though. The game really shines when you're progressing from 1-60 and from Normal to the end of Hell. After that, the experience does plateau a little.

GJS

Shouldn't really be in inferno yet if that's the case. Playing without the AH to gear for inferno is going to be a long process of farming act 3/4 of hell mode, which is what blizzard wanted, only now you can gear even better in hell mode.

It looks to me that the repair costs have done exactly what Blizzard wanted and slowed progression.

ZZMitch

If you want to steamroll your way through the game, then yes. I would advise against it though. The game really shines when you're progressing from 1-60 and from Normal to the end of Hell. After that, the experience does plateau a little.

Yeah, that is what I am planning on doing. I am just gunna stay away from the AH until I am having trouble progressing in the game. I am still going through a normal playthrough so I obviously am in no need.

LiK

so i've been jumping between different classes and i'm in love with the DH. only lvl 25 right now but i love her powers and speed. might abandon my lvl 55 Monk and just power lvl my DH to 60. fun class. got botred with my Wizard.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Shouldn't really be in inferno yet if that's the case. Playing without the AH to gear for inferno is going to be a long process of farming act 3/4 of hell mode, which is what blizzard wanted, only now you can gear even better in hell mode.

It looks to me that the repair costs have done exactly what Blizzard wanted and slowed progression.

Repairs costs didn't affect be badly. It was maybe 30k every 1 hour champ pack run. I could make that back by salvaging and selling crafting mats.

It's the constant shit loot since 1.03.

Ashhong

Why in the world does it ask me for an authenticator every single time I log in on my laptop? I have it set to not do that, and it almost never asks me on my desktop. Is it because I have it on 2 computers or something?

Anustart

Why in the world does it ask me for an authenticator every single time I log in on my laptop? I have it set to not do that, and it almost never asks me on my desktop. Is it because I have it on 2 computers or something?

Think it's two different computers. Mine is set to authenticate once a week, and no matter what I have to authenticate if I get on b.net with my mobile.

RkOwnage

I've taken notes from the last couple of runs I've done.

I've faced 115 champion/rare packs
and 91 of them have had Reflect damage.

Random my ass.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

and

Take a break until they patch.

If you crunch the numbers, getting the equipment you need approaches lottery ticket odds.

lvl 63 drop rate = 0.02
Relevant to your class = .25
Good roll = .05
Number of pieces needed (12?) = .08333

Multiple them all = 2.08E-5

So you only need to get 48,000 rares to get what you need. Sounds like fun.

If blizzard wants to fix this game, they should jack up the drop rate for inferno items, revert the repair change and gold drop decrease. Then there might be enough balance to keep people hooked a few weeks doing different classes. They've gone overboard and it's causing people to quit. Bad design or design intended to maximize RMAH, I don't know but it's not realistic.

RkOwnage

Are you a DH? I basically quit because that's all I saw in the past couple of runs.

Wizard. Still annoying as hell, although not NEARLY as bad as a DH, as I have one, and it's way more punishing, I can at least Diamond Skin it, it's just NOT random.

dwebo

Wizard. Still annoying as hell, although not NEARLY as bad as a DH, as I have one, and it's way more punishing, I can at least Diamond Skin it, it's just NOT random.

well, there's a difference between random and equally likely. I mean, how often do you see a missile dampening affix?

V_Arnold

My last 5 packs all had arcane, molten, and reflect damage. That's when I said fuck it.

Uhm...are you running a glass cannon build? Because anything slightly more solid than that can demolish those affixes.
(And I am not talking about dropping 10-50 million on gear, just equipping a LOH gem in your weapon, for example. :p)

well, there's a difference between random and equally likely. I mean, how often do you see a missile dampening affix?

I think missile dampening and invulnerable minions are on a lower proc chance. (Invulnerable still being a lot more common than missile dampening.)
The others are considered equal as far as my 222 hours + experience goes.

If you crunch the numbers, getting the equipment you need approaches lottery ticket odds.

lvl 63 drop rate = 0.02
Good roll = .05

If blizzard wants to fix this game, they should jack up the drop rate for inferno items, revert the repair change and gold drop decrease. Then there might be enough balance to keep people hooked a few weeks doing different classes. They've gone overboard and it's causing people to quit. Bad design or design intended to maximize RMAH, I don't know but it's not realistic.

Plugging in RivalCore's numbers from above: 62 min/73 rares > 48000/73 = 657 runs at 62 minutes a pop, which is 679 hours of grinding.

lvl 63 drop rate = 0.02
Good roll = .05

There's really no good solution to the core problem, which is lack of content. People quit either way, either due to frustration or finishing all the content.

They need additional time sinks that arent cockblocks to inferno progression. Its that simple.

This is why i think the challenge ladder is such a great idea. Its simple in nature so takes less time to implement than something involving a cohesive story, and adds a competitive element to the game.

V_Arnold

Plugging in RivalCore's numbers from above: 62 min/73 rares > 48000/73 = 657 runs at 62 minutes a pop, which is 679 hours of grinding.

That is actually a quite good number. It means that it would took you around a year of regular gameplay to perfect a gearset. Perfectly reasonable for something that is made with the "let us max it out 1000/1000 style in a week, then move on" mentality.

There's really no good solution to the core problem, which is lack of content. People quit either way, either due to frustration or finishing all the content.

Edit: also, lack of content? Where were you during D2 days? o_O This game will recieve even more content than now, and this endgame is basically the whole acts, not 2-3 runs at best+Uber stuff that did not get added after a few years after launch.

Won

lvl 63 drop rate = 0.02
Good roll = .05

No patch is gonna hand out the drop rate some people want though.

This whole gear depending endgame thing is generally just not really working out.

rabhw

Can I get an RMAH price check on this helm I found? My friend says its one of the highest armors / res all he's seen. Dex isn't great but yeah:

CNE1g.png

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

lvl 63 drop rate = 0.02
Good roll = .05

If using the GAH you can remove the "appropriate class" variable. Also you don't need ilvl63 items to progress. Well rolled 61s and lots of 62s are fine as well. You also don't need great items in every slot to progress.

Let's be a little more realistic about the odds. The drop rate is fine...it should be a challenge.

Dahbomb

Those numbers aren't that bad at all. 600 hours of Inferno play to max out my character? Seems about par for the course. Of course the AH makes it even easier to get the gear you need. That's why getting class specific gear is irrelevant as if you get a good item you can sell it and use the gold to buy an equivalent or better piece for your class.

goldensun

So I took a few notes doing an Act I run. Went Cemetery - Field North of Tristram - Festering Woods - North Highlands - Leorics Manor and then did the Warden/Butcher run.

62 minutes,
4 goblins,
73 rares,
92000 gold after repairs and selling junk blues,
30000 from junk rares,
2 rares on the AH,

Plus whatever crafting materials (30+ essences), gems and potions. Not bad at all. I need to buy myself a MF weapon and a pair of +Mov and MF boots now to get it down quicker.
I've been doing this run for a few days (posted a link to it a while back but no one replied) and it's excellent. Plus it's actually fairly fun to do as well.

Without ANY MF gear on I got around 60 rares each run, with MF obviously closer to what you got. I even found my first set piece doing this run and a legendary yesterday! It's really a great run imo.

zoukka

I've gotten more fun out of the auction house than from the main game itself. One feels like it requires skills of many sorts and it doesn't feel like blizzard is guiding your every move...

Probably quitting pretty soon myself. The game is fun, but these farmville type of games suck too much time from you.

jersoc

They need additional time sinks that arent cockblocks to inferno progression. Its that simple.

This is why i think the challenge ladder is such a great idea. Its simple in nature so takes less time to implement than something involving a cohesive story, and adds a competitive element to the game.

an infinite dungeon type thing that keeps getting harder and harder would be ace imo. take the bosses already in the game and give them new affixes after so many levels.

QP3

Going to pick this up in a few days.

Any advantages/disadvantages to the digital version vs. retail?

Will either one allow me to install the game from blizzards website at anytime? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom