• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmdrWyrm

Neo Member
Going to pick this up in a few days.

Any advantages/disadvantages to the digital version vs. retail?

Will either one allow me to install the game from blizzards website at anytime? Thanks!

Once you register your key with your bnet account, you can install from blizzard's site whenever, whether you get the retail or not.

If you get the digital version, you're locked to the starter edition for 72 hours, though. If you want to go past the first boss or level 13 on any character faster than that, you should get the retail edition.

V_Arnold

an infinite dungeon type thing that keeps getting harder and harder would be ace imo. take the bosses already in the game and give them new affixes after so many levels.

Still can be implemented. Things will come. This is not even 1.1, after all. I know they did not plan on adding too much non-item content, but the amount of copies sold should steer the ship in a very different direction. We shall see.

There's a million things they could have done other than the current fuckup that is inferno.

You mean after Inferno? I fail to see how it is not a solid foundation for this new framework that is the gameplay-items-mob types trinity. It can be built upon, but it is a needed key part that had to be done first.

QP3

Once you register your key with your bnet account, you can install from blizzard's site whenever, whether you get the retail or not.

If you get the digital version, you're locked to the starter edition for 72 hours, though. If you want to go past the first boss or level 13 on any character faster than that, you should get the retail edition.

Oh yeah I remember hearing about the 72 hour lock...any estimate on how many hours of gameplay that would be?

jersoc

There's a million things they could have done other than the current fuckup that is inferno.

true enough

Still can be implemented. Things will come. This is not even 1.1, after all. I know they did not plan on adding too much non-item content, but the amount of copies sold should steer the ship in a very different direction. We shall see.

Yeah, I'm hoping we get something eventually. I've played pvp at blizzcon 2 years ago. it was ok. Judging by them delaying pvp I think they probably reworked the entire system. I hated wow's arenas and that's pretty much what diablo 3 pvp was.

LordCanti

Is this true? I thought the only restriction was on using the RMAH until 72 hours had passed.

Vodh

Oh yeah I remember hearing about the 72 hour lock...any estimate on how many hours of gameplay that would be?

I squeezed about 30-40 hours from the beta which was exactly the same content.

by creating about 40 characters and maxing about 8 of them out, in reality it's anywhere between 40min-2hours

QP3

I squeezed about 30-40 hours from the beta which was exactly the same content.

by creating about 40 characters and maxing about 8 of them out, in reality it's anywhere between 40min-2hours

Oh wow 30 hours is plenty of time!

there is no way I'll be happy with that restriction for 3 days

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If using the GAH you can remove the "appropriate class" variable. Also you don't need ilvl63 items to progress. Well rolled 61s and lots of 62s are fine as well. You also don't need great items in every slot to progress.

Let's be a little more realistic about the odds. The drop rate is fine...it should be a challenge.

The drop rate is not fine because it would take literally hundreds of hours of repeating elites. That's stale, boring and not fun. My opinion anyway. I die constantly in act 2, but act 1 is crazy easy (though I sometimes get rubberbanded to my unwarranted death in act 1). The items I need are being sold for crazy amounts of gold, and I have no means of obtaining such amounts of gold. The items I get do not sell for 200M, so I cannot exchange for the 200M items I need.

Maybe you don't have problems in act 2+ or you're better at pricing. Doesn't change to experience for me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The drop rate is not fine because it would take literally hundreds of hours of repeating elites. That's stale, boring and not fun. My opinion anyway. I die constantly in act 2, but act 1 is crazy easy. The items I need are being sold for crazy amounts of gold, and I have no means of obtaining such amounts of gold. The items I get do not sell for 200M, so I cannot exchange for the 200M items I need.

Maybe you don't have problems in act 2+ or you're better at pricing. Doesn't change to experience for me.

You really don't need 200m items to proceed.

teh_pwn

You really don't need 200m items to proceed.

Well the current equipment isn't doing it for me, and it's mostly 10-20M pieces. Maybe you can do fine without it, but I need better items to do act 2+.

an infinite dungeon type thing that keeps getting harder and harder would be ace imo. take the bosses already in the game and give them new affixes after so many levels.
This would be amazing. They don't even have to make a never ending dungeon, they could just make a game mode where you're placed in one of the game's already existing dungeons and when you reach an exit you're placed in another already existing dungeon, and it'd be a test to see how far you get considering all that can go wrong.

GJS

The drop rate is not fine. I die constantly in act 2, but act 1 is crazy easy. The items I need are being sold for crazy amounts of gold, and I have no means of obtaining such amounts of gold. The items I get do not sell for 200M, so I cannot exchange for the 200M items I need.

You don't need the best items and you don't need the items which people are overpricing. I haven't bought any overpriced items on the AH, it takes time to progress, you are not supposed to be instantly becoming better and able to progress within a day.

Go back 2 weeks and I was dying non-stop in inferno act 2 before 1.0.3, but I eventually worked out a build and obtained gear that allowed me to clear act 2 before 1.0.3. This build progressed into being able to farm act 2 comfortably pre-patch, then even more comfortably post patch. I then spent the past 5 days since 1.0.3 farming act 2, and every so often trying out act 3 and slowly progressing through it.

Today I managed to clear from machines of war in Act 3, all the way to taking down the first hell rift in Act 4. All because I spent some time farming, building up cash from exquisite essences, gold drops, good items rolls, and experimented with different skills that help progression.

RkOwnage

The problem with this game is it's reliance on the Auction House. You don't find good enough items after many hours of running the same content, so you get frustrated and buy the items. They are not going to change this unfortunately, because they WANT people to use RMAH and give them more money.

Greed > A Good game,

unfortunately, what we have is suffering from the above formula.

I hope Torchlight 2 is what Diablo 3 should have been, an improvement upon the formula Diablo 2 established and made fun. Reward > All else.

Just got to Belial in Act 2. I've actually been tanking stuff really really well with my monk: 810 res all, 44k hp, dodge aura + around 8k def with the def boost from my spirit regenerator.

The only problem is that the game just hits these "fun" walls that are just so fucking stupid. I was really enjoying Act 2 playing it with my friends. We've been able to play through it no problem. Then we got to belial and in the last... 30 seconds to 1 minute of fight, he enrages and we all die. 4 times in a row!

Then everybody went their way for the night and I'm stuck playing with a bunch of ungeared people in Act 2, which renders the game mostly unplayable. I can tank but most people just can't kill things fast enough.

So what do I go back to doing until I get them around? Butcher runs, which at this point are just plain boring.

I'm starting to have the thought to drop the game :p I might try Belial a few more times, but I'm sick of having to go around Blizzard's bad designs to have fun with the game.

teh_pwn

What build are you running/what class?

Wizard
40k dps
35k health
7200 armor (with energy shield)
1600 INT
1000 VIT

Die constantly in act 2. run into elites that block my path so I have to exit/resume game to proceed. Is it doable? Maybe. Not doing it though.

Wizard
40k dps
35k health
1600 INT
1000 VIT

Die constantly in act 2. run into elites that block my path so I have to exit/resume game to proceed. Is it doable? Maybe. Not doing it though.

Wizards get one shotted a lot. That's just what the class is.

On the same hand, it's kinda hard having a party with just a bunch of tanks and no wizz's :p

balddemon

Banned
i'm find with getting shit for items just about every run, because i have a run every so often that has 2-5 good items come out of it, whether they be upgrades or just not junk.

but what i don't like is the level cap. i think it would be nice if you could still level, even if there aren't any new runes or skills to unlock. would open the doors for stronger items, and your character would be stronger even if you couldn't find any upgrades, from the stat increases.

GJS

Just got to Belial in Act 2. I've actually been tanking stuff really really well with my monk: 810 res all, 44k hp, dodge aura + around 8k def with the def boost from my spirit regenerator.

The only problem is that the game just hits these "fun" walls that are just so fucking stupid. I was really enjoying Act 2 playing it with my friends. Then we got to belial and in the last... 30 seconds to 1 minute of fight, he enrages and we all die. 4 times in a row!

Then everybody went their way for the night and I'm stuck playing with a bunch of ungeared people in Act 2, which renders the game mostly unplayable. I can tank but most people just can't kill things fast enough.

So what do I go back to doing until I get them around? Butcher runs, which at this point are just plain boring.

I'm starting to have the thought to drop the game :p I might try Belial a few more times, but I'm sick of having to go around Blizzard's bad designs to have fun with the game.

Are those resists unbuffed? Or buffed by barb shout? You can solo act 2 with like 600 resists anyway. What skill build are you using?

LordCanti

Wizard
40k dps
35k health
1600 INT
1000 VIT

It sounds like you have plenty of gear already. O_O

Are those resists unbuffed? Or buffed by barb shout? You can solo act 2 with like 600 resists anyway. What skill build are you using?

Unbuffed :) I got 1200 resist with barb buff.

I can solo Act 2 no problem, it's just not too fun to do.

I just reaaaally wanna kill belial right now :B

CmdrWyrm

Neo Member
Is this true? I thought the only restriction was on using the RMAH until 72 hours had passed.

Yep. One of the changes in 1.03:

As of patch 1.0.3, when purchasing a digital version of Diablo III through the online store or your Battle.net Account, players are restricted to the Starter Edition for the first 72 hours (sometimes less). Players on Starter Editions have the following restrictions:
Act I up to the Skeleton King is available
Level 13 cap
Matchmaking available only with other Starter Edition players
No Auction House access (Real Money or Gold)
Global Play is not available. Players attempting to connect to Diablo III Starter Edition in a region other than their Battle.net Account's home region will receive Error 12. See the Global Play support article for more information.

I need help with a price check. I found a plan for Exalted Sovereign Helm with 4 properties. How much should I sell it for? AH says 0 trades in the last 10 days.

GJS

Unbuffed :) I got 1200 resist with barb buff.

I can solo Act 2 no problem, it's just not too fun to do.

I just reaaaally wanna kill belial right now :B

Have you killed him at all in inferno? solo?

I've yet to run into the enrage timer with him, even when 2 other people jump into my game.

I'm pretty much always farming act 2 right now, people on my friend list just jump in when they want to as well. Always ready to play with anyone from here as well.

GJS#1663

Whooter

Hey guys, I need a little help. Are either of these worth anything (RMAH or GAH) other than vendor gold or as salvage fodder?

Fo9pb.jpg

7s5ne.jpg

RivalCore

Halfway through Act IV. Good to see the difficultly level off at least. Should finish Inferno with my monk tomorrow evening, feels good brah!

EDIT:

My Staff of Herding is gone...

For people quitting (for the moment at least)...

PvP?

And while sure there almost certainly won't be new content in the form of new areas/acts until an expansion (possibly new pieces that fit into existing acts?), there will be mechanics changes/updates that should provide longevity.

It's not like WoW where there will be new new stuff every 4-6 months (current expansion drought aside.)

Seth C

I love getting 5 stacks of NV and immediately having Battle.net drop me. Fuck you. All the way back to Tower of the Damed floor 2 because there is no check point after destroying the damned heart. Seriously, fuck off. This game is enough of a struggle as it is without being shit on by disconnects.

Junie12

I finally managed to put on a decent MF gear set with 200+ MF.

I farmed Act 1 for a few hours and got tons of rares and a couple legendary. Most of them weren't anything special but a few of them fetch a pretty penny on the AH. Not a bad run if I say so myself. I'm gonna keep at it, this has been one of the most productive runs I had and I'm finally in the millions again.

Things are finally starting to look up for me again in this game, those couple of 20% MF gear that dropped for me might be my best drop in this game yet. I made so much money off those MF gear. Now to make some real money in the RMAH :)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Wizard
40k dps
35k health
1600 INT
1000 VIT

Pretty similar stats to my wizard and I beat inferno Diablo before the nerf with shittier equipment than I have now. I don't know how you could possibly have that much trouble with act 2 with those stats. Do you have 0 resists or something?

PvP?

And while sure there almost certainly won't be new content in the form of new areas/acts until an expansion (possibly new pieces that fit into existing acts?), there will be mechanics changes/updates that should provide longevity.

It's not like WoW where there will be new new stuff every 4-6 months (current expansion drought aside.)

The problem is there isn't any variation in the form of builds. It's so obvious what each class is looking for in gear there is nothing in the way of customization (even more so now with everyone stacking crit chance/damage).

What are people supposed to exactly?

What routes are you going when farming? Here's the one I've been running today:

Watchtower -> Festering Woods -> Graveyard -> Leoric's manor -> Clear Northern Highlands. Rinse and repeat.

It's been working pretty well so far as I get about an inventory full of rares when I'm done in about 20 minutes. Any suggestions on other places to go after while I have 5NV stacks?

LordCanti

PvP?

I sold off too much gear to really PvP in an arena where the opponent knows I'm coming and is ready for me in his RMAH finery (that I was happy enough to sell him).

Last sold thing must be busted, sold 2 for 800 each. Only took about a minute for both to sell too.

Awww yeah, I'm going to pocket the 4000 gold from selling all five of mine, and buy myself something nice.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
There is a reason that nobody has traded it in the last 10 days, and it isn't because it is super rare.

Last sold thing must be busted, sold 2 for 800 each. Only took about a minute for both to sell too.

Watchtower -> Festering Woods -> Graveyard -> Leoric's manor -> Clear Northern Highlands. Rinse and repeat.

It's been working pretty well so far as I get about an inventory full of rares when I'm done in about 20 minutes. Any suggestions on other places to go after while I have 5NV stacks?

Watchtower -> Graveyard -> Festering Woods -> Northern Highlands -> Leoric's Manor -> Halls of Agony, stop before Butcher.

The Halls of Agony have a bunch of Elites down there, and the Warden is really easy to kill for a boss.

Why not finish the warden/butcher run?

For the Butcher, I feel he takes to long to be worth it. In the time it takes to kill him, you could have already cleared out the Watchtower again on the next run.

RivalCore

Why not finish the warden/butcher run?

BigDug13

PvP?

Not even in the same league of content. Each faction had different quests, each race had different starting cities with different quests. If you leveled up 5 classes, their journey was wildly different. This type of game is super repetitive content-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom