• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

syko de4d

Jesus fucking Christ that all sounds awesome as hell. Its a real shame about PoE. Im part of the problem that I sort of hate. I wont even bother loading the games webpage to read about the type of game it is until I know it has a massive playerbase. And by massive I mean MASSIVE. Its all about the incredibly active community for me. Contributing the problem :/

It will have a big Playersbase, not D3 big but big. But right now we are in Closed Beta, 1,5 Months away from a complete Char reset and Open beta. Wait until August, when every1 can play 4 free and GGG starts with advertising the Game.

And the Online System from PoE creates a much better Community feeling and for example:

U can play with everyone on the World and still has a 30er Ping. When a EU Player plays with an US Player the player who creates the instance first will have the 30er Ping, the other player will have a worse ping. This is Global Play ;)

And u don´t log out to start a new Sessions, there are towns where other players are.

And u need to trade with other players -> Talk with other Players

V_Arnold

If only POE gameplay would be as dynamic as Diablo III's can be sometimes...*sighs*
Also, I will go back to it sometimes this summer, but I cringe every time when the general chat is filled with Blizz-hater comments. Every single time. And it happens all the time. Hardcore mode is only slightly better in this regard.

I found a thread on d2jsp a few days ago where someone had compiled a list of level 63 item names but I can't for the life of me find the thread again. Anyone has that or another list?

I think I found something here......

WUGyn.png

Thoughts on what to put it up for?

Geeze, I searched the int, vit and crit and there were only a handful of other one handers with that much of each and mine would be the highest DPS........but didn't see many bids =/

Might as well wait for the maintenance to end before listing it

After testing almost all notable Diablo clones starting from Nox I'll remain sceptical because in the end even if they can beat Blizzard at one or two aspects the sum of parts added together never matches to orginal.

V_Arnold

After testing almost all notable Diablo clones starting from Nox I'll remain sceptical because in the end even if they can beat Blizzard at one or two aspects the sum of parts added together never matches to orginal.

Yep. There are one or two ideas that are amazing, but the gameplay....the gameplay stays in Blizzard's court. Diablo III managed to do that as well, and it can expand on it greatly. We shall see.

Jira

Including Diablo 3. :/

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRN. Sadly, you're right. Blizzard got everything right but the one thing that matters most (the loot). Never in a million years did I see them screwing up the one thing no one else but them got right in the past decade. I guess that's what happens when only a handful of people who made Blizzard's legacy even works there anymore.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRN. Sadly, you're right. Blizzard got everything right but the one thing that matters most (the loot). Never in a million years did I see them screwing up the one thing no one else but them got right in the past decade. I guess that's what happens when only a handful of people who made Blizzard's legacy even works there anymore.

See I suck because to fix loot I would add WAY more affixes, but people would complain it's too hard to get perfect pieces because of it. Not sure what you could do.

GJS

See I suck because to fix loot I would add WAY more affixes, but people would complain it's too hard to get perfect pieces because of it. Not sure what you could do.

Nothing, the loot is shit in every game.

Blizzard will slowly add more stuff as they did with D2, they had to keep something for the expansions, but the loot will still be crap.

Jira

I'd add more affix types too, more fun ones rather than here's your primary stat, all resist and maybe some vit or chance to crit/crit dmg.

Reduce cooldowns.
Potions heals more.
Potion cool down.
Let certain affixes go on all pieces (like crit on chest pieces).
"NV" lite that puts both mf/gf up a smaller amount on one affix.

Weapons that can cast spells on hit like Diablo 2.

That's off the top of my head =/

V_Arnold

But that is what Blizzard is doing, I think.

I was thinking about loot and how to help those that have OCD complexes or come from WoW where loot is stable and solid (vit+mainstat+useful stats only, pretty much), and had an idea where any lv62 or 63 item can have a "Refined" prefix in their names which means that they have affix groups and it is impossible to have stuff like +int, +dex, +str, or +health range +thorns +life per second +bonus exp to be on them together, but in exchange, the stats would range around 15-20% lower than on non-refined items.

Then I realized that Blizzard has this very same idea, except that they call them legendaries. And this idea sucks on weapon slots, and can be great on armors.

Buffing legendary stats will solve this partially, but really the nature of these type of games suggest that once predictability is in it, the game loses its long-term potential very, very quickly.

Reduce cooldowns.
Potions heals more.
Potion cool down.
Let certain affixes go on all pieces (like crit on chest pieces).
"NV" lite that puts both mf/gf up a smaller amount on one affix.

Weapons that can cast spells on hit like Diablo 2.

That's off the top of my head =/

These would result in a lot more useless items, yeah. Like +health, +potions, +thorns, +life on hit, +life per second, +exp on kill - and bam, you got 6 affixes on a lv63 godlike rare, yaay :D Anyway. My ideas:

-Skill powerup affix (IT IS THERE! BLIZZARD HAS IT! 7-split Magic Missile, here we go!)
-Increased time for self-buffs (the polar opposite of decreased time for root, for example)
-Hits have an y% chance to create a shield around you, absorbing x damage (does not stack but can be reset)*
-Hits have an y% chance to increase your attack speed by x percent for z seconds (does not stack but can be reset)*
-Hits have an y% chance to increase your crit chance by x percent for z seconds (does not stack but can be reset)*
-Hits have an y% chance to give you life leech properties - x percent for z seconds (does not stack but can be reset)*
*wanna get crazy? Let us add a more powerful version of this on legendaries, stacking n times. Does not stack with light version of the same

Neki

I still can't get over the elemental effect removal. It's truly dumbing things down no matter what angle you look it from.

Makes sense, the affixs would have to be extremely overpowered or have no effect at all, because any useful affix would have to take a hit in it's damage range, making it less used than other higher damage mods. I don't know how they could have fixed it really.

syko de4d

the problem with the loot in d3 starts with the skillsystem in D3.

The Skill System is so simple, for the most time u can nearly use the items for every Build of a class.
E.g. u only need one good bow/xbow, it will the best for every DH spec.

In D2 or new games like PoE u creat dozen of Builds and u need dozen of different items, thats why the player finds more often items he really need.

These would result in a lot more useless items, yeah. Like +health, +potions, +thorns, +life on hit, +life per second, +exp on kill - and bam, you got 6 affixes on a lv63 godlike rare, yaay :D Anyway.

That's what *I* want though. I like loot. I'd add way more things like that but also up the drop rate. It'd be a more intense loot lottery.

But for whatever reason I can tell the average player wants to just up the drop rate so they can all 'win'. Which is the complete opposite of any idea of Diablo I had coming into 3. It's no wonder we have hand holding tutorials and more casual focused games when most people just want to 'win' instantly.

V_Arnold

the problem with the loot in d3 starts with the skillsystem in D3.

The Skill System is so simple, for the most time u can nearly use the items for every Build of a class.
E.g. u only need one good bow/xbow, it will the best for every DH spec.

In D2 or new games like PoE u creat dozen of Builds and u need dozen of different items, thats why the player finds more often items he really need.

Except that this is not true at all. There are build where you need slower weapons, builds where you need faster weapons, builds based around mitigation (with according gear), builds based around LOH/CC effects, builds based around IAS and kiting, etc.

The thing is that until we have got people who are
a) ready to REALLY explore ideas on their own
b) Have the proper and really good gears to explore these ideas fully
c) ready to share it with the community and not stay silent about it,

Until then, people will flock into the most subtle, general build with vit+all res+main stat+crit/Ias. That is not a problem of the loot system, it is a result of people not having any proper gear, let alone backup gears.

Shadow780

Act 3 hell starting with siegebreaker quest and going back through the bridge
also
Act 1 inferno is giving me around 200k/h with my 200% GF gear plus all the zylions of yellow items per run plus inferno materials from salvage :)

Thank you, is Hell too hard for a full GF gear?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Diablo 2 had zero predictability in it. You could farm forever and still not find what you are looking for, if you did not trade.
Well, except for runes, but really, I dare you to upgrade all the way to the "top" on a ladder from El runes :p

You were talking about buffing legendaries and the detriments to having them be more predictable. Diablo 2 uniques were both powerful and predictable.

zoukka

Makes sense, the affixs would have to be extremely overpowered or have no effect at all, because any useful affix would have to take a hit in it's damage range, making it less used than other higher damage mods. I don't know how they could have fixed it really.

I don't buy this. What would be the loss if some elementals would be more popular than others? Isn't that the whole point of them. You get less damage, but something useful in return that supports your build.

V_Arnold

You were talking about buffing legendaries and the detriments to having them be more predictable. Diablo 2 uniques were both powerful and predictable.

No, that sentence is messy, so it was my fault. At the but part, I switched my sentence towards predictability overall, not regarding buffing Legendaries. That is great. The predictability I was talking about is something along the lines of demanding really good items after every run just because you want that if you have put x hours into it.

V_Arnold

I still can't get over the elemental effect removal. It's truly dumbing things down no matter what angle you look it from.

This is what happens when you take part of a system and compare it to another part of a totally different system. Elemental stats were more core to Diablo II's system where you needed those in the first place sometimes, to deal damage to elemental immune groups. Elemental immunity played a strong part in that game, and it is not present in this one. So it is not dumbing down.

Neki

I don't buy this. What would be the loss if some elementals would be more popular than others? Isn't that the whole point of them. You get less damage, but something useful in return that supports your build.

Play-testing showed that people didn't care for elemental types though, only raw DPS. Cold damage has one of the most useful properties, yet it's underutilized because no one is willing to take a dps drop to use it. Would you sacrifice 100 dps for a reliable snare on your attacks?

V_Arnold

Play-testing showed that people didn't care for elemental types though, only raw DPS. Cold damage has one of the most useful properties, yet it's underutilized because no one is willing to take a dps drop to use it. Would you sacrifice 100 dps for a reliable snare on your attacks?

I would if I used a kite build. (But of course I know that it is not the point : D)

Cipherr

I nabbed a helm that seems pretty insane. Put it up for a 1m starting bid and buyout of 20m. Its up to 3m so far and thats more than enough to satisfy me as is. I almost sold it for a 1m buyout.

So about that helm I mentioned above, it sold already.

Cgdyp.jpg

Im playing my Barb right now and I didnt even think it was worth anywhere near that much. I was thinking 3m, but someone paid 20 for it, and swiftly. Looks like I under priced it if it didnt even manage to last a day before being bought out. Ill take it though. Get to around 25 million and buy another single item for my barb...... one piece at a time man, one piece at a time.

OTOH Act 2 farming has been really good to me. Gotten so many items that have sold so well. Really hope its not nerfed before I get Act 3 ready. I just needs about half a week at this pace lol.

Morokh

This is what happens when you take part of a system and compare it to another part of a totally different system. Elemental stats were more core to Diablo II's system where you needed those in the first place sometimes, to deal damage to elemental immune groups. Elemental immunity played a strong part in that game, and it is not present in this one. So it is not dumbing down.

and how removing a feature is not dumbing down a game ? ...

Their poor excuse of "No one cared because they always looked for high DPS" is just another proof of their poor game design, and how they did nothing to improve it.

Neki

I would if I used a kite build. (But of course I know that it is not the point : D)

I think Wizards and DHs get alone fine without having to use a cold weapon to kite.

I will admit that cold weapon is amazing on followers, but that's because no one cares about the dps of their followers. 500 less dps on a follower for a perma-snare is worth it.

Their poor excuse of "No one cared because they always looked for high DPS" is just another proof of their poor game design, and how they did nothing to improve it.
Well it is true. The most expensive weapons are the ones with the highest dps or most valuable effects (which does not include cold affix, because the damage roll on cold is much too low to reach high levels of dps)

zoukka

On a WD, fuck yes I would.

And this is exactly the dumbing down I was talking about. You take away something from the game, not because it's broken, but because (bohoo) players flock to high dps. How is this a bad thing again? How do those effects make their life any worse, it would only increase the diversity of items and make the auctioning of weapons less homogenized.

Now they might as well just remove the elemental damage from the game because it's only cosmetic besides cold, which was bizarrly left in for some reason...

Including Diablo 3. :/

Diablo 3 is lot more enjoyable for me - difficulty levels are challenging and loot is miles better in D2 plus AH makes trading much much easier with universal currency of gold being easily accessible in game than compared to shouting in trade rooms and using some weird runes.

Neki

On a WD, fuck yes I would.

And this is exactly the dumbing down I was talking about. You take away something from the game, not because it's broken, but because (bohoo) players flock to high dps. How is this a bad thing again? How do those effects make their life any worse, it would only increase the diversity of items and make the auctioning of weapons less homogenized.

Now they might as well just remove the elemental damage from the game because it's only cosmetic besides cold, which was bizarrly left in for some reason...

Well then the option of cold weapons are still available to you if you still value it. To 95% of all other players, they'll always take the high dps. I guess Blizzard didn't feel comfortable leaving in a system that would only be utilized by a small % of the population. Why? who knows.

GJS

I think Wizards and DHs get alone fine without having to use a cold weapon to kite.

I will admit that cold weapon is amazing on followers, but that's because no one cares about the dps of their followers. 500 less dps on a follower for a perma-snare is worth it.

Well it is true. The most expensive weapons are the ones with the highest dps or most valuable effects (which does not include cold affix, because the damage roll on cold is much too low to reach high levels of dps)

1H cold weps can still roll close to 1k+ dps which is pretty high dps.

The highest of the high for the other 1h affixes are like 1.3k and those are gonna take a while to start building up in the game.

theta11

Another limiting aspect of Diablo 3 is the power of gear. We basically don't have any primary stats and the only purpose of level is to unlock abilities. By having so much primary stats on the gear and not on the characters there's almost no way for the gear to be varied without adding even more RNG. To be honest there really isn't much Blizzard can do to remedy this until an expansion because it's a flaw at the core of the game.

zoukka

Well then the option of cold weapons are still available to you if you still value it. To 95% of all other players, they'll always take the high dps. I guess Blizzard didn't feel comfortable leaving in a system that would only be utilized by a small % of the population. Why? who knows.

I do.

DSmalls84

So I saw the comments from balshiok. Do you guys think that ilvl63 items will be removed from acts I &II again? It would really suck if they did. Im just now starting to make decent gold and im sitting at 5 mil now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

That they don't design their game to teach players that there are benefits to certain affixes despite the DPS numbers is a bit disheartening. Good players who like to experiment will use them, dumbass players won't. When the good players write guides that specifically state the usefulness of certain affixes, the dumb players will flock to them.

V_Arnold

And what feature is that, exactly?
We can compare the two systems to no end, but really, at the end of the day, it boils down to this:

Let us look at the Wizard, for example. He has a passive that makes mobs take more damage (10%, for 3 sec) if they take fire damage.

Now, this passive is pretty much a guaranteed slot if the +fire dps on weapons counts. Therefore, you could check out Wizard builds and see that every passive suggestions will include an "oh, of course you take that" for Conflag.

Without this, you actually need to think if you want to use that Passive. You have four choices: Familiar with fire damage, Fire Hydra, Fire-type Meteor or the Fire Bolts signature rune. Not all builds will be able to utilize this passive, and some might not even want to, even if they run a fire-based spell.

All this gets nullified if Fire on your weapon would be made into all your attacks. Where is that depth again, then?

zoukka

So I saw the comments from balshiok. Do you guys think that ilvl63 items will be removed from acts I &II again? It would really suck if they did. Im just now starting to make decent gold and im sitting at 5 mil now.

If it would be true, two things would happen no?

1. The price of those items would rise due to them being found less frequently.
2. The wall to get to the later acts in inferno would grow greatly.
(3. RMAH would gain more popularity lulz)

All this gets nullified if Fire on your weapon would be made into all your attacks. Where is that depth again, then?

No, when the elemental weapons have less DPS, you actually have more things to consider when trying to balance a most effective build around. Would I use an elemental weapon and skills with the passive, or just skills and a higher dps weapon.

And you completely skipped the passive effects of the elemental damage, which would play a big role in developing builds.

Morokh

To be honest there really isn't much Blizzard can do to remedy this until an expansion because it's a flaw at the core of the game.

my point exactly : Poor game design

And is it me or is the AH just crashing ?
Gold is less and less valuable and item prices just skyrocket because of that.

I was looking to buy some rings like two weeks back that were in the 2,5 Mil range, and when I look today prices just went up 3 times for the same stats.
Thing is I did not have the money two weeks back, and now that I have it i still can't afford them ....

Thing is, before you were 100% more likely to get ilevel 63 drops in Acts 3/4. Most likely they didn't even keep a record of the likelihood of the actual drops themselves in those Acts. Just to make it look nice and neat they threw the 'twice as likely in Act 2 and 3 times more likely in Acts 3 and 4' which was just some bullshit.

I don't think they'll touch Act 1 because the uproar would be too much to handle. People still need to be properly geared to farm Act 3. Act 2 gear doesn't cut it from my experience. They'll probably just bump it up to about 15-20%. If I had to guess it was around 20 before.

Every Siegebreaker run dropped at least 1 ilevel 63 rare, shitty as it was. It was practically guaranteed though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom