• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

That they don't design their game to teach players that there are benefits to certain affixes despite the DPS numbers is a bit disheartening. Good players who like to experiment will use them, dumbass players won't. When the good players write guides that specifically state the usefulness of certain affixes, the dumb players will flock to them.

I don't see anyone writing guides on the usefulness of the cold affix for player characters yet, and that's probably the most useful affix. :p

Totakeke

And what feature is that, exactly?
We can compare the two systems to no end, but really, at the end of the day, it boils down to this:

Let us look at the Wizard, for example. He has a passive that makes mobs take more damage (10%, for 3 sec) if they take fire damage.

Now, this passive is pretty much a guaranteed slot if the +fire dps on weapons counts. Therefore, you could check out Wizard builds and see that every passive suggestions will include an "oh, of course you take that" for Conflag.

Without this, you actually need to think if you want to use that Passive. You have four choices: Familiar with fire damage, Fire Hydra, Fire-type Meteor or the Fire Bolts signature rune. Not all builds will be able to utilize this passive, and some might not even want to, even if they run a fire-based spell.

All this gets nullified if Fire on your weapon would be made into all your attacks. Where is that depth again, then?

Did you happen to read the skill descriptions which some says deal % weapon damage and some says deal weapon damage as x elemental? Maybe you don't, because due to elemental damage (aside from cold) being the same, they pretty much meant nothing to most players. Those that said deal x% weapon damage were supposed to be the skills that could adapt to the element on your weapon (and they do).

Their excuse is bullshit anyway. Elemental differences is like one the basic things every people who played some sort of rpg would understand. Making them essentially no different from each other is probably more confusing than not.

They just didn't have time to implement the system, pure and simple. You think they put in all those effort into describing skills in detail just for the fun of confusing players?

I don't see anyone writing guides on the usefulness of the cold affix for player characters yet, and that's probably the most useful affix. :p

I do actually have some cold bows to sell...

eek5

So I saw the comments from balshiok. Do you guys think that ilvl63 items will be removed from acts I &II again? It would really suck if they did. Im just now starting to make decent gold and im sitting at 5 mil now.

No. He clarified when someone asked that the change would be a buff to a3/4.

Morokh

And what feature is that, exactly?
We can compare the two systems to no end, but really, at the end of the day, it boils down to this:

Let us look at the Wizard, for example. He has a passive that makes mobs take more damage (10%, for 3 sec) if they take fire damage.

Now, this passive is pretty much a guaranteed slot if the +fire dps on weapons counts. Therefore, you could check out Wizard builds and see that every passive suggestions will include an "oh, of course you take that" for Conflag.

Without this, you actually need to think if you want to use that Passive. You have four choices: Familiar with fire damage, Fire Hydra, Fire-type Meteor or the Fire Bolts signature rune. Not all builds will be able to utilize this passive, and some might not even want to, even if they run a fire-based spell.

All this gets nullified if Fire on your weapon would be made into all your attacks. Where is that depth again, then?

Those skills you talk about were designed with the system we are playing now in mind, they certainly would have been quite different and maybe not even implemented in the game if they had somehow kept weapon elemental damage into account and made it useful.

eek5

It's kind of messed up because a lot of skills override its effects. I think that's the main reason why people would flock towards highest dps in playtesting; a lot of the time the elemental type wouldn't even make a difference.

DSmalls84

Thing is, before you were 100% more likely to get ilevel 63 drops in Acts 3/4. Most likely they didn't even keep a record of the likelihood of the actual drops themselves in those Acts. Just to make it look nice and neat they threw
the 'twice as likely in Act 2 and 3 times more likely in Acts 3 and 4' which was just some bullshit.

I don't think they'll touch Act 1 because the uproar would be too much to handle. People still need to be properly geared to farm Act 3. Act 2 gear doesn't cut it from my experience. They'll probably just bump it up to about 15-20%. If I had to guess it was around 20 before.

Every Siegebreaker run dropped at least 1 ilevel 63 rare, shitty as it was. It was practically guaranteed though

Im fine with Act III and IV getting increased drop rates and for the increased risk of death you should get greater incentives. I farm Act 1 and 2 knowing they have lower drop rates but also knowing im not going to die. I could probably farm Act III ok but i dont feel like I could consistently do it without dieing any.

Totakeke

It's kind of messed up because a lot of skills override its effects. I think that's the main reason why people would flock towards highest dps in playtesting; a lot of the time the elemental type wouldn't even make a difference.

Which is fine really. I don't mind DHs and Barbarians essentially be the ranged and melee weapon masters respectively that would be the ones mostly utilizing elemental differences on weapons in their skills. Weapon switching be cool.

Also, why would anyone argue against having elemental differences and at the same time complain that Diablo 3's loot lack variety?

Thank you, is Hell too hard for a full GF gear?

Depends what you call GF gear ;)

I have fully build my DH with equip that has GF on everything except boots and 2 rings so i have now 200 GF with 3500 armor, 360+ resists and 32k dps.

So i'm farming inferno A1 and even finished A2 before nerf but can't farm it apart from goblin.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

There have been forum posts on the official forums, on reddit, on strategy forums of fansites about the usefulness of cold damage.

is it true that its only gonna be a 2 hour downtime? of course I don't exactly except the servers to be up in 2 hours, but anytime before I have to go to sleep would be cool.

No. He clarified when someone asked that the change would be a buff to a3/4.

He really did nothing of the sort. His clarification was that act 3 and 4 would be buffed, nothing about 1 and 2. People are just assuming this because they think it makes sense. It does make sense, but this is the blizz that buffed acts 1 and 2 by removing the loot from 3 and 4. Not sure how or why people are leaping to these conclusions given that he specifically said that they made an error and were now reverting it. Ie: the error being the changes to all act loot. If you read what he said, they are committed to not increasing the overall loot in the economy. Given this, it's pretty hard to believe that they won't "take" the loot they are buffing in 3 and 4 from 1 and 2.

eek5

He really did nothing of the sort. His clarification was that act 3 and 4 would be buffed, nothing about 1 and 2. People are just assuming this because they think it makes sense. It does make sense, but this is the blizz that buffed acts 1 and 2 by removing the loot from 3 and 4. Not sure how or why people are leaping to these conclusions given that he specifically said that they made an error and were now reverting it. Ie: the error being the changes to all act loot. If you read what he said, they are committed to not increasing the overall loot in the economy. Given this, it's pretty hard to believe that they won't "take" the loot they are buffing in 3 and 4 from 1 and 2.

I think you're just reading it the way you want to read it. The person asks if the intention was to nerf drops and he says "No. Buff".

CngLO.png

I think you're just reading it the way you want to read it. The person asks if the intention was to nerf drops and he says "No. Buff".

CngLO.png

Nothing in that quote gives any real information at all. It is pretty clear in fact that he is talking about the last 2 acts. At BEST it's clear they are buffing 3 and 4, but anyone who says they know what they are doing with 1 or 2 is just guessing.

foladar

CngLO.png

And he also stated "But no, we're not nerfing drops" in his later post. Seems to me they aren't nerfing drops, but we'll see later this week.

eek5

Nothing in that quote gives any real information at all. It is pretty clear in fact that he is talking about the last 2 acts. At BEST it's clear they are buffing 3 and 4, but anyone who says they know what they are doing with 1 or 2 is just guessing.

Why would the question he is responding to refer to act 3 and 4 at all? So someone is asking about A1/2 and he responds by saying they're buffing A3/4? The fuck?

It's pretty clear to me that he is responding "no we're not nerfing A1/2, we're buffing a3/4". Read into it however you want though man.

Why would the question he is responding to refer to act 3 and 4 at all? So someone is asking about A1/2 and he responds by saying they're buffing A3/4? The fuck?

It's pretty clear to me that he is responding "no we're not nerfing A1/2, we're buffing a3/4". Read into it however you want though man.

We'll see. All I'm saying is that itst unclear, and in the only place he spoke in detail, it was pretty clear they are standing by the design philosophy of static amounts of loot across all the acts. Hence why buffing act one nerfed act three in the first place....and he literally just reiterated that rationale last night.

Also don't forget they called 1.03 a buff and denied the act 3 and 4 nerf right consistently until...last night.

aznpxdd

Eh...we'll see when the patch goes live, but I think what chazao saying makes sense. According to the blue posts, they don't want to increase the overall loot, just move the drop rates around...

linsivvi

Not sure if this was already posted, its pretty old. I just saw it while looking at the new patch notes and its pretty funny. Hardcore one is pretty fucked up, but still funny

We Bought A Zoo!

We Bought a Zoo Part 2: Hardcore Edition

It's lame as hell. All those people lost their characters for his own amusement, and then he scammed that person for all his gold.

What's the fastest way to get a new character from 0-60?

Find somebody who also wants to level a new character and take turn doing Act 3 Hell with their level 60.

Anustart

It's like christmas morning. Auction on my sword should have ended about an hour ago and was up to 125$ last I checked around midnight, did it go higher?

And my bears being fixed too?! Thank you Blizz!

DSmalls84

Right now my chest piece has 140 vit and 80 str with 20 resist all. I'm guessing if I'm going to upgrade to at least 50 resist all, I'm going to need to pick a piece that has either high Str or Vit. Looking at the GAH it seems like if I get both i'll have trouble staying under the 5 mil gold I have. Ideally I want to get shoulders and a shield as well.

It's lame as hell. All those people lost their characters for his own amusement, and then he scammed that person for all his gold.

I agree, its terrible. at the same time it reminds me of the hilarious Starcraft/Starcraft 2 BM image threads that I love looking at. I know it shouldn't be funny but I can't help it

Acidote

Dex gloves with all+arcane resistances. Big numbers.

I set it with a 2k bid, just to check it out without a buyout price. Expires.
Same gloves set with a 650 buyout price. Sold as soon as I put them for sale.

Geniuses.

Is there cap on melee dmg % reduction? i just bought a 16% string of ears off ah for a million and have a melee wizard that uses Blur passive (20% melee dmg reduction) so:

16% belt
20% passive
5 or 6% bracers i forget
5 or 6% chest i forget
what am i missing

eek5

Is there cap on melee dmg % reduction? i just bought a 16% string of ears off ah for a million and have a melee wizard that uses Blur passive (20% melee dmg reduction) so:

16% belt
20% passive
5 or 6% bracers i forget
5 or 6% chest i forget
what am i missing

The only thing is that it doesn't stack additively. For example if you have 20% belt and add 6% shield you won't get a total of 26% mDR. It'll take 20% off and then 6% more off the 80% left so the total mDR would be 24.8%, not 26%.

I don't know if that's true for the passive as well but the more you stack the less effective it gets. That's not to say that adding another 6% won't help but it won't be as good as the first 6%.

zou

So about todays patch: I just hope they leave watch tower, festering woods and leorics mansion alone. Only part of Act 1 that doesn't feel like a chore.

V_Arnold

So, about those gold issues, son...

My girlfriend found this last night, and gave it to me because I needed an upgrade (and she's been using the Dead Man's Legacy I found for weeks :p):

CAvlL.jpg

This morning, however, I have found this beast, just seconds after I started contemplating how to get a few hundred dexterity for doubling dodge chance. This is tank Wizard's HEAVEN:

NM7uU.jpg

Funny that the Int makes the 814 dps being 1k stronger than the 910 dps one, so yeah..I can only imagine what it does to monk dps...

I wonder how much these are worth :D

luxarific

Nork unification denier
That's kinda awesome. Terrible at the same time, but the write up is fantastic.

Isn't this the same guy that killed that gaffer's level 60 HC character when the gaffer went afk in town? It's somewhere back in this thread.

Doing it with SC toons is mildly funny. Doing it with toons that people have spent several days in real time leveling and are irretrievable upon death? This asshole is a major dick. I hope he gets reported to Blizzard and his account is banned.

aznpxdd

So, about those gold issues, son...

My girlfriend found this last night, and gave it to me because I needed an upgrade (and she's been using the Dead Man's Legacy I found for weeks :p):

CAvlL.jpg

This morning, however, I have found this beast, just seconds after I started contemplating how to get a few hundred dexterity for doubling dodge chance. This is tank Wizard's HEAVEN:

NM7uU.jpg

Funny that the Int makes the 814 dps being 1k stronger than the 910 dps one, so yeah..I can only imagine what it does to monk dps...

I wonder how much these are worth :D

I wish I could buy the 2nd one from you, but I'm too poor :(

Risible

Not sure if this was already posted, its pretty old. I just saw it while looking at the new patch notes and its pretty funny. Hardcore one is pretty fucked up, but still funny

We Bought A Zoo!

We Bought a Zoo Part 2: Hardcore Edition

What a fucking douche. Don't give asshats like this guy hits for being a griefing cock. It's because of fuckheads like this that I never play hardcore. Well, and Blizzard's shitty netcode :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom