• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

Haha, did they actually nerf elite mobs now too? I have never seen black canyon mines area without a single mob and that's my most played farming starting area.

Black Canyon Mines is my favorite area for Act 2 farming. Small area, usually spawns 3 groups of elites.

Except that time when I used the way point and have all 3 groups spawned right next to it.

GJS

You can actually sacrifice a bit of your resist. You've reached the point of diminishing return.

At 600 res it's 67% damage reduction while at 800 res it's around 73%. That extra 6% is nice and all but even at 600 res you can tank Diablo easily. It's better to be able to kill mobs faster with as much LOH/regen as you can get.

You do need more HP though.

There is no point of diminishing returns, the percent that each resist point increases the displayed value is reduced, but it still substantially decreases damage.

rCIZZLE

You won't be hit by other monsters if you don't vault into a pack of them. Nor will you get hit by quicker attacks and speed if you're never in range of them melee attacking. Use vault to put and keep distance between you and enemies. Certain affixes suck for any build, you avoid them or adapt to them in some way.

They're not forcing you to do anything. You don't have to use vault. However, if you're going to use it you have to use it properly, and that's understanding how it is best used. Using vault to try to escape as a mob is right on top of you and you're milliseconds away from taking damage.

The combat is amazing and quite fantastic. Are there some things that need to be tweaked? Sure, but it's still great. What isn't fantastic in your scenario is that it would seem you're not using the skill to maximize it's potential which is frustrating because intuitively it should work a different way.

I don't vault into a pack of them expecting not to get hit and I never said. Yes, you do get hit by quicker attacks if they run right up and attack, surround me, corner me, or hit me while being attacked by abilities from elites. I use vault to dodge a slow attack which the animation of the game says should work.

Yes, they're forcing me to not dodge attacks but instead stay as far away as possible (but not too far or the elites will full regen health). Said this several times but this isn't limited to vault or the demon hunter character at all. It's with all characters. You can be hit while walking away from the animation hitbox. Btw, I am using vault properly. It's a quick move that, according to animations, can be used to dodge attacks.

so an amulet with 125 STR and 6% crit hit chance wouldnt happen to be worth anything, would it? i havent been keeping up with what things go for and i just hit inferno so everything looks good.

TommyT

It seems like I have to break this down, because there's some disconnect:

I don't vault into a pack of them expecting not to get hit and I never said.
Ok, I never said you did. I'm simply saying if you don't do this, you won't get hit from a melee attack - if you're out of range of melee, you won't be hit by melee.

Yes, you do get hit by quicker attacks if they run right up and attack, surround me, corner me, or hit me while being attacked by abilities from elites.
Of course you're going to be hit by a melee attack if you're in melee range. I never said otherwise. I did say " Nor will you get hit by quicker attacks and speed if you're never in range of them melee attacking." It seems you misunderstood that.

I use vault to dodge a slow attack which the animation of the game says should work.
You're using the skill wrong. That isn't how it's (vault) supposed to work per the design of the game. To your bolded: I've explained why what the animation says and how the actual design differs. Bashiok explicitly stated the difference as well.

Yes, they're forcing me to not dodge attacks but instead stay as far away as possible (but not too far or the elites will full regen health). Said this several times but this isn't limited to vault or the demon hunter character at all. It's with all characters. You can be hit while walking away from the animation hitbox. Btw, I am using vault properly. It's a quick move that, according to animations, can be used to dodge attacks.

Right, they're forcing you to avoid attacks. You can't dodge a melee attack (unless you "dodge" via dex) once that attack has been initiated on you by simply moving further away than melee range. That is by design, you're free to not like it, but that's by design. I understand the thought behind "I'm further way than melee, so I shouldn't be hit by melee" as it works in other games. However it isn't the case in this game, and unfortunately you have to play by this games rules.

Woo-Fu

Banned
What is your farm route for Act II? I have seen a few for Act 1 posted but not many for Act 2.

black canyon - 2-3 elites around waypoint
road to alcarnus - over bridge into town 1-2 elites
khasim outpost - 1 elite to south
sewers - 1-2 elites
vault of assassins - LOTS of elites, lol.

I've got the game setup so that when I start a new game I'm already in the vault so I don't have to find it in the wastes each time. At start I tp to town then use the waypoints for the first 4 stops and then take the TP back to vault to clean up in there.

The Vault has an ungodly amount of elites in it.

scy

I actually like the fact I can't dodge melee attacks by simply stepping out of the way. I know I'd try to min/max it too hard and I'd dance out of the way for every little thing and I'd hate myself for doing it.

Dahbomb

You can dodge SOME attack, most importantly the big slow ones like the Dark Berserker ones do. The regular melee attacks however you have no chance against other than stunning them out of it or using your defensive skill right on time.

LordCanti

Finally got a bid of $15 on that Dex Andy after listing like four times unsuccessfully. There's at least one person playing this game.

Edit: Dat SS.

I was co-opping with SquidyJ (I think) when a legendary shield dropped for him. We all went "BEEEE STORMSHIELDDDDD" and it was a shitty Ivory Tower ;_;

Revoh

That's a nice SS.
I've lost a bid war yesterday on a 31% block chance SS, I should have bidded more than 26M, it sold for 28.5M.

Now I'm stuck again with my 27% one. I don't even know why I want it, I can pretty much faceroll inferno with my tank barb :p

rCIZZLE

Ok, I never said you did. I'm simply saying if you don't do this, you won't get hit from a melee attack - if you're out of range of melee, you won't be hit by melee.

I don't know why you mentioned vaulting into a mob then. I am out of range when the attack is in animation. The whole point of animations, besides being pretty, is letting us know what's really happening.

Of course you're going to be hit by a melee attack if you're in melee range. I never said otherwise. I did say " Nor will you get hit by quicker attacks and speed if you're never in range of them melee attacking." It seems you misunderstood that.

But I'm not in melee range. I'm half a screen away lol. If I'm in range of quicker attacks then vaulting away will be much harder. Not impossible, since dodging should never be impossible, just difficult to the point where more mistakes are likely to be made. I didn't misunderstand it...

You're using the skill wrong. That isn't how it's (vault) supposed to work per the design of the game. To your bolded: I've explained why what the animation says and how the actual design differs. Bashiok explicitly stated the difference as well.

It's a skill that should have more than one purpose. I'm not using it wrong according to the animation team since quickly putting distance between you and the attacker appears to be one of it's purposes. As already stated, this happens when simply walking. Never said it was vault only or even skill only. It's any situation where you're in some invisible attack range and try to move out mid animation. This isn't a turn based rpg so dodging should be an option.

Right, they're forcing you to avoid attacks. You can't dodge a melee attack (unless you "dodge" via dex) once that attack has been initiated on you by simply moving further away than melee range. That is by design, you're free to not like it, but that's by design. I understand the thought behind "I'm further way than melee, so I shouldn't be hit by melee" as it works in other games. However it isn't the case in this game, and unfortunately you have to play by this games rules.

Again, I know it doesn't work. I know the animation isn't accurate to what's actually happening. These are my complaints after all.

It's not a video game thing that should differ from game to game. Animations should match what is happening in every game.

You can dodge SOME attack, most importantly the big slow ones like the Dark Berserker ones do. The regular melee attacks however you have no chance against other than stunning them out of it or using your defensive skill right on time.

It's the ones that are slow enough to easily be dodged but quick enough that the animation isn't 5 seconds long that I have a problem with. The ponies is a good example. When they start animation I would hit vault. As I was flying across the screen they'd do the part of the animation that would kick me though I was no longer there. I'd land and die. :(

zoukka

What is your farm route for Act II? I have seen a few for Act 1 posted but not many for Act 2.

I used to do Maghda runs because I was bored of act 1. Just seek out the elite packs in each desert area and inside ruins and story dungeons. Someone already wrote a path you can try. Now I start from the ZK mission and kill him as the last thing to do. Belial isn't worth the effort at all.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
rCIZZLE, I get that you can't wrap your head around their design decision, but the cold hard fact is that you're using Vault incorrectly.

And yes, that does matter, because every skill has a purpose. That's why you get like, 30 of them.

I could bitch and complain all day about how dashing strike doesn't go anywhere unless you're targeting something, but that's simply not how the skill is supposed to work. End of story. You may not like that, but you don't make the rules of the game.

My advice would be to actually use caltrops the way they were intended, and actually use vault the way it was created: by vaulting before anything is close to touching you. That is the whole damn point of the ability. Frankly, if you could just vault around without anything hitting you, the rune that halves vault cost would be grossly overpowered.

Not to mention that you have access to evasive fire, an ability that does EXACTLY what you want. Yet you're using vault instead.

RDreamer

Alright what is the recommended specs/attributes for a monk to survive act 3?

Off the top of my head here's about what I think you need:

13,000 dps
28,000 life
5,000 armor
32% dodge
1000 LOH
20% block with good block amount
~800 resists

All those unbuffed

More or less depending on build. I rolled with lightning flash and concussion going concurrently along with resolve for a passive, so I was mitigating a lot of damage.

If you want to get an idea of my equips:

WcFJR.jpg

I believe most of that equipment was what I had in Act 3, too. It got me through to Diablo on inferno, too, though I've changed some things up since then to make it a bit easier.

And my build is here

LordCanti

So, now that the game is dead, what is everyone buying with their RMAH winnings?

Can't tell its dying at all in game... just people and their forum talk claiming it is.

This post was a fail, meant for the other Diablo 3 thread I have open. Since I can't undo it....this was sarcasm.

The question remains though. Personally, I think I'm going to finally upgrade my mobo/proc/RAM.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, now that the game is dead, what is everyone buying with their RMAH winnings?

Someone should tell the people I play with every night that the game is dead. I don't think they got the memo.

(I realize it was sarcasm, btw.)

TommyT

I don't know why you mentioned vaulting into a mob then. I am out of range when the attack is in animation. The whole point of animations, besides being pretty, is letting us know what's really happening.

I said if you did this, thus putting you in melee range, you'd be hit. If not, then you won't. To the point of a melee animation in this game is simply that you're about to take melee damage. Doesn't matter how far or close you are, it's coming. Doesn't matter how it's handled in real life or other games, because this isn't real life or another game.

But I'm not in melee range. I'm half a screen away lol. If I'm in range of quicker attacks then vaulting away will be much harder. Not impossible, since dodging should never be impossible, just difficult to the point where more mistakes are likely to be made. I didn't misunderstand it...

When the attack was initiated you were in melee range. Doesn't matter where you are now. Why are you not understanding this?

It's a skill that should have more than one purpose. I'm not using it wrong according to the animation team since quickly putting distance between you and the attacker appears to be one of it's purposes. As already stated, this happens when simply walking. Never said it was vault only or even skill only. It's any situation where you're in some invisible attack range and try to move out mid animation. This isn't a turn based rpg so dodging should be an option.

What it should have and what it has are two different things. You play based on what it does, not what it should do. You're using it wrong according the design mechanics. You keep harping on animation and where you are, you're still there... you're just going to get the melee damage that was initiated when you were in melee range.

Again, I know it doesn't work. I know the animation isn't accurate to what's actually happening. These are my complaints after all.

The animation is accurate. What you're saying you're complaining about and what you actually are complaining about are two different things.

Melee attack animation begins (damage will be taken is now true)
You move from melee range
Melee attack animation ends
Damage is taken

It seems that you're wanting the game to not register damage from a melee attack if you're out of melee range, which has nothing to do with animation other than you get damage when it, the melee animation that is, is over (and your frames form a skill are done, unless you're walking but that's semantics). Is that not what you're wanting?

Because the animation in that scenario is fine.

It's not a video game thing that should differ from game to game. Animations should match what is happening in every game.

Again, what it should do and what it does are two different things. The animation of a melee hit and the animation of you being outside of the range of that hit are accurate.

Melee animation has nothing to do with damage other than to let you know you're about to take some regardless of your position relative to the mob that initiated it.

I'm not posting in that other thread anymore in response to what you're saying - keep it here.

This post was a fail, meant for the other Diablo 3 thread I have open. Since I can't undo it....this was sarcasm.

The question remains though. Personally, I think I'm going to finally upgrade my mobo/proc/RAM.

I sold two $150 items in the past 10 hours. Its only just getting started. :p

scy

I guess I'll actually pick up Torchlight 2 so I can contribute to the OT. See the conclusion of the hype engine for that game. Besides that, LoL champs/skins I guess. Maybe just buy something random I want.

LordCanti

I sold two $150 items in the past 10 hours. Its only just getting started. :p

I'd say it's done being almost the equivalent of a minimum wage job you can do from your house. Yeah some people will get lucky with drops/crafting/etc, but the days of throwing any old thing up and having it sell are over.

Once gold selling is turned on, I don't think it will even be in the ballpark of a minimum wage job.

Edit: I should add that it shouldn't be that lucrative, that it never should have been that lucrative in the first place, etc. I say this as someone that took excellent advantage of the RMAH.

rCIZZLE

rCIZZLE, I get that you can't wrap your head around their design decision, but the cold hard fact is that you're using Vault incorrectly.

And yes, that does matter, because every skill has a purpose. That's why you get like, 30 of them.

I could bitch and complain all day about how dashing strike doesn't go anywhere unless you're targeting something, but that's simply not how the skill is supposed to work. End of story. You may not like that, but you don't make the rules of the game.

My advice would be to actually use caltrops the way they were intended, and actually use vault the way it was created: by vaulting before anything is close to touching you. That is the whole damn point of the ability.

I said I understand their design decision but I disagree with it. The animation teams agree with me that Vault has the purpose of quick escape.

EhDPJ.png

Even the skill description says this. In fact it looks like I'm the one using it for it's sole intended purpose.

Frankly, if you could just vault around without anything hitting you, the rune that halves vault cost would be grossly overpowered.

Not to mention that you have access to evasive fire, an ability that does EXACTLY what you want. Yet you're using vault instead.

There are plenty of other ways to die if I can dodge slower attacks. How many times do I need to say this? Quick attacks, being surrounded, elite affixes, mistakes, etc. Also, landing recovery on vault prevents godmode.

No, evasive fire isn't an ideal skill and I bet if I spent enough time with it I'd find the same problems.

Also, I'll bold this so you see it: The animation problem isn't limited to just vault or just skills. Running away from an attack can and does result in the same thing. Vault just shows how ridiculous it is.

TommyT

What does animation have to do with damage taken... I still don't see your connection. Whether you're next to the mob or 100 yards away, if the mob has initiated a melee attack, you're going to take melee damage. Nothing to do with any animation or your location on the screen.

That is by design.

scy

I think his point it's just silly that you can Vault away from an attack and be ~20 yards away and still take damage. Yes, that's the design of the game but it looks all the worse when those attacks "connect" at that great of a distance.

What does animation have to do with damage taken... I still don't see your connection. Whether you're next to the mob or 100 yards away, if the mob has initiated a melee attack, you're going to take melee damage. Nothing to do with any animation or your location on the screen.

That is by design.

His point is that it's terribly designed. I agree with him.

V_Arnold

I know one thing about unavoidable attacks: I love teleporting out of nearly every heavily telegraphed attacks, and it works. I am not playing a melee class however, but both kiting and teleporting out of attacks work. Latency is usually around 45-140, not more. I am sure problems would come with that kind of latency.

balddemon

Banned
Same. I have been farming goblins for the most part. That's pretty much the closest thing I can get to those quick D2 boss runs.

i don't have any MF gear to make farming goblins worthwhile. i do have 2.4mil so maybe i should look into that? i guess if i'm switching gear to kill goblins it won't really matter what stats it has except str and MF

rCIZZLE

I said if you did this, thus putting you in melee range, you'd be hit. If not, then you won't. To the point of a melee animation in this game is simply that you're about to take melee damage. Doesn't matter how far or close you are, it's coming. Doesn't matter how it's handled in real life or other games, because this isn't real life or another game.

I know how it works. You didn't tell me anything, I knew that coming in hence my whole complaint. I'm saying that's sloppy design. It would be better if this was like real life or games that have polished combat in that dodging means something. This isn't a turn based rpg. It's supposed to be real time combat. There's nothing real time about being hit before you're hit.

When the attack was initiated you were in melee range. Doesn't matter where you are now. Why are you not understanding this?

Why are you not understanding that I know this. I. Know. This. I'm the one who brought it up!

What it should have and what it has are two different things. You play based on what it does, not what it should do. You're using it wrong according the design mechanics. You keep harping on animation and where you are, you're still there... you're just going to get the melee damage that was initiated when you were in melee range.

EhDPJ.png

The animation is accurate. What you're saying you're complaining about and what you actually are complaining about are two different things.

Melee attack animation begins (damage will be taken is now true)
Damage is taken

The animation is not what is happening. According to the animation I avoided the attack. If combat was polished it'd look like:

Melee attack animation begins

It seems that you're wanting the game to not register damage from a melee attack if you're out of melee range, which has nothing to do with animation other than you get damage when it, the melee animation that is, is over (and your frames form a skill are done, unless you're walking but that's semantics). Is that not what you're wanting?

I want the animation and how damage is assigned to work together. If the attack hitbox and my hurtbox overlap during the attack then I'm assigned damage. If they don't, I don't take damage.

Because the animation in that scenario is fine.

It's not.

Again, what it should do and what it does are two different things. The animation of a melee hit and the animation of you being outside of the range of that hit are accurate.

Melee animation has nothing to do with damage other than to let you know you're about to take some regardless of your position relative to the mob that initiated it.

This is the problem. Hitboxes aren't a new concept and I didn't think they were difficult until Diablo 3. (and early CS Source but that's another topic)

LordCanti

Every enemy attack animation has a point of no return, where if you're within the hit box, it's going to get you. It doesn't matter what you do once it's hit that point. As a DH, this is incredibly frustrating. We get to see our characters (ten feet away) drop dead due to melee attacks that never should have hit.

datamage

Where are you guys doing goblin farming at?

It's been a straight week since I've gotten a single upgrade and my frustration levels are rising.

syllogism

Apparently natalya's disc regen won't get nerfed/fixed, so I suppose there will be other similarly "broken" set bonuses in a future patch

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5911883850

We're not going to change/correct the set bonus of Natalya's. It will remain as-is.

It's one of a few cases recently that made us really sit and look at how we were approaching a game system, have some serious discussions about what they mean for the game, and where we want it to go. Sure it's one set and set bonus, but allowing it to continue existing, and even now beginning some work to embrace the concept, probably wouldn't have happened if the unintended change to Natalya's hadn't occurred, and maybe more importantly if you didn't offer your feedback (constructively and in calm and reasonable tones, of course).

We are working on Legendary item changes for a future patch, as I'm sure you know, which could change the set in any variety of ways. I don't know what those changes could be yet, but I do know there's no desire to "fix" the set, even in the updated version. But regardless those changes will only affect items that drop after that patch. They aren't retroactive. Any Natalya's items that drop before that patch (ie the ones dropping now), and the set bonus, will remain unchanged regardless of future Legendary item updates.

forrest

formerly nacire

That is by design.

It's shitty design in my opinion. Although I wish real life boxing matches worked like this. It would be hilarious to watch.

rCIZZLE

That is by design.

I guess I'm just spoiled by games with hitboxes.

I know it's by design, they said it on the official forums and I was the first person to bring it up in this discussion.

Kenaras

I know how it works. You didn't tell me anything, I knew that coming in hence my whole complaint. I'm saying that's sloppy design. It would be better if this was like real life or games that have polished combat in that dodging means something. This isn't a turn based rpg. It's supposed to be real time combat. There's nothing real time about being hit before you're hit.

Got it. So in real life, if someone is in my face and wants to punch or stab me, all I have to do wait for them to start swinging, then slowly step backwards a bit. Then I can safely step forwards afterwards and wait for them to start swinging again. Then rinse and repeat.

Good to know!

I am not a DH player (well, I am *now*, rolling a melee DH in HC like a fool. :p), but I should expect Vault to have a property which cancels being set to get hit by an attack if an enemy's animation starts.

scy

I guess I'm just spoiled by games with hitboxes.

I know it's by design, they said it on the official forums and I was the first person to bring it up in this discussion.

I said it before but, honestly, I'm glad it's this way. It saves me the trouble of having to dance in and out of combat constantly for every single class I play. I guess I'm lazy :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom