• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realyn

Fuck it, jackpot.

znV6u.jpg

I'm sad.

RDreamer

Smokescreen makes you immune to reflect damage, and caltrops will keep mortar enemies out of your range (unless they are also fast affix).

I know smokescreen makes you immune, but so does that mean you literally only shoot while smoke screened? Seems like an awfully long fight, then... And how in fuck's name are you shooting mortar enemies if they're out of your range? It seems like the range on mortar is greater and more flexible than the range on any DH ability, especially in some areas. I mean I had some enemies that I literally couldn't see on my screen that would pelt me with mortar.

And as for caltrops, I've been using that, but it seems to only temporarily annoy the enemies. It doesn't really keep them at range very much, especially if I have to smokescreen a lot and can't afford to lay down like 5 caltrops at a time. Keep in mind I have like 45 discipline, and use preparation with backup plan. If backup plan doesn't go off it seems like I'm pretty fucked in some of these fights.

OTIX

Seems like they overnerfed Inferno a bit. My brand new Monk in bargain basement gear just plowed through act 2 way too easy.

linsivvi

I know smokescreen makes you immune, but so does that mean you literally only shoot while smoke screened? Seems like an awfully long fight, then... And how in fuck's name are you shooting mortar enemies if they're out of your range? It seems like the range on mortar is greater and more flexible than the range on any DH ability, especially in some areas. I mean I had some enemies that I literally couldn't see on my screen that would pelt me with mortar.

And as for caltrops, I've been using that, but it seems to only temporarily annoy the enemies. It doesn't really keep them at range very much, especially if I have to smokescreen a lot and can't afford to lay down like 5 caltrops at a time. Keep in mind I have like 45 discipline, and use preparation with backup plan. If backup plan doesn't go off it seems like I'm pretty fucked in some of these fights.

I feel your pain. Pre 1.0.3 my DH was at the end of Act 4 but couldn't beat Diablo. Since the patch I've stopped playing him. It's just too frustrating.

Luckily I have a monk and the patch actually made it possible to play a monk without $50M gears.

Seems like they overnerfed Inferno a bit. My brand new Monk in bargain basement gear just plowed through act 2 way too easy.

I think part of that reason is that suitable gear for act 2 has gone down in price. Act III wall will require much more money and much better gear.

inky

I haven't sold anything on the RMAH in like ... a week. I have LoL to pay for guys, somebody buy my shit :(

Me too! Seems like the fever has passed... I was on a nice streak of people buying items that were not even good. Shit, I don't even sell my good items anymore. Having mixed luck in the GAH still, but I'm doing alright in gold at least.

scy

Me too! Seems like the fever has passed... I was on a nice streak of people buying items that were not even good. Shit, I don't even sell my good items.

I kind of wish I did sell my good stuff. Sure, I'd be down a Wizard but my Barb cost like 2M Gold to beast mode farming.

RDreamer

I think part of that reason is that suitable gear for act 2 has gone down in price. Act III wall will require much more money and much better gear.

This is definitely part of the reason. That's what happened with Act 1. When I first got to act 1 with my monk I was pulverized. I had to save up and buy really great equipment. Then Act 2 pulverized me and I had to do the same. With my witch doctor when I finally got to Act 1 the same sort of stuff I needed for my monk (well, not the SAME, but you know) was dirt cheap. Eventually gear will be so abundant and cheap that I think even Act 4 will be very doable on a budget.

SUPARSTARX

Barbgaf

What stats for farming act 3/4 inferno?

I have 16k dps
8k armor/ 500 all resist unbuffed
45k hp
Life regen and loh are about 390 each

Its getting to the point where i think im going to lose some hp or go damage when I change gear. What amount of health do you really need?
1h/shield? I think a4 requires at least 65 k to 70 k life to farm. There's some b.s. spike damage and stuns sometimes. I have like 800 resist and I'm doing alright against elemental damage without superstition.

DSmalls84

1h/shield? I think a4 requires at least 65 k to 70 k life to farm. There's some b.s. spike damage and stuns sometimes. I have like 800 resist and I'm doing alright against elemental damage without superstition.

Yeah 1h/shield. Lol it's terrible I have like 5 mil gold but it doesn't seem like that will buy me an upgrade. I'm occasionally finding some mispriced deals but missed out on most of them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fun fact: The game doesn't add the time in the menus, on the AH or when the game is paused to your class /played statistics.

So how long have you been playing, GAF?

I'm at 263 hours.

I'm only at 175 hours. God I love this fucking game.

LordCanti

Me too! Seems like the fever has passed... I was on a nice streak of people buying items that were not even good. Shit, I don't even sell my good items anymore. Having mixed luck in the GAH still, but I'm doing alright in gold at least.

Sales are in the toilet. I got $50 for a Dex Andy last week (post patch), and now I can't move another one for like $15.

The only things I've sold in days are that Manajuma Ritual Cutter for $5, and that ring for $10. The gravy train is over.

eek5

Barbgaf

I have 16k dps
45k hp

Its getting to the point where i think im going to lose some hp or go damage when I change gear. What amount of health do you really need?

Solo? Comfortably?

~1-1.3 million EHP
~900 LoH (at 1.6aps so ~1400 hp/sec) or whatever is equivalent to 1400 hp/sec with LoH/Life Steel/Lifesec - If you can't get up this high, run with Overpower until they nerf it just to survive desecrator/plague pools

16k DPS should be fine but I'd recommend being in the 30 range if you want to farm just because sniping out champions quickly is the most efficient way to farm. Spending 3-4 mins on each pack is a waste of time when you can clear A2 packs in 1min (until they change drop rates)

LordCanti

Until gold sales are randomly huge for a day or two an hour or two.

I think gold will bottom out within a couple of hours. At 2.50 per million (the minimum Blizzard set), you'd take home about 17 dollars for 10 million gold. In other words...the gravy train is over lol.

Edit: Your edit beat me.

Artanisix

Barbgaf

I have 16k dps
45k hp

i'm at 98k dps, 6k armor / 500 all res unbuff, 30k hp, 10% lifesteal farming a3

Sales are in the toilet. I got $50 for a Dex Andy last week (post patch), and now I can't move another one for like $15.

The only things I've sold in days are that Manajuma Ritual Cutter for $5, and that ring for $10. The gravy train is over.

I'm the same way, was making $40-50 a day, about 2-3 days ago the well dried up and nothings really selling. Figured I had until gold selling was turned on, but it was a good run.

DSmalls84

i'm at 98k dps, 6k armor / 500 all res unbuff, 30k hp, 10% lifesteal farming a3

Wow you guys have way better stats/gear than I do. How much does it cost to gear like that? I don't think I have spent over 2 mil on a single piece of armor. Also is there a reason to use Overpower over ignore pain, furious charge or revenge?

Edit: I'm considering trying my hand at crafting some of the gear I need but most of my plans are the standard 4 stat rolls.

LordCanti

I'm the same way, was making $40-50 a day, about 2-3 days ago the well dried up and nothings really selling. Figured I had until gold selling was turned on, but it was a good run.

I have no evidence, but I think 1.0.3 pissed a lot of people off and made them quit. I can't figure out any other explanation for why no one buys anything anymore.

I have no evidence, but I think 1.0.3 pissed a lot of people off and made them quit. I can't figure out any other explanation for why no one buys anything anymore.

I would think the patch played a large part but for a variety of reasons. Pissed people off, the drop rate sucks so not as many wanting to farm, etc. I know for myself the drive to get better gear went out the window with the reduced difficulty. My Barb's set went from pretty top of the line to very "meh," yet I can still steamroll most of Inferno. If I can walk around in half-assed gear, whats the drive for the dude with the paycheck to buy a nice piece of loot?

Hopefully if the player population is dropping as much as it supposedly is, they'll look at some of the suggestion threads or videos being put out, or at least expedite that PVP patch. I personally wish they would put something in along the lines of Uber Tristram from D2, some kind of crazy hard hook for the endgame.

zoukka

Disagree with your comment about locales. I think Act 3 looks absolutely awesome. Siege of Bastion's Keep is the greatest looking area in the game honestly.

To me it's just so dead and dull. The basements are an embarrasment from a dev of blizzs caliber and the "epic battle" feel is not there even though I appreciate what they tried there. The scripted feel of it does work in games where you see it once or twice, not in a lootgrind game.

linsivvi

so im up to 765 res 6500 armor and 19% melee reduce damage. I really need to get my dps back up

There needs to be a better way to search AH finding Fire, All Resis, Vit Dex Crit chance gear is a pain in the ass.

You can actually sacrifice a bit of your resist. You've reached the point of diminishing return.

At 600 res it's 67% damage reduction while at 800 res it's around 73%. That extra 6% is nice and all but even at 600 res you can tank Diablo easily. It's better to be able to kill mobs faster with as much LOH/regen as you can get.

You do need more HP though.

TommyT

Well, you'd be hit by all the other monsters with quicker attacks and speed. Also the elites with abilities like waller, vortex, jailer, and teleport. Sounds like good combat strategy... exploit their slow attacks with my quick movements.

You see, bold is exactly what they're doing wrong. Trying to force us to play the game one certain way with every design choice or update they make.

It is more of an OT thing but I was responding to someone calling combat "goddamn fantastic".

You won't be hit by other monsters if you don't vault into a pack of them. Nor will you get hit by quicker attacks and speed if you're never in range of them melee attacking. Use vault to put and keep distance between you and enemies. Certain affixes suck for any build, you avoid them or adapt to them in some way.

They're not forcing you to do anything. You don't have to use vault. However, if you're going to use it you have to use it properly, and that's understanding how it is best used. Using vault to try to escape as a mob is right on top of you and you're milliseconds away from taking damage.

The combat is amazing and quite fantastic. Are there some things that need to be tweaked? Sure, but it's still great. What isn't fantastic in your scenario is that it would seem you're not using the skill to maximize it's potential which is frustrating because intuitively it should work a different way.

What kinda gear does Wizards need for inferno? I just hit 60 and destroyed act 1, I'm about a hour into act 2 and its still easy. I only have 29k dps.

scy

You can actually sacrifice a bit of your resist. You've reached the point of diminishing return.

At 600 res it's 67% damage reduction while at 800 res it's around 73%. That extra 6% is nice and all but even at 600 res you can tank Diablo easily. It's better to be able to kill mobs faster with as much LOH/regen as you can get.

That's not quite the case, however. That's 33% Damage taken to 27% Damage Taken, a reduction of around ~18%. It may take more Armor/Resistance to get another +1% mitigation but that +1% mitigation means more than the 1% before it. It balances itself out.

Edit: To example it, another +6% Mitigation (27% Damage Taken -> 21% Damage Taken) means a reduction of around ~22% now.

LukeSmith

What kinda gear does Wizards need for inferno? I just hit 60 and destroyed act 1, I'm about a hour into act 2 and its still easy. I only have 29k dps.

Inferno is easy now, the whole like "what kind of gear" do I need question was only relevant before 1.03.

They should put an asterisk next to all Inferno Diablo kills post patch in your profile, too

scy

They should put an asterisk next to all Inferno Diablo kills post patch in your profile, too

I really should have pushed harder for a pre-patch Inferno Diablo kill :( Solo killing him with my Barb was just ... not all that satisfying. Maybe I'll do it on the WD when I get that to 60. That should be harder!

Blitzhex

What's the most efficient Wiz steamroll build for late Nightmare and Hell ?
I got the gear for it, just need a build.

I was rolling through hell with this. I had a 650 dps 2h.
Just some random build I put together, didn't put much thought into it. Everything was melting pretty fast though.
You can switch out prodigy to critical mass if you'd like, but I wasn't criting much anyway for it to lower archon's cd significantly.

forrest

formerly nacire
I usually only shop buyouts to my detriment I'm sure, but I have a question. If I place a max bid on an item and no one else bids, will it charge me that max bid or an increment of my max bid?

Rufus

Could be simple saturation, too. Since there's no reason to level multiple characters once you have one of every class, there's no reason to buy them gear once they can either run all acts on Inferno or the player gives up.

zoukka

Haha, did they actually nerf elite mobs now too? I have never seen black canyon mines area without a single mob and that's my most played farming starting area.

linsivvi

That's not quite the case, however. That's 33% Damage taken to 27% Damage Taken, a reduction of around ~18%. It may take more Armor/Resistance to get another +1% mitigation but that +1% mitigation means more than the 1% before it. It balances itself out.

Edit: To example it, another +6% Mitigation (27% Damage Taken -> 21% Damage Taken) means a reduction of around ~22% now.

True. Never thought of it that way.

My point is though, with the reduction in mobs damage in Inferno, one can get away from a lower resist and armor value than before. It's probably better to be able to kill things faster.

Finished Act 4 with 670 resist and 6K armor unbuffed. I do use enchantress and hard target, but you really don't need some godly defense to finish the last two acts.

scy

Your Barb hits for 98kdps?

It's surprisingly not that hard to reach. My Barb in like ~2M worth of gear* can buff to 45k or so? That's with a Shield and no +Crit Damage Gems socketed because I'm cheap.

*I think my Amulet is far, far more than this but I got it as a drop on my Wizard ages ago? Still.

My point is though, with the reduction in mobs damage in Inferno, one can get away from a lower resist and armor value than before. It's probably better to be able to kill things faster.

I do agree with this, yeah. I think a lot of problems people are facing are because they're pushing extremes too hard. Massive tanking requires ridiculous gear to survive long enough for the negligible DPS to kill things; massive DPS requires ridiculous gear to kill fast enough for the negligible survivability to not matter. Balancing the two costs nowhere near as much.

DSmalls84

Haha, did they actually nerf elite mobs now too? I have never seen black canyon mines area without a single mob and that's my most played farming starting area.

What is your farm route for Act II? I have seen a few for Act 1 posted but not many for Act 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom