• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Farmed 4-8 hours a day, every day since 1.03 hit. Haven't had a "hey, that is a nice drop!" moment yet. Used to have them once or twice a day. Think I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

I'm not asking for an awesome drop from every other elite, just throw me a bone now and then, something to break up the monotony of crappy combinations like 200 dps, 50 str, 50 int weapons.

Guaranteed rares from elites? Guaranteed to suck is what it seems like.

Too much has to go right. First you've got to get an iLvl62-63 drop (60-61's being pretty useless, unless they are rings/ammys) that isn't white. Then you've got to roll elemental damage on a weapon, or the DPS is going to be too low for anyone to care. For everything else you need some combination of All Res, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, etc.

The odds of getting anything decent are insane. Unless you use the AH, in which case the chances become more like 100%, making farming pointless and frustrating.

Anustart

Farmed 4-8 hours a day, every day since 1.03 hit. Haven't had a "hey, that is a nice drop!" moment yet. Used to have them once or twice a day. Think I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

I'm not asking for an awesome drop from every other elite, just throw me a bone now and then, something to break up the monotony of crappy combinations like 200 dps, 50 str, 50 int weapons.

The bones will come! Since the patch I've found some pants that are an upgrade for me, and some killer gloves as well.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Too much has to go right. First you've got to get an iLvl62-63 drop (60-61's being pretty useless, unless they are rings/ammys) that isn't white. Then you've got to roll elemental damage on a weapon, or the DPS is going to be too low for anyone to care. For everything else you need some combination of All Res, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, etc.

The odds of getting anything decent are insane. Unless you use the AH, in which case the chances become more like 100%, making farming pointless and frustrating.
But you need income.

The bones will come! Since the patch I've found some pants that are an upgrade for me, and some killer gloves as well.
Not if they nerf Act 1 and 2...

Woo-Fu

Banned

The problem with the AH is unless I get something good to sell I can't afford to buy upgrades.

After IAS got nerfed I switched from darts to a tank doctor build. The basic gear for testing was pretty cheap but getting upgrades for it is ridiculously expensive. Thanks to inflation I need to sell some new, good drops to pay for those upgrades.

So basically I've been stuck doing elite runs in act 1 and act 2 most of the week trying to get enough good drops to upgrade the new tank doctor suit so that act 3 becomes feasible---which would be nice to do before the 1.03b or whatever it is hits.

I don't think gaming as it is today has much of a niche for a game where you can play 50+ hours and make no meaningful progress. I'll go back to BF3 + World of Tanks and at least have some fun and make progress while waiting for Borderlands 2 to hit. :)

eek5

I wish they'd only drop iL61+ items in inferno. You still wouldn't get shit but at least it would be kind of exciting to get drops and ID. Instead you do an entire run then blow your load of disappointment on 3 items.

We're not going to change/correct the set bonus of Natalya's. It will remain as-is.

It's one of a few cases recently that made us really sit and look at how we were approaching a game system, have some serious discussions about what they mean for the game, and where we want it to go. Sure it's one set and set bonus, but allowing it to continue existing, and even now beginning some work to embrace the concept, probably wouldn't have happened if the unintended change to Natalya's hadn't occurred, and maybe more importantly if you didn't offer your feedback (constructively and in calm and reasonable tones, of course).

We are working on Legendary item changes for a future patch, as I'm sure you know, which could change the set in any variety of ways. I don't know what those changes could be yet, but I do know there's no desire to "fix" the set, even in the updated version. But regardless those changes will only affect items that drop after that patch. They aren't retroactive. Any Natalya's items that drop before that patch (ie the ones dropping now), and the set bonus, will remain unchanged regardless of future Legendary item updates.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5911883850#3

Better start building that set :lol

Anustart

I thought I asked this before but couldn't find it in my post history.

Is it just me, or are rare rings ilvl 57 99.9% of the time? Since the patch, of all the rings that have dropped, probably 5 werent ilvl 57, the rest were. It's insane.

Dahbomb

Today I had a fairly infuriating experience.

Was doing a fairly usual Act 1 Run but this time with someone else. Everything was going fine until I reached just outside of Leoric's Manor. An Elite pack of Horned Beasts (the ones that charge at you) plus a Champion pack of Spearmen spawned on top of each other. The cumulative affixes were: Waller, Extra Health, Shielding, Plague, Molten, Arcane enchanted, Nightmare and Jailer. Basically you would either get jailed into a Beast head ram (which took a shit ton of health) or you would get walled in by 2 simultaneous walls making an inescapable path into a pool of Plague + Molten + Enchanted with the beasts blocking your way. You couldn't kite because you would either get jailered or walled in. Trying to kill the spearmen would result in a beast ramming you from off screen. Eventually me and my partners managed to kill the spearmen with a few deaths and when finally we got the Beasts to less than 10% they enraged (first time encounter with the enrage timer). Red skulls everywhere and there was even a timer that appeared on our heads ticking down our health. Eventually the enrage timer wore off and we managed to kill them once they were back to full health but it was a bit easier as it wasn't 2 packs together. So we go to collect our loot and mind you this is after a good one hour plus of farming Act 1 packs with 5 stacks.... We get disconnected from the server.

Great game design Blizzard. Real swell. Of course didn't get a single good item on the way there. Lost about 20 grand plus in repair costs because of that encounter when before I only died once where you saved the Templar and that was completely the AI's fault because he had blocked the path with Invulnerable minions and we couldn't reach the Elite to make them stop.

One thing I noticed in the game is that Affixes definitely are not randomized equally. The chance of getting Molten, Plague, Waller etc are way higher than getting Missile Dampening for example. That shit is lame, Missile Dampening isn't even that hard where as having to fight through 3-4 packs in a row of Molten is just stupid for a melee. Similarly Fast, Teleporter, Reflect Damage and Vortex spawn much more frequently and those absolutely own the ranged class.
Is it just me, or are rare rings ilvl 57 99.9% of the time? Since the patch, of all the rings that have dropped, probably 5 werent ilvl 57, the rest were. It's insane.
I noticed this too.

I want to see the loot tables in the game because I can bet you it's all sorts of fucked up.

nitric0

GAF, this is the first time I spent 2M on items from the AH. 1M each for the Helm/Shield, did I get gypped? :( I had a crappy socketless helm and a shield with just 50 all res

ojvVT.jpg

LordCanti

GAF, this is the first time I spent 2M on items from the AH. 1M each for the Helm/Shield, did I get gypped? :( I had a crappy socketless helm and a shield with just 50 all res

I don't price out barb items (ever) but my gut says that yeah, you got hosed. The block on the shield is awful, the helm is low STR/Armor, etc.

Ketch

Yea you probably could have gotten equivalent gear for cheaper. 500k ish range. Just gotta be patient, work the bids, and cast a wide net.

Dahbomb

Don't know much about shields (block percentage low otherwise appears to be a decent shield for 1M) but that Helmet is definitely overpriced at 1M. My current one I am using is basically the same as that only it's priced well under 100K.

dwebo

goddamn, they really need to increase the font on block chances. or maybe replace the location of the armor stat with it

Today I had a fairly infuriating experience.

Was doing a fairly usual Act 1 Run but this time with someone else. Everything was going fine until I reached just outside of Leoric's Manor. An Elite pack of Horned Beasts (the ones that charge at you) plus a Champion pack of Spearmen spawned on top of each other. The cumulative affixes were: Waller, Extra Health, Shielding, Plague, Molten, Arcane enchanted, Nightmare and Jailer. Basically you would either get jailed into a Beast head ram (which took a shit ton of health) or you would get walled in by 2 simultaneous walls making an inescapable path into a pool of Plague + Molten + Enchanted with the beasts blocking your way. You couldn't kite because you would either get jailered or walled in. Trying to kill the spearmen would result in a beast ramming you from off screen. Eventually me and my partners managed to kill the spearmen with a few deaths and when finally we got the Beasts to less than 10% they enraged (first time encounter with the enrage timer). Red skulls everywhere and there was even a timer that appeared on our heads ticking down our health. Eventually the enrage timer wore off and we managed to kill them once they were back to full health but it was a bit easier as it wasn't 2 packs together. So we go to collect our loot and mind you this is after a good one hour plus of farming Act 1 packs with 5 stacks.... We get disconnected from the server.

Great game design Blizzard. Real swell. Of course didn't get a single good item on the way there. Lost about 20 grand plus in repair costs because of that encounter when before I only died once where you saved the Templar and that was completely the AI's fault because he had blocked the path with Invulnerable minions and we couldn't reach the Elite to make them stop.

One thing I noticed in the game is that Affixes definitely are not randomized equally. The chance of getting Molten, Plague, Waller etc are way higher than getting Missile Dampening for example. That shit is lame, Missile Dampening isn't even that hard where as having to fight through 3-4 packs in a row of Molten is just stupid for a melee. Similarly Fast, Teleporter, Reflect Damage and Vortex spawn much more frequently and those absolutely own the ranged class.

I noticed this too.

I want to see the loot tables in the game because I can bet you it's all sorts of fucked up.
That reminds me, I haven't seen Missile Dampening after 1.03.

Dahbomb

I've seen it a few times. Best is when it's paired with reflect damage and ALLLLL those slowed arrows/ball lightnings hit. The red just flies everywhere!
Had had that happen to me on my DH and was a pretty LOL moment.

This was my first Missile Dampening since the patch. It was an Elite Dragon Fly in the Leoric Hunting Grounds.

Last night I was playing coop and every single elite we ran into had freaking Mortar. Three times in a row. In the same damn dungeon.

I swear it's based on the type of enemy too. The harder the enemy is (Nagas, Soul Rippers, Wasps, etc) the more likely they're going to get the worst affixes while stuff like Skeletons tend to get affixes they can't make use of, and Knockback.

I always forget that Missile Dampening even exists.

I think the game broke me today because I usually don't complain like this. >_>

Dahbomb

It's pretty hard to break me but I am fairly close to a breaking point in this game.

I get a shit ton of Mortars too. And I definitely get what you mean by certain enemies getting certain affixes, I can't tell you how many times I have been owned by Fire Chain Spiderlings or Wasps.

TommyT

Had had that happen to me on my DH and was a pretty LOL moment.

This was my first Missile Dampening since the patch. It was an Elite Dragon Fly in the Leoric Hunting Grounds.

You can just see them all slowing down and lining up. Then realize it's reflect damage and "NOOOOOOOOO *press smokescreen*!!!! IT DOES NOT LAST LONG ENOUGH AHHHHH!!!!" It's literally 10 seconds of non stop reflect damage at a ridiculous amount. So good.

Can someone summarize what happened to Natalya's that they arent going to fix? Clueless about DH gear

I think people are considering the 4 piece ( 2 disc/sec ) pretty broken in a good way. I've been trying to get the ring for my 3 piece and it's the most expensive... this won't help. Though I could be mistaken about the reason they want it.

LordCanti

I think people are considering the 4 piece ( 2 disc/sec ) pretty broken in a good way. I've been trying to get the ring for my 3 piece and it's the most expensive... this won't help. Though I could be mistaken about the reason they want it.

The 4 piece bonus was like 0.7 extra Discipline regenned per second, and now it's 2 even.

I don't think it's worth it. The nat chest (with 10 discipline and three sockets) and the rings are great. The weapon is unusable, and the helm/boots are mediocre.

If each ring counts as 1 set item a piece (so you can get to 3 items through chest and the 2 rings) then it's almost worth it, if you can afford the top tier chest/ring rolls. Otherwise? Eh. Edit: It's two pieces people want to get to (for the 7% crit). Most look to do that through the chest and ring, that's why they cost a shitload for a decent roll.

The chest looks fantastic though, so that's a plus.

I'm still sick over losing out on that Nat's Chest with 3 sockets, dex, vita, and +10 discipline for 1m yesterday. The AH was still bugged from the patch, and it wouldn't let me or a couple other people here bid.

Rufus

I get a shit ton of Mortars too. And I definitely get what you mean by certain enemies getting certain affixes, I can't tell you how many times I have been owned by Fire Chain Spiderlings or Wasps.
Spiderlings are horrible in general. What I find not so much dangerous but just annoying is knockback on mobs that have inherent knockback. Getting bounced around in general is really annoying. Makes me love WotB that much more.

HenryHSH

eh, it only takes 10-15 minutes to get up to 5 stacks. after that, you've got the same chances on each elite kill as someone that's been farming for two hours

If you're doing 30min runs, then you're being extremely inefficient.
In act1 you have a 2% chance for a lvl63, which is not guaranteed to be magic or rare. The first 10 minutes is spent collecting NV, then you have 20 minutes to get something good. If you stop and start again then you're wasting another 10 minutes. These add up quickly.

If a person does 4 half hour runs then they're wasting a full 30 min run getting 5 stacks. A person doing 2h runs is wasting 10 minutes to get their stacks and getting way more rares in a more efficient manner. They don't have equal chances to get good loot.

It's pretty hard to break me but I am fairly close to a breaking point in this game.

Spiderlings sometimes get fast too, making them one of the harder things to skip past (heck, even without Fast they're super hard to skip), especially in the Cave of the Betrayer where there's no place to drop off elites.

Dahbomb

Best is a Pack with both Knockback and Vortex. Knock you back ... Vortex you in to trap you into some lame shit. That's some godlike troll by Blizzard right there.

I've got about 220 hours into my wizard, but i've been stuck for the past 60 or 70 hours in Act 1 inferno. I've completed act 2, but I can't go back and just fight elites without going bankrupt. I hope this is what blizzard intended, because I pretty much cant progress any longer. I guess I've reached my end-game. It was fun, I guess. The difficulty progression makes zero sense.

inky

Best is a Pack with both Knockback and Vortex. Knock you back ... Vortex you in to trap you into some lame shit. That's some godlike troll by Blizzard right there.

I hate vortex+frozen even more. Frozen is not that hard to avoid, but as soon as you try to get away they vortex you in. Worse still if the other affixes are like desecration or arcane enchanted. Any of this with horde is a death sentence too.

dwebo

If you're doing 30min runs, then you're being extremely inefficient.
In act1 you have a 2% chance for a lvl63, which is not guaranteed to be magic or rare. The first 10 minutes is spent collecting NV, then you have 20 minutes to get something good. If you stop and start again then you're wasting another 10 minutes. These add up quickly.

If a person does 4 half hour runs then they're wasting a full 30 min run getting 5 stacks. A person doing 2h runs is wasting 10 minutes to get their stacks and getting way more rares in a more efficient manner. They don't have equal chances to get good loot.

well, I wasn't saying they'd have the same overall chance, not was I advocating 30 minute runs, so...

The affix trolls are awesome and sometimes pretty creative. Kripp encountering elite Fallen Maniacs with Waller is still one of the best (and he never made it a YouTube video).

With so many affixes that are so strong on their own (Mortar, Fast, etc), it becomes very easy to appreciate when a set of affixes synergize with a type of enemy well.

HenryHSH

well, I wasn't saying they'd have the same overall chance, not was I advocating 30 minute runs, so...

I know, but I'm further explaining my initial point, which you replied to with an "eh, it only takes 10 minutes to get to 5 stacks."

My point was that any farming under an hour is just not worth it, is all.

Cipherr

One thing I noticed in the game is that Affixes definitely are not randomized equally.

Yeah, this pisses me off. Its absolute bullshit that its not random. Missile dampenings rarity proves it too. A million arcane enchanted and reflects, but seeing a fucking missile dampening is like finding a goddamn 4 leaf clover. Its so stupid.

It makes me wonder how much they screw with the percentages of each of them to spawn. If they aren't going to give the affixes all equal random chances to spawn, are they above spawning more reflect packs for a solo playing DH? Or more Arcane Enchanted in a single player game played by a melee?

Little shit like that pisses me off. It shows an active and deliberate attempt to fucking annoy the player. Spawn the goddamn affixes randomly and evenly and stop stacking certain ones with higher/lower chances to spawn...

sleepykyo

Really? I always figured knockback mortar would be more amusing to you because it almost looks like a combo, eg. Bionic Arm into the path of Doom Missiles.

I think the only reason Skeletons tend to get Knockback so much is because they have a unique kick animation for it. *PUNT* you go flying.

I am also fairly certain that Waller is bugged.
Yeah, sometimes the walls will overlap and you can even get stuck.

Besides that though, Waller is a pretty map dependent affix at times. Sometimes you end up in a corridor small enough that waller will completely stop you with no side openings. It's also one of the more neutral affixes besides the bugs too, because sometimes the walls can actually help you if they're positioned ideally.

Kenaras

I am also fairly certain that Waller is bugged.

So am I. Nothing more fun than having a wall dropped on your head, preventing all movement in any direction. Usually, this is immediately followed by a desecrate.

Well, almost nothing more fun. Nightmarish Horde as a monk is even more ridiculous; once you've blown Serenity, good luck ever getting control of your character back.

Well, almost nothing more fun. Nightmarish Horde as a monk is even more ridiculous; once you've blown Serenity, good luck ever getting control of your character back.
Nightmare + Frozen is a definite troll combination. Watching my character walk straight into the ice balls is painful.

Dahbomb

Really? I always figured knockback mortar would be more amusing to you because it almost looks like a combo, eg. Bionic Arm into the path of Doom Missiles.
Mortar is just insanely random. And a melee character getting knocked into a volley of Mortar isn't as damaging as him being vortexed into a pool of desecrator or frozen orb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom