• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zertez

Im struggling hard with my WD in Act 3 as well. I can do Act1/2 in my sleep using my mf gear or gf gear, but switching to my best gear with resists, more dmg, hp, etc. I still die constantly. I have been using Blood Ritual for the past few days, and I like it when farming, but think Im going to switch back to Jungle Fortitude to see if it helps. I enjoy playing WD a lot, but they still need quite a bit of work. Supposedly they have some big changes in mind for the WD soon, but they havent said when they are going into the game. Right now it seems there is only a few very strong builds, if you have the right gear or high end items. All classes with the best gear should be killing much easier than others.

Mr Swine

Banned
So how does a barbarian beat Zoltun Kulle on Inferno? When he gets to 10-15% health he rages and one hits me :(

I have 32k Hp
600 res with war cry
17k DPS
6.8k armor

Definity

Finally found another legendary item. Should I just id it later after a patch or will it not work that way...probably going to be crap either way.

Definity

ID it now, it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the fast reply...here is what I got:

i6yVDIiy0VLa0.png

sleepykyo

Mortar is just insanely random. And a melee character getting knocked into a volley of Mortar isn't as damaging as him being vortexed into a pool of desecrator or frozen orb.

That's not Marvel though. That's just dumb, kind of like when they decide to run waller jailer frozen arcane on one pack. 3 CCs abilities and lasers when most builds have 1 maybe 2 antiCC skills.

Vodh

I actually like that the harder affixes seem to spawn more often than meanningless bs like missile dampening. The elites and champions are supposed to be a challenge, and sure the endgame for people who have been able to farm hundreds of millions of gold is piss easy and therefore nearly nonexistent, but for me there's still quite a lot of the game to conquer. I like it, and I don't mind the fact that I've been farming Act 1 inferno for the past ~80 hours of gameplay. For a game that's supposed to last me for months that is at least expected and I do not feel disappointed with that.

With my pace of progression it's even possible that Blizzard will have time to introduce some kind of actual endgame before I'm able to comfortably farm act 3 :)

Also, god bless Blizzard for not splitting the playerbase into WoW-sized servers. Not like it was ever a threat, but still, with the slowly shrinking playerbase the AH won't be empty for at least some time.

nitric0

What stats does a barb need to do Act 3 comfortably? I can farm Act 2 pretty decently but I'm getting dominated by elites in Act 3.
I have 700 all res with war cry, 14k dps and 55k vit

balddemon

Banned
What stats does a barb need to do Act 3 comfortably? I can farm Act 2 pretty decently but I'm getting dominated by elites in Act 3
based on my stats and experiences in act 3
800-850 all resist
9k armor
15-20k dps
600 loh

or equivalent. more experienced barbs can weigh in as well. in your case, i'd say more dps and a few more resists, although if you just get more dps you should be fine
Maybe tomorrow, I'm laying on my bed playing pokemon and surfing the wb with my iPad 2
ok i'll pm u my btag and yo ucan pm me yours and i'll add you

What stats does a barb need to do Act 3 comfortably? I can farm Act 2 pretty decently but I'm getting dominated by elites in Act 3.
I have 700 all res with war cry, 14k dps and 55k vit

You need more dps, and some LoH (I assume you have some but just forgot to mention it). Buffed, I have 650 all res, 1100 LoH, 2.8% life steal, 32k dps, 50k HP. I generally don't have problems with anything, and have on occasion killed 2 champ packs at once, and often kill champ packs while also dealing with massive hordes of trash at the same time. Doesn't mean I never die, but just that I can do it if my life is on the line and the circumstances are favorable. I could probably knock 8k dps off of this (by changing Battle Rage to Threatening Shout or something), and 400ish LoH and still be ok

More important than your stats though is your build.

zou

Speaking of affixes: It's absolutely infuriating that certain affixes will block your ability to use potions or spells. Getting killed because you got jailed or frozen on top of lava/poison is fucking bullshit. It's even more fun when you die with all spells off of their cooldown and potions ready to go. The only thing even more hilarious is 3 lasers around you.

gg blizzard.

Dahbomb

They really should've divided the affixes into 4 categories and the affix randomly generated from a particular category. I think someone already mentioned this but here's my take on it:

Crowd control affixes: Jailer, Vortex, Knockback, Waller, Nightmare, Desecrator

Anti-Range Affixes: Missile Dampen, Mortar, Fast, Teleporter, Reflect Damage

Anti-Melee Affixes: Fire chain, Mortar, Plague, Arcane Enchanted, Frozen, Electrified

Self Buff Affixes: Extra health, Health Link, Shielding, Invulnerable, Horde, Illusionist, Vampiric, Avenger

One affix is picked from these 4 categories to come up with a 4 affix champ/elite pack.

This is far more balanced and sensible than where you can get a combination that is excruciating for a particular class yet at the same time produce some combinations that are piss easy. This way you are pretty much guaranteed to get a pack that should provide a reasonable challenge to your class without being absurd.

Speaking of Arcane Enchanted, nothing like one of the balls appearing and getting blasted by the very tip of the laser right as it starts spinning.

Rufus

Nothing like not seeing the damned ball among the carnage, then being surprised where all your health is gone because it spawned right on top of you.

They really should've divided the affixes into 4 categories and the affix randomly generated from a particular category. I think someone already mentioned this but here's my take on it:

I disagree with some of the groupings (vortex is anti-ranged, knockback and nightmare anti-melee, teleporter and vampiric can go either way, etc.), but I like the general idea.

Sigmaah

spent my gold on trying to get more armor and resists and elite mobs still wreck me, fuck this game and its stupid ass bullshit, how am I supposed to get good stuff when I cant even survive? whoevers a DH, please help me on what gear I should get to be able to survive... These mobs fucking use rock traps and somehow drag me into their attacks, fucking annoying.

Nothing like not seeing the damned ball among the carnage, then being surprised where all your health is gone because it spawned right on top of you.

I disagree with some of the groupings (vortex is anti-ranged, knockback and nightmare anti-melee, teleporter and vampiric can go either way, etc.), but I like the general idea.

When fighting arcane, always get away from the ball when it drops, and always be moving if there is so much stuff on the screen that you risk not being able to see something

linsivvi

Crowd control affixes: Jailer, Vortex, Knockback, Waller, Nightmare, Desecrator

Anti-Range Affixes: Missile Dampen, Mortar, Fast, Teleporter, Reflect Damage

Anti-Melee Affixes: Fire chain, Mortar, Plague, Arcane Enchanted, Frozen, Electrified

Self Buff Affixes: Extra health, Health Link, Shielding, Invulnerable, Horde, Illusionist, Vampiric, Avenger

One affix is picked from these 4 categories to come up with a 4 affix champ/elite pack.

This is far more balanced and sensible than where you can get a combination that is excruciating for a particular class yet at the same time produce some combinations that are piss easy. This way you are pretty much guaranteed to get a pack that should provide a reasonable challenge to your class without being absurd.

Or they could give elites a budget. Not all affixes are created equal. Let's say something relatively harmless like Avenger and Electrified are worth 1 point, and Invulnerable is worth 4 points. Inferno elites are allowed to have a total of 5 or 6 points.

That way you cannot have something crazy like invulnerable/illusionist/shielding/horde, or something too easy like vampiric/avenger/missile dampen/health link.

To compensate for the loss in variety they should create more affixes. There's got to be more you can do with mobs.

Dahbomb

It was just a rough template, you can move around the affixes however way they make sense in the groupings. But I think I got the general idea across.

Or they could give elites a budget. Not all affixes are created equal. Let's say something relatively harmless like Avenger and Electrified are worth 1 point, and Invulnerable is worth 4 points. Inferno elites are allowed to have a total of 5 or 6 points.
I would be ok with this too.

Speaking of affixes: It's absolutely infuriating that certain affixes will block your ability to use potions or spells. Getting killed because you got jailed or frozen on top of lava/poison is fucking bullshit. It's even more fun when you die with all spells off of their cooldown and potions ready to go. The only thing even more hilarious is 3 lasers around you.

gg blizzard.

What class? Barb, for example has a CC breaker which is quite useful for other reasons too, but is literally a get out of jail free card.. And frozen - well just dont get frozen. The only time frozen is unavoidable is when they also have nightmare

dwebo

getting frozen isn't so bad, unless it's on a patch of something nasty

I fully expect them to change it so you can no longer block or dodge while frozen though, which will probably be primarily a barbarian nerf

Dahbomb

Invulnerable is much more manageable now after they nerfed it.

And it goes without saying but all affixes are perfectly fine alone but are GREATLY compounded by some vicious combination of some other affixes.

LukeSmith

spent my gold on trying to get more armor and resists and elite mobs still wreck me, fuck this game and its stupid ass bullshit, how am I supposed to get good stuff when I cant even survive? whoevers a DH, please help me on what gear I should get to be able to survive... These mobs fucking use rock traps and somehow drag me into their attacks, fucking annoying.

You can't really take any hits. Run Shadow Power/Gloom if you need to. I run it, Caltrops, Smokescreen (lingering), Prep, Hungering/Spray, Ele/Ball Lightning.

You can't really make any mistakes or you die. That's the class in Inferno.

Rufus

When fighting arcane, always get away from the ball when it drops, and always be moving if there is so much stuff on the screen that you risk not being able to see something
I know, I know. I just get greedy. I don't die much on my Barb, so I can afford a few deaths here and there.

And it goes without saying but all affixes are perfectly fine alone but are GREATLY compounded by some vicious combination of some other affixes.

This is true, but honestly i think its mostly fine the way it is now. I havent run into an unbeatable combo since 1.03, at all. Even killed a horde waller arcane in keep depths, which is a pretty tight area with no room to maneuver.

Sure maybe not everyone has as good gear as i do, but thats kind of the entire premise of the game. So skip it and find another champ till you have better gear. /shrug

Totakeke

Invulnerable and shielding more so than the others. Part of the reason is that those inhibit resource generation like spirit for monks. So you're basically robbed of your skills at the same time that you have to deal with an affix. Other affixes don't stop you from using your skills most of the time.

Fuck yes! Finally killed Ghom with my 13k dps monk. That was one hard goddamn fight.

What was your spec and strat?

I always have the whole room filled with gas.

You can't really take any hits. Run Shadow Power/Gloom if you need to. I run it, Caltrops, Smokescreen (lingering), Prep, Hungering/Spray, Ele/Ball Lightning.

What is Wizard like? Seems like they have less kiting.

LukeSmith

What is Wizard like? Seems like they have less kiting.

Easier in that it's less squishy, I kited way more on my Wizard - that was the class I killed Diablo Inferno with pre-nerf. My DH does a lot more standing and murdering than my Wizard did.

Anustart

How effective would stacking dex as a witch doctor be? Say I start gearing up in high dex high int gear with life regen. Would the extra dodge be noticeable at say, 1500 dex?

Sigmaah

I run the same as what you said, still die a lot... just gonna level up a monk or some other character for now :<

OTIX

Move around the edge of the room, move out of each cloud but no further. They should despawn before you get back around. The hard part was building for pure dps since my gear is quite lacking, his enrage timer is tight. Used Foresight, Blade Storm, Overawe, Blazing Wrath and Thunderclap for dps. Also Serenity, StI, OWE and Resolve. Would be much easier with Tempest Rush but there wasn't room for it.

ch0mp

How effective would stacking dex as a witch doctor be? Say I start gearing up in high dex high int gear with life regen. Would the extra dodge be noticeable at say, 1500 dex?
I don't think it would be any good:

Dodge

Dodge is a percentage chance to avoid all damage of an an attack. You can dodge melee, ranged and magical missile. It was stated that ground based (area) attacks can also be dodged (need confirmation). Dodge increases through dexterity.

DEX to dodge:
0 &#8211; 100 gives 0.1%
100 &#8211; 500 gives 0.025%
500 &#8211; 1000 gives 0.02%
1000 &#8211; 8000 gives 0.01%

Summed up:
100 dex&#8211;>10%
500 dex&#8211;>20%
1000dex&#8211;>30%
2000dex&#8212;>40%
3000dex&#8212;>50%

Whatd they do to nerf Invulnerable? Seems to me its still a group of people I cant kill and stay invulnerable forever and you have to take the leader down which is impossible because you have a bunch of invulnerable shitheads attacking you.

scy

Whatd they do to nerf Invulnerable? Seems to me its still a group of people I cant kill and stay invulnerable forever and you have to take the leader down which is impossible because you have a bunch of invulnerable shitheads attacking you.

Lowered the HP of the leader.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I've peaked around on the ah, and scratching my head here. Is this thing worth more than 30k?

o5Q8G.png

It is worth a lot more than 30k to a Tank Doctor. Decent Int, good resists, and some regen. Dex isn't a complete waste since it helps dodge a bit.

Lowered the HP of the leader.

Oh, still hate that one the most. I dunno I just feel its the worst affix they made and hopefully its removed. The rest no matter what you have a chance at splitting them up kiting them and taking them down one by one. Invulnerable is just a big fat gear check IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom