• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

equil

I need some gear advice.

This is my gear: http://i.imgur.com/C8em5.jpg
(I've upgraded the gems since i made this pic)
And my current stats: http://i.imgur.com/vzkdq.jpg

I would like to increase my DPS without losing my tankiness. Should i get rid of the shield and get another 1h wep with more LOH?
I thought about changing out the amethysts for ruby's but the extra health has saved me a couple times.(I've been mainly doing inferno boss runs for random people)

railGUN

Banned
Just nabbed this for 250k - I think it was a good deal, I was expecting to pay substantially more for decent dex, vit and crit in a helm. It should hold me off until I find a good deal on a dex based Andariel's Visage.

k7rvE.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think if you want to make any money, you need a 6 prop plan for armor.

Not really, I'm making money with 5-prop glove plans. It might be easier with 6-prop, though. :) Every pair of gloves that goes for 1m+ covers a lot of shoddy gloves that get instantly salvaged.

Only last 20 seconds -> Still about 5x as long as how long the Gargantuan lasts.

If you tank build your gargantuan can take quite a few hits in the new, easy-mode inferno. Choose the big stinker rune, have lots of Life--on-Hit, get healed whenever he gets near an enemy, PROFIT.

Switftlame

Neo Member
Not really, I'm making money with 5-prop glove plans. It might be easier with 6-prop, though. :) Every pair of gloves that goes for 1m+ covers a lot of shoddy gloves that get instantly salvaged.

If you tank build your gargantuan can take quite a few hits in the new, easy-mode inferno. Choose the big stinker rune, have lots of Life--on-Hit, get healed whenever he gets near an enemy, PROFIT.

i can craft the 6 prop gloves for 125k plus mats

Cipherr

http://www.twitch.tv/kingkongor

This barb is dual wielding and critting for 648k and shit with his cooldowns popped. Sweet jesus.

Finally got the beacons lit, yay progression..........and running away from elites I don't want to bother with/have no chance of killing.........

But damn at the repair bills =/

If only Blizzard made the big witch doctor pet viable, it would be a whole different story with him and templar standing in the way allowing me to stand back and pew pew pew

Your day is coming. 10 bucks says WD's have the meatiest changes when 1.1 comes along with the first batch of class changes.

Your day is coming. 10 bucks says WD's have the meatiest changes when 1.1 comes along with the first batch of class changes.
Besides pet Vitality, I don't know what will be buffed, but I do predict that Spirit Walk and Spirit Vessel will get nerfed since they are effective in allowing you to skip a lot of elite-based gear checks, kind of like what the other classes got nerfed for early on.

How in the fuck.

So Kripp spends 700k on armor for a few day old Monk, uses a 900 DPS weapon with Dex and about 800 life on hit and clears inferno. Winds with with 16k dps,750 resist, and 33k HP.

Right now he's doing a budget Barb which will prob be around the same or under 2 million excluding whatever the weapon is worth.

I feel like... I suck at this game so bad or something.

eek5

How in the fuck.

So Kripp spends 700k on armor for a few day old Monk, uses a 900 DPS weapon with Dex and about 800 life on hit and clears inferno. Winds with with 16k dps,750 resist, and 33k HP.

Right now he's doing a budget Barb which will prob be around the same or under 2 million excluding whatever the weapon is worth.

I feel like... I suck at this game so bad or something.

monk is strong!!

a1 with 500k:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fu9zw1J0EE

a2 with 200k:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoUKqg6SdA

barb a3 with 1m:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvkf9jPYrZY
http://www.twitch.tv/zrave/b/322716460

Totakeke

I have a new found hate for molten affixes on elites that run away. Can't chase them down, and when you finally hit them, they run away and you can't chase them down. Damnit.

What monk build is Kripp using anyway?

I can't get past early act 3 after having and spent 15 million between gold pick up and ah sales.

All this stuff is selling for so high on the gold AH and rmah AH and I just feel completely stupid for not being able to clear inferno with the time and gold I've gotten and spent. And I don't see why stuff sells for so high if it's not needed.

Woo-Fu

Banned
i can craft the 6 prop gloves for 125k plus mats

5 prop is 40k. Can't really ignore the cost of the 6-prop plan when talking about profitability, unless you're only talking with people who got it as a drop. ;)

Besides pet Vitality, I don't know what will be buffed, but I do predict that Spirit Walk and Spirit Vessel will get nerfed since they are effective in allowing you to skip a lot of elite-based gear checks, kind of like what the other classes got nerfed for early on.

Crazy talk. They don't allow you to skip any "elite-based gear checks". People who have played the WD extensively know the number one target for nerfing and it doesn't start with Spirit.
Acid Cloud will get nerfed, either officially or hidden footsteps, just a matter of time.

I'd like to see VQ changed up a bit, either so that it works in stages, or so that it only requires 3 cooldowns instead of 4.

Unless they introduce real aggro-manipulation I don't see pets ever being great for Inferno, except in special cases.

zoukka

still playing WD? what's your stats? Just started being successful in a2

Yep haven't started any other classes yet.

t7HDx.jpg

Resists around 500. Attack speed 2. The build is basically a pure darts build with maximum evasion. I can roll anything in act 2, but the dps is way too low for act 3 and the evasion doesn't help when you can't kill stuff as fast.

Sigh I think I need to go back to the zombie bores or build a tank-doctor, but that shit requires godly gear.

My WD is balanced quite nicely to handle many builds, but specializes in none :(

Switftlame

Neo Member
5 prop is 40k. Can't really ignore the cost of the 6-prop plan when talking about profitability, unless you're only talking with people who got it as a drop. ;)

Crazy talk. They don't allow you to skip any "elite-based gear checks". People who have played the WD extensively know the number one target for nerfing and it doesn't start with Spirit.
Acid Cloud will get nerfed, either officially or hidden footsteps, just a matter of time.

I'd like to see VQ changed up a bit, either so that it works in stages, or so that it only requires 3 cooldowns instead of 4.

Unless they introduce real aggro-manipulation I don't see pets ever being great for Inferno, except in special cases.

i bought mine for 39m theres my gold logs recently
Fkb0J.jpg

zZrzg.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yep haven't started any other classes yet.

t7HDx.jpg

Resists around 500. Attack speed 2. The build is basically a pure darts build with maximum evasion. I can roll anything in act 2, but the dps is way too low for act 3 and the evasion doesn't help when you can't kill stuff as fast.

Sigh I think I need to go back to the zombie bores or build a tank-doctor, but that shit requires godly gear.

My WD is balanced quite nicely to handle many builds, but specializes in none :(

I did both, tank doctor and bears. The gear isn't that expensive until you want to get to a point where you can breeze through Act 3. Indeed it was quite a bit cheaper than my stacked-IAS splinters gear. Thing is, there aren't that many witch doctors to begin with, and only a handful of them are pursuing tank builds so their isn't a lot of demand for the gear. I think the high pricing is more inflation than anything else.

fXsNy.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Finally got the beacons lit, yay progression..........and running away from elites I don't want to bother with/have no chance of killing.........

But damn at the repair bills =/

If only Blizzard made the big witch doctor pet viable, it would be a whole different story with him and templar standing in the way allowing me to stand back and pew pew pew

Your resists transfer to the pet, but I don't think it's enough, IMO. They need to patch in a fix that makes your vitality influence your pets, too.

Woo-Fu

Banned
So tank bears basically?

Yeah. Tank Doctor DPS is pretty low in general, bears helps a lot with that. DPS calcs only factor one bear hitting one target, but you're launching 3 bears per attack and those bears go through each target to hit targets behind them. Against one big mob your DPS is 3x base, against a pack of trash mobs it is even better. With darts each target melts quickly, with bears the entire mob melts quickly. Darts much better vs individual, small, agile targets, though.

I will admit I don't kill too many goblins by myself with this build, lol. :)

I have about 1500 life on hit between amulet and dagger. Big stinker rune on Gargantuan gives me Life on Hit procs and when that isn't enough or the gargantuan is down Acid Cloud-Acid Rain dropped on a target will regen my entire HP in a second or two. I'm sure the scaling with LoH for Acid Cloud is going to get nerfed pretty hard. I can stand in a pack of elites and just spam Acid Cloud and not have to worry about dying unless I get vortexed onto molten and then hit by 3 arcane lasers at once.

Like any VQ build though you spend most of your time managing cooldowns which isn't really on my top ten list of fun things to do.

Another great thing about the Tank Doctor build in the current meta is that you can pretty much ignore trash mobs and just run from elite pack to elite pack. High armor, high resists, shield, you just shrug off the hits. If you get too low you drop an acid cloud and keep moving.

desverger

FUCKING FUCK.

It's like it makes me not want to play anymore.

Do note that those stats are with the Barb's Wrath of the Berserker skill enabled

It gives you
+10% crit
+25% attack speed
+20% dodge
+20% movement speed

And he's probably runed it for +100% damage as well (I mean why wouldn't he).

Still impressive though :p

zoukka

Like any VQ build though you spend most of your time managing cooldowns which isn't really on my top ten list of fun things to do.

Pretty much why I built a darts build myself :)

But thanks man, great se hear from other WD's. Maybe I'll start looking for some tanking gear. I guess a 1hander with LOH will be the biggest investment and the amulet too.

Wallach

Super-high DPS characters with no other stats aren't that impressive to me anymore. Dude probably dies more than I do.

He's actually a great player. Did solo Inferno Diablo in a 4P game (the other three intentionally died at the outset) before the patches. He has good reactions and excellent decision making.

eek5

Haha, is he? I haven't watched him for a while, what's he been doing?

Edit - Wait, I'm thinking of Rowland. This is the EU player? He's a fucking asshole, nevermind.

Yeah it's the EU one. He "borrowed" an item from a viewer then sold it :lol

Wallach

Yeah it's the EU one. He "borrowed" an item from a viewer then sold it :lol

Yeah, this is the kid that went to try solo I. Diablo at the same time Rowland was doing it and was raging because it was beating his shit in (in a 1P game). Real clownshoes, doesn't surprise me he'd do something like that.

eek5

Yeah, this is the kid that went to try solo I. Diablo at the same time Rowland was doing it and was raging because it was beating his shit in (in a 1P game). Real clownshoes, doesn't surprise me he'd do something like that.

Yeah I saw that meltdown happening :lol He tried it like 25 times before I stopped watching

Woo-Fu

Banned
Pretty much why I built a darts build myself :)

But thanks man, great se hear from other WD's. Maybe I'll start looking for some tanking gear. I guess a 1hander with LOH will be the biggest investment and the amulet too.

I got a blue amulet drop with 590 LoH and 7% attack speed, so I just use that for now.

I bought my current dagger off the RMAH for $50 blizzbucks. I sold a bunch of $3 and $5 crap to build up the bank for it.

The rest of the pieces that I bought cost 50k-1m, you can find most of it pretty cheap. A good shield is going to cost at least 1m. I've been saving tank gear for awhile when farming with splinters build, "just in case". Just go to the auction house, put in 60 resist all, 60 vit, for all armors and see what you find, there will be some cheap stuff. Most people don't realize that there are Int-users who build tanky so the stuff with Int on it will be cheaper. Bonus!

equil

I need some gear advice.

This is my gear: http://i.imgur.com/C8em5.jpg
(I've upgraded the gems since i made this pic)
And my current stats: http://i.imgur.com/vzkdq.jpg

I would like to increase my DPS without losing my tankiness. Should i get rid of the shield and get another 1h wep with more LOH?
I thought about changing out the amethysts for ruby's but the extra health has saved me a couple times.(I've been mainly doing inferno boss runs for random people)

No ideas? :(

V_Arnold

I am THIS close to breaking Act2 down to a rotting piece of meat where I can nuke EVERYTHING with this crit-based build. Damn it. Act1 Inf is already easy enough so an elite group has 5-8 seconds to live. With act 2, they sometimes live more than 20-30 seconds (especially the flyers and the annoying belial-like casters.)

At the rate people are quitting...who knows :(

I would not worry about that. The game is here to stay, even if people leave. They will come back with legendary buffs, with PVP, with new content, etc. Usual business, imho.

At the rate people are quitting...who knows :(

Don't worry. Torchlight 2 got delayed to august so we have two more months of listening to Torchlight aka "THE TRUE SUCCESSOR TO DIABLO" partisans crying how bad D3 is and how T2 is going to be awesome and have better end-game :D

zoukka

I am THIS close to breaking Act2 down to a rotting piece of meat where I can nuke EVERYTHING with this crit-based build. Damn it. Act1 Inf is already easy enough so an elite group has 5-8 seconds to live. With act 2, they sometimes live more than 20-30 seconds (especially the flyers and the annoying belial-like casters.)

Act 2 is the new act 1 son. High dps ranged act 3 am cry.

Kenaras

Cyopl.png

An argument can be made this is a skill that improves active dodging. (vs simply running away)

Only if you think tooltip wording trumps in-game mechanics. As I've previously said, Vault's mechanics are unintuitive and don't match the tooltip. That's a definite problem, but the skill is apparently working as intended. Since you continue to try to use it the way you think it should work instead of the way it actually does work, it's no wonder you're frustrated.

They decided to make the arrows slow. If they didn't want me to actively dodge them then they should have made them faster instead of making the animations not match what's happening.

If arrows moved fast enough that you couldn't sidestep them on reaction, they'd also move fast enough to near-instantly hit already-moving targets. They'd also move too fast to be countered by Smokescreen or similar abilities. Blizzard wants arrows to be avoidable. They don't want them to be sidestepped on reaction once they're already in the air. They have stated the reasons they want it this way, and your suggestion doesn't result in the same game mechanics.

I said the lack of polish comes from the animations not matching what's going on. For a real time game, that's unpolished.

No, it isn't. It's a necessary evil which is present in nearly every real-time RPG.

Wouldn't it be simpler to do away with this gibberish and have all attacks work on a hitbox system?

Yes, it would be - at least in the case of a game like Diablo. In fact, it would be much simpler, which is why I find your contention that it is the result of a lack of polish so absurd. It would also result in completely different underlying mechanics.

One last question: do you think the current system of animations meaning nothing is superior to hitboxes and would actually prefer it to be used in other games? I can understand people accepting it but defending it... I don't get that.

And yes, I was bored enough to respond to this.

That statement is complete hyperbole. Animations and hitboxes both carry substantial meaning, and are used for resolving many different attacks. In any case, what I think is that the underlying gameplay mechanics are superior to what those gameplay mechanics would be if the game used strict hitbox detection for all attack resolution - at least without making substantial changes to the combat engine. Strict hitboxes can and do work well for a third-person ARPG designed to controlled on a gamepad, but not for an isometric point-and-click ARPG designed to be challenging.

And yes, I do prefer it to be used in other games when appropriate, and what's more it is used in other games when appropriate. It's standard for most RPGs, real-time or not. In an ideal world animations would perfectly match underlying game mechanics, but we don't live in an ideal world, and exact matching simply isn't feasible in all cases. Good underlying game mechanics are more important to me than perfectly matching animations and hitbox detection, and I've played enough RPGs to be used to it. Clearly you don't feel the same way.

To reiterate:

1) Backstepping to attempt to avoid every melee attack requires little strategy, and most players do not find it enjoyable to spend an entire gameplay session doing it. A few melee attacks with long wind-up times are meant to be avoided in this manner, but they're the exception, not the rule. For the game to be challenging, the designers have to assume players will play in the optimal manner. When the optimal manner isn't fun, that's a problem. Playing a melee class would be horrible if this were allowed and the game were balanced around the assumption that you would be doing it. On top of that, it would make it even easier than it already is for ranged classes to kite melee enemies.

2) Sidestepping arrows requires little strategy, and is fairly easy for ranged classes while being impossible for melee classes. In all honestly, arrows and other attacks like them are the only regular attacks which ranged players can't easily avoid. Assuming no mistakes, the only other abilities which threaten them are anti-kiting abilities. (Invisible snakes, phasebeast teleports, various elite affixes, etc.) It seems clear that Blizzard doesn't want ranged players ignoring defenses and stacking all offense; it isn't fair to melee classes, and this is one of the mechanics in place to discourage it. On top of that, the idea of watching an arrow flying towards you from relatively close range and sidestepping it at the last moment is ludicrous.

3) Personal preference, but I like mechanics which treat players and NPCs as closely as possible. Players benefit from these mechanics just like enemies do. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to play a melee chasing down a running enemy, get close enough to attack, then whiff the attack because the enemy is out of range before the attack animation finishes? Some games work this way, and it is not fun. Would you find it enjoyable if enemies continually sidestepped your arrows at the last second?

If I could think of a way to implement animations which retained the current mechanics while simultaneously perfectly matching them, I'd be critical of Blizzard for the current implementation. I can't think of a way, I haven't seen anyone suggest a way, and it's a problem inherent to the genre. That's why I'm willing to defend it. There are numerous problems with the game which I won't defend, but that's another topic.

Fularu

Banned
Don't worry. Torchlight 2 got delayed to august so we have two more months of listening to Torchlight aka "THE TRUE SUCCESSOR TO DIABLO" partisans crying how bad D3 is and how T2 is going to be awesome and have better end-game :D

While complaining that D3 looks too cartoony and WoW like (yes, I've seen people heralding T2 as the true D2 sequel claiming dunb stuff like that)

molten shielding nightmarish Arcane!

Fixed :p

V_Arnold

Act 2 is the new act 1 son. High dps ranged act 3 am cry.

I am dealing with those in closed areas, where there are corners so I can lure them into a patch of 5+ Energy twisters, then permafreeze, but in open areas...I just do not progress if I want to kill mobs, not run away from them. Luckily I killed Ghom and got waypoints legitimately by progressing before the nerf :D

Radec

Is the US server down?

I can't seem to Resume my game.

It just greyed out when I click the Resume Game.

Error 300008

:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom