• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilive1up

so, i'm trying a tanking witch doctor build.

dOTHq.png

it's going alright in act 1, i just need more vit,res, and a little more life on hit. pretty fun, though and very different than anything i've been doing.

scy

I see almost no one use retribution. I have to wonder about it, actually. Does it even return damage if you dodge? If it doesn't then isn't it pretty much useless on a monk? Also, is the 40% of damage sustained that's reflected mean 40% of the damage you actually take in or 40% of what the monster is hitting for? Because if it's what you actually take in, then yeah that's a useless mantra.

Yeah, it seems fundamentally opposed to a Monk in theory (Evasion) and damage reflect will largely depend on what kind of damage it is returning in the first place. How does that work with Life on Hit / Life Steal%, for one.

It's clearly meant to compete with Conviction as a DPS Aura just ... not sure if it actually does enough to warrant that.

#4 is the best in my opinion. Just disable any MF% swapping for a brief time (3 minutes may potentially be overkill). With the way enemies regen and how enrage timers work, eliminating MF% on swap during a kill for a short time is the easiest route. Of course, I'm lazy and don't like to gear swap so I'm a bit biased.

Also, what's with the random icons they used.

I'm fine with anything outside of 5. I don't see any way 5 gets voted in though, so shouldn't be much of an issue. I personally would have preferred if they just put in a way to swap gear instantly, but I understand why they won't go that route. At least this way end game gear WITH magic find should shoot up in value even more.

RMAH commodities are coming soon as well, excluding gold.

Ha, I wonder how much longer they'll keep pushing gold.

syllogism

The best option is removing MF and maybe allow stacking more valor (diminishing returns). Balancing your gear between MF and being as powerful as possible isn't a fun mechanic.

scy

The best option is removing MF and maybe allow stacking more valor (diminishing returns). Balancing your gear between MF and being as powerful as possible isn't a fun mechanic.

It does seem weird that they didn't just fully embrace Valor but I guess the shitstorm from no MF% affix would have been huge.

Don't like 1 or 5 at all, the other 3 are ok but slight variations on the same thing.

This is the most interesting bit:

It's worth keeping in mind that if we do implement a method to alleviate gear-swapping in combat, we'll simultaneously be looking at ways for players to get an added MF bonus to compensate.

Doesn't sound like these changes will be coming quickly anyway.

scosher

Don't like any of those options.

I would prefer simply restricting gear swaps except when in town. Then bring back a weapon swap hotkey like in D2, to allow certain classes to swap to a second set for sword/board.

DSmalls84

Options 2 and 3 are the best I think. With Option 3 I prefer the solution of using the lowest MF% in the past X minutes, rather than a rolling average.

Except for IAS, where I think a cap would have worked, attribute caps seem sort of antithetical to Diablo style games with such a huge focus on the items and stats over anything else (especially more so than WoW.)

I would be cool with the cap option. I run with about 60% on my normal gear anyway so it's not a huge deal.

eek5

Yeah, it seems fundamentally opposed to a Monk in theory (Evasion) and damage reflect will largely depend on what kind of damage it is returning in the first place. How does that work with Life on Hit / Life Steal%, for one.

It's clearly meant to compete with Conviction as a DPS Aura just ... not sure if it actually does enough to warrant that.
I'm pretty sure MoR reflect rune doesn't proc LoH at all

It does seem weird that they didn't just fully embrace Valor but I guess the shitstorm from no MF% affix would have been huge.

People pay good money for gear with magic find. I've sold a pair of pants with 100str/100vit/70AR for about $10, and the same pants with 18% MF for almost $100. Don't think the people building all in one sets would be too pleased with total MF removal.

*edit*

The thread for everyone to share feedback on the MF options is already a giant shitstorm. My brain hurts after reading just one page, god speed to Blizzard finding any useful feedback in there. :lol

Are we talking barb or monk?

I made it through to Ghom dual wielding with 6k armor and 600 resists and 900 LoH with my monk, killing all but 2 packs because I aggroed them both at the same time and had to run.

I died a few times but nothing too crazy.

Monk ... I'm on my way to Ghom. I'm doing it ... taking out packs too. I passed up two packs. One with molten and vortex and another with Desecrator Jailer Plaugued. It still feels squishy though. I have slightly less armor, slightly more res and slightly less LOH, so probably around the same as your monk.

I just feels like around 900 would be ideal, but I'm going to add another 200-300+ LOH to my build in the next couple of days and see if it's a noticable difference.

scy

I'm pretty sure MoR reflect rune doesn't proc LoH at all

Same but it's been awhile since I've ever even used MoR so I didn't want to say it for sure yet :x

People pay good money for gear with magic find. I've sold a pair of pants with 100str/100vit/70AR for about $10, and the same pants with 18% MF for almost $100. Don't think the people building all in one sets would be too pleased with total MF removal.

Now? Yeah. I mean from the original design. They should have went all-in with Valor then.

Jhriad

That would be me and you are correct in your assumption.

theta11

#4 is the best in my opinion. Just disable any MF% swapping for a brief time (3 minutes may potentially be overkill). With the way enemies regen and how enrage timers work, eliminating MF% on swap during a kill for a short time is the easiest route. Of course, I'm lazy and don't like to gear swap so I'm a bit biased.

Also, what's with the random icons they used.

4 is bad, infact they are all bad. MF isn't the only reason to swap gear. =/

I carry a shield and an off-hand weapon, why should I lose what little MF i have for changing gear. =/

scy

I carry a shield and an off-hand weapon, why should I lost what little MF i have for changing gear. =/

Just have it trigger only on gear swaps that change your MF%.

theta11

Just have it trigger only on gear swaps that change your MF%.

What if my shield had MF and I was switching to off-hand? MF would change and there would still be a penalty.

I would much rather see a gearswap page which is much less ideal for gameplay or MF removed as a stat on gear than any of those options.

Now? Yeah. I mean from the original design. They should have went all-in with Valor then.

Oh, I see what you were saying. A more robust and interesting valor system would have been pretty ace imo, but I think they felt MF is just something people expect in a Diablo game.

That would be me and you are correct in your assumption.

I'm really tempted to build a set, if only because I hate switching to my MF set. It's an incredibly tedious process at the end of a fight, but I find it almost mandatory in regards to quality of drops.

scy

What if my shield had MF and I was switching to off-hand? MF would change and there would still be a penalty.

I would much rather see a gearswap page which is much less ideal for gameplay or MF removed as a stat on gear than any of those options.

Then just zero out that changed slot. Cooldown the +MF%/+GF% bonus on just that slot. For instance, you have 150% MF and swapped to a +15% MF Shield. You have 150% MF for one minute and then 165% after the cooldown. Lets you swap for no penalty but doesn't let you swap for the sole purpose of spiking your MF%.

Oh, I see what you were saying. A more robust and interesting valor system would have been pretty ace imo, but I think they felt MF is just something people expect in a Diablo game.

Maybe more socket options for it? Dunno. I think I just want a better Valor system in general :x

I carry a shield and an off-hand weapon, why should I lose what little MF i have for changing gear. =/

Since its only for a very short time and since the effect of MF is marginal anyway, whats the big deal? Unless you just want to kill swap, in which case obviously anything preventing kill swap is going to make you unhappy

Monk ... I'm on my way to Ghom. I'm doing it ... taking out packs too. I passed up two packs. One with molten and vortex and another with Desecrator Jailer Plaugued. It still feels squishy though. I have slightly less armor, slightly more res and slightly less LOH, so probably around the same as your monk.

I just feels like around 900 would be ideal, but I'm going to add another 200-300+ LOH to my build in the next couple of days and see if it's a noticable difference.

900 is double stacked res everywhere (maybe not a couple slots), it's a shit ton. You're better off focusing on getting your damage up imo. You'll be standing around packs for less time if you can kill them faster

You should be able to stand in plagued just fine, maybe not desecrator though. If you're willing to, switch to transcendence and spam mantras every 3s. It heals for 3k without any additional lpss. With the right equipment (as in perfect) you can get that to heal to as much as 12k health each refresh. That's a route you can take if you aren't interested in LoH. Equipment is really competitive right now.

Kinda sad when the devs don't know what to do with their game anymore.

I mean, it's nice to have the community involved somehow for suggestions, but this feels like they got no clue whatsoever.

scy

Kinda sad when the devs don't know what to do with their game anymore.

I mean, it's nice to have the community involved somehow for suggestions, but this feels like they got no clue whatsoever.

Eh, I think it's more that they want the option that most people seem to support to try and have less backlash. Not that it's going to work out that way, mind you, but I think that's their intent.

theta11

Then just zero out that changed slot. Cooldown the +MF%/+GF% bonus on just that slot. For instance, you have 150% MF and swapped to a +15% MF Shield. You have 150% MF for one minute and then 165% after the cooldown. Lets you swap for no penalty but doesn't let you swap for the sole purpose of spiking your MF%.

That could work but it seems overly complicated and could be just as confusing.

I'll just continue to lobby for removal of MF from gear. >_>

Since its only for a very short time and since the effect of MF is marginal anyway, whats the big deal? Unless you just want to kill swap, in which case obviously anything preventing kill swap is going to make you unhappy

3 minutes is a long time. If an elite or champion pack is going to take over 3 minutes to kill I skip them, not that they ever do. I can either kill them in which case they die quickly or not at all. As regards to the effect of MF, it is actually noticable but tedious. I personally don't do it anymore but when I did do it I found more rares.

tn2007

So they want to nerf gear swapping instead of fixing it. Ok then I choose option 5, might as well piss everyone off including people that gear swap for certain enemies. I would rather them get rid of magic find on items or give us the ability to gear swap like D2 than any of these so call solutions.

Deadly

Since they're aware of the gear swapping, have they given a response about the scripts/programs and whatnot that automatically switch for you?

ugh! Why cant they just calculate the avg MF at 4 points of the creatures HP (75%, 50%, 25%, 0%) and calculate the resulting magic find.

100+100+100+350 = 162 MF

vs

250+250+250+250 = 250 MF

Their solutions to all these problems seem poorly thought out.

Are you going for the most convoluted solution possible? lolwat

theta11

ugh! Why cant they just calculate the avg MF at 4 points of the creatures HP (75%, 50%, 25%, 0%) and calculate the resulting magic find.

100+100+100+350 = 162 MF

vs

250+250+250+250 = 250 MF

That's more or less option 3. It seem's like the option with the least amount of cons but based on their design philosophy it is probably the least likely to be done.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I would prefer making crafting more useful and allowing us to refine items, example, take MF off of a piece of gear and put it on another piece. I know, won't happen.

theta11

I would prefer making crafting more useful and allowing us to refine items, example, take MF off of a piece of gear and put it on another piece. I know, won't happen.

Doing that would bring us back to the current problem. Doing that process would end up feeling mandatory.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
so blizzard is trying to fix the issue of people not being happy having to swap MF gear becasue it's really hard to get really great gear stat rolls and MF% together.

most of the solutions they have suggestted seem to create more compplications than just a simple solve. i think blizzard has a underlying motive to this nerf.

problem: players want to swap MF gear easier/simpler
solution: allow a 2nd char page with a hotbutton gear swap.

nerfing stuff, adding cooldowns, or anything they suggested doesnt make it easier for the player to swap their MF gear. i mean it seems they are trying to prevent people from gear swapping in order to solve the "ease" of using MF gear....but that goes against what they state that they have no problem with it in the first place.

*edit*: i dont have an issue with blizz changing MF as i dont gear swap yet...my problem lies with blizz nerfing MF but using another "problem" as the excuse for the nerf.

900 is double stacked res everywhere (maybe not a couple slots), it's a shit ton. You're better off focusing on getting your damage up imo. You'll be standing around packs for less time if you can kill them faster

You should be able to stand in plagued just fine, maybe not desecrator though. If you're willing to, switch to transcendence and spam mantras every 3s. It heals for 3k without any additional lpss. With the right equipment (as in perfect) you can get that to heal to as much as 12k health each refresh. That's a route you can take if you aren't interested in LoH. Equipment is really competitive right now.

I actually just recently geared about 75 LpSS into my gear so I can get rid of Transendence in place of The Gaudians Path for more Dodge.

Another 300 or so LOH would be easy. I just need to swap out one of my weapons for another with a socket. I already have the gem needed. I would have about 990 LOH after that. If I get better gems (plan on it anyway), then I would have about 1390 LOH with 2.2 APS.

I completely agree that I need to get my DPS up, (which won't be cheap). I sort of got angry at the enrage timer for belial because I felt like I was able to take him down before. I'm not so mad anymore. It forced me to get almost 19K DPS before hitting up Act III.

The one positive with the IAS nerf is that I've been able to gear my monk rather cheaply to get to where I am. I feel like I can continue on through inferno with my build and some improvments. It might not be as fun, but the gear pices aren't as intimidating as CRIT% and CRIT DMG%

They should just work on valor. Like add kill streaks, that MF so people who are just doing elite rushes should kill off all the little guys first.

Set a max MF as well. Something smaller, and then bump up the actual usefulnes of each%

RivalCore

The fuck? Did anyone lose any items from the AH during the downtime? I'm missing two 700dps 1Hs that were worth quite a bit of money from my list.

EDIT:

And now it's down again...FFS

zaxon

100+100+100+350 = 162 MF

vs

250+250+250+250 = 250 MF

This would result in people swapping gear out 4 times instead of one. Even if the checks were randomized it wouldn't fix anything, as people would still feel the need to swap out gear towards the end "just in case" one of the checks occurs then.

inky

MF cap sounds so stupid. Why did I bother then to build a gear with 315+ MF that I don't have to swap in the first place. Makes me feel I'm playing the game wrong just because I'm not "smart enough" to use a script. Heck, most of those options make me feel that way.

Meh, whatever, the only thing that bothers me about MF is that they average it out. Why do I have to be penalized if a friend with 0 MF joins my game (which happens all the time) if we already have separate drops anyway. That actually makes me want to play the game alone more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom