• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't even understand the reason why people pay this amount of money for these items.
I mean, what the hell is there to do? Beat the same boss you have beaten 5 times before but now 1 minute faster? What did people do in Diablo 2?

I'm not getting how these games have any longevity to them, really. It's all the same stuff, it's not like there are new worlds to explore in inferno, or crazy new bosses to defeat.

Macattk15

Bye Yoshi. Hope you stay out of this thread now that you quit, cause I can't take much more of your flippant attitude. I think you have a problem.

The Hermit

Only true Diablo fans knows how fucked up this game is.
I am not crazy like Yoshichan, so I didn't even tried Inferno the way it is now, but all his criticism plus thr DRM made me give up on it 2 weeks after it launched.

I'll be back when they fix a lot of those things, so maybe in an year or 2. For now the best thing DIII did for me was reinstalling D2

Snookie

LMAO i hit act 2 inferno last night. That is horrible. I think I'll just wait until it gets fixed instead of farming for gear just so i can play something that is broken. I do have arkham city that i need to finish!

Totakeke

Having the ability to be in the middle of mobs gives you the ability to make less mistakes.

I'm not recommending you always face tank mobs. I'm saying that some affixs/champion packs are easier when you kite, and easier in mid range, and easier at face range. With glass cannon, you have one choice, and with all res, you have three choices.

If you're fine with getting one shot off screen and avoiding certain affixes because they shit all over demon hunters, that's fine with me too.

I don't think anyone would debate having better overall gear is a bad thing. Again, he had much more dps and defense than I did. I believe he couldn't really survive in the midst of mobs if he had to made tradeoffs instead and his dps was lower than mine. But the way he was playing when I watched the stream made me think that that was the supposed playstyle for his build. It's definitely fine if he just played more normally/conservatively. So yeah, he has more options, but he also has better overall gear. If you were comparing with a 100+k dps vs his build with all res and just 80k dps then there's definitely a point.

But for my current level of gear, it's like asking me to drop down to 25k dps to gain that defence, which I think you'd agree that wouldn't work either.

Whatever, I love having Yoshi around in this thread, same as in the Dark Souls OT. His crazy antics are just another part of what makes it so fun. And Yoshi, no matter what you say, I'm not convinced you won't be playing this game again within the next 12 hours or so (if you aren't already). :p

Neki

I don't even understand the reason why people pay this amount of money for these items.
I mean, what the hell is there to do? Beat the same boss you have beaten 5 times before but now 1 minute faster? What did people do in Diablo 2?

I'm not getting how these games have any longevity to them, really. It's all the same stuff, it's not like there are new worlds to explore in inferno, or crazy new bosses to defeat.

People are paying for time invested. Instead of grinding for 5 hours in Diablo to try to get one good item, I can work at a $15.00 dollar job for 5 hours, get 75 dollars and use some of that to buy an item, and spend less time dying and more time killing shit.

I don't think anyone would debate having better overall gear is a bad thing. Again, he had much more dps and defense than I did. I believe he couldn't really survive in the midst of mobs if he had to made tradeoffs instead and his dps was lower than mine. But the way he was playing when I watched the stream made me think that that was the supposed playstyle for his build. It's definitely fine if he just played more normally/conservatively. So yeah, he has more options, but he also has better overall gear. If you were comparing with a 100+k dps vs his build with all res and just 80k dps then there's definitely a point.

But for my current level of gear, it's like asking me to drop down to 25k dps to gain that defence, which I think you'd agree that wouldn't work either.

If you're trying to build all res by sacrificing DPS, then you're building a DH wrong. Monks and barbs can get away with that, DH's can't. You have to build up your all res and dps at the same time. It was much easier to do when all res gear was cheaper, but now it's relatively expensive. (Though all equipment has inflated in price). If you can afford to go all res/dps, then I'd say go for it, but if you can only afford to go glass cannon, that's fine too. I'd say 95% of the DH population builds glass cannon, since I only know swiftlame as the only other person who goes the same build as me. We're basically wearing glorified monk shit. :p

I am not crazy like Yoshichan, so I didn't even tried Inferno the way it is now, but all his criticism plus thr DRM made me give up on it 2 weeks after it launched.

I'll be back when they fix a lot of those things, so maybe in an year or 2. For now the best thing DIII did for me was reinstalling D2

I played D2 for 3 years and I think D3 is better.

What now ?

Game is a lot of fun when you have at least 3 other real life friends that are online when you are on a regular basis. Have to use ventrilo to do voice chat but it works (should have been included in the game, but whatever).

What isn't fun is the fact that I haven't found an item I actually wanted to use in ages, every item that drops is just vendor trash or gets auctioned off to eventually buy something better suited. Act 2 inferno is still pretty much impossible to progress through at any kind of bearable rate when in a group and we must have killed the inferno butcher hundreds of times now and that's getting real old. Well, they're "fixing" act 2 but whatever.

I'm having a hard time even imagining how I'll be able to upgrade in any meaningful fashion now as gear that is even a like 5% improvement is millions upon millions of gold per item... I just don't see any way to make myself much more powerful and there are 3 acts to go on inferno. I am damn well not buying virtual garbage for real money, it goes against pretty much every fibre of my being for being a total waste of money not to mention pretty much bypassing the actual game itself... I mean, the point of a game is to play it... spending money on the RMAH is basically just pay to win and it reminds me way too much of all of the trash that is called the mobile game market. If the game was going to be like this, forcing you into RMAH to progress at any reasonable rate through the end game they might as well have made the D3 client free and let you spend $60 in the auction house right?

As for D2, I too had fond memories of it... and well, it came with LOD in my D3 CE... of course, my original install discs for D2 are long lost so I haven't played it in ages ... I installed it during one of the many server downtimes and I can say with certainty I was looking back at that game with rose tinted glasses - it was pretty painful to play after spending all that time in D3. Sure D2 did some things better but D3 is a lot more enjoyable to just pick up and play if you ask me.

I have not played nearly as much as some people I know, maybe 80 hours... but still, the best item anybody I know has ever found was found by me... it was the tal rasha set amulet and even then I was only able to wring 2 million gold for it out of the AH which is peanuts when it comes to gearing up for inferno even with my being patient and hunting for deals.

LMAO i hit act 2 inferno last night. That is horrible. I think I'll just wait until it gets fixed instead of farming for gear just so i can play something that is broken. I do have arkham city that i need to finish!

Might as well. You're farming for gold btw, the odds that you'll find something useful in Act 1 are pretty low. Also, with how crazy inflated the AH is you'll be grinding a long time to get gear appropriate for Act 2

I'd suggest starting a new character in the meantime, by which I mean when Blizzard lets you

rCIZZLE

People played the amazingly deep pvp mode.

kagete

If you're trying to build all res by sacrificing DPS, then you're building a DH wrong. Monks and barbs can get away with that, DH's can't. You have to build up your all res and dps at the same time. It was much easier to do when all res gear was cheaper, but now it's relatively expensive. (Though all equipment has inflated in price). If you can afford to go all res/dps, then I'd say go for it, but if you can only afford to go glass cannon, that's fine too. I'd say 95% of the DH population builds glass cannon, since I only know swiftlame as the only other person who goes the same build as me. We're basically wearing glorified monk shit. :p

Thorinbei is running a tanky WD that sacrifices a bit of DPS for all resists+vit. I don't know his all resists but when we party his lifebar is above 40k hp!

ElyrionX

Why the fuck are we getting another goddamn maintenance two nights in a row? This is the time after work for South-East Asians, goddamnit. They should just schedule it at the wee hours of the morning in the US when us Asians are still at work so when we get home at night (morning in the US), we can play. That works out for everyone on the US servers.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I haven't sold anything, and I put my stuff up during the initial rush. Most of my stuff is between $2-$5. Most stuff is better than what people have been posting here that have sold. It's really fucking annoying. I'm not having any luck with the gold auction house either. I've looked at similar gear to see what to price it at, did some undercutting, and my shit rarely sells. I can't even make money through the normal fucking auction house.

And now that they limit the amount of runs you can do, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

tip for selling something on gah...

dont put buyout prices. set a very low opening bid number. let the economy sort out what people are willing to pay for it. on average youll be pleased and not feel cheated. plus you wont still be waiting on your 10m xbow to sell like everyone else.

Why the fuck are we getting another goddamn maintenance two nights in a row? This is the time after work for South-East Asians, goddamnit. They should just schedule it at the wee hours of the morning in the US when us Asians are still at work so when we get home at night (morning in the US), we can play. That works out for everyone on the US servers.
I'm guessing they just do it whenever it's most convenient for them. It seems like a "we'll get on this first thing in the morning" type deal.

Switftlame

Neo Member

none of my gear ever made me drop in dps i specifically picked every piece to balance dps some slots are very heavy dps like my rings others very defensive like my chest or belt
http://i.imgur.com/mgB6P.jpg forgot to take a picture of my nats ring ><

Also the problem with RMAH is the $1 transaction fee which makes listing items for less than say, $1.50 completely useless after paypal fees etc. etc. and there are hardly any items in the game even worth a couple real dollars to 99% of the population.

Transaction fee should be straight percentage based on items up to some certain value to give the RMAH room for items that are less than uber.

I put a lot of decent level 60+ items on RMAH as soon as it was up all with starting bids at between 1.25 and 1.50 (just so I could say I made a few cents... ) and have 0 bids on anything so far which tells me that this system is broken for anything but uber items which a select few seem to be willing to pay $250 freaking dollars for (brain damage...).

ElyrionX

I'm guessing they just do it whenever it's most convenient for them. It seems like a "we'll get on this first thing in the morning" type deal.

Which is pretty fucked up for an online-only game. I'm not one of those who thinks online-only is a bad idea because there was no way I was going to play this offline anyway. But you'd think that for such a huge company like Blizzard, they'd be able to pay their staff well enough to make them come in at odd hours on certain days just for shit like this.

OTIX

Yikes, I'm sure glad I picked a Wizard for my first character, hearing about all the bad experiences other classes are having.

Hopefully 1.0.3 will hit before my other chars reach Inferno.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yoshi rage quit? Could someone post a link to his post where he said this? The thread moves too damn fast for me to keep up, lol!

Personally I love the game. I don't see me playing it as much as D2, but I'll be dabbling with it periodically for years to come I'm sure. You know, after I get one of each class up to level 60. And I still need to get just ONE class to 60. Level 58 wizard, slowly climbing his way up....

Also the problem with RMAH is the $1 transaction fee which makes listing items for less than say, $1.50 completely useless after paypal fees etc. etc. and there are hardly any items in the game even worth a couple real dollars to 99% of the population.

Transaction fee should be straight percentage based on items up to some certain value to give the RMAH room for items that are less than uber.

I put a lot of decent level 60+ items on RMAH as soon as it was up all with starting bids at between 1.25 and 1.50 (just so I could say I made a few cents... ) and have 0 bids on anything so far which tells me that this system is broken for anything but uber items which a select few seem to be willing to pay $250 freaking dollars for (brain damage...).
Not saying you're right or wrong (and if I had to guess I'd say you're mostly right), but it's going to take at least a week or two before we get a good feel for how the RMAH operates and how "broken" it is. There is still some fluctuating that needs to happen.

Which is pretty fucked up for an online-only game. I'm not one of those who thinks online-only is a bad idea because there was no way I was going to play this offline anyway. But you'd think that for such a huge company like Blizzard, they'd be able to pay their staff well enough to make them come in at odd hours on certain days just for shit like this.
Yeah, I agree.

LiK

Yikes, I'm sure glad I picked a Wizard for my first character, hearing about all the bad experiences other classes are having.

I have a lvl 60 Wizard and I guess I should focus on better gear with her? Been lvling up my Monk instead.

rCIZZLE

Inferno isn't that hard if you're reasonably geared which also isn't very difficult to accomplish. If anything inferno should have been buffed.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People are paying for time invested. Instead of grinding for 5 hours in Diablo to try to get one good item, I can work at a $15.00 dollar job for 5 hours, get 75 dollars and use some of that to buy an item, and spend less time dying and more time killing shit.

I get that. But pay over 100$ for an item to basically do the exact same thing you did 3 times before? Why.

I could understand doing that if inferno mode offered new content, or new bosses, anything. There is literally nothing to do there that you haven't done multiple times already, and yet people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars just to get there. I just find it baffling.

scy

Personally speaking, a lot of the gripes are unfounded. I mean, yeah, Barb/Monk need more gear to progress but it's less due to them being terrible but that it's a lot faster to kite enemies than farm gear needed for melee. Since dying was practically without any penalty, the ranged classes could freely do pure DPS kiting builds for progression.

I get that. But pay over 100$ for an item to basically do the exact same thing you did 3 times before? Why.

I could understand doing that if inferno mode offered new content, or new bosses, anything. There is literally nothing to do there that you haven't done multiple times already, and yet people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars just to get there. I just find it baffling.

Dude, i've spent hundreds of pounds on metal miniatures that sit in a wardrobe all day gathering dust, people just spend a fuckton on bizarre hobbies.

D3 > D2. You haven't even tried Inferno and you're complaining? Wow.

Personally speaking, a lot of the gripes are unfounded. I mean, yeah, Barb/Monk need more gear to progress but it's less due to them being terrible but that it's a lot faster to kite enemies than farm gear needed for melee. Since dying was practically without any penalty, the ranged classes could freely do pure DPS kiting builds for progression.
I agree. I cleared Act II inferno with my monk a few days ago (with two friends, a barb and a wd) and I didn't find the balance to be completely unreasonable. Don't get me wrong, it is very difficult and it's absolutely a brick wall at first but after buying a few key pieces of gear (in the 300k to 800k range, nothing extremely expensive) and changing up my strategy/build a little I've found the balance to be just about right minus the occasional group of elites that just have all the worst affixes for me.

Act II inferno is by far a bigger road block than anything before it but it isn't ridiculously difficult to work your way through it. I haven't been playing the game non-stop or anything and I've really only gotten 1 great drop (a set-piece from Act I that I sold for 1 mil).

Personally I'm fine with the difficulty as it is.

I feel like Scy is one of the few people who's opinions and thoughts on Diablo 3 gel with mine.

Side note: I feel like people have a problem with having to farm in Diablo 3 to make progress and in their next breath complain about how AH has taken away the reason to farm. I personally believe that really the main thing you can't obtain successfully in Act 1 is the weapons, I've got crazy armor, rings and shields from Act 1.

The sensible solution is to sell the armor that is great and buy the weapon that you can't obtain. I sold a pair of rare pants from Act one for 2.5 million gold last night.

I'm not worried about "progression" because I feel like the whole reason I personally play a Diablo game is the slow grind for items. I have no problem with everything going on. If some rich guy in Texas(I picture some oil tycoon as the person who uses RMAH for some reason) buys his way to a perfect suit it in no way impacts my game play.

Oh well, I'll keep loving this game to death and await 1.03 to allow me to move forward.

(I do loathe the downtime.)

Edit: Can't wait until PvP comes out and they introduce resilience like in WoW and everyone needs new armor.

Kunohara

tip for selling something on gah...

dont put buyout prices. set a very low opening bid number. let the economy sort out what people are willing to pay for it. on average youll be pleased and not feel cheated. plus you wont still be waiting on your 10m xbow to sell like everyone else.

I wish I had something worth millions. The highest thing I've been able to sell was for 30k. Just once mind you. The other things I've managed to sell was between 2k-5k, and that was just a couple of things.

I've always put buyouts because I figured people didn't want to wait by bidding. I mean, I never look at items with no buyout. If I want to get something, I want it now so I can use it now, not wait a day and a half for it.

i guess I could try it and see if it works. My method so far hasn't so why not?

Kyoufu

The melee issue isn't really unfounded. DH and Wizard gets to farm with average gear while melees have to have good gear and even then it's a battle of blood, sweat and tears just for a 5 stack.

Not to mention there's like 2 affixes that screw glass cannons. There's around 5 that really destroy melees.

That's not even my biggest gripe with the game though. There are other far more concerning issues, some are being fixed in the next patch and some may never be changed.

MF gear average in groups is one big problem. Well, to me it's a problem when a friend would rather solo than duo with me just because he gets more loot when playing alone. That is awful in what is supposed to be a social game.

For now, I'll be happy with the 1.03 changes to spike damage and Shielding/Invulnerable Minions affix.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Man, I venture into the official forums because of the maintenance and the first thing I read is someone is complaining that people are switching into MF gear and want people to lose NV buff when they change equipment. Looks like Blizzard have their job done for them.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5642267396?page=1

It makes sense and I'll be surprised if they don't eventually do something like this to discourage gear switching. I don't know if it would be good or bad, but the way it is now kinda goes against the philosophy they have with this game.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I wish I had something worth millions. The highest thing I've been able to sell was for 30k. Just once mind you. The other things I've managed to sell was between 2k-5k, and that was just a couple of things.

I've always put buyouts because I figured people didn't want to wait by bidding. I mean, I never look at items with no buyout. If I want to get something, I want it now so I can use it now, not wait a day and a half for it.

i guess I could try it and see if it works. My method so far hasn't so why not?

I dunno, even at like level 30 I was selling stuff for 5-10k easily. Even flipped a level 17 legendary for 50k. Are you selling stuff that classes want?

Totakeke

Thank god Asia server is up.

US server is also up actually, but not the AH last I checked.

It makes sense and I'll be surprised if they don't eventually do something like this to discourage gear switching. I don't know if it would be good or bad, but the way it is now kinda goes against the philosophy they have with this game.

I don't disagree, but I thought being able to switch gear allowed someone the minimal freedom to handle certain elite affixes while staying with the same set of skills. If you lock down both gear and skills, then you're even more constrained when dealing with difficult elite affixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom