• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

I don't get this. I have almost half his dps, mainly glass cannon, but I play not that differently from what he's doing which is dodging shots and dps'ing. Like Ferrio said, you're basically trading one Discipline skill for another (SS to SP). My crowd control is much better and I use tactical advantage to set up positions so I have longer intervals between dps and running. But other than that, what's the big deal? He still dies from those annoying spears if he doesn't SP in time which is the same for me.

Running an all res DH gives you way more leeway. He can take two-three hits from spearman, and he can also take one hit from some melee mobs, and one mortar from all champion packs. His CC is the exact same as yours too, he runs Displacement on Smoke Screen and he still runs Caltrops.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yoshichan also rage quit SF4 because they patched it and made his character just "pretty good" instead of "super retardedly overpowered." So I mean, he may or may not have valid arguments about Diablo 3, but when those arguments come from someone else's mouth I take them a lot more seriously.

Game has kinks and problems that are hard to deny, but I'm enjoying it overall and I feel like I've gotten more than my money's worth so far. Probably helped that I didn't build it up to myself to a ridiculous degree and take a week off of work to play it or something.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
These aren't half bad for a Monk/DH, right?
ibvQlwwNex5GK.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I hope your serious.
I am serious. I am not touching another click'n'slash-game though.
I love hyperbole.
This is no hyperbole, I am done with this game.
The fact yoshichan is already done with diablo 3 scares me
Me, along with every single buddy of mine that hyped the game. Most of us have already re-installed Diablo 2.
He cant exist in the "okay, I am just chilling right now" phase, he either loves it or hates it. That is not a property that really has anything to do with Diablo III, though, it can happen with any object that one can relate to :p
No. I simply do not have time to play D3 when there are much, much better games out there. I truly am out of this train. The only times I'll be playing this game is when I'm going to be helping people out with pre-inferno-stuff.

As somebody who followed your hype for this game, I was curious what were the main reasons why you disliked the game?
Diablo III doesn't know what it wants to do. They made gold way too powerful, which is okay, but they also kept nerfing every possible gold-farm-location in the game. The loot-drop-table is by far the worst thing I've ever experienced in gaming. The inferno-act2/3-scaling is abysmal (they're going to fix this in 1.0.3 though). The soundtrack overall isn't memorable enough. Most runes are boring as fuck. There are still cookie-cutter builds in this game. PvP is officially ruined because of how fucked up the economy and gear is. RMAH affected the gold in-game way too much. The balance between melee and range is terrible. Oh, and when I beat the game on inferno, I felt done with the game.

I can keep going. It's just a mess overall.

Totakeke

Running an all res DH gives you way more leeway. He can take two-three hits from spearman, and he can also take one hit from some melee mobs, and one mortar from all champion packs. His CC is the exact same as yours too, he runs Displacement on Smoke Screen and he still runs Caltrops.

Nope, I run Rain of Vengeance and I have a cold bow. Mortar is like one of the easy affixes as long they don't also have illusionist. You just stand still and shoot and then SS when they mortar you. His build will be better at bosses no doubt. But again, he's not glass cannon and he has almost twice the dps of mine, I'm clearing the same areas as him but he's not really doing it much faster for the much better gear he probably has.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ragnarok Online with 0.01% card drop rate from mobs says hi.
I played RO and the drop table is better than D3. I also played Legend of Mir 2 for 7 years and farmed an item for 3 years without ever getting the item. D3 is still worse than both of those games.

elfinke

Game is great. Listed a handful of reasonably equal stuff on both auction houses, be interesting to see how they go. The AH was one of my favourite things about vanilla WoW, and this is no different so far. Still haven't dinged 60 with my WD; I'm making fairly hard work of the 50-60 slog at the moment (that and Tribes keeps getting in the way).

Been getting a stack of good drops, that are either sellable or usable too, which is nice. In fact, getting a usable drop gives good pause for thought while I work out whether I use it or try to hock it for monies with a view to improving some other element of my setup. That's a really great dynamic brought about by the AH.

The game has been delightfully lag free these last few evenings, which is great too! Roll on 1.03 and we'll be laughing. The fucking hyperbole in this thread... Oh man. Lol.

Neki

Nope, I run Rain of Vengeance and I have a cold bow. Mortar is like one of the easy affixes as long they don't also have illusionist. You just stand still and shoot and then SS when they mortar you. His build will be better at bosses no doubt. But again, he's not glass cannon and he has almost twice the dps of mine, I'm clearing the same areas as him but he's not really doing it much faster for the much better gear he probably has.

He can run Rain of Vengeance too. Bat Companion is for maximum dps. :p

Stupid question I know... but is there any way of telling if any of the yellows I've picked up are actually any good? I don't really understand the auction house too well (mostly what to price stuff at) and whilst I've got a pretty good idea of what stats characters use, I don't really know how well some of them compare to other similar level gear.

I have a stash full of disenchant bait! :D

Totakeke

He can run Rain of Vengeance too. Bat Companion is for maximum dps. :p

That is true, but he's also putting much more effort than me playing his style. :p

I just CC and run and setup to shoot to kill. He's dancing around in and out of mobs. It looks more attractive, but I'll stick with my setup. Haha.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
From beating the game in a day and getting websites to post about him to quitting Diablo 3.

What a roller coaster. I feel like I missed out on something grand by not hanging out in this thread.

gaming_noob

Why am I getting SMS verification codes from Blizzard in the middle of the night? Logged into my account and everything is fine. No more locks from suspicious activity or anything. I can't figure it out unless it's delayed RMAH ones from when I couldn't get them to work yesterday.

(Have an authenticator and SMS protect or whatever it is)

I got the same thing. Strange I got all my messages without delay when I was setting rmah up.

I'm a little worried since my account has been compromised before.

Eliciel

Ragnarok Online with 0.01% card drop rate from mobs says hi.

I played RO for over 5 years and despite the fact that it's drop rates were really low it had a different vibe/appeal to play RO than Diablo III. In the end RO is a MMORPG and Diablo III is not. As much as I like Diablo III for it's simplicity RO was better by a big shot the time it came out.

But don't get me wrong I really like Diablo III, but it has its flaws.

Neki

That is true, but he's also putting much more effort than me playing his style. :p

I just CC and run and setup to shoot to kill. He's dancing around in and out of mobs. It looks more attractive, but I'll stick with my setup. Haha.

A glass cannon DH telling me that an all res DH is putting in more effort to kill mobs.

I've seen it all.

Totakeke

A glass cannon DH telling me that an all res DH is putting in more effort to kill mobs.

I've seen it all.

Yes, because he's not a tank. He's still squishy. Watch a tank barb or a LOH monk that's well equipped enough to seem like they're not really caring and kill mobs. He's still has to evade attacks to survive. There's a difference. Tell me what part of that stream doesn't make it seem like he's putting effort in dodging in and out while being face to face with mobs? And for what?

Morokh

Still haven't dinged 60 with my WD; I'm making fairly hard work of the 50-60 slog at the moment (that and Tribes keeps getting in the way).

Assuming your WD is your fist character, I really hope you can go to 60 and play some before 1.03 hits so you can actually see for yourself what people are complaining about.

Neki

Yes, because he's not a tank. He's still squishy. Watch a tank barb or a LOH monk that's well equipped enough to seem like they're not really caring and kill mobs. He's still has to evade attacks to survive. There's a difference. Tell me what part of that stream doesn't make it seem like he's putting effort in dodging in and out while being face to face with mobs? And for what?

Why are you talking about monks and barbs? I'm talking about demon hunters.

Totakeke

Why are we talking about monks and barbs? We're talking about demon hunters.

Alright, so we established that he's not a tank. Tell me what part of that stream that he's not putting in effort to kill stuffs? He's stutter stepping around, if he messes up he dies. How is that easier from a glass cannon DH which just wants to stay as far away as mobs as possible? If he wants points for build creativity and I'll give him that, but I don't see the advantage of it.

Omikron

I am still playing my first character (also a WD), only up to Act 1 Nightmare and level 38.

These server down times right when I can actually play are killing me. How long is this one likely to last?

Neki

Alright, so we established that he's not a tank. Tell me what part of that stream that he's not putting in effort to kill stuffs? He's stutter stepping around, if he messes up he dies. How is that easier from a glass cannon DH which just wants to stay as far away as mobs as possible?

I never said he wasn't putting in effort. Can you please stop putting words in my mouth? I'm saying he puts in less effort in most cases, given that he has much more leeway to take hits. He is able to fight mobs even without kiting room because of the build. Stop trying to infer that I'm saying that all res DH take no effort, I'm saying that you build all res so you have room for mistakes.

Switftlame

Neo Member
Alright, so we established that he's not a tank. Tell me what part of that stream that he's not putting in effort to kill stuffs? He's stutter stepping around, if he messes up he dies. How is that easier from a glass cannon DH which just wants to stay as far away as mobs as possible? If he wants points for build creativity and I'll give him that, but I don't see the advantage of it.

if u want to stream so i can watch you go up to 28 sec respawn timers and leave games when u get bad affixs feel free.

Totakeke

I never said he wasn't putting in effort. Can you please stop putting words in my mouth? I'm saying he puts in less effort in most cases, given that he has much more leeway to take hits. He is able to fight mobs even without kiting room because of the build. Stop trying to infer that I'm saying that all res DH take no effort, I'm saying that you build all res so you have room for mistakes.

Being in the middle of a pack of mobs gives you less room for mistakes.

if u want to stream so i can watch you go up to 28 sec respawn timers and leave games when u get bad affixs feel free.

I despise reflect damage very much, but then again being able to kill every affix isn't really my goal. I appreciate your stream though, you definitely put effort into your character and it was educational.

From beating the game in a day and getting websites to post about him to quitting Diablo 3.

What a roller coaster. I feel like I missed out on something grand by not hanging out in this thread.

That is standard operating procedure for Yoshichan.

You don't need to feel like you missed anything at all.

He'll repeat the cycle for another game...and another.

Stasis

Diablo III doesn't know what it wants to do. They made gold way too powerful, which is okay, but they also kept nerfing every possible gold-farm-location in the game. The loot-drop-table is by far the worst thing I've ever experienced in gaming.

I think pretty much anyone playing D3, whether they love it or hate it currently, can agree with the above. 1.03 or bust baby!

Neki

Being in the middle of a pack of mobs gives you less room for mistakes.

Having the ability to be in the middle of mobs gives you the ability to make less mistakes.

I'm not recommending you always face tank mobs. I'm saying that some affixs/champion packs are easier when you kite, and easier in mid range, and easier at face range. With glass cannon, you have one choice, and with all res, you have three choices.

If you're fine with getting one shot off screen and avoiding certain affixes because they shit all over demon hunters, that's fine with me too.

DH is gonna get screwed over in their inevitable nerf due to initial complaints. I'm convinced they're actually one of the worst classes because they rely on a playstyle that simply cannot happen in HC.

So yeah, if somebody found a way to make DH's not die, then you can't argue against that, they seriously need gear that makes them not die.

Switftlame

Neo Member
DH is gonna get screwed over in their inevitable nerf due to initial complaints. I'm convinced they're actually one of the worst classes because they rely on a playstyle that simply cannot happen in HC.

So yeah, if somebody found a way to make DH's not die, then you can't argue against that, they seriously need gear that makes them not die.

my vods http://www.twitch.tv/swiftlame all of the deaths could of been avoided if it wasnt 3 am and i ran from some of those affixs on elites

C.Dark.DN

Banned
It's just more in the open now - but buying items on mmos has been around since diablp 2/ultima. I made about $3000 as a 13 year old kid playing ultima, nothing new. It's just easier to do now, but "pay to win" is in every game, just a black market.
Paying for items in WoW and this game are very different.

Playing the gold auction house gives very little benefit in PVE progression and getting geared out. Selling things for cash also gives very little benefit unless you bought a geared toon or bought a raid spot. Very niche.

In this game, you can and pretty much are forced to buy full progression through gold or cash.

Farming solo is very ineffiencent. I know 1.03 is coming but I think a lot of people dislike that buying progression through gold or cash is the most efficient and viable way.

That's more in your face than any mmo's black market.

Maybe it's Diablo noobs who feel this way, but I don't like it at all.

Shit RNG loot left and right is not fun to me. Spending hours buying and reselling isn't fun to me, which is also one of the most efficient way to progress.

If its the wrong game for me that's ok.

Kunohara

haven't sold anything at $10. might just drop everything to $5

I haven't sold anything, and I put my stuff up during the initial rush. Most of my stuff is between $2-$5. Most stuff is better than what people have been posting here that have sold. It's really fucking annoying. I'm not having any luck with the gold auction house either. I've looked at similar gear to see what to price it at, did some undercutting, and my shit rarely sells. I can't even make money through the normal fucking auction house.

And now that they limit the amount of runs you can do, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Number45

I think pretty much anyone playing D3, whether they love it or hate it currently, can agree with the above. 1.03 or bust baby!
That would depend on how you're playing the game, I've made my way through Act I of Inferno with a melee class without ever buying from the AH. Gold cost/farming is irrelevant to me, the loot table issue will become apparent I'm sure once I step in to Act II - but 1.03 looks like it'll give me what I need.

Aesthet1c

Got an email last night that a mediocre belt of mine sold for $40. Went to sleep a happy man.

Woke up this morning, loaded D3 to check my auctions, the transaction failed and my item was returned to me. wtf....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom