• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripes55

Neo Member
So, are there any lower-level legendaries in this game, after all the patching? I got a couple of (useless) ones within a week of starting the game, but nothing in, say, the last 6-7 weeks. Do you need to have some ridiculous level of MF in order to even think about getting one? Or am I just not lucky enough with the item rolls.

Oh, and by "lower level", I actually mean less than 60. I have a Monk 51 (Act 1, Hell) and a Barb 44 (about to complete Act 2 NM if I would stop being STUPID when fighting Belial), so I was wondering if I might stumble upon an orange item anytime soon.

Anustart

Seems radiant star's cost around 15,400,000 to craft. I doubt that includes the cost of the tomes, so that would be extra, at current trade prices, approximately 3 million extra. Crafting the gem would be ~18 million, with $7 made per gem if prices hold.

LordCanti

That post says that crit is OK because it doesn't limit build diversity in the same way that IAS did (basically IAS was so good that it almost forced people to gear AND spec a certain way).

Crit is the same though. It forces crit chance + crit damage on any and all pieces that it can be found on. Their argument is nuts.

They should watch some streams some time. Get your crit chance to 40%, crit damage around 100% extra, and suddenly you can crit bosses dead in seconds.

Number45

Crit is the same though. It forces crit chance + crit damage on any and all pieces that it can be found on. Their argument is nuts.

They should watch some streams some time. Get your crit chance to 40%, crit damage around 100% extra, and suddenly you can crit bosses dead in seconds.
It's the spec that is the issue though, clearly the crit combination is viable for enough builds that it's not an issue.

inky

You can get crit chance to 60%+, Crit Damage to 400%+ and crit everything in seconds. How are they going to keep it as is for PvP is beyond me. (I think they'll cap it around that time tbh).

Madn

I'm a monk and I've got some gloves with 170 dexterity, 6 attack speed and 85 combining all resist and my choice of resist.
For an upgrade should I switch to crit chance and crit damage even if it means losing lots of resist?

syllogism

You still don't understand what he is saying. He is saying that IAS, for instance, made resource using skills much worse because IAS means you will just burn through resources faster and then your main damage dealer will be your signature attacks. For instance high IAS makes skills like disintegrate worthless. IAS didn't just increase your dps by more than anything else, but limited build diversity. Killing things fast isn't a problem.

As for forcing crit+critdmg on "any and all pieces", for example rings can still get 9% ias which generally speaking gives more dps than 34% crit dmg. In my opinion the only minor problem with critdmg is that socket+critdmg on a _weapon_ specifically is a bit too strong.

You can get crit chance to 60%+, Crit Damage to 400%+ and crit everything in seconds. How are they going to keep it as is for PvP is beyond me. (I think they'll cap it around that time tbh).

They should just buff IAS again now that Crit is the new thing. I would imagine a more diverse set of build that way.

However ... I think you're correct in that they'll eventually cap it and nerf both.

I know Barbs can clear Inferno with a relatively cheap gearset, but how about some of the other classes? I'm really interested in Monk or Witch Doctor, but I have no idea the cost of admission if you will for a decent inferno set for those two.

You still don't understand what he is saying. He is saying that IAS, for instance, made resource using skills much worse because IAS means you will just burn through resources faster and then your main damage dealer will be your signature attacks. For instance high IAS makes skills like disintegrate worthless. IAS didn't just increase your dps by more than anything else, but limited build diversity. Killing things fast isn't a problem.

As for forcing crit+critdmg on "any and all pieces", for example rings can still get 9% ias which generally speaking gives more dps than 34% crit dmg. In my opinion the only minor problem with critdmg is that socket+critdmg on a _weapon_ specifically is a bit too strong.

I havne't started playing with the numbers yet, but wouldn't stacking crit chance bring up your effectiveness for crti damage?

9% IAS gives more damage than 34% crit, but is that true regardless of your level of crit chance?

scy

How would someone do that? Just check if the average sale price fluctuates at all based on time, or if stays the same?

Radiant Star's are something I could see a rich person buying. It's like... "I just bought this chest piece for $250. How can I make this even more of a trophy? Oh, I know!"

Honestly, I have no idea. Just saying that the real step 1 in the money making profit scheme is to make sure that the market is actually moving before you jump in.

Yeah, I think people are overlooking the fact that IAS% was used in certain builds and Crit Damage/Crit Chance functions in every build. IAS% was a limiting factor and Crit was not. Wizards completely ignored spending Arcane with IAS% builds because they didn't scale with IAS% at all. WDs were meant to be the IAS% scaling class, hence the budgeted Resource Regen to try and make a balance (and why Crit didn't function on many of their spells, though I guess that may actually have been a bug).

That said, I still wish they'd just cap things and open up the affix slots a bit so there's less of this "Gloves must have IAS%, Crit Chance, Crit Damage before they're even good" mentality.

Madn

I know Barbs can clear Inferno with a relatively cheap gearset, but how about some of the other classes? I'm really interested in Monk or Witch Doctor, but I have no idea the cost of admission if you will for a decent inferno set for those two.

I'm currently doing act 2 without problems and i've spent very little (no more than 80k for an item). I don't know for higher acts

eek5

LordCanti

Couldn't they have buffed those skills to compensate (more damage, even though they deplete resources faster) instead of cutting IAS in half?

I guess I just don't agree. More skills benefiting from crit is great, until you realize that some skills are just better than others. People will use the skills that are OP and ditch the ones that aren't, no matter why the skill that isn't OP isn't OP.

syllogism

I havne't started playing with the numbers yet, but wouldn't stacking crit chance bring up your effectiveness for crti damage?

9% IAS gives more damage than 34% crit, but is that true regardless of your level of crit chance?
Sure it brings it up, but the only way 34% crit dmg is worth more (dps wise, ignoring build related reasons) than 9% IAS is if you have very high crit chance while your crit dmg is low. The optimal way to improve dps is by increasing ALL relevant stats, not just by stacking a few of them.

Blitzzz

So, are there any lower-level legendaries in this game, after all the patching? I got a couple of (useless) ones within a week of starting the game, but nothing in, say, the last 6-7 weeks. Do you need to have some ridiculous level of MF in order to even think about getting one? Or am I just not lucky enough with the item rolls.

Oh, and by "lower level", I actually mean less than 60. I have a Monk 51 (Act 1, Hell) and a Barb 44 (about to complete Act 2 NM if I would stop being STUPID when fighting Belial), so I was wondering if I might stumble upon an orange item anytime soon.

I found a lvl 55 legendary sword last night. First one for me since level 30 (~120hrs ago)

Stupid thing was it dropped off of warden in act 1 inferno. Had ~130% MF including 5NV

scy

Couldn't they have buffed those skills to compensate (more damage, even though they deplete resources faster) instead of cutting IAS in half?

I guess I just don't agree.

It'd be a fundamental change in design for the skills. I guess they could have at least scaled ith IAS% so they did their damage faster but burned the cost faster. The problem with those spells is that they do damage in set intervals independent of your weapon.

More skills benefiting from crit is great, until you realize that some skills are just better than others. People will use the skills that are OP and ditch the ones that aren't, no matter why the skill that isn't OP isn't OP.

Some skills are better than others but IAS% basically trumped an entire mechanic (Arcane). It's really odd that the IAS% change seemed to have been worded for DHs when Wizard's benefited the most from IAS%, honestly.

Vossler

So I've been farming Act 1 for quite a while now, and have seen the question asked before, but what would be the bare minimum of resists for a DH to venture into act 2? In my most buffed gear, I sit at around 250 resist all/23k HP/around 88k dps with ss/40k without. I think this is decent, your guys' thoughts?

Sophia

For shits and giggles I put up all my Act 1/2 Inferno Barbarian gear for $50 each. I don't think any of it will sell for that much, but if it does.... :p

Is this worth anything? Doesn't seem to be a lot of amulets around that have a damage value.

screenshot055qy.jpg

garath

So I've been farming Act 1 for quite a while now, and have seen the question asked before, but what would be the bare minimum of resists for a DH to venture into act 2? In my most buffed gear, I sit at around 250 resist all/23k HP/around 88k dps with ss/40k without. I think this is decent, your guys' thoughts?

I do ok in Act 2. Working on Act 3 right now.

250-300 or so for all resists
30k hp
26k dps

I don't remember my armor off the top of my head, but I don't think it's that high.

I'm not sure why they keep talking about build diversity. They said before that IAS would not have been nerfed in the first place if it had just been for the damage increase. The real reason it was nerfed is because of the effect it had on resource generation such as Life on Hit.

I think Wyatt said this during the AMA but I don't have a link handy.

Sophia

Is this worth anything? Doesn't seem to be a lot of amulets around that have a damage value.

screenshot055qy.jpg

You could get 100-500k out of it easily. It's kinda lacking in secondary damage stats (no crit, no attack speed, no life on hit) but that damage is pretty nice and it's got great base stats.

Radec

Goddamn, I'm always getting killed by Diablo's trap. :/

Managed to get to 3rd phase but luck ran out and got caught.

My 7th try.

zulux21

well that was unexpected
37aa7c4bdf8e4c9cbeecb6e.png

they are only selling for about 270k gold... so was not expecting to sell that...
*debates about buying another one and trying again lol*

Sophia

heh followers 3rd skill...
still makes me wonder that in a game where everything else is easily swapped out, why can't we change the skills on our followers... it's silly :/

You... can change the skills on the followers. Right click their portrait and select Retrain. :p

Ashhong

well that was unexpected
37aa7c4bdf8e4c9cbeecb6e.png

they are only selling for about 270k gold... so was not expecting to sell that...
*debates about buying another one and trying again lol*

Is that a 4 prop helm? I can't remember the names of the ones that I had, but I just sold all of my plans to the vendor thinking they werent worth anything...

zulux21

Is that a 4 prop helm? I can't remember the names of the ones that I had, but I just sold all of my plans to the vendor thinking they werent worth anything...

Exalted fine is a 5 prop
exalted grand would be 6
and just exalted is 4.

i had like 9 recipes in my invintory worthy 40-260k each that I threw up on the RMAH because I can cancel when ever and didn't have anything to sell there right now anyways. I really didn't expect any of them to sell which is why they were all set to my battle.net account instead of paypal lol.

oh well one step closer to a back up authenticator ^^

There's not even a penalty for it, which is very weird even by Blizzard's standards.

heh yay I can finally fix my enchantress. I couldn't resist the chicken skill the first time around, but that attack speed is much better :p
I never found it because I figured the retrain would be in the inventory not their picture... heck I only figured out I could dismiss them like a week ago lol

garath

I need a better dps calculator. I tried using that spreadsheet someone linked earlier and that didn't pan out too well.

If I'm going to spend a ton of gold on a weapon I need an accurate picture of what I'm getting for the gold.

Anyone have a good dps calculator handy?

zulux21

If anyone here wants to farm some act 2 gobs with me just let me know, I am not having great luck finding them right now so a second person looking would likely speed things up considerably.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Its kind of weird seeing people so openly discussing using real money to buy items/gold outside the system Blizzard put in place.

People buying accounts, items or money for games previously has typically been viewed as a "cop-out", but with Diablo 3 basically making it the status quo by putting the mechanism in game, its discussed openly without any hesitation or perceived embarrassment.

I'm not saying people using real money to buy items or in game money should be frowned upon or anything like that...it's just interesting to me how quickly the perception of acceptability changes the moment there's a legit means of doing things.

I'm still waiting on weed and prostitution.

TommyT

Well after a full solo inferno clear it's time to start putting my gear on the RMAH. It was fun DH!

I did get a barb to 60 and have some pretty good gear for him should I ever scratch the itch to farm again without too much hassle.

Rufus

Blizzard employees characters:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/10/which-diablo-3-builds-does-blizzard-use/

No wonder they couldn't beat Inferno when they tested it internally ;)
I somehow expected more from the software engineers at least. The Barb reads like he's role-playing too much.

Liked this bit especially:
"Fetish Army is runed for shorter cooldown, because the original 120 sec cooldown is unnecessarily long (especially compared to my other skills’ cooldowns)"
Mind telling someone in charge, Henry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom