• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xamdou

The rule of thumb is to slowly circle around the room so that by the time you come full circle the first couple of poison clouds have dissipated. Which class/build are you? That's how I did it with my melee wizard (even though I can't do much in act 3 without being slaughtered in half a second).

Got my first set item, yaaaay! And it's Natalya's Redemption too, yaaaaay! With shit stats, nooooooooo :(.

Does salvaging lvl 60+ items guarantee a fiery brimstone?

I am a monk with around 600 all resistance, 35k hp, 5,500 armor, 16,000 total dps unbuffed, 1k life per hit and 1k life per second. That's all I can remember right now since there's a maintenance.

Salvaging Lvl 61+ legendaries will guarantee a fiery brimstone I think.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I am a monk with around 600 all resistance, 35k hp, 5,500 armor, 16,000 total dps unbuffed, 1k life per hit and 1k life per second. That's all I can remember right now since there's a maintenance.

Same DPS as my wiz (though yours is unbuffed), better res, bit more HP, more armor, good LOH/regen, most likely better dodge. You should be fine. I heard some of his attacks are really powerful but they're not much of a problem with diamond skin on a wiz. You may need serenity for them, but I don't have a monk so don't my word for granted. Other than that it's just a matter of not getting the room filled with poison by slowly circling.

@Baraka: I've dropped a total of 2 legendaries (one regular, one set) in 140 hours of play on the same character. And most of that was after the droprate buff from 1.0.3 It really is just a matter of luck.

zulux21

Same DPS as my wiz (though yours is unbuffed), better res, bit more HP, more armor, good LOH/regen, most likely better dodge. You should be fine. I heard some of his attacks are really powerful but they're not much of a problem with diamond skin on a wiz. You may need serenity for them, but I don't have a monk so don't my word for granted. Other than that it's just a matter of not getting the room filled with poison by slowly circling.

@Baraka: I've dropped a total of 2 legendaries (one regular, one set) in 140 hours of play on the same character. And most of that was after the droprate buff from 1.0.3 It really is just a matter of luck.

yeah I am driving my friend mad with my recent luck... i have gotten 5 legendaries in my last 15 hours or so of farming lol

granted only 2 of them were remotely good.

zulux21

If they "schedule" it five minutes before it happens, it's still "scheduled" in their eyes apparently.

(Not saying that they did that this time, but I hadn't heard about it)

a notice was up when I logged in around 6am my time (5.5 hours ago)

but I didn't see it last night when I logged out at 9pm or so.

untitledibj8a.png

Nice one Blizzard. Make up a new calendar system whilst you're there.

scosher

This game would be awesome with some Dark Souls-esque PvP invasions. I want to have other players randomly invade my game and drop loot like an elite pack.

That plus a hardcore-only ladder system (having 1 ladder character per account) that would reset when a player clears Inferno. PvP invasions would be enabled in the ladder too so you could try and thwart someone's progress. Have Inferno Diablo drop some ladder-only legendary item as further incentive to be the first.

Just tossing ideas off the top of my head, but this game really needs more of an end-game. I feel a large part of D2's longevity was that I would often reroll classes just to try out a different build. That incentive is gone in D3, which also makes the 1-60 grind insanely boring and repetitive. Trying out different builds kept the leveling experience fresh in D2, I feel.

yeah I am driving my friend mad with my recent luck... i have gotten 5 legendaries in my last 15 hours or so of farming lol

granted only 2 of them were remotely good.
I know how your friend feels. Last night I invited my friend into my game and carried him through my Act 2 farming run. For the most part he hung out behind me while I tanked and took out the champs. Had his first set item drop, a 3 socket Nat Shadow. Jealous.

balddemon

Banned
done with the game for now, i got dungeon defenders, pokemon conquest, Dune, and Off Armageddon Reef (and that whole series) to read/play. well worth my money tho

V_Arnold

Are you kidding me? I'm your biggest fan V :3

In other news, I am now selling my shield that makes me unable to farm act3 anymore, but apparently it is worth 100+ euro... (140 int, 140 vit, 8.5% crit chance, 20% block and 3700-4600 block amount., and some fire res). Dilemmas, dilemmas...

LordCanti

NA server is back.

Quick question to Tornado barbs: DPS is dependent on weapon damage and crit damage/chance alone, right?

Upping my STR to up the DPS won't really help?

I'm seeing videos where the crit numbers are in the 5-10k range, and mine are in the...3-4k range. Do I just need higher DPS weapons? (crit is like 200% ATM).

Radec

This game would be awesome with some Dark Souls-esque PvP invasions. I want to have other players randomly invade my game and drop loot like an elite pack.

That plus a hardcore-only ladder system (having 1 ladder character per account) that would reset when a player clears Inferno. PvP invasions would be enabled in the ladder too so you could try and thwart someone's progress. Have Inferno Diablo drop some ladder-only legendary item as further incentive to be the first.

Just tossing ideas off the top of my head, but this game really needs more of an end-game. I feel a large part of D2's longevity was that I would often reroll classes just to try out a different build. That incentive is gone in D3, which also makes the 1-60 grind insanely boring and repetitive. Trying out different builds kept the leveling experience fresh in D2, I feel.

Inferno Hardcore Ladder

I wonder how many can even clear it.

zulux21

NA server is back.

Quick question to Tornado barbs: DPS is dependent on weapon damage and crit damage/chance alone, right?

I'm seeing videos where the crit numbers are in the 5-10k range, and mine are in the...3-4k range.

hmmm it's back 3 hours before it was supposed to be :p
welp there goes my nap lol

What's with this sudden 5 hour maintenance? I hope they finally put out some decent patch!

It's ridiculous. It's like twice a fucking week now. I was one of the online-only apologists before the game launched but am now seeing the light. I don't even play anymore, just wanted to check my auctions and/or try to snipe something then resell.

zulux21

hmmm I just noticed I am down the 1.5mil I went to bid on a buyout before the server went down... I wonder if I actually got the item or not... I guess I will find out when the AH comes back up. worst case I am down 1.5mil... I have done stupidier things with my gold lol

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Was looking to sell of a pair of pants I found with 20mf and some vit on them when I found these:

7Kapj.png

I'm pretty certain the seller only price matched using 2 slots, int and vit, because if I put some int gems in there it is on par with - if not better than - a pair of pants that are currently up for 17 mil. Jackpot!

Rufus

Of course it will, it's your main stat as a Barb. More STR, more natural damage. More natural damage, higher crits.

Punch your stats into this calculator, then delete all STR, see how it affects your DPS (or take off your weapon only, then take off everything):
http://theasiangamer.com/

You should use it to gauge upgrades, as well.

LordCanti

Of course it will, it's your main stat as a Barb. More STR, more natural damage. More natural damage, higher crits.

Punch your stats into this calculator, then delete all STR, see how it affects your DPS (or take off your weapon only, then take off everything):
http://theasiangamer.com/

You should use it to gauge upgrades, as well.

I'm talking about the Tornado barb build specifically. I had heard that it took a percentage of your main hand damage (multiplied by crit damage) when calculating the damage.

Are you sure STR helps that build?

Edit: Solved the mystery of the lower DPS.... I wasn't popping infinite WOTB lol. I think the rest is just lower main hand damage.

garath

Was looking to sell of a pair of pants I found with 20mf and some vit on them when I found these:

7Kapj.png

I'm pretty certain the seller only price matched using 2 slots, int and vit, because if I put some int gems in there it is on par with - if not better than - a pair of pants that are currently up for 17 mil. Jackpot!

That's a steal. Nj!

kennah

7Kapj.png

GOOD SCORE! I guess they didn't realize it was a perfect Magic Find roll.

syllogism

7Kapj.png

Actually he probably only price matched 20% mf, 150k sounds about "right" for that, but obviously that's wrong

Rufus

Edit: Solved the mystery of the lower DPS.... I wasn't popping infinite WOTB lol. I think the rest is just lower main hand damage.
Take off any STR gear you have, then compare the damage. STR is your basic damage modifier. I'd be surprised if the tornadoes (or any skill for that matter) only went off of the main-hand damage.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Actually he probably only price matched 20% mf, 150k sounds about "right" for that, but obviously that's wrong

Ah yeah that's true.

Even though I could make quite a lot of money by selling them off I figure I'm better off holding on to them for the time being. If Blizzard do eventually patch the way MF works in regards to switching right before a kill they should become even more valuable. They're also only a 3k DPS drop and increases my health by 7k, and since I currently run act 1 with 60k damage I think it's worthwhile to drop down 3k in dps in favor of 20%mf.

LordCanti

Take off any STR gear you have, then compare the damage. STR is your basic damage modifier. I'd be surprised if the tornadoes (or any skill for that matter) only went off of the main-hand damage.

The guy in the youtube video doesn't buy a single piece of gear with STR though. If it really helped, I don't know why he wouldn't have stacked it. That's what I'm trying to figure out; Was it a budgetary decision, or does it simply not help. I don't have any STR kit to swap in to check.

i have 1400 STR and my DPS with 23.5% crit chance and like 130% crit dmg is i think 12k (thats sword/board)

I know it usually helps... ;_;

We're talking about one very specific build.

balddemon

Banned
The guy in the youtube video doesn't buy a single piece of gear with STR though. If it really helped, I don't know why he wouldn't have stacked it. That's what I'm trying to figure out; Was it a budgetary decision, or does it simply not help. I don't have any STR kit to swap in to check.

i have 1400 STR and my DPS with 23.5% crit chance and like 130% crit dmg is i think 12k (thats sword/board)

Rufus

If it's one of those sub 500k things then yeah, I would think it's about budget. I'll have to try it out myself then, I'll report back in a bit.

LordCanti

If it's one of those sub 500k things then yeah, I would think it's about budget. I'll have to try it out myself then, I'll report back in a bit.

I can't get on the AH, so I can't buy any STR gear to check it out. He could have gotten STR on the chest piece for almost nothing and didn't though. I mean, yeah, it wouldn't have had all res as well, but if it upped the DPS, that would mean more survivability I'd think.

Edit: Bah, I've been running with the wrong type of main hand weapon. I've got 35% crit chance, but it should be 45% with a mighty axe or mace. Derpa Derp. Even with that oversight, stuff in A1 still melts.

STR matters. I'm not sure what video you're talking about but it was probably a budget decision. For the build in question, it's mostly about generating crits and +Crit Damage returns are better than stacked STR after a certain point.

Hmm...I wonder if someone has figured out the threshold. I'm at 200% Crit Damage, 35% chance (will be 45% whenever the stupid AH gets brought back up...wonder if it was down due to the exploit), and 1K+ LOH. Almost no STR though, since I followed the video. I'd imagine that I'll need to sacrifice all res to get STR, but since I'm low on STR right now, that tradeoff won't ding my uhh... EHP? Will it? The STR will offset the loss of all res, in other words?

scy

STR matters. I'm not sure what video you're talking about but it was probably a budget decision. For the build in question, it's mostly about generating crits and +Crit Damage returns are better than stacked STR after a certain point.

Edit: I'd like to note, though, that it may also just be a wrong call on the forgoing of STR. It's still used in the formula for it. Off-hand, nothing in the game doesn't utilize the Weapon + Attributes damage value except maybe some buffs.

Sigmaah

Stack + experience gear in every slot. Search for a lowered level requirement weapon on the AH, you can search on that and input a value, when I bought my 590dmg lvl 46 axe -14 level requirement was pretty good value.

Rush through the acts, only kill the stuff on your way to objectives, if you've got enough +exp gear you'll still level fast enough.

Leveled my barb to 51 in 18 hours, could probably have gone faster if I hadn't fooled around at the lower levels in normal

Thank you!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm talking about the Tornado barb build specifically. I had heard that it took a percentage of your main hand damage (multiplied by crit damage) when calculating the damage.

Are you sure STR helps that build?

Strength is your friend.

As long as you aren't sacrificing your vit so much that you die.

Rufus

I'd gain almost 5k dps from those glove, even though I would be giving up 18 crit dmg and 95 STR. So yeah, worth a bunch.

How much res all should I sacrifice for STR?

I'm at 656 resistance right now unbuffed. 5600 Armor.
Kripp was doing Act 3 with about 530 unbuffed, but around 6400 armour a few days ago (partly owing to high STR, not sure how high. He has some insane 270+ STR shoulders). Not sure how his gear has changed since, though I don't think it matters much, since he did just fine then, too. At least from what I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom