• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Sucks that you apparently can't buy Diablo 3 with your blizz bucks. I'd like to have used that money to get another account for my wife. She wouldn't mind playing, but she's understandably apprehensive over another 60 bucks.

So they expected people to play the current incarnation of inferno, for months?

>.>

I don't know, maybe my expectations are off.

They did.

See, the thing is that they wanted inferno itself and getting through it to be basically hitting level 99 in Diablo 2. I dunno about you, but for me hitting 99 took a long time. In all my years of playing I never actually did it. It was a sort of lofty goal there after everything though. But in a big way that's kind of boring. So, what I believe they thought was let's make some content, another difficulty, and that will be what you do instead of baal runs from level 60-99. They thought they just had to make it tough enough that it would take that long. And, to be honest that would be way more compelling. But, again, the problem was that a few exploited skills and their awful balancing between classes really kind of fucked things up.

Really, the progression through inferno should have looked more like what's going on in hardcore mode right now. Actually probably a bit slower than that, since I think most of them farmed goblins a metric ton, and they didn't really want that to happen either.

After beating Hell difficulty, I agree that the game wasn't balanced around the Auction House (any changes to drop rates to account for Auction House are likely after thoughts and not real efforts at balancing), it's more that Inferno just isn't balanced period, and the devs even flat out said that they sent Inferno out the door without being able to beat it themselves.

Cagey

Banned
They did.

See, the thing is that they wanted inferno itself and getting through it to be basically hitting level 99 in Diablo 2. I dunno about you, but for me hitting 99 took a long time. In all my years of playing I never actually did it. It was a sort of lofty goal there after everything though. But in a big way that's kind of boring. So, what I believe they thought was let's make some content, another difficulty, and that will be what you do instead of baal runs from level 60-99. They thought they just had to make it tough enough that it would take that long. And, to be honest that would be way more compelling. But, again, the problem was that a few exploited skills and their awful balancing between classes really kind of fucked things up.

Really, the progression through inferno should have looked more like what's going on in hardcore mode right now. Actually probably a bit slower than that, since I think most of them farmed goblins a metric ton, and they didn't really want that to happen either.

This, especially the old D2C level method, where level 99 was damn near impossible for most every player. I miss logging onto battle.net and seeing where the server was that day. When I hit level 60, I was bummed out. There's no reason to not have the game continue leveling your character even if it means nothing beyond the level itself. It's just another means of rewarding gameplay.

Rufus

I'm giving up on Inferno until 1.03 hits. I can't do the farming any more, not even with podcasts in the background, or what have you. I just can't do it (any more). Every grey hair in my beard tells me not to. The lower difficulties are actually quite fun to play, what with the regular gear upgrades and everything. It also depends on what class you play (Monk is my favorite so far, have yet to try DH or WIZ).

I've spent around 7M gearing my barb the last couple days, went from 500ish all res to 1000, more str, more vit, better weapon, better gear all around. It feels so good to finally smash everything in act 2 inferno. Act 3 is not that easy though.

I wasnt able to start handling a3 until i got massive block%, even at the expense of vit and all res. also need lots of attack speed and LoH

Whats the DRM situation like? I just bought a physical copy of the game and while my laptop can run it I have a true gaming pc arriving at the end of the week. I would obviously like to play the game as soon as possible. I know I need a battlenet account so is it tied to that?

They, in all seriousness, didn't expect Inferno to be cleared for another 6 or so weeks (that is, May -> August for the first clear).

In it's current implementation, it realistically takes about a month.

They're probably correct for over 90% of players though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like you're right. I changed my password. Now I think I'm going to start over. However, this is bullshit. Now I have to buy an authenticator to protect my account? Wtf is that? That's low. Even if I wanted to, the US ones are sold out. What a bunch of bullshit. I'm so pissed.

You call bullshit and what not, but what do you propose Blizzard do? They can't make you choose a unique and secure password that you use nowhere else. Are they responsible for their games being so popular that thousands and thousands of scammers are out there constantly trying to compromise Battle.net accounts?

They offer a solution that will lock down your account. I believe there is some way to run the authenticator program on Windows (through an Android emulator or something?), so you don't necessarily need to buy an authenticator or have a smartphone. Worst case scenario, they also offer a way to call somewhere and have your authenticator code read to you over the phone.

There is a problem which they have no way of controlling. It's not their databases being compromised that is causing people to be "hacked". It's people using the same username/password for multiple sites, or just using generally weak passwords. Blizzard can do nothing about any of that, but they offer a solution for those who want to take security seriously.

I really want to farm gear, but my DH simply can't. I can't afford great gear either, so I'm in a rut. Not enjoying. :|

Spend 500k on a 1k crossbow with a socket

That'll take you into Act 3

The rest of your pieces you can grab for about 20k each. Check the vendor in Act 2 for jewelry

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Whats the DRM situation like? I just bought a physical copy of the game and while my laptop can run it I have a true gaming pc arriving at the end of the week. I would obviously like to play the game as soon as possible. I know I need a battlenet account so is it tied to that?

You can play it on any computer you want. It's the battle.net account that matters, not the actual software install, and that's not tied to any individual machine.

Danj

You can install it on as many PCs or Macs as you like but you can only log in to your battle.net account on one machine at a time.

zou

Reposting from community thread. Any interest?

Location EU
7zTWG.png

V_Arnold

See? This is exactly why I am so sad when Battle.Net is looked as some kind of draconian DRM method...

You register your Diablo III copy on your battle net, and from that moment, whenever you have a Diablo III client in front of you at any computer, you just type in your user name/pass, and you play on it.* Install it as many times as you want - but obviously, you cant log in from two pc's at the same time as it will disconnect you both.

*Do not do this in public places unless you have an authenticator. The PC's might have keyloggers on them :p

Jhriad

Eh, I don't think the usable loot issue is that different than D2 in general.

You should really go back and play D2 and then play D3 without using the AH at all. D3 drop rates are abysmal in comparison. The drop rates and itemization were adjusted with both AHs in mind. Of course they're going to be terrible. Doesn't change the fact that it's a much less engaging system to play in.

Except that they didn't. The lead designer guy said they couldn't design the game around the AH because they didn't have it when they were making the game. The drops are designed without the AH in mind.

They've already commented that drop rates were adjusted lower because of the AH. It almost certainly wasn't balanced well, if at all, but they were adjusted with the AH in mind.

Tacitus_

I really want to farm gear, but my DH simply can't. I can't afford great gear either, so I'm in a rut. Not enjoying. :|

DH is really cheap to gear up. I bought 1,5 mills worth of stuff and I had a couple of pieces dropped so maybe ~2mills total. I'm now farming Inferno ponies without too much trouble. Bad affixes will fuck me up though since I only have 14k hp and the elites will hit for 50k :D

Sarcasm

So I have the pages I am saving them. Do I need to start like salvaging my rares and keeping the mats or can I just continue vendoring them? lvl 37, nightmare currently.

Rufus

without being able to beat it themselves.
They couldn't beat it and then doubled the difficulty. It seems they got through balancing Act 1 at least, because that didn't feel like a brick wall. I could stand up to regular enemies right away.
That being said, what actually impedes my enjoyment most of all (on Inferno, but also in Hell, depending on the enemy) are some of the affix combinations and design decisions that in part relate to that. Pointlessly punishing kiting, when three of the five classes will inevitably fall back on it, with the other two also doing it quite often just to survive. It reeks of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

RPGCrazied

So if you sell something on the RMAH, the battle.net balance, you can use it on their store right? I really don't want the paypal money, but getting stuff from the blizzard store from selling items seems pretty cool.

I'm trying 2 level 40 legendaries. They probably won't sell, but looks like it doesn't require anything upfront to list. Why not?

scy

They're probably correct for over 90% of players though.

Eh, I say it'll still take about a month of played time for them. I probably should have specified. Blizzard's August call was for the front runners. The first clear would take months. It took about a week in reality, though a lot of it was circumventing parts of the game (leapfrogging, cheesing chests/goblins for loot, etc.).

They offer a solution that will lock down your account. I believe there is some way to run the authenticator program on Windows (through an Android emulator or something?), so you don't necessarily need to buy an authenticator or have a smartphone. Worst case scenario, they also offer a way to call somewhere and have your authenticator code read to you over the phone.

The phone one doesn't work for Diablo 3. For some reason. The Windows one (WinAuth) is just a program you run, you don't even need to do the whole emulators for it.

Hey guys.

How long would it take me to level up 38 > 60?

And can someone help me do that? I'd really appreciate it :)

My in-game name is MrPonx (US Server)

TommyT

DH is really cheap to gear up. I bought 1,5 mills worth of stuff and I had a couple of pieces dropped so maybe ~2mills total. I'm now farming Inferno ponies without too much trouble. Bad affixes will fuck me up though since I only have 14k hp and the elites will hit for 50k :D

Yeah, a 1-shot DH is really cheap to gear up.

Check the AH for level 45-60 gear with the following: Dex, Vit, All Resist. Leave the values blank and sort by buyout. Hopefully you can get something with all 3 with whatever money you've got. If you literally have no gold then you either need to farm or get really good at kiting and killing.

Revoh

I wasnt able to start handling a3 until i got massive block%, even at the expense of vit and all res. also need lots of attack speed and LoH

I've got the LoH part covered but yeah I need to get a ring or a glove that gives me attack speed.
I still couldn't get my hands on a Stormshield, I want one with 32% block so bad haha

scy

You should really go back and play D2 and then play D3 without using the AH at all. D3 drop rates are abysmal in comparison. The drop rates and itemization were adjusted with both AHs in mind. Of course they're going to be terrible. Doesn't change the fact that it's a much less engaging system to play in.

Good loot in Diablo 2 is just as rare. It's just less of a big deal because it doesn't matter most the time due to how easy the game is (be it the fact you can TP abuse, chug potions, or just the fact that Diablo 2 is never actually difficult). Diablo 3 has a greater emphasis on equipment which makes it a bigger deal that actual good equipment is rare.

Edit: The fact that Legendaries and many Set items aren't good is another matter. It's like they forgot everything after vanilla Diablo 2, really.

butts

Making slow progression through Act1 Inferno. I have no illusions that I will even be able to touch Act2 right now, since I am not using the auction house at all. Going in with that expectation makes me enjoy the game a lot more than a lot of other people I think :) Even got some good drops last night in Inferno that other people would have probably vendored, but I'm ok with that because I am taking it slow.

Yeah, a 1-shot DH is really cheap to gear up.

I kept hearing for the longest time that DH had it so easy and was like playing inferno on ez mode.

Now that ive grouped with a few DHs, honestly fuck everything about that. How do people find this glass cannon shit fun? I keep hearing "don't get hit" but i havent seen anyone die less than like 30 times /run.

Ill happily stick with my barb, lol

Neki

What's your magic find %?

90% of my legendaries dropped when I didn't have my MF gear on, so it's really irrelevant. I once got 3 legendaries drop in the first ten minutes of a skelly king run. :p

Setting another give away in a couple of minutes, hope you guys are ready!

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I kept hearing for the longest time that DH had it so easy and was like playing inferno on ez mode.

Now that ive grouped with a few DHs, honestly fuck everything about that. How do people find this glass cannon shit fun? I keep hearing "don't get hit" but i havent seen anyone die less than like 30 times /run.

Yeah I moved from DH to Monk because in all seriousness being 1-2 shot is not my idea of fun, and I could not be bothered to sink time into farming for gear just to survive a tiny bit longer.

Having ALOT more fun as a Monk now, although my build is built around really high attack speed which looks like is getting nerfed soon :(

scy

People see advice/builds an go do it without understanding the ideas behind it, really. Glass Cannon DH builds kind of require you to be able to manually avoid nearly everything. Which, really, shouldn't be too hard for most of Act 1 and 2 (barring Lacuni and awful affixes).

It's similar with people gearing IAS% but not doing primary spam kiting Wizard builds or pretty much every single "Get more Resistances" suggestion :x

datamage

Good loot in Diablo 2 is just as rare. It's just less of a big deal because it doesn't matter most the time due to how easy the game is (be it the fact you can TP abuse, chug potions, or just the fact that Diablo 2 is never actually difficult). Diablo 3 has a greater emphasis on equipment which makes it a bigger deal that actual good equipment is rare.

Edit: The fact that Legendaries and many Set items aren't good is another matter. It's like they forgot everything after vanilla Diablo 2, really.

To be fair, I decided to play D2 a bit a weekend ago, and by level 8, I had already found 4 uniques, two of which that were pretty damn good for the level. Not to mention the more interesting and varied affixes. I have hope that Blizzard will remedy this in D3, but to what extent?

Revoh

Inferno Siegebreaker / Azmodan runs has to be the most fun I've ever had so far with this game, playing with friends with voice chat raises the fun factor by 100% and not to mention the loot that drops in act 3 is really really good.
I can't see myself doing butcher runs or anything else now, well, at least until 1.03

scy

To be fair, I decided to play D2 a bit a weekend ago, and by level 8, I had already found 4 uniques, two of which that were pretty damn good for the level. Not to mention the more interesting and varied affixes. I have hope that Blizzard will remedy this in D3, but to what extent?

My D2 experience is that I'd be lucky if I got a Rare by Andariel :/

TommyT

Glass cannon works with ponies.

No one said it wasn't. If you like the frustration* of getting 1-shot and playing like that then more power to you. You can certainly progress through inferno like that. However, Ponies isn't the easiest level to kill things if you're not familiar with kiting well.

Pretty much. The problem with playing a glass cannon in a group is that you can't control what the other person is doing (see - aggro'ing mobs, kiting well, single-out targets, etc.). Sure you can go without getting hit, but it's slow paced. You're not just wrecking through everything. Also, there are times when you're going to be 1-shot (see: Act 4 those things that come from off screen in an instant and you can't avoid the damage). But hey, some people don't mind that so good for them.

eek5

579OO.png

Finally got a respectable damage cold weapon and it is a ton of fun. Great for melee groups. I basically just snare everything, kite back a bit into a second tornado then fight 1v1. It's awesome to be able to spot melee units breaking off and heading towards the ranged dps people in a group and furious charge through them to snare as well. I used to switch back and forth from my 500dps to 890dps before but I ended up just using this one most of the time in group play. I'll probably keep looking to hopefully snipe a godly/perfect roll but this will do for now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom