• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Looking to cash out my last few blizz bucks I searched for Stormshields... LOL. 32% ones going for as low as $40, wow. Guess it was a good call to get rid of mine (I had 2 actually) some weeks ago.

Does anyone have a good farming route for Act 2? The one I tried yesterday was shit compared to the one I've been using for Act 1 (I don't really like wandering over huge areas outdoors to try and find elites / dungeons).

scy

I don't think many viable builds and few optimal builds are mutually exclusive. In fact, I think we have both right now.

Better gear makes the non-optimal builds (and even downright bad ones) more and more viable with every upgrade.

The problem with this is that the community at large (not all, but most) will flock to optimal rather than viable. I'm not sure if there's anything to stop that short of the difference between "viable" and "optimal" to be miniscule.

I can live comfortably at 820 resists in Act 3 as a barb. But I also run a build that leaves me practically invulnerable 90% of the time. No WW here.

I'm at about that as well. It's decent and a little light for act IV. I would like to get all my LOH and CRIT damage on one weapon so I can sword and board for more defence and resists.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't think many viable builds and few optimal builds are mutually exclusive. In fact, I think we have both right now.
I wasn't trying to say that they are in general. Ideally you want the case where there are many many different options to choose from, without having any one particular build be so overwhelmingly good that players feel compelled to use it. (or have way to many builds or skill choices that are so bad that no one in their right mind would ever use it)

Right now in Diablo 3, there are some viable builds, yes, but not that many (as many as I would like). After nerfing Inferno, more builds became "viable", but of course that's what's going to happen when you nerf difficulty.

As the game stands now, there are a couple to a few optimal archetypes for each class, with a couple skills interchangeable. A lot of runes are useless compared to others and no one ever uses them. The worst case would be Witch Doctor where there aren't that many ways to play without getting racked in frustration.

Better gear makes the non-optimal builds (and even downright bad ones) more and more viable with every upgrade.
Sure, that's always going to be the case. The right combination of specific gear stats and skill choices make the build I'm using at the moment very strong. However, I'm still not seeing the diversity that was promised. We have crit%, attack speed (not so much anymore), life on hit, and CC proc on hit (in very few cases) that can add to build diversity, but that's about it.

There are so many terrible skills that are not worth using at all, and the frustrating thing for some players that I've personally observed, is how they don't realize how terrible they are until Inferno, when they get dumped into the deep end.

maharg

idspispopd
I wasn't trying to say that they are in general. Ideally you want the case where there are many many different options to choose from, without having any one particular build be so overwhelmingly good that players feel compelled to use it. (or have way to many builds or skill choices that are so bad that no one in their right mind would ever use it)

Right now in Diablo 3, there are some viable builds, yes, but not that many (as many as I would like). After nerfing Inferno, more builds became "viable", but of course that's what's going to happen when you nerf difficulty.

As the game stands now, there are a couple to a few optimal archetypes for each class, with a couple skills interchangeable. A lot of runes are useless compared to others and no one ever uses them. The worst case would be Witch Doctor where there aren't that many ways to play without getting racked in frustration.

Sure, that's always going to be the case. The right combination of specific gear stats and skill choices make the build I'm using at the moment very strong. However, I'm still not seeing the diversity that was promised. We have crit%, attack speed (not so much anymore), life on hit, and CC proc on hit (in very few cases) that can add to build diversity, but that's about it.

There are so many terrible skills that are not worth using at all, and the frustrating thing for some players that I've personally observed, is how they don't realize how terrible they are until Inferno, when they get dumped into the deep end.

I called that the changes they made wouldn't lead to a substantial increase in build diversity. I actually think some wonky synergies in D2:LoD that would have been weeded out of D3 if they'd existed created more diversity.

Honestly, I think the only things improved in D3 over D2:LoD are the basic play mechanics (it's more fun in the moment/short term) and the graphics (obviously). Everything about the long term game is regressive to some extent, imo.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Does anyone have a good farming route for Act 2? The one I tried yesterday was shit compared to the one I've been using for Act 1 (I don't really like wandering over huge areas outdoors to try and find elites / dungeons).

When I farmed Act 2, I would do:

Start at the Kill Kulle quest. Do the two dungeons on the side in the Terminus, then kill Kulle.

Start the Belial quest to get Leah and Adria tanks.

Run around the desolate sands to find the dungeons there, complete, them. You need to at least do the Vault of the Assassin, since that one has the highest concentration of bosses in any dungeon that I've seen in the game.

Go to the Dalgur Oasis, hopefully you can find the Tomb of Khan Dakab to get the chest inside since it gives you rares. (http://soe.hubpages.com/video/Tomb-of-Khan-Dakab-Location-and-Event-Guide-Diablo-3)

check out the Road to Alcarnus and go towards where Magdha's room is, since there's always one or two bosses on the way.

Check out the sewer waypoints since the bosses are pretty easy to find there. (an additional sewer entrance is right to the left from the path to the oasis waypoint)

Check the other waypoints for any nearby bosses

Kill Belial since there's a boss pack on the way there too.

Some people prefer to just do the Vault of the Assassin, but I like to keep my 5 stack for as long as possible and kill everything.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Honestly, I think the only things improved in D3 over D2:LoD are the basic play mechanics (it's more fun in the moment/short term) and the graphics (obviously). Everything about the long term game is regressive to some extent, imo.

Agreed with the battle mechanics. I'm watching Kripp's stream as he newbs through Guild Wars 2, and the battle reminds me of other MMOs where you swing at something and it doesn't really feel like you hit it at all.

Diablo 3 really does an excellent job of imparting the force behind your attacks onto the object of your attacks. When I kill monsters, I beat the shit outta them, and I feel it.

The "arcadey" gameplay is fast and exciting. I like that.

The underlying RPG elements, skills, depth, diversity, etc, and all that, though...man it's just not as compelling as LoD was. Yeah, they didn't start from where LoD left off, they took a step forwards and two steps backwards.

The problem with this is that the community at large (not all, but most) will flock to optimal rather than viable. I'm not sure if there's anything to stop that short of the difference between "viable" and "optimal" to be miniscule.

I know what you mean, but I don't see that as a problem for me, or any individual player. If anything, it's a problem for Blizzard, and only because they have some kind of pie in the sky vision for everyone playing their game in a completely unique and self-contrived way. Their own extensive experience should show them that is a fool's errand. People want to look at a FAQ and be told something is the best, and to just do that.

Blizzard is trying to go against the flow of human nature, basically, and it'll never work for them.

scy

I know what you mean, but I don't see that as a problem for me, or any individual player. If anything, it's a problem for Blizzard, and only because they have some kind of pie in the sky vision for everyone playing their game in a completely unique and self-contrived way. Their own extensive experience should show them that is a fool's errand. People want to look at a FAQ and be told something is the best, and to just do that.

Blizzard is trying to go against the flow of human nature, basically, and it'll never work for them.

Well, what I mean is that the illusion of choice isn't there if there's still that optimal build that everyone uses. I'd argue that we had that case not long ago with Attack Speed Wizards. It was by far the best build to go with them. Critical Wizards were still viable but just not as good as them. I mean, it's the goto build now that Attack Speed has been adjusted and nothing in the Wizard skillset was actually changed.

But, you're right, I suppose that's not really our problem. As long as the rest of the builds are "viable enough." Whatever that means, however.

V_Arnold

I have two routes.
One is the big Act2 run, the one that ends with Belial.
1) Black Canyon Mines -> one or two elites within a minute's wandering around
(skippable if you really HATE the flies as a potential elite, depends on builds though)
2) Path to the Oasis -> back to the sewers -> one elite at least within a minute in the sewers.
3) Road To Alcarnus -> go into Alcarnus, an elite within a minute
4) Now you have to choice. One is to go to Belial event, with a unique mob, a fixed elite group that gets you to five stacks, then kill Belial. Or, you can finish the "Road To Alcarnus" area where there usually is a random event (sometimes the Ruins as well), or a few more elite groups. Then you can wander around in the Oasis as well, again with events and/or random elites.

After this, one either repeats the cycle or just goes to Desolate Sands+Archives of Kulle, where there are bound to be tons of good packs.

Second route is just the little one, with Black Canyon -> full clear (3-4 pack), then Road To Alcarnus + Alcarnus -> 5 stack, then go to Maghda.

Neki

Locking skill sets by only allowing you to change them to altars would have been terrible, even worse if runes dropped instead of being automatically acquired. I'd hear bitching about "omg I don't have the nether tentacle rune I've played for 300 hours omggggggggggggg".

no thanks.

jkanownik

Your resists are low. Especially if that's with War Cry active. I farm act II on my Monk with 650 and it sometimes feels a little light against some of the affixes.

I was at 25K DPS, 30K life and 800 resists. As I was upping my DPS & life my resists slowly dropped. In act 1 my survivability dramatically improved as I made the shift. In most of Act 2 my survivability dramatically improved. Against many combos of packs I get destroyed. I didn't do a lot of testing of Act 2 as I was farming Act 1. I thought improvements would carry over better.

maharg

idspispopd
Locking skill sets by only allowing you to change them to altars would have been terrible, even worse if runes dropped instead of being automatically acquired. I'd hear bitching about "omg I don't have the nether tentacle rune I've played for 300 hours omggggggggggggg".

no thanks.

I would just do it as an XP penalty, personally. Buy skills with XP (still unlocked by level), if you change it you have to rebuild the XP you used to get it in the first place. Still allow for a lot of switching, encourages you to play the game more, makes you feel invested in the evolution of your character, and can't be bought or sold.

But I think that's the least of the problems. The truth is that being *able* to switch skills doesn't really mean you *will* switch skills. People actually played D2 again to try new/different builds. I can't see myself doing that with D3 at all since by the time you get to lvl60 and gear up you've probably rejected 90% of the skills of a class as completely useless.

But I got bored with the game with one character at 57, one at 30, and one at 15. So I'm sure I don't count in most people's books, even if I did own probably 4 copies of Diablo 1 and 5 or 6 of Diablo 2 over the years.

I was at 25K DPS, 30K life and 800 resists. As I was upping my DPS & life my resists slowly dropped. In act 1 my survivability dramatically improved as I made the shift. In most of Act 2 my survivability dramatically improved. Against many combos of packs I get destroyed. I didn't do a lot of testing of Act 2 as I was farming Act 1. I thought improvements would carry over better.

You'll need a buffed 750+ for act III and probably 800+ for act IV. I'm at about 830 right now and want more.

We're different classes, but the elemetnal damage goes up quite a bit from act I to act II. I think I was able to do act I with like 350 resists. The elites in act II just do too much elemental damage. Arcane / Molten / Desecrator are all bad.

I've found that poison isn't so bad on Elites, yet is horrible on standard mobs. I can stand in plague longer then I can stand in the clouds of those mobs that blow up after they die.

Either way ... you'll hve to find a balance and get some of those resists back.

kennah

The cheque cleared :)

Screenshot012.jpg

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
LcNSp.jpg

Would this bring a decent amount on the RMAH, good sirs? Limiting searches to 3 properties sucks

Shouta

That should sell nicely on the GAH for sure but dunno about the RMAH.

Anyway, my 9 million gold finally sold on the RMAH, some extra cash ahoy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
even worse if runes dropped instead of being automatically acquired. I'd hear bitching about "omg I don't have the nether tentacle rune I've played for 300 hours omggggggggggggg".

Is that any different about players complaining about gear drops? There are ways to make the system accessible enough to placate casuals, yet deep enough to keep min/maxers interested.

At the least it'll be one more thing that can multiply diversity and diversify the itemization game with new variables.

Neki

Is that any different about players complaining about gear drops? There are ways to make the system accessible enough to placate casuals, yet deep enough to keep min/maxers interested.

At the least it'll be one more thing that can multiply diversity and diversify the itemization game with new variables.

It isn't, I'm just tired about about drop complaints. At least I only have to hear about people complaining that legendaries/set items don't drop for them (even though 90% of them are shit), if I had to hear about rune drops too, I'd go craaaaaaaazy.

scy

I think it'd just double the complaints :x

That said, upgrading Runes with drops should have totally been a system in the game. Be it actual rune drops or converting items/crafting materials into improving runes.

Wedge7

Hey guys, I put some extra cash a while back on my Blizzard account accidentally, and its sorta just been sitting their for a while. I was flirting with the idea of purchasing something with it, but in the end, I decided I would just take the reliable thing and just grab some gold.

So I figured I could purchase gold at the rate of $2.50, or I could buy it from one of you guys at a better rate. After the 2 consecutive 15% tax cuts that Blizzard takes out, you get around $1.80 per million. So I figure thats the base rate, wanted to know if anyone wanted to sell me $19 worth of gold. If multiple people want, I'll take the highest amount of gold you offer.

I'll be purchasing it off you on the RMAH, by buying an random item you place. If your a reputable/longtime/respected poster, I'll go first and purchase your item, and then you just give me the gold after. Doubt anyone would risk their reputation for $19 :p

Heading to bed, but I'll check in the morning if anyone wants to sell.

Anyone available to get me the waypoint for the whimsyshire staff in inferno? I'm in act 2 inferno and have the hell version, looking to upgrade it. Thanks in advance.

elrechazao#1614

Damn if I had 1.4mil I could quite nicely upgrade my belt ;_; It eats me I can't buy it :p
I'm trying to make a monk mf-geared that could farm a2 (don't want a3 at all for now, I would need much more funds to do so), but I currently don't have a lot on me unfortunately (~7300gold >_<)

If someone on EU feels generous and can lend me the money, feel free to contact me *wink*

eek5

Anyone available to get me the waypoint for the whimsyshire staff in inferno? I'm in act 2 inferno and have the hell version, looking to upgrade it. Thanks in advance.

elrechazao#1614

Added you but you never accepted. Finished my auction tycoon 3 session though so you'll have to grab the recipe from someone else.

Yeah, they'll kill me good. Ahh well, will try the other one, maybe come up with a hybrid.
What I've found effective and isn't too much different than the others is:

Start on the Kill Belial quest. This will get you Leah and Adria

- Do the Sewers of Caldeum, go up the ladder to the waiting portal
- Go to Black Canyon and just clear the small area, usually 1 -3 champs
- Road to Alcarnus. Clear the area as a goblin shows up fairly often, then just complete
the first area on the way to Magdha's lair as the area up the stairs does not have champs.
- Go to Ancient Path and check the switchback for the goblin
- Go to Desolate Sands and look for the Vault of Assassins. There can be 6 - 10 champs just in here.

Next time you play, you'll start in the Vault. Quickly use the transporter thing to go out to Desolate Sands and back in and then TP to town. I do this because sometimes you lose your TP and then it's a pain to find the Vault again so this way you'll at least know it's location in Desolate Sands

From there, just repeat the above areas first, being sure to only use waypoints as you want to leave that Vault TP up. I think it's a far superior route than Act 1 and is still very fast. With my decently equipped DH I can clear the above in under 30 minutes with about 15 champs. Only things that give me trouble sometimes are those disappearing snake bitches.

eek5

This is my refined route:

(Start at Black Soulstone quest)

1) Sewers (small area) 1-2 champ close to WP
2) Black Canyon Mines -
2a) BCM area should have 1-2 champs
2b)Check SW corner for deserted cellar. Go into cellar and if there is no barricade at the first door kill the unique and go into cave. Resplendent and 1-3 champ inside
3) Khasim Outpost (optional): About a third of the time, this step is a waste but there are 3 things that can spawn here: Idol cave, Ruins, or Necromancer (1 champ). It's worth checking out. I basically just run south then make a ring around the perimeter. Sometimes you don't get anything.. not even a pack.. but when you do it is worth it
5) Road to Alcarnus - Check perimeter for goblin. If no goblin head towards Magdha lair. Only check the first area (not past the second barricade) There is never champ there. Should be 1-2 champs
6) Path to Oasis - From WP head down sewers. Small area with 1-3 champs
7) Dalgur Oasis - Generally checking for Tomb of Dakab but Ruins can also spawn aroudn this area. In the NE there is a room that can spawn with an elite on the edge of the map. NOTE: NEVER, EVER GO INTO ANCIENT CAVES. No champs ever spawn there.
8) Ancient Path - Check for goblin on switchbacks then head north to Desolate sands
8a) There are always two dungeons in Desolate sands. A cave and Vault of Assassins. There can be 1-2 optional dungeons as well. I always clear the cave because there are usually 2-4 champ packs as well as a resplendent at the end. Save VoA for last
9a) Vault of the Assassin. When you enter you'll get a checkpoint. From here you'll want to clear it either clockwise or counter clockwise. When you enter a fork/intersection always check the auxilary paths. The layout is always in a huge square so if the main path is heading east and you came in from the south you'll want to check north and west before moving on. There is a bit of backtracking every pathway but there are usually champs in each other corners which makes it worth it. After you clear this area, head to town and quit.

-- When you restart you'll be in VoA again. Hit the portal to exit into Desolate sands. VoA is now marked on your map and you can go back to 1 and clear it again. This time you'll know exactly where to go to finish your run.

I no longer kill any bosses since it'll reset my checkpoint.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks!

Quivers are so funky.

If you want to see how much elemental arrow damage effects the price, do a search for the two most valuable stats on the quiver you have; observe the prices and active bids. Then, add elemental arrow damage to the search and see how that changes the prices.

NecroRamone

Neo Member
Are you ready to rock? Click on the picture to see the unditentification video on youtube! (sry for the quality, will improve in the future)

LordCanti

Are you ready to rock? Click on the picture to see the unditentification video on youtube! (sry for the quality, will improve in the future)

Did they patch out the ability to check UNID'd items stats without ID'ing them, or did you just not want to use that method out of principle?

NecroRamone

Neo Member
I found that collecting max lvl unids is a good way to keep myself motivated, coz if it takes 5 days to collect two pages items I'm guaranteed to finish 4 of the 5 days satisfied coz I feel I'm getting closer to my goal (yes, the indentification day can be a total failure), while playing the normal way means 3-4 'played for nothing days'.

BTW, here is my loot of the day:

loot5.jpg

linsivvi

Is it just me or did Blizzard apply a hot fix on how elites restore to full health?

I died a couple times on a solo farming run yesterday and when I walked all the way back from the dungeon entrance, the elites didn't restore back to full health, just like how it used to be before all the patches. It took me at least half a minute to get back to that point. If so, chalk this up to yet another design mistake that Blizzard have learned from trial and error.

Did they patch out the ability to check UNID'd items stats without ID'ing them, or did you just not want to use that method out of principle?

Why does it even matter? He's not trying to sell the UNID'd items. If he wanted to know their stats, he could've just ID'ed them right away. Obviously he just wanted to save them all for one big ID session, which is cool.

eek5

Is it just me or did Blizzard apply a hot fix on how elites restore to full health?

I died a couple times on a solo farming run yesterday and when I walked all the way back from the dungeon entrance, the elites didn't restore back to full health, just like how it used to be at before all the patches. It took me at least half a minute to get back to that point. If so, chalk this up to yet another design mistake that Blizzard have learned from trial and error.

Nope. I had some elites go back to full health right next to a checkpoint in a run this morning. My death timer was 3 seconds.

inky

So I played again today and I am having this issue in which whenever I alt+tab the game just slows to a permanent crawl and the only solution is to restart it. CPU/GPU usage seems normal, game is only using about 800k RAM in the task manager and every other application runs well, it's just Diablo. Whenever I hit Ctrl+R to check FPS it always shows 0, regardless of how the game is running. It only seems to be happening when I alt tab, and it happened once when the itunes auto updater showed up and minimized the game. What gives?

Edit: Here's a short video. Made sure there was nothing running in the background and I don't have any OC. It's happening constantly, and not only when I alt+tab I just realized.

Just started the game again and now it's there from the beginning, Ugh. Checked other games and those are running fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom