• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Wizard has a skill that deduces one-hit kills down to just 35% of your max health, presuming that the dmg doesn't exceed your total health (meaning, if you have 10k health and you get hit for 8k, it'll only do 3500. However, if you get hit for 11k, you die).

This is wrong. If you get hit by something that's 199% of your max health, you'll take 99% damage. If it's 200%, you'll die. So with your example, you'd have to take a 20k hit to still get one-shotted with force armor activated.

Belial is a joke as a wizard? On Inferno? Solo?

No way.

Hardest (well most random) fight I had in the game .... including Diablo.

It's a joke if you're a melee build. If not...then yeah. Pretty tough. 3rd form is cake though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Also, there's no invisible naga during the Belial fight.

Belial is 3 stages, the first two stages feature invisible Naga prominently. If you have high enough damage you can clear the 2nd stage before they spawn.

Did you do this before or after the smokescreen nerf? ;)

scy

Why not just stack MF gear WITH the 5 stacks of NV? Or are you suggesting that people are going to go with top of the line gear to run through elites/mobs as much as they can and not compromise having MF?

I mean that's what I am doing, running Act 1 Inferno with like 200MF and 5 stacks.

Archon farming kind of makes my equipment not entirely relevant. Does it have INT? Is my Weapon okay? Alright, MF time.

Doesn't help that Act 1 does like no damage :x

Belial is 3 stages, the first two stages feature invisible Naga prominently. If you have high enough damage you can clear the 2nd stage before they spawn.

Did you do this before or after the smokescreen nerf? ;)

It took me about five tries on my Wizard due to those damn Snakes. And most of the difficulty was from my desire to not lose my NV buff and switch to something to make it easy like Archon :/

The question is: Once the drop rate changes go live, at what point of gear will it be more efficient to move to act 2 (or even act 3) for the increased drop rates of high tier items?

Right now I can clear most of Act 3 solo on my barb including 5 stacks. But it takes a while. Maybe, say, an hour to do a full 5 stack siegebreaker with 1 full repair. During that hour I get, on average, 3-5 rares.

I do butcher in 25 minutes with 200% base MF before any NV at all, and I walk out with probably 15 rares.

Even though I'm geared for Act 3, it's more efficient for me to farm Act 1. This too indicates something is broken.

Unfortunately, I have a very strong suspicion that they're going to fix this by a) nerfing the number of champion packs on the way to butcher, and b) nerfing Warden loot tables.

Even though I can do ZK > Belial pretty fast, I still feel like Butcher might be the most efficient in terms of ilvl 63 drops / hour

That's really what it's going to come down to after the patch. I don't think they will nerf anything though. They stated that they want players to feel the need to do more than just boss runs and getting rid of elite packs won't do that.

They also said that they want the player to decide how to farm. Since iLvl 63 now drops in act I, but only 30% as much as act III or IV, it then becomes up to the player to decide where to go. Do I pulls lots of elite packs with a lower chance if top tier items, or less elite packs with a better chance of awesome gear.

You are reading it wrong. Or maybe there is a semantic issue in this thread. He says that loot isn't affected in real time to that poster, but the AH was a variable in pre-determined drop loot equation/system that is fixing to get buffed. Their calculations including this variable were and are currently shit to the point you are forced to use the AH. Thus the AH must be the dominant variable affecting loot.

Simple.

Edited.

It's possible we're saying the same thing then. I don't like to say "it was a variable in the equation" because that makes it sound by definition like real time, or at the very least it makes it sound like the drop rates changes periodically.

All I'm saying is that the designed fixed, unchanging (ever) drop rates with the idea that "because statistically you're extremely unlikely to get something you want, but reasonably likely to get something someone else wants, the best way for people to acquire gear they need is to buy/sell using the AH".

This is wrong. If you get hit by something that's 199% of your max health, you'll take 99% damage. If it's 200%, you'll die. So with your example, you'd have to take a 20k hit to still get one-shotted with force armor activated.

Ah, thank you for clarifying. They still haven't updated the skill description, so I knew it had something to do with it exceeding your max health.

scy

It's possible we're saying the same thing then. I don't like to say "it was a variable in the equation" because that makes it sound by definition like real time, or at the very least it makes it sound like the drop rates changes periodically.

All I'm saying is that the designed fixed, unchanging (ever) drop rates with the idea that "because statistically you're extremely unlikely to get something you want, but reasonably likely to get something someone else wants, the best way for people to acquire gear they need is to buy/sell using the AH".

I think the larger takeaway is that the testing and balancing of the game was done without the AH. That is, all progression was done without the AH, regardless of how we want to discuss drop rates. The AH simply serves as a way to lessen the time spent or to get those vastly rarer pieces/best in slots.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well, they're actually the same type, they just can't cloak. They still hit just as hard.

Edit: It also spawns the Magus ones too, though I guess those are almost freebies.

They don't turn invisible, so that makes them pretty different. The invisibility stuff is the big thing that makes the invisible ones hard.

Otherwise, yes, they're the same.

scy

They don't turn invisible, so that makes them pretty different. The invisibility stuff is the big thing that makes the invisible ones hard.

Otherwise, yes, they're the same.

I suppose. The cramped area kind of makes them still pretty bad, though. At least they're not dodging Blizzards AND cramped quarters :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfwxLlSgGmo

Here is a video of Kungen's barb dying in a3. It all happened so fast lol

Hardcore is fucking stupid. It's funny thought because the current implementation of hardcore with a shared stash and gold implies that you don't really lose anything but a little bit of time invested on the character as well as some gear (which people with 10k+ concurrent stream viewers get for fucking free anyway). Dying in it is practically meaningless because they just power level another character up in less than 10 hours, get someone to give them the act 3 inferno waypoints and off they go again.

zoukka

Hey GAF Witch Doctors. Here's my stats and build. My gear is still budget crap so I want to ask, what are the most clear weaknesses on my WD and what should I patch next?

6B2gd.jpg

89gao.jpg

I farm act 2 till maghda because further ahead things get hairy for a solo WD and act 3 is a no-go still for me.

Thanks guise.

Raxus

This isn't a completely fair assesment. I've done a fair amount of farming act I inferno and have only a couple rings to show for it (equipped). I've found some stuff and sold some stuff and bought some stuff, but I feel like even that's not enough to progress into act II. I'm willing to put in the work to find the gear I need, and I still don't find it.

If act II requires iLvl61 and a mix of iLvl 62+ gear to succeed and I can barely get iLvl 61 stuff to drop in Act I, we have an issue with the way the game progresses it's players.

I am at the same point as you. They really fucked up the loot tables and it doesn't help they reduced the gold you get in act I before 1.03 was released. I need cash to purchase good gear from the AH and I need good gear to sell to get that cash. It creates a vicious cycle where you are doing Act I endlessly.

I think the larger takeaway is that the testing and balancing of the game was done without the AH. That is, all progression was done without the AH, regardless of how we want to discuss drop rates. The AH simply serves as a way to lessen the time spent or to get those vastly rarer pieces/best in slots.

Yea, but they also didnt progress through inferno this way. Keep in mind for testing they can literally use internal cheats to create gear

linsivvi

POIDH. 5 stacks gurantees with 100% probability 2-3 rares from every boss kill.

What that means is that he's either lying or very confused about how the game works.

5 stacks always produce 2+ rares from bosses, and I can reconfirm it after dozens of runs against Warden and Butcher.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I suppose. The cramped area kind of makes them still pretty bad, though. At least they're not dodging Blizzards AND cramped quarters :x

Right. And that fight would be like 100x harder than it already is if they randomly turned invisible and you couldn't do shit until they turned un-invisible.

Cagey

Banned
Ouch, friend just sold a crap item for a good chunk of money... but didn't know about the limitations of Blizzard Bucks.

Can't buy weed and pussy with Blizzard Bucks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The constant slows help, and skipped most elite packs in act 2. Had to co-op zoltun and belial, but no way I can do act 3, any range attack 1 hits.

With that HP, 100 or so in resists, and 1600 armor, I'm surprised you don't get 1-hit by the zombies at the beginning of Act 1.

scy

Yea, but they also didnt progress through inferno this way. Keep in mind for testing they can literally use internal cheats to create gear

I'd like to think they didn't balance the game difficulty around spawning themselves gear. But, maybe I'm wrong :/

Right. And that fight would be like 100x harder than it already is if they randomly turned invisible and you couldn't do shit until they turned un-invisible.

Oh no, I'm agreeing with you. It'd be a lot worse if they could cloak. Was just saying that, otherwise, they're the same types so they will still probably one-shot you if you let them.

Kind of weird, the more and more I try and play this game the way blizzard have designed it to be played, the more it makes me hate this game. Trying to do act 3 inferno and having to fight rares with imbalanced affixs makes me want to rage or go back to boring gob farming.

Wool

I am at the same point as you. They really fucked up the loot tables and it doesn't help they reduced the gold you get in act I before 1.03 was released. I need cash to purchase good gear from the AH and I need good gear to sell to get that cash. It creates a vicious cycle where you are doing Act I endlessly.

I gave up act 1 gold farming awhile ago, it's all about flipping things on the AH if you're trying to make good amounts of gold. I can make the same amount of gold that I gathered from all of normal-hell in 2 or 3 transactions on the AH.

Zuly

Attempted to name a character "Lust" and it told me the name was innapropriate. Lust is not a bad word, damn it!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The question is: Once the drop rate changes go live, at what point of gear will it be more efficient to move to act 2 (or even act 3) for the increased drop rates of high tier items?

Right now I can clear most of Act 3 solo on my barb including 5 stacks. But it takes a while. Maybe, say, an hour to do a full 5 stack siegebreaker with 1 full repair. During that hour I get, on average, 3-5 rares.

I do butcher in 25 minutes with 200% base MF before any NV at all, and I walk out with probably 15 rares.

Even though I'm geared for Act 3, it's more efficient for me to farm Act 1. This too indicates something is broken.

Unfortunately, I have a very strong suspicion that they're going to fix this by a) nerfing the number of champion packs on the way to butcher, and b) nerfing Warden loot tables.

Even though I can do ZK > Belial pretty fast, I still feel like Butcher might be the most efficient in terms of ilvl 63 drops / hour

Stomping Act 1 content is just a hell of a lot more fun, fast, and rewarding than struggling with Act 2 or Act 3 content. I'm up to the point where I can make progress in Act 3 now, but Act 2 is still very challenging. The wrong combination on a rare pack and I'm going to be dying while trying to run them into some corner so they won't bother me. It's not efficient, and the mobs just aren't fun to deal with. It also doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the desert setting and much prefer Act 1 in terms of aesthetics (environments and mob design), and music.

Artanisix

Yeah, when 1.03 comes out I'll probably be speedfarming A1/A2, unless A3 is significantly nerfed that it's super easy for me to do.

Giveaway #2 (North American servers only!)

No tricks, no smoke, no mirrors. These are some decent weapons for fresh 60's, or Act 1 Inferno 60's that I'm donating because I have no use for them, and I'm sure gaffers would make better use of it than letting it rot in my stash. All of these items dropped from Act 3 Inferno+. :p

1liTA.png

You can choose one item, and after time has expired, I will roll for each item. Meaning six people are getting new items! The more people who want a weapon, the less chance you'll have less of getting it.

All you need to do is PM your GAF name and battletag and the item you want and you'll be entered.

All winners will get a free Exalted Pallium Shoulders recipe, free of charge, courtesy of Artanisix

The raffle will end 5PM Mountain Time on June 15th (Friday).

quoting for ultimoo

make sure you private message ULTIMOO, not me

Okay, I just installed the game, but whenever I get to the login screen my mouse just stops working. I can type in my password and e-mail address but thats as far as I can get. Any help, please?

DTKT

Health link + reflect damage = bullshit.

I would be okay with reflect damage being removed or reworked. It shits on any class with no sustain. For a DH, it's spam SS and hope that you can kill it before you run out of Discipline.

Wedge7

what.png

What? Anyone get one of these from one of your auctions? My previous auction seemed fine, but I woke up this morning and get this?

My first inclination was an immediate fear that perhaps the auction had been won with perhaps a stolen credit card or chargeback funds, but that doesnt really make sense, since I got the "You sold an Auction" Email and this one at the exact same time.

If they are really just randomly checking auctions, I as a seller dont really mind, but fuck if this doesnt suck for the buyer. Dropping some real cash on a new item, and have to potentially wait ****48 HOURS**** till it arrives. My god, the value of that item may have dropped more than 50% in that time period. Just boggles my mind that Blizz does that sort of stuff.

TommyT

I would be okay with reflect damage being removed or reworked. It shits on any class with no sustain. For a DH, it's spam SS and hope that you can kill it before you run out of Discipline.

Uh or get Life on Hit, % damage to life, regen, etc. I'm having no problem with reflect damage on any part of inferno. It's fine.

scosher

I'd like to think they didn't balance the game difficulty around spawning themselves gear. But, maybe I'm wrong :/

I'm sure they did. They don't have time to actually farm the gear it would take to progress. By them stating we tuned progression without the AH in mind, they probably thought in terms of well, "iLvl 61 from Act 1 can get you through Act 2; iLvl 62 gear from Act 2 can then get you through Act 3/4, etc."

The problem with balancing progression in that way is that a) without the AH, it would take a LONG fucking time to get a set of iLvl 60-61 gear with useful stat rolls (primary stat/Vit/+resists); and b) the difference in iLvl 61, 62, and 63 gear is pretty stark, especially with the DPS on weapons.

I think in the end, we can all agree that it's not really that the loot table is too shitty. D2 loot table was just as shitty, but it wasn't imperative to get to progress. It's just that the difficulty scaling is way too steep between each act in Inferno. By the time you are ready for Act 2, you are so geared to the teeth for Act 1 that you can plow through it...thereby making it so if you need a few other marginal upgrades, your time is still better spent farming the much easier Act 1. I'm sure the 1.03 changes will fix all this.

Why do DHs neglect LoH so much?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why do DHs neglect LoH so much?

Life on hit seems like such a risky stat to invest in right now. It seems to me that it is destined to be treated just like the % life steal, and be extremely restricted based on difficulty. Perhaps reduced by 80% in Inferno like % life steal.

mercviper

what.png

What? Anyone get one of these from one of your auctions? My previous auction seemed fine, but I woke up this morning and get this?

My first inclination was an immediate fear that perhaps the auction had been won with perhaps a stolen credit card or chargeback funds, but that doesnt really make sense, since I got the "You sold an Auction" Email and this one at the exact same time.

If they are really just randomly checking auctions, I as a seller dont really mind, but fuck if this doesnt suck for the buyer. Dropping some real cash on a new item, and have to potentially wait ****48 HOURS**** till it arrives. My god, the value of that item may have dropped more than 50% in that time period. Just boggles my mind that Blizz does that sort of stuff.

Looking at the support article linked in the email, it suggests that the buyer's credit card transaction (or blizz bucks? not sure how the system works as a buyer) failed, which is why it's under review. So yeah, it sucks a bit for the buyer but they have other problems to worry about than waiting 48 hours for a virtual item.

Just hit 59 last night on my Monk (2 bars from 60). I have some questions but without my build here at work I will stick with these 2.

What's up with the Near Death Experience passive? Seems good, but I kind of have 3 locked in passives already.

I'm using Seize the Initiative to buff up my Armor, One With Everything to try and stack arcane resist and get my resists ready for Inferno (currently at 225), and Transcendence's healing seems hard to give up.

Is there even room for NDE or any of the other passives?

Also, does anyone use more than one spirit generator at a time? Combination Strike passive seems to hint that one might, but I've never wanted to give up an ability slot for a second SG.

Life on hit seems like such a risky stat to invest in right now. It seems to me that it is destined to be treated just like the % life steal, and be extremely restricted based on difficulty. Perhaps reduced by 80% in Inferno like % life steal.

They're already quoted as saying they're comfortable with the power of LoH, and UNcomfortable with the power of life steal

Life on hit is not diminished by difficulty, it is diminished by the skill you use. Every skill has a flat % modifier that multiplies your LOH stat in order to give you the net LOH from that skill. This is to balance skills that hit in an AoE or hit really fast against stacking lots of LOH.

Ultimately, DHs neglect it because they typically die in one hit anyway. The only enemy type against which it is remotely useful is reflects damage, and then it's possible to just carry a decent secondary weapon with big LOH (or to just play smarter).

Shouta

Can't wait for 1.03's NV changes. I should be drowning in rares to identify when I totally decimate most of the elites in Act 2 Inferno but only come up with maybe 14 from elites, chests, goblins, and knocking stuff over.

scy

Just hit 59 last night on my Monk (2 bars from 60). I have some questions but without my build here at work I will stick with these 2.

What's up with the Near Death Experience passive? Seems good, but I kind of have 3 locked in passives already.

I'm using Seize the Initiative to buff up my Armor, One With Everything to try and stack arcane resist and get my resists ready for Inferno (currently at 225), and Transcendence's healing seems hard to give up.

Is there even room for NDE or any of the other passives?

Also, does anyone use more than one spirit generator at a time? Combination Strike passive seems to hint that one might, but I've never wanted to give up an ability slot for a second SG.

I don't like One With Everything since you can get a good amount of Resists by just gearing +All Resist. Stacking Resists works but you'd see good returns by raising your DEX (for Armor, Dodge) or just getting a lot of +Armor/+STR. Having good Armor and Resists will ultimately be better than having low Armor and high Resists.

But, as far as NDE is concerned, I've never used it for normal. I can see it being useful to cheat death in Hardcore though.

As for Combination Strike, I don't think the bonus from it is enough to warrant the slot but quite a few Monks do run Fists of Thunder + Deadly Reach for their on-hit buffs.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The RMAH is what serves as a way to lessen the time spent. The gold AH is an intended part of progression to not waste time spent.

I spend 10 hours and getting shit and an amazing Wizard item, and a Wizard spends 10 hours getting shit and an amazing Monk item. The most logical thing to do is trade to not waste time. Either in a group or through the gold auction house.

The game was designed to get gear for other people more than yourself.

There is no possible way to gear yourself up completely by yourself for inferno act 4 unless you are crazy and refuse to sell the items you get and buy upgrades.

Look at the hardcore side of things. There are next to no upgrades for Act 3 on the AH, and they are getting nothing good from Act 2 or crafting. Progression is halted for them while progression exists on softcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom