• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is humbling.

I decided to go back into Inferno Act 1 to try and progress, and it turned out beating the Skeleton King alone didn't unlock the next quest, I forgot to talk to whomever. I figure since I already beat it in a public game it wouldn't be a problem. It was a problem somehow (yellow big guys), so somebody had the idea of going to the Crypts instead I assume to find a different place to try and gather items.

We encounter this Rare Imp with Invulnerable Minions (I forget the other affixes, but I think extra health might've been one of them). Of course, it takes too long to kill and we get the death counter, and I throw up my arms and say "It's over" in the chat. Then this Wizard with 60K HP comes in and is wondering why we are having problems since Act 1 is EZ mode.

Time passes, he's wondering why the Imp just recovered all of its HP in an instant. Some more fighting later and he eventually ragequits, despite all confidence that the enemy was doable.

Despite that it still feels bad to have trouble where people say you shouldn't.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So is every one upgrading their Blacksmiths? Cost a lot to upgrade it.

Someone was saying it was a waste of money to upgrade and more efficient to buy stuff on AH.

But I have also heard the opposite so i am not really sure what the dealio is homie!

Good to know.

What is a good LOH to aim for for the poor fools out there? What is a good goal that won't cost 50m gold?

Are you a DH? If so it's hard to say because you hit less frequently than I do, as a barb. It also depends on your attack speed.

It helps to convert all your LOH into Life per Second (LPS) and then add it to your passive health regen and figure out a number you feel comfortable with. Then again, if you're dying in 1 hit regardless, then I guess you have to weigh whether or not it's worth it for the purposes of one single champion affix.

For me, as a barb I'm currently rolling with about 650 LoH and about 2.3 attacks per second, for a total of around 1500 life per second, in addition to maybe a 100 passive regen from a random piece of gear. I could use more, and probably will upgrade my Star Amethyst to a Flawless Star one of these days.

TommyT

Good to know.

What is a good LOH to aim for for the poor fools out there? What is a good goal that won't cost 50m gold?

LoH is expensive right now unless you find a really low DPS weapon. You can however get something almost comparable if you get 3% damage to life if you're stacking +crit damage. I would also say +crit % but that's becoming expensive as well.

edit: That's for DH.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Are you a DH? If so it's hard to say because you hit less frequently than I do, as a barb. It also depends on your attack speed.

It helps to convert all your LOH into Life per Second (LPS) and then add it to your passive health regen and figure out a number you feel comfortable with. Then again, if you're dying in 1 hit regardless, then I guess you have to weigh whether or not it's worth it for the purposes of one single champion affix.

Sorry, no, I am a Barb. I can get through most of Act I semi comfortably, but still die fairly regularly in the Halls of whatever right before the Butcher. The Butcher is mostly a pushover though.

I don't like One With Everything since you can get a good amount of Resists by just gearing +All Resist. Stacking Resists works but you'd see good returns by raising your DEX (for Armor, Dodge) or just getting a lot of +Armor/+STR. Having good Armor and Resists will ultimately be better than having low Armor and high Resists.

Ah good. I hadn't really been paying attention to resist stats as I made my way through the game, even in Hell, but as I approached 60 I've tried to catch up and OWE seemed the way to go. I guess focusing on Resist All will be a high priority as I kit up my 60, and eventually I'll be able to drop OWE.

Don't have my stats here but I know my dex is pretty high as all my items prioritized hp/dex... I had 40k+ hp midway through Hell, and it seems like I will have to sacrifice some of that hp to get gear with better overall defense.

Sorry, no, I am a Barb. I can get through most of Act I semi comfortably, but still die fairly regularly in the Halls of whatever right before the Butcher. The Butcher is mostly a pushover though.

If that's the case, LoH probably isn't your problem. You don't really need to start specing LoH until mid to late act 2, and definitely by act 3 it's crucial. For act 1 it's more likely to be some combination of:

a) Undergeared enchantress companion, using someone other than the Enchantress, or not choosing Powered Mind / Focused Armor as her abilities
b) Not enough vitality (20k-25k HP is probably sufficient)
c) Not enough resists (250ish unbuffed is probably ok)
d) Not using Nerves of Steel / Superstition / Tough as Nails
e) Not using Warcry / Impunity

Someone was saying it was a waste of money to upgrade and more efficient to buy stuff on AH.

But I have also heard the opposite so i am not really sure what the dealio is homie!

Just don't forget in 1.03 cost of upgrade will be lower and crafting itself will be cheaper.

BTW i wonder how many people will have trouble with tax offices in their countries thx to RMAH - i tried to find how to pay tax from such sales in Poland and it's such a mess it's not worth the headache.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If that's the case, LoH probably isn't your problem. You don't really need to start specing LoH until mid to late act 2, and definitely by act 3 it's crucial. For act 1 it's more likely to be some combination of:

a) Undergeared enchantress companion, using someone other than the Enchantress, or not choosing Powered Mind / Focused Armor as her abilities
b) Not enough vitality (20k-25k HP is probably sufficient)
c) Not enough resists (250ish unbuffed is probably ok)
d) Not using Nerves of Steel / Superstition / Tough as Nails
e) Not using Warcry / Impunity

Hmmm, my Enchantress is pretty much completely ignored equipment wise. What should her role be in battle, and what kind of equipment does she need?

I think my vitality is also pretty low, around 18k life I think. My resists are pretty high though, I think upwards of 400 buffed.

scy

Hmmm, my Enchantress is pretty much completely ignored equipment wise. What should her role be in battle, and what kind of equipment does she need?

I think my vitality is also pretty low, around 18k life I think. My resists are pretty high though, I think upwards of 400 buffed.

Ideally, Resists = Armor/10. Just think of Resists as a second Armor since ... that's basically what they are. Having higher Resists isn't better than having higher Armor.

As for the Enchantress, give her a good Two Hander and then stack her with INT and VIT. She gets 2.5 INT and VIT per point (e.g., +100 INT/VIT is actually +250 INT/VIT for her) so it's pretty easy to get her to 3000+ Damage. But, you basically just want her for her utility. She has a low cooldown targeted Knockback, a -Damage Resistance% debuff, +15% Armor and +3% Attack Speed that she's giving you.

Ideally, Resists = Armor/10. Just think of Resists as a second Armor since ... that's basically what they are. Having higher Resists isn't better than having higher Armor.

As for the Enchantress, give her a good Two Hander and then stack her with INT and VIT. She gets 2.5 INT and VIT per point (e.g., +100 INT/VIT is actually +250 INT/VIT for her) so it's pretty easy to get her to 3000+ Damage. But, you basically just want her for her utility. She has a low cooldown targeted Knockback, a -Damage Resistance% debuff, +15% Armor and +3% Attack Speed that she's giving you.

Barbs actually want her for dps. I'm going to guess that his dps is probably around 9k right now. An enchantress with a shitty 1k dps 2 hander and rings and amulets with garbage stats other than massive INT will get her up to 4k dps easily, which is like a 50% overall dps increase.

Not to mention that in Act 1, most groups come in swarms. Mine is around 5.1k dps now and half the time I don't even get a chance to attack a large pack of enemies because she just explodes them before I get there.

18k HP is probably ok but more wouldn't hurt. does your helm have a socket? You can get a nice boost that way, although % life is less effective than VIT (in equal quantities) because VIT also results in an armor boost.

But going back to the enchantress, yea she's a dps beast (considering the % increase she offers over a barb's shitty dps), and she buffs your armor and resists.

scy

Barbs actually want her for dps. I'm going to guess that his dps is probably around 9k right now. An enchantress with a shitty 1k dps 2 hander and rings and amulets with garbage stats other than massive INT will get her up to 4k dps easily, which is like a 50% overall dps increase.

True. And she has two Weapon Damage% abilities which do a lot more than what her listed Damage would seem to indicate. She's nice damage even for my Wizard, for instance, and I have ~45k DPS. People write her (and the Scoundrel) off for damage due to it being so low but ... they're free damage. And the utility they provide is nice.

Kunohara

I finally sold something for alot of gold (to me at least). Sold this for 600k. If you tell me I could have sold it for more I will cry. Either way, I'm happy.

cjJsM.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Not to mention that in Act 1, most groups come in swarms. Mine is around 5.1k dps now and half the time I don't even get a chance to attack a large pack of enemies because she just explodes them before I get there.

18k HP is probably ok but more wouldn't hurt. does your helm have a socket? You can get a nice boost that way.

But going back to the enchantress, yea she's a dps beast (considering the % increase she offers over a barb's shitty dps), and she buffs your armor and resists.

My buffed DPS is more like 18k. When I super saiyan it is more like 48K. I like it being up there, and love going super saiyan on elites.

I will definitely gear her better now that I know that her DPS can be relevant.

Need to work on vitality too.

So I have this Quiver that has a stat "Reduces resource cost of Cluster Arrow by 3 Hatred". On the Auction House, there is no option to search for Demon Hunter Skill Bonus: Cluster Arrow. it's just not even there. How do I know what this thing is worth? Is Cluster Arrow a piece of shit skill, or is this valuable?

I'd say do it sporadically. Its achievements. It might pay off eventually. Who knows. They could buff forging stuff.

scy

So I have this Quiver that has a stat "Reduces resource cost of Cluster Arrow by 3 Hatred". On the Auction House, there is no option to search for Demon Hunter Skill Bonus: Cluster Arrow. it's just not even there. How do I know what this thing is worth? Is Cluster Arrow a piece of shit skill, or is this valuable?

-6% Resource Cost of a skill that's rarely used.

Also, there isn't one if you select Off-Hand > Quiver? That's kind of weird.

Ferrio

Banned

Class specific stats will only show up if you have that type of item selected. So you gotta have offhand->quiver set.

edit: Or not?

But ya that's a shitty stat.

Didn't people say before that a resist = 10 armor? Or did I read something really wrong and screw myself over by buying high resist/lower armor gear because I thought the resist would make up the difference?

Didn't people say before that a resist = 10 armor? Or did I read something really wrong and screw myself over by buying high resist/lower armor gear because I thought the resist would make up the difference?

1 resist = 10 armor if your current armor equals 10x your current resist.

If your current armor is < 10x your current resist, then 10 armor is better than 1 resist, and if your current armor is > 10x your current resist, then 10 armor is worse than 1 resist.

that doesn't always mean you should try to keep them in a 10:1 ratio, because often times you might find an item that boosts your higher stat for a great price, and the price makes it more cost effective.

Bog

Junior Ace
Anyone else get achievements they didn't deserve last night? I got the full stash, jeweler and blacksmith ones last night even though I'm on page 2, level 8 and level 7 respectively. My co-op buddy was getting them too, usually on entering a public game.

scy

that doesn't always mean you should try to keep them in a 10:1 ratio, because often times you might find an item that boosts your higher stat for a great price, and the price makes it more cost effective.

Yeah, I kept the suggestion around as a means to help people gear cheaper, really. It's not as simple as "Oh, I got +50 All Resists, that means I can afford to lose up to 500 Armor!" since that's approaching it wrong. It's more that "+300 Armor means this one with +30 Resist is just as good as if I had gotten one with just +60 Resist but 10 times the cost!"

Otherwise, it would mean that 10000 Armor / 100 Resist (or 1000 Armor / 1000 Resists) is the same as 5500 Armor / 550 Resists and that's not the case. For the curious, that's 18% Damage Taken vs 13.26% Damage Taken.

kpeezy

Banned
Ultimately, DHs neglect it because they typically die in one hit anyway. The only enemy type against which it is remotely useful is reflects damage, and then it's possible to just carry a decent secondary weapon with big LOH (or to just play smarter).

This is basically it for me. It's really expensive to get good LoH gear and then it's only useful vs reflect damage mobs in order to sustain your DPS. For any other mob, Nether Tentacles does a good enough job. LoH doesn't add much survivability, if any, vs other mob types IMO.

I just try to manage my cooldowns well vs Reflect Damage. Between Nether Tentacles, pots, and preparation I usually don't die. Sometimes have to wait for a pot though.

Shouta

I finally sold something for alot of gold (to me at least). Sold this for 600k. If you tell me I could have sold it for more I will cry. Either way, I'm happy.

cjJsM.jpg

600k for that is pretty good considering most DHs are looking for other stats. 10% on Bola Shot is pretty nice if your damage is pretty high though. It's the generator shot that I use the most on DH but I'm only on hell so far.

As for monk passives, One With Everything and Seize the Initiative are the go to ones with the third being up in the air but Transcendence is very good. If you're using Deadly Reach - Keen Eye with Mantra of Evasion - Hard Target, then you go without Seize the Initiative but OwE is simply way too good not to have.

scy

As for monk passives, One With Everything and Seize the Initiative are the go to ones with the third being up in the air but Transcendence is very good. If you're using Deadly Reach - Keen Eye with Mantra of Evasion - Hard Target, then you go without Seize the Initiative but OwE is simply way too good not to have.

If you're gearing smartly then, yes, OwE and StI are practically staples (and, at that point, you can get the Life per Spirit Spent to not care so much about Transcendence). Too many Monks use OwE to gear ridiculously high Resists at the expense of the rest of the stats, however, so I don't quite like it as a broad catch all without at least explaining how to really use it :x

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Just beat hell with melee loh wizard, off to see how he does in inferno.

Was easy sailing except for one vampiric elite, would spend a minute getting his health down, then I guess he would hit me, tyrael or the templar once, and regen all its life. After a bit I just left him.

Cipherr

Spent like 500k on some Barb gear for my 60 barb I just hit inferno on. Nothing major, just put together a moderate resist set with good Vit and STR. A middling 650dps weapon with a 400 LOH gem in it and went to start Act 1. Its waaaaaaaay overkill for the time being. Can just stand in the molten and tank everything down. Im enjoying it while it lasts, by Butcher I should actually have to work for it. Going to hold off on buying actual good pieces until Act 2.

Considering benching my DH permanently and switching to Barbarian as my main. Gear check brick walls don't scare me, bad class design for the end game does. I do not want to play 1 shot whack a mole in Inferno forever, fuck that.

To add, the stacks are temporary (lasting only 30 minutes, timer is reset upon defeating another yellow or blue pack), and the stacks go away when you leave a game, change gear, or change skills.

No to that. Can change gear all you want from what I have seen myself. Love that you can too. Swap stuff around frequently to get more defense or more offense for certain bosses and packs.

Life on hit seems like such a risky stat to invest in right now. It seems to me that it is destined to be treated just like the % life steal, and be extremely restricted based on difficulty. Perhaps reduced by 80% in Inferno like % life steal.

They have directly commented on LOH and said they like it as is. Its probably the most safe 'good' stat in the game right now, with IAS being the least safe stat to invest in. They cant keep gutting the decent stats until they are all worthless, LOH will be fine, they say they expect life steal to surpass it once more perfect ilvl 63 items are in the wild and folks put together full sets of it.

Vodh

It's the same thing, it's just tricky because of context. 1 resist gives you as much as 10 armor with the perfect ratio, therefore 1 resist = 10 armor. But when scy was writing about the ideal ratio he wrote about the total values, i.e. you should aim for having the value of resists equal to armor/10. Hope that clarifies things.

Edit: ninja'd I guess, didn't read the refreshed thread carefully lol

Question regarding dual wielding and LOH. I know that DPS is split. So if one hand hit with 500 DPS and another with 400DPS, it's averages to about 450 DPS while alternating between the two. Does this do this with LOH as well? If I have 300 LOH on one weapon and not on another, does it average out to 150? Would I need two 300 LOH weapons to stay the same, or would two 300 LOH weapons actually be 600 LOH.

scy

Question regarding dual wielding and LOH. I know that DPS is split. So if one hand hit with 500 DPS and another with 400DPS, it's averages to about 450 DPS while alternating between the two. Does this do this with LOH as well? If I have 300 LOH on one weapon and not on another, does it average out to 150? Would I need two 300 LOH weapons to stay the same, or would two 300 LOH weapons actually be 600 LOH.

It's kind of ridiculous.

maharg

idspispopd

I think 600? Because it's not life on hit with this item, it's life on every hit.

SyNapSe

liquid rainbow is dumb. I just keep trying every few days but I get bored after an hour or two. just got in the cave but once again.. nope

Kenaras

Belial is 3 stages, the first two stages feature invisible Naga prominently. If you have high enough damage you can clear the 2nd stage before they spawn.

Did you do this before or after the smokescreen nerf? ;)

The first two stages feature fully visible naga prominently; they never go invisible. And I did it after the smokescreen nerf.

1 resist = 10 armor if your current armor equals 10x your current resist.

If your current armor is < 10x your current resist, then 10 armor is better than 1 resist, and if your current armor is > 10x your current resist, then 10 armor is worse than 1 resist.

So, if I'm hearing you out correctly, I have 360 resistance as my lowest and over 7k armor, if I found a piece of armor that had 300 less armor than current but +30 more all resist it would be better?

SyNapSe

So, if I'm hearing you out correctly, I have 360 resistance as my lowest and over 7k armor, if I found a piece of armor that had 300 less armor than current but +30 more all resist it would be better?

Only due to diminishing returns, I think. When either of those stats is far off from 10:1 to the other then you're getting better value (slightly) upping the other since they do essentially the same thing.

Revoh

Can you get a fiery brimstone from salvaging a rare or blue item/weapon? I was sleepy yesterday and started salvaging a lot of stuff and I don't know why but I ended up with a fiery brimstone. I don't know if I picked up a legendary without noticing :/

Svafnir

Can you get a fiery brimstone from salvaging a rare or blue item/weapon? I was sleepy yesterday and started salvaging a lot of stuff and I don't know why but I ended up with a fiery brimstone. I don't know if I picked up a legendary without noticing :/

Any inferno level item.

It's kind of ridiculous.

I think 600? Because it's not life on hit with this item, it's life on every hit.

That's what I wanted to hear.

I'm thinking of dual wielding and dropping Mantra of Heal for mantra of evasion. The boon rune gave me 300 more loh and some constat heal. I want to be hit less though I think.

I don't think I can drop any passives for "Gaurdians Path" at the moment though.

zoukka

I think you get one from an achievement because I got one immediately after some crafting achievements popped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom