• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You have mostly same stats than mine, but slightly worse resist, but your HP is atrocious. You forget that VIT not only gives you HP but also armor.

That being said, you shouldn't be getting murdered by champs, but with 35k HP you definitely won't be able to kill them. I do fine on most champs (I actually do better solo) and as mentioned the only thing I've got on you is about 25k HP, a weapon with 200 additional base dps, and maybe 150 resist.

It could also be your spec I guess

What kind of spec/strategies are you using?

Radec

I'm finally at the point were I can farm gold in Act 1 Inferno quite easily, but it is so much slower than farming Act 1 Hell cause of the fucking mob combinations. Some combinations are so ridiculous it takes me more than 5 minutes to kill and with the repair costs taking away from my profits it's just not worth dealing with them >_<

I'm thinking of farming Act 4 Hell for gold since the Act is so short and my gold find gear is decent enough to speed through it.

Does Act 4 Hell really great for gold farming ?

I still got my gold set and probably would breeze through Hell easily even when equiped.

LordCanti

Just won some OP boots for 1.1m, but I can't get into a game to collect them.

Like 200 dex, 110 vit, and 12% movement.

When they nerf IAS, these will be niccceeeee.

theta11

No, use Mantra of Evasion, Fists of Thunder - Lightning Flash, and raise your dex. You can straight tank using evasion rather than mitigation.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aYXigh!YXU!ZccZYc

is the build I use and I can faceroll Act 2 with stats just a tad higher than yours.

You can even adjust the build a little bit if you want but you want to maximize evasion and healing.

I ran into serious problems playing evasion tank in late Act 3 when certain non-elites can 1 shot me. =/

Fantomex

Seriously this is utterly ridonkulous, server maintenance everyone has 5 mins to get out.

DIABLO 3: You can't play offline or online.

Totakeke

Just won some OP boots for 1.1m, but I can't get into a game to collect them.

Like 200 dex, 110 vit, and 12% movement.

When they nerf IAS, these will be niccceeeee.

I bought something like a 50 dex 14% atk speed 2%crit ring on the AH for like 1mil on the AH and then found that it actually is a downgrade my blue 14-25 dmg 14% atk spd ring I picked off the ground somewhere. Damnit.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hah, friend and I were working on our Barb alts and killed diablo on Nightmare at 10 seconds left till server shutdown. Good times!

LordCanti

I bought something like a 50 dex 14% atk speed 2%crit ring on the AH for like 1mil on the AH and then found that it actually is a downgrade my blue 14-25 dmg 14% atk spd ring I picked off the ground somewhere. Damnit.

Vendors literally sell 70 dex, 15% attack speed rings (for like 10k). You paid 1mil for 2% crit and 1% less IAS lol.

WinFonda

i got disconnected like an hour ago that was separate from everyone else. i got "failed to update tools" when running the launcher. the strange thing is, battle.net website wont load for me... and PSN is down for me too... wtf is going on? is this a regional isp thing?

Shouta

I ran into serious problems playing evasion tank in late Act 3 when certain non-elites can 1 shot me. =/

Yeah, I have a bit of that issue with some elites in Act 3, mostly the Mongrels or whatever, the fat guys with the two maces. The damage factor is far too high in Act 3 to be honest. I really need more resist to lower the incoming damage but it's honestly too high of a requirement because maintain 2000 dex with 700 resists, 35k HP and 28k DPS unbuffed is hard and expensive.

I could do the build a lot of the bnet monks use but it's much slower and just as dangerous, honestly.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Don't forget, that dex is doing more than just damage.

hrm ... I guess I'll go to bed now.

I hope everybody does, I have a couple auctions I'm winning that will finish during/shortly after the maintenance window.

Since servers down, I might as well ask. What pieces of equipment will increase movement speed besides boots? I saw some on Legendary chests and pants, but for rare I only see boots.

thespot84

No, use Mantra of Evasion, Fists of Thunder - Lightning Flash, and raise your dex. You can straight tank using evasion rather than mitigation.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aYXigh!YXU!ZccZYc

is the build I use and I can faceroll Act 2 with stats just a tad higher than yours.

You can even adjust the build a little bit if you want but you want to maximize evasion and healing.

thanks, i'll mess around with it. I have to imagine the resists/armor are more important than dodge, i.e. stick with a shield for now and one with everything instead of dual wielding with the guardian's path for 15% more dodge.

Negator

Shouta

thanks, i'll mess around with it. I have to imagine the resists/armor are more important than dodge, i.e. stick with a shield for now and one with everything instead of dual wielding with the guardian's path for 15% more dodge.

You want to evade as much as possible and mitigate the rest. So OwE and a shield is more insurance than anything. Plus, getting an acceptable shield is easier than getting a second weapon. my shield doesn't have a high block rate (13%) but hey, 150 DEX/VIT and +8% life is hard to pass up.

Anyone know where there's a listing of all the gear that has unique modifiers like say +x% Lightning damage or the like?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm having regrets about selling the bow. One hand i could of used it easily to farm act 4 to sell stuff that dropped. But I don't think I have the farm bug in me anymore.. and chances of stuff dropping good before the market tumbles is slim.. If none of my other gear sells I'll be sad :(

I probably could have sold my 1300 DPS xbow for mad monies earlier. I decided against it, though. I still enjoy killing shit.

Totakeke

Vendors literally sell 70 dex, 15% attack speed rings (for like 10k). You paid 1mil for 2% crit and 1% less IAS lol.

Really? When I checked the AH it was like cheap compared to the other ones. But I guess I was searching for 3 stats. Damn.

Don't forget, that dex is doing more than just damage.

Yeah, it increases dodge... but isn't that it? +dmg also scales with attack speed.

Ketch

Bah... server down again... just hit 58 on my WD. getting close to my first 60.

Been cooping with a Monk friend of mine, we just started the keep in Act 3 hell.

Here's what I'm using now:

WD%20build.png

Pretty great synergy for coop I think. Toad affinity, locusts, and haunt combined with bad medicine and pierce the vale lets me keep up some nasty dots (one of which reduces enemy damage by 20% the other of which returns 10 mana per second) all while spamming 20% extra damage mana free toads.

Like I said works great in coop because there is someone else there for the mobs to be focusing on... when I'm kiting mobs the toads still work, just probably not as well as poison darts.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WkYVPg!beV!acZcZZ

Most people insist that Furious Charge / Dreadnaught is better than Ground Stomp but I will go to my grave disagreeing. Ground Stomp with the increased effect range and vortex rune basically means that 33% of the time most of the battlefield is incapacitated. Not only that, but I get like 20 mobs within Revenge range of me meaning I'm guaranteed a full health bar every Revenge. Champs I think get a reduced duration on the stun but I think it's still 2-3 seconds. if I'm fighting champ I often try to fight them around as many other monsters as possible so that Ground stomp / Revenge gives me a full health bar every time. This doesn't work with enemies that hit like trucks though, such as Swift Skull Cleavers, but is great on archers, the little goblins that spawn from prophets, and lots of other kinds of enemies. Maybe if you like to kite / run away from shit / wait for cooldowns then something like Furious Charge is better, but personally I like to stand there and hold the mouse button down until shit is dead.

Sometimes I change out Threatening Shout for Leap, and on Leap I often flip flop between the armor rune and the Stun rune. I think the armor rune is probably better though. I use it as a normal defensive cooldown every time it's up more often than I use it to actually escape something.

The only champs that give me trouble anymore regardless of affix combination are Icy Quillbacks (easily the most annoying enemy AI in the game, fuck these assholes).

Still, I can't kill everything. Certain combinations will always be impossible. Ones that come to mind are:

* invulnerable minion swift skull cleavers
* Anything with arcane in the bridge stores on the bridge of korsikk
* Desecrator Illusionist (Illusionist is usually a Barbarian's best friend, but when you have desecrator too it's literally impossible to get out of the fire)
* Fire chains are almost always hard. I can manage it sometimes but not others.

Strategy, not much. Soon as I see a champ I just pop WotB and try to burn one down. Run to waypoint / heal at the priest as needed. Micro my guy to get out of desecration / avoid arcane sentries / etc.

make sure your companion is geared. My enchantress does 5k dps which is a huge percentage increase over a barb's normal dps. Speaking of which, what's your dps? Mine is about 19k.

Edit: Oh, also I have about 600 Loh and i get about 2.2 ~ 2.3 attacks per second

Junie12

Noooo the servers are shutting down!

I was about to farm Inferno Pony land ;_;

Fuck I really hope my friend is gonna play tomorrow, I don't want to farm gold anymore ;_;

theta11

Yeah, I have a bit of that issue with some elites in Act 3, mostly the Mongrels or whatever, the fat guys with the two maces. The damage factor is far too high in Act 3 to be honest. I really need more resist to lower the incoming damage but it's honestly too high of a requirement because maintain 2000 dex with 700 resists, 35k HP and 28k DPS unbuffed is hard and expensive.

I could do the build a lot of the bnet monks use but it's much slower and just as dangerous, honestly.

Thats exactly what I was referring to, even normal mongrels can 1 shot me with their quick double mace smash with 40k HP and around 650+ resists. Phasebeasts elites also hit really hard as well. I would really like to upgrade my weapon but it would be hard to replace a weapon with 900 LoH. =/

Shouta

Thats exactly what I was referring to, even normal mongrels can 1 shot me with their quick double mace smash with 40k HP and around 650+ resists. Phasebeasts elites also hit really hard as well. I would really like to upgrade my weapon but it would be hard to replace a weapon with 900 LoH. =/

Bring your DEX up I guess? Hard to replace a 900 LOH weapon but raising your dex should be easier especially since you don't have to gear around it anymore. I have like 800 LoH but it's in my rings/amulets so I gotta work around them.

theta11

Do you guys think Jewelcrafting will be profitable? Just picked up a Perfect Star Ruby recipe, and contemplating using it.

Maybe, but it'll be easier to sell the recipe now and buy it back again later, it's on of those things that will get cheaper over time.

LegoDad

Noooo the servers are shutting down!

I was about to farm Inferno Pony land ;_;

Fuck I really hope my friend is gonna play tomorrow, I don't want to farm gold anymore ;_;

I need to get in on some of these... I would rather run Pony Land over and over again than any other farming.. Plus it has some of the best loot in the game.

LordCanti

Eh, I would use it just because fuck it. There's an achievement for teaching your Jeweler 12 recipes. That's reason enough for me :D

I'd take the 300-500k (depending). Not sure what they're at in current trading.

I need to get in on some of these... I would rather run Pony Land over and over again than any other farming.. Plus it has some of the best loot in the game.

I like it because you can get ponies stuck in a tree and cheese them.

Ponies was kind of a disappointment for me. There's only one resplendent chest, and overall you get very few rares. There's no boss, so you're not even guaranteed a single rare from anything other than the chest.

zon

I'm currently stuck in Act 2 (inf) with my Wiz, I can't get through the sewers to reach the oasis. What the fuck am I supposed to do? I have over 30k dps (with magic weapon) and yet every fucking elite only loses 25% health (if that) before I die. What the hell kind of build do I need to survive? :(

I'm currently stuck in Act 2 (inf) with my Wiz, I can't get through the sewers to reach the oasis. What the fuck am I supposed to do? I have over 30k dps and yet every fucking elite only loses 25% health (if that) before I die. What the hell kind of build do I need to survive? :(

You're not supposed to survive. You're supposed to whittle away 25%, die, come back, whittle away 25% more, and repeat this until it's dead.

sleepykyo

You're not supposed to survive. You're supposed to whittle away 25%, die, come back, whittle away 25% more, and repeat this until it's dead.

I can't tell if you're serious. Didn't they fix it so the elites full heal after 10 secs or inactivity?

edit: I guess he could lead them closer to the check point to deal with the 10 sec timer.

No elites either?

In 1.0.3, didn't Blizz say they were changing it so that 5 stacks means a guaranteed rare off of every elite pack (at the cost of cutting a rare away from boss fights)?

This makes a Skeleton King Run + Whimsyshire Run the best bet for top tier items in 1.0.3, imo. That is if Blizz keeps Whimsyshire an Act IV Equivalent in terms of drops the way it is now.

eek5

There are a lot of ways to approach A3. I think the biggest thing is you want to be able to mitigate some of the harder hits as much as possible. Whether you do this by stunning enemies that burst high damage, using skills like leap/ignore pain/threatening shout to help mitigate the damage, or just plain deal damage from far away with sprint/rltw or weapon throw is really up to you. I think all these approaches have some merit and can certainly work for you.

The second thing with A3 is that you're going to be taking massive amounts of damage. It won't be uncommon for a 50k hp pool to drop 20-30% which means you need ways to quickly heal. Pots are important but you're going to need other ways to heal. Usually this means praying for revenge procs but a big part will be a high LoH stat and skills that scale well to your HP pool (overpower, furious charge, revenge)

Frenzy
  • Sidearm: You lose out on AOE for a lot of barb builds and sidearm is the asnwer to that. It has the potential to do 110% damage to multiple enemies every 4th strike (and you'll be hitting a LOT). It can also hit the same target that you're attacking sometimes.
  • Maniac: This is just a flat 20% increase in damage on a 5 stack of frenzy. I'd only use this if you're using other skills that deal damage since it will increase the damage of those as well. If you aren't then sidearm is superior.

Wrath of the Berserker: This breaks all kinds of CC and is great if your DPS is low so you can focus down champions. You can get by without it but once you use it it's hard to let go.

War Cry w/ Impunity - This one is a given. I'm assuming you're already running it. If you aren't, then start running it.

Ignore Pain
  • Iron Hide: If your DPS is low, I think 7 seconds of 65% DR is better. This basically gives you 7 seconds to use your LoH to heal.
  • Ignorance is Bliss: This is really good in combination with WotB/Earthquake or other skills that deal a large amount of damage in a short amount of time. This really only works well if you're dealing a lot of damage though

Revenge Outside of some niche builds where you use crits to build fury, you'll want to be running Provocation. This is your main heal/aoe attack.

Furious Charge w/ Dreadnaught: This will allow you to move while jailed which might just save your life against jailer + arcane/desecrator. I haven't tried other runes because honestly there is nothing that can compete with regaining 8% of your life for every enemy hit. This skill can be used to escape from large groups as well. Note: I think FC is 100% necessary if you want to do Siegebreaker runs quickly because you can charge into his stomache and sometimes do the entire fight without getting hit once.

Leap w/ Iron Impact: This is good if you're around 9-11k armor since it boosts your armor by 300% for 4 seconds. This will allow you to tank four seconds of hits for the most part. One thing you can do is leap, attack, then use ignore pain for another 7 seconds which leaves you 3 seconds before you can leap again. Leap can be used to escape from large groups or when you're running you can jump over gaps, down or up large ledges to TP safely back to town.

Sprint
  • Run Like the Wind: This is best when used with a cold weapon since it snares everything in its path but it works great for adding on extra DPS if your damage output is low. I personally like it for chipping away at groups when you're backing off. If you have high LoH this can heal you very quickly. It can be used for melee kiting where you back off 4 steps then reengage over and over allowing you to safeley engage 1-4 targets instead of 20. When used with a cold weapon you can use this to sprint away from groups, snaring them behind you, and getting away safely. Note: Sprint combos very well with Furious Charge. If you sprint before charging you'll often leave a tornado right where you stop your charge which means if you charge offensively you'll be setting yourself up to do a ton of damage.
  • Gangway: This is good for knocking people off your path and breaking out of groups.
  • Marathon: Mostly only used if you're farming a specific area or something and want to get there quickly. After having used other runes, I think they're mostly better than Marathon.
  • Rush: I haven't tested this but if it works when sprint (but not running) is active you can gain a 12% dodge chance. Note: you don't proc revenge on dodges.

Ground Stomp / Wrenching Smash
  • This is basically CC and can work well both offensively and defensively. It basically gives you some free hits which can be nice. I think this skill works well if you're undergeared because you can't take damage if everything is stunned. A combo I haven't tried but might work decently is to use ground stomp with sprint/rltw and basically just run away while GS is on cooldown then engage when they're stunned. It is probably one of the safer ways to approach things outside of confusing with weapon throw.

Other skills you should consider but that I haven't really used a lot: Overpower, Threatening Shout

--
This is basically my experience with A3 with sword and board. I've toyed around with 2H and if your DPS is high enough it can work quite well for you. Another option is the crazy crit/WW/sprint build aka double tornado which might work for you but I haven't tried it yet so I can't really comment on it.

LordCanti

I can't tell if you're serious. Didn't they fix it so the elites full heal after 10 secs or inactivity?

edit: I guess he could lead them closer to the check point to deal with the 10 sec timer.

Doesn't matter. Once it gets to the 10s timer, they're healing no matter what.

That is the strategy though; Get em near the WP, hit them as much as you can, WP back to camp (heal), then come back before 10s is up and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom