• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Ya it will be interesting to see how D4 turns out.

Kidding aside, they did address that with TL2 by making it a major upgrade over the first, not just endgame.

Well, saying that is one thing. We'll see how it pans out. People were rather optimistic for Diablo 3 after all :x

I honestly don't have much interest in TL2 so I'll live vicariously through GAF impressions for awhile unless I know enough people going over to warrant me grabbing it.

Darkone

Honestly, you should just use the AH. The stuff you'll find won't even compare to what you can buy for 10-20k each piece. If you're trying to go through the game without using AH then just farm the highest Act you can complete since boss runs aren't worth doing before lvl60.

I will be lvl 60 VERY SOON, i am missing like 20K Exp.

v0mitg0d

I was going to put this in a new thread, but I'm not sure it requires it.

In case you missed it, I interviewed the creator of the Diablo and Torchlight series while I was at E3 and he had some really interesting things to say. It's a very lengthy and in depth interview, but here are some questions

More over here: http://eat-games.tumblr.com

I'm really proud of this one. :)

Ack, new page! :p

Number45

I am getting close to Inferno, started Act 4 on Hell.

Where should i farm for items??
my gear is crappy and i dont want to use the AH at this point.
What class? I went straight to Inferno with my Barb - it's hard, but manageable and you should get some upgrades along the way.

rCIZZLE

Well, saying that is one thing. We'll see how it pans out. People were rather optimistic for Diablo 3 after all :x

I honestly don't have much interest in TL2 so I'll live vicariously through GAF impressions for awhile unless I know enough people going over to warrant me grabbing it.

You can read about what they changed. Unless you think they're lying about that. It's cheap and made by the guys who were the reason D2 is the best hack and slash of all time so it's worth at least reading a bit about.

Blizzard sold D3 on the the franchise name alone. If D3 was the first entry in a new series by someone other than Blizzard I don't think many of us would be here and we definitely wouldn't be on OT4, probably not even OT2.

I will be lvl 60 VERY SOON, i am missing like 20K Exp.

Even then it's not really worth farming hell for gear. The end game kind of does suck so you'll get more out of the game if you don't use the AH but you'll have to do the farming all over again right when you hit inferno.

scy

You can read about what they changed. Unless you think they're lying about that.

Didn't mean for it to sound like that. Just meant that we've all read about changes and other things and seeing how they're executed and actually play out is a lot more important than what was said.

It's cheap and made by the guys who were the reason D2 is the best hack and slash of all time so it's worth at least reading a bit about.

I've been reading up on it. I just don't have much interest in picking it up yet. That's all :x

Blizzard sold D3 on the the franchise name alone. If D3 was the first entry in a new series by someone other than Blizzard I don't think many of us would be here and we definitely wouldn't be on OT4, probably not even OT2.

To be fair, many parts of Diablo 3 that are causing issues are due to the sheer number of people (e.g., AH prices are so low due to millions of people putting up items, server load issues with all of these people).

V_Arnold

Will Torchlight 2 have ladder and at least an AH?
AH is not that necessary, but then let us use some kind of ingame trading interface.

neoism

lol nah you couldn't
the radiant star gem (the highest tier) costs like 10-15 million to make, i forget
well unless you can farm that much in 2-3 hours
And you need the recipes and for the highest tier ones they are a couple million as well

have to say they really need to consider changeing the color of dropped gems to red... Red is not used. I nearly ingore every white I see sometimes its gems..... I hate that they are white......:/

Lothars

You can read about what they changed. Unless you think they're lying about that. It's cheap and made by the guys who were the reason D2 is the best hack and slash of all time so it's worth at least reading a bit about.

Even then it's not really worth farming hell for gear. The end game kind of does suck so you'll get more out of the game if you don't use the AH but you'll have to do the farming all over again right when you hit inferno.
If D3 was a game from someone from blizzard, I don't think it would be anything like it is. I think that D3 is a worthy successor to D2 and will only get better in time just like D2 did.

I am looking forward to Torchlight 2 and I think it will do well but I really doubt it will be better than D3 to me.

I don't really think this is fair. You're saying this game wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't the next entry in a massive series but isn't that kind of obvious? That's how it works with every sequel to every big game ever and I don't really see how you can fault a developer for that.

Anyway, I think D3 sold on a lot more than its name. It isn't a perfect game and it might not satisfy everyone but I honestly think it's a pretty fantastic game, and that has nothing to do with the fact that it's called D3. I never played a Diablo game before D3 and I've never purchased a Blizzard game, so isn't it kind of strange that I picked this one up and I'm loving it? To me that really says something about the quality of the product.

scy

have to say they really need to consider changeing the color of dropped gems to red... Red is not used. I nearly ingore every white I see sometimes its gems..... I hate that they are white......:/

They have plans on changing them.

I imagine they'll just be blue, however, rather than a new color. We'll see though.

rCIZZLE

To be fair, many parts of Diablo 3 that are causing issues are due to the sheer number of people (e.g., AH prices are so low due to millions of people putting up items, server load issues with all of these people).

Eh, that's just a couple of many lol. Annoying mods, tiny chat text, lvl30-60 being a complete grind with no reward, withholding pvp indefinitely, class imbalances, poor endgame, no lobbies, and no waypointing between acts are a few of my complaints. I know D3 is a new game but there is no good reason for some of the changes from D2.

DryvBy

So, I was trying to link a weapon and this happened. Any idea how to fix that and why this is happening? I can't link this weapon at all in text and if memory serves right, I can't sell it on AH either due to an error.

rCIZZLE

Didn't help Torchlight 1 ...

??? It was a good game from a small team. You know not everybody has the money to make their full vision come to life right away.

If D3 was a game from someone from blizzard, I don't think it would be anything like it is. I think that D3 is a worthy successor to D2 and will only get better in time just like D2 did.

I am looking forward to Torchlight 2 and I think it will do well but I really doubt it will be better than D3 to me.

Well, they took some steps backwards when looking at features. Hopefully they'll try to remember why the previous game has a 12 year+ dedicated community and do some work for the expansions. Doesn't look good for the short term though when they're talking about nerfing the end game.

I don't really think this is fair. You're saying this game wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't the next entry in a massive series but isn't that kind of obvious? That's how it works with every sequel to every big game ever and I don't really see how you can fault a developer for that.

Anyway, I think D3 sold on a lot more than its name. It isn't a perfect game and it might not satisfy everyone but I honestly think it's a pretty fantastic game, and that has nothing to do with the fact that it's called D3. I never played a Diablo game before D3 and I've never purchased a Blizzard game, so isn't it kind of strange that I picked this one up and I'm loving it? To me that really says something about the quality of the product.

I'm saying I don't think it's a game that's worth as much hype as it's been getting. It's a step down in the series. A little more research in the genre would have gone a long way to making it a more rewarding experience. There's a reason everybody wanted inferno nerfed since almost all of the gear you get before that is worthless in the AH. It's discouraging knowing the best wep you find has half the dps of stuff that sells for a few thousand gold.

Most people are still on the hype train for this game. That's going to die down soon though. Can you see yourself playing this for months or even years? I really can't for myself. Especially if there's not a steady stream of new content.

MotherFan

so uh.. is anyone getting less gold since the server went back up? I was farming for an hour or so before it went down (Act 1 Inf.) and I'd routinely get between 300-1600g piles (Dank Cellar/Well/mobs around it) and now I'm seeing ............16g-350g piles mostly.... which is really sad considering I'm at 218% GF without NV stacks.

Was wondering if this is true since I am not hope to test. is anyone else experiencing this?

scy

There's a reason everybody wanted inferno nerfed since almost all of the gear you get before that is worthless in the AH. It's discouraging knowing the best wep you find has half the dps of stuff that sells for a few thousand gold.

Their intent was that Inferno progress actually gave a sense of progression. It kind of makes sense for tiered drops. The fact you're not restricted to those drops from your tier was a bit of a bad call (there's really no market for ilvl 61 weapons). Normal - Hell stuff being worthless is much the same as higher ilvl stuff is still usable at lower character levels which makes the best options for every slot to be things from later in the game. But, you also don't need any AHing to get through to Inferno.

Edit: Which makes me wonder, would people have been dead set against the AH being Inferno only? Makes those lower level Legendaries a bit harder to find someone who wants it (then again, it's hard enough as is just due to how bad many of them are).

And Inferno isn't even that bad. People just want to progress through it faster than Blizzard wanted people to. We were told months to progress and were fine with it. Then we played and decided two weeks is okay. But I suppose I'm in the minority in regards to thinking this.

Like I said, I'll keep an eye on Torchlight 2 but since I don't personally know anyone I play with that is jumping ship, I don't want to jump ship to solo play it :x That's all.

rCIZZLE

How big was pvp in D2?

I think they don't want you to take your five stacks of NV from Act 1 to Diablo.

Pvp was huge, as has already been said.

NV shouldn't give you guaranteed drops for boss kills. That's part of why 30-60 is a rewardless grind. Making it just give the MF bonus wouldn't change how people played that much. Some would prefer to clear areas and some would just go for the bosses. Plus they'd have no reason to make us quit, quest select, and start a new game adding unneeded stress on the servers.

??? It was a good game from a small team. You know not everybody has the money to make their full vision come to life right away.

Notsureifserious.jpg

It was so good i had to play it in sessions of 20-30 minutes to not die from bordom and after finishing story with one character i never touched it again.

I'm saying I don't think it's a game that's worth as much hype as it's been getting. It's a step down in the series. A little more research in the genre would have gone a long way to making it a more rewarding experience. There's a reason everybody wanted inferno nerfed since almost all of the gear you get before that is worthless in the AH. It's discouraging knowing the best wep you find has half the dps of stuff that sells for a few thousand gold.

Most people are still on the hype train for this game. That's going to die down soon though. Can you see yourself playing this for months or even years? I really can't for myself. Especially if there's not a steady stream of new content.
I understand what you're saying but I think it's just hard for me to relate since I'm not a long time Diablo fan. I didn't approach this game with the mind-set of "if this isn't good enough to keep me occupied for 10+ years then it has failed." What I have right now is a game that I've played for about 100 hours and found to be very enjoyable so it's just hard for me to find reasons to complain about it. This game has already met and exceeded my expectations.

The other issue is that you and I both know D3 is not a static product. You might be disappointed with how the game launched and with some of the decisions that were made (and I won't blame you for that since I don't have the experience with the genre that you do) but this game isn't going to be the same even a few weeks from now. If there's one thing I've picked up on from the sidelines when it comes to Blizzard it's that they don't stop supporting their games, and it just seems a little crazy to me to give up on the game so quickly after its release when you know plenty of changes and additions will be made.

You say that the game is getting more hype than it deserves, I say it's getting more hate than it deserves. I think the difference is in our expectations going in, but hopefully Blizzard will be able to make some changes that make the game more complete and enjoyable for you over the long term.

LordCanti

I bought a pair of boots for 1m. The current bid on them is $15 in the RMAH. Gold should never hit 15/m sooo...

I love capitalism. So much. Unless it's fucking me.

Rufus

Capitalism is the best thing ever when you have capital.

Notsureifserious.jpg

It was so good i had to play it in sessions of 20-30 minutes to not die from bordom and after finishing story with one character i never touched it again.
Same, but I made the mistake of starting on normal. Enchanting weapons was fun though.

scy

I bought a pair of boots for 1m. The current bid on them is $15 in the RMAH. Gold should never hit 15/m sooo...

I love capitalism. So much. Unless it's fucking me.

I wonder what prices will do when Gold is finally allowed to be put up on the RMAH. My gut says one thing but scenarios like this make me wonder how many people are actually checking Gold AH vs RMAH.

tjohn86

NV shouldn't give you guaranteed drops for boss kills. That's part of why 30-60 is a rewardless grind. Making it just give the MF bonus wouldn't change how people played that much. Some would prefer to clear areas and some would just go for the bosses. Plus they'd have no reason to make us quit, quest select, and start a new game adding unneeded stress on the servers.

What the fuck. This is madness. We need more drops not less.

maharg

idspispopd
I wonder what prices will do when Gold is finally allowed to be put up on the RMAH. My gut says one thing but scenarios like this make me wonder how many people are actually checking Gold AH vs RMAH.

Once you can convert gold to cash it won't matter if everyone is, people who like to flip stuff will find inefficiencies and it will balance out.

MotherFan

In D2 to get the best loot, you just did boss after boss. Depending on what you wanted affected what boss you did, but it was rinse and repeat. Or, if you were rune hunting you went to do chest farming in act 3. No one hunted elites in D2 because the loot table for them did not make it worth it.

NV is one of the best things they did in this game. It makes it so it is not Mephisto run 108667 that takes 3 min for me to tele down to. The boss bonus makes it so killing a boss is something that is worthwhile, so that is good. The MF makes it so killing elites is even better, which is good.

You get rid of NV boss bonus and there is little reason to kill a boss. If you return bosses to the way they were in D2, it becomes boss grind fever again. And with the waypoints they have now it is even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom