• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

I wonder what prices will do when Gold is finally allowed to be put up on the RMAH. My gut says one thing but scenarios like this make me wonder how many people are actually checking Gold AH vs RMAH.

To be fair, these boots probably would have done 3m or so in the AH. I bought them off another forum/traded in game (which is how I got them so cheap).

Even at 3m, $15 is a good price to get for them (I have doubts that gold will hit 5/m). I just put them up, so with any luck they'll hit their buyout. They really are OP boots for a DH once IAS is nerfed (like 200 dex, 100 vit, 12% movement, etc).

Flipping items from the AH to the RMAH is where the money is right now, unless you've got ungodly luck and can actually get decent drops. Not having a gold price per $ to compare to makes it the wild west in terms of what things can go for.

Almost every item from <Inferno is worthless. Where is my SoJ or Hoz? Items that were found somewhat early and still desired due to unique properties. Same with stuff like magefists, frostburns, hotspurs from normal. Legendaries now are so rare you're unlikely to see more than 1 if any at all before you hit 60. How many of the ones that drop earlier in the game are even useful at all late game?

I think Boj Anglers, Lacuni Prowlers and a few other legendaries are sub-60, and still valuable.

I think a 30+% Stormshield is the new SOJ.

Well, the game just paid for itself. OK, Blizzard, I guess you're alright.

I demand a "This game just paid for itself?!" achievement.

rCIZZLE

Their intent was that Inferno progress actually gave a sense of progression. It kind of makes sense for tiered drops. The fact you're not restricted to those drops from your tier was a bit of a bad call (there's really no market for ilvl 61 weapons). Normal - Hell stuff being worthless is much the same as higher ilvl stuff is still usable at lower character levels which makes the best options for every slot to be things from later in the game. But, you also don't need any AHing to get through to Inferno.

Edit: Which makes me wonder, would people have been dead set against the AH being Inferno only? Makes those lower level Legendaries a bit harder to find someone who wants it (then again, it's hard enough as is just due to how bad many of them are).

And Inferno isn't even that bad. People just want to progress through it faster than Blizzard wanted people to. We were told months to progress and were fine with it. Then we played and decided two weeks is okay. But I suppose I'm in the minority in regards to thinking this.

Like I said, I'll keep an eye on Torchlight 2 but since I don't personally know anyone I play with that is jumping ship, I don't want to jump ship to solo play it :x That's all.

Almost every item from <Inferno is worthless. Where is my SoJ or Hoz? Items that were found somewhat early and still desired due to unique properties. Same with stuff like magefists, frostburns, hotspurs from normal. Legendaries now are so rare you're unlikely to see more than 1 if any at all before you hit 60. How many of the ones that drop earlier in the game are even useful at all late game?

scy

What the fuck. This is madness. We need more drops not less.

I think it's more that "why do anything for gear pre-60." And, honestly, I had the exact same mentality for D2 so eh? Maybe I was playing that game wrong.

Flipping items from the AH to the RMAH is where the money is right now, unless you've got ungodly luck and can actually get decent drops. Not having a gold price per $ to compare to makes it the wild west in terms of what things can go for.

I suppose. As lucrative as it may be, I'll just avoid it. I'm also notoriously bad at playing the market anyway :(

SoJ is an Inferno drop and is a pretty good Ring option with +Damage%, +Damage% to Elites, +Resource (for the classes that are limited to it), and then a random affix (should be two personally but hey).

There's a few useful Legendaries from pre-Inferno but it's due to oddities (Boj Anglers, Lacuni Prowlers). I think Blizzard was trying to avoid the whole issue of people at 60 using low level loot. I'd say they did that a bit too well; there should be some items who are just that much better than everything else at their level and beyond. Maybe not "good enough for 60!" but that should equalize itself out with other gearing requirements that force you to drop them.

I think it comes down to would you like having Legendaries that are the de facto best options for slots or not. I'd rather Legendaries not be that. Unfortunately, Blizzard went a bit too far and they're almost all rather useless (barring a few exceptions, though every Weapon is shit).

DTKT

Pvp was huge, as has already been said.

NV shouldn't give you guaranteed drops for boss kills. That's part of why 30-60 is a rewardless grind. Making it just give the MF bonus wouldn't change how people played that much. Some would prefer to clear areas and some would just go for the bosses. Plus they'd have no reason to make us quit, quest select, and start a new game adding unneeded stress on the servers.

wtf.

The game is bad on loot already, you want to make it harder to get stuff? I think that MF was a bad idea all along. It forces player into finding MF gear

rCIZZLE

What the fuck. This is madness. We need more drops not less.

Then make them drop more like with goblins. Make MF matter a lot more. I got blues from every boss in nightmare in hell. Every single one. They made NV matter wayyy too much.

In D2 to get the best loot, you just did boss after boss. Depending on what you wanted affected what boss you did, but it was rinse and repeat. Or, if you were rune hunting you went to do chest farming in act 3. No one hunted elites in D2 because the loot table for them did not make it worth it.

NV is one of the best things they did in this game. It makes it so it is not Mephisto run 108667 that takes 3 min for me to tele down to. The boss bonus makes it so killing a boss is something that is worthwhile, so that is good. The MF makes it so killing elites is even better, which is good.

You get rid of NV boss bonus and there is little reason to kill a boss. If you return bosses to the way they were in D2, it becomes boss grind fever again. And with the waypoints they have now it is even worse.

Not always. There were areas that dropped better gear than bosses. Pit runs were easy and could drop stuff that couldn't even be found on Meph runs, for example. There were a lot of areas and small bosses you could clear to keep the game fresh. When people cleared areas they were doing so specifically for elites and their high drop tables.

With NV they punish you for not following their system and killing a boss. Even if I have so much MF that the 75% on paper bonus shouldn't matter as much, I still need to do that to get yellows. That's bullshit.

Like it or not, clearing areas is going to get repetitive. Are you going to do butcher run 126445 at 15 minutes a piece for very long? It's still "boss grind fever" but now runs take longer.

LordCanti

I suppose. As lucrative as it may be, I'll just avoid it. I'm also notoriously bad at playing the market anyway :(

SoJ is an Inferno drop and is a pretty good Ring option with +Damage%, +Damage% to Elites, +Resource (for the classes that are limited to it), and then a random affix (should be two personally but hey).

I'm being very careful not to blow all my gold on stuff that I can't sell. It's tempting though. The boots were a no brainer (selling for 1m, worth 3m, I couldn't have gone wrong).

Also...how did I not know SoJ's were in this game?

KooPaL

Hi everyone. I am currently now progressing through Act 2 and boy does switching passives help a lot. Before with my current build and gear I was definitely getting wrecked but when I switched up two of my offensive passives to defensive ones (nerve of steel since I have higher vitality stats) and superstition it became finally doable.

Quick question, are there any Barbs reliably farming Act 3 - 4 Inferno? And are they efficient farmers or should I roll a much more reliable farmer. I think that the Barb has the potential to be the best farmer especially during Siegebreaker where if you are using a variant of the sprintnado plus crit berserker rune could make it a quick work from going to one end to another with full NV.

Got my second (shitty) legendary at Whimsyshire. I kind of like farming there.

Plus a set item and a legendary dropped in that level yesterday too.

So I logged in this morning and all of the sudden everything is choppy as fuck, as in my framerate is like 1-2fps. The game used to run at 60fps no problem and I didn't change any settings on my PC, what gives?

So I logged in this morning and all of the sudden everything is choppy as fuck, as in my framerate is like 1-2fps. The game used to run at 60fps no problem and I didn't change any settings on my PC, what gives?

That happened to me yesterday. Turns out I had to restart my computer to install windows' updates.

rCIZZLE

There's a few useful Legendaries from pre-Inferno but it's due to oddities (Boj Anglers, Lacuni Prowlers). I think Blizzard was trying to avoid the whole issue of people at 60 using low level loot. I'd say they did that a bit too well; there should be some items who are just that much better than everything else at their level and beyond. Maybe not "good enough for 60!" but that should equalize itself out with other gearing requirements that force you to drop them.

I think it comes down to would you like having Legendaries that are the de facto best options for slots or not. I'd rather Legendaries not be that. Unfortunately, Blizzard went a bit too far and they're almost all rather useless (barring a few exceptions, though every Weapon is shit).

Yes, SoJ is an inferno drop. Why not earlier?

Lol why is that even an issue? The whole point of legendaries should be to offer unique attributes that make them particularly useful in some circumstances. Seriously, why don't we have "cannot be frozen" as a mod featured on a couple legendaries. Legendaries were rarely if ever the best for their slot for all builds that could use them.

wtf.

The game is bad on loot already, you want to make it harder to get stuff? I think that MF was a bad idea all along. It forces player into finding MF gear

I'm not saying they should nerf drops. Never said that anywhere in any of my posts. I'm saying NV shouldn't decide whether you get ALL blues or blues and some yellows. 5 stacks guarantees you 2 yellows from a boss right now. They should make the drops random with people able to get yellows without any NV or MF with potentially more yellows if they have stacks and raw MF.

Well, that's kind of the point of MF gear. Makes you decide if you want to sacrifice a useful combat mod for better rewards.

scy

Then make them drop more like with goblins. Make MF matter a lot more. I got blues from every boss in nightmare in hell. Every single one. They made NV matter wayyy too much.

They're fixing this. They had some rationale for why they had it the way they did but, honestly, it didn't make that much sense.

With NV they punish you for not following their system and killing a boss. Even if I have so much MF that the 75% on paper bonus shouldn't matter as much, I still need to do that to get yellows. That's bullshit.

That's not how it works? NV just gives you an extra guaranteed drop (two for bosses, one for bosses and all elites come patch). You get Rares without NV. I get ~four per Butcher kill and only two of them are from the guaranteed NV. Same for Warden, actually.

Like it or not, clearing areas is going to get repetitive. Are you going to do butcher run 126445 at 15 minutes a piece for very long? It's still "boss grind fever" but now runs take longer.

The goal is that you actually play the game instead of hopping in and out of games for boss kills only. I'm perfectly fine with this idea.

TP

My luck with legendaries has been great today. I've found three so far during butcher runs, two in the same game.

http://i.imgur.com/CfBsZ.jpg

They're bad but the reactions in my group were great.

Edit: gave the sword to my enchantress for an extra 5% magic find

LordCanti

Got my second (shitty) legendary at Whimsyshire. I kind of like farming there.

Plus a set item and a legendary dropped in that level yesterday too.

I need to get into more Pony games. With the cheesable Pony Champs, the loot isn't horrible.

Is there any way to craft the Inferno Whimsyshire staff without having finished act 3?

You can get the plans from a friends Act 4 game. Whether it will let you craft it or not, I have no idea.

forrest

formerly nacire
So I had an Inna's Blessing up on the RMAH with great stats for the past day and now it's gone. No record of it being on the AH and it's not in my inventory or stash. WTF?

LLShC.gif

***Nevermind, it looks like the current auctions page just needed time to load properly.

DTKT

So I had an Inna's Blessing up on the RMAH with great stats for the past day and now it's gone. No record of it being on the AH and it's not in my inventory or stash. WTF?

LLShC.gif

***Nevermind, it looks like the current auctions page just needed time to load properly.

AH lagged out for a few minutes. I could not see my auction in both the gold and USD parts. It's okay now.

I need to get into more Pony games. With the cheesable Pony Champs, the loot isn't horrible.

You can get the plans from a friends Act 4 game. Whether it will let you craft it or not, I have no idea.

just pm me if you want to, I dont mind.

Anyway, the best thing I've learnt the past few days? Pausing via the options screen also pauses the NV timer. God bless.

scy

Yes, SoJ is an inferno drop. Why not earlier?

Because it's good? There's other good low level Rings (Unity, Puzzle Ring). I guess they should have made SoJ a low level item that won't be as commonly farmed (due to how ilvl and drops function)?

Lol why is that even an issue? The whole point of legendaries should be to offer unique attributes that make them particularly useful in some circumstances.

And maybe they'll do that come revision. I agree that they went too far but I'd rather not be at Level 60 doing Inferno with my Legendary Pants because it has something that cannot be replicated anywhere else and is a de facto mainstay that gets built around.

Seriously, why don't we have "cannot be frozen" as a mod featured on a couple legendaries. Legendaries were rarely if ever the best for their slot for all builds that could use them.

I imagine that's the point of the CC Reduction mod. And just manually dodging getting frozen rather than gearing it.

Edit: Rather, that "getting frozen" in Diablo 2 was a lot more common than in Diablo 3. D3 cold damage is almost entirely left up to one monster affix. Global CC Reduction as a mod for multiple slots is ultimately a more useful affix than "Cannot be frozen." Personally, anyway.

They should make the drops random with people able to get yellows without any NV or MF with potentially more yellows if they have stacks and raw MF.

I'd like to note that this is exactly how it works right now. Well, barring MF giving you more drops. That is NV only.

rCIZZLE

They're fixing this. They had some rationale for why they had it the way they did but, honestly, it didn't make that much sense.

That's not how it works? NV just gives you an extra guaranteed drop (two for bosses, one for bosses and all elites come patch). You get Rares without NV. I get ~four per Butcher kill and only two of them are from the guaranteed NV. Same for Warden, actually.

The goal is that you actually play the game instead of hopping in and out of games for boss kills only. I'm perfectly fine with this idea.

Did they say they were fixing exactly that? I heard they were lowering guaranteed rares with 5 stacks from 2 to 1 or making the higher tiered stuff available at earlier points. Nothing about boss drops with no stacks though.

I know very few people who got a rare from a boss after normal without NV stacks. Never happened with me or the 3 other people from my group when we played through nightmare and hell. The only time anybody got a rare was during the 50 or so azmodan runs we had to do to rush ourselves to 60. And that was one person. "% better chance of finding magic items" doesn't really apply when the chances are very very low. Not saying you're wrong but I get a funny feeling NV may be responsible for more than the 2 guaranteed rares.

Boss kills were very much playing the game. You're still going to find more efficient runs (you already mentioned Warden -> Butcher which is a very small section of Act 1). Like I said earlier, if you were around for D2 you'd know people did play through different parts of the game. Pit runs drop tables were better than the one for Meph.

LordCanti

just pm me if you want to, I dont mind.

Anyway, the best thing I've learnt the past few days? Pausing via the options screen also pauses the NV timer. God bless.

Don't stay gone too long though, or it will disconnect you :p Learned that the hard way.

I'll be up for ponies later if you're still on. I won't be around the house very long this morning though, so I can't ATM. Thanks for the offer though.

eek5

Don't stay gone too long though, or it will disconnect you :p Learned that the hard way.

I'll be up for ponies later if you're still on. I won't be around the house very long this morning though, so I can't ATM. Thanks for the offer though.

I believe you can pause for 15 min before D/C

scy

Did they say they were fixing exactly that? I heard they were lowering guaranteed rares with 5 stacks from 2 to 1 or making the higher tiered stuff available at earlier points. Nothing about boss drops with no stacks though.

From the Reddit AMA:

Question: Why don't bosses guarantee decent drops on your first kill in Nightmare or Hell? This leaves 30-60 feeing VERY dull and boring because you're not getting your loot fix. It's not a question of how do I gear up, but a statement in that beating a boss that drops two bad blues is very disheartening and is a very NEGATIVE reinforcement for continued play.

Answer: (Jay): This was my decision, and I'll start by saying that Wyatt and Andrew have talked me out of it. In a future patch (not 1.0.3) we'll add this.

But so you know my reasoning I think this just moves the problem. Design intent is that at end-game we want you to stack NV and 'then' kill bosses to make farming loot more interesting. To facilitate this bosses have to stop dropping tons of rares 'at some point'.

My worry was that if it was at Inferno everyone would be like 'WTF why Inferno hardest difficulty with worst loot!?!??!' instead of the current complaint.

The reason I've decided my decision was wrong is the gap that exists between Normal first time drops and the NV farming of Inferno.

I know very few people who got a rare from a boss after normal without NV stacks. Never happened with me or the 3 other people from my group when we played through nightmare and hell. The only time anybody got a rare was during the 50 or so azmodan runs we had to do to rush ourselves to 60. And that was one person. "% better chance of finding magic items" doesn't really apply when the chances are very very low. Not saying you're wrong but I get a funny feeling NV may be responsible for more than the 2 guaranteed rares.

At 200% MF, I get them relatively commonly even without NV. It's hard to gauge unless I'm doing straight boss runs (which I almost never do) but I can try some 0 NV Siegebreaker or something quick. Maybe it is NV itself doing it but all it should be doing is the extra guaranteed rare drop. And the +75% MF.

Boss kills were very much playing the game. You're still going to find more efficient runs (you already mentioned Warden -> Butcher which is a very small section of Act 1). Like I said earlier, if you were around for D2 you'd know people did play through different parts of the game. Pit runs drop tables were better than the one for Meph.

I do Warden -> Butcher because I want a quick run (e.g., play for an hour or so); I'll be doing SK -> Butcher post-patch for the higher elite count.

rCIZZLE

Because it's good? There's other good low level Rings (Unity, Puzzle Ring). I guess they should have made SoJ a low level item that won't be as commonly farmed (due to how ilvl and drops function)?

And maybe they'll do that come revision. I agree that they went too far but I'd rather not be at Level 60 doing Inferno with my Legendary Pants because it has something that cannot be replicated anywhere else and is a de facto mainstay that gets built around.

I imagine that's the point of the CC Reduction mod. And just manually dodging getting frozen rather than gearing it.

Edit: Rather, that "getting frozen" in Diablo 2 was a lot more common than in Diablo 3. D3 cold damage is almost entirely left up to one monster affix. Global CC Reduction as a mod for multiple slots is ultimately a more useful affix than "Cannot be frozen." Personally, anyway.

I'd like to note that this is exactly how it works right now. Well, barring MF giving you more drops. That is NV only.

D2 soj was good and having it as a nightmare drop didn't break the game. I don't understand what you're (kind of) asking here.

The fact that they didn't make legendaries very legendary from the start is a little disturbing. Did you have a problem with magefists or hoz or any of the lower level gear that was commonly used end game?

Gearing for it would have been a fun way to change things up. It would give some fun to the loot instead of making it just like rares with maybe one or two constant mods.

Still, "cannot be frozen" would be useful on a random belt than practically every legendary weapon.

rCIZZLE

From the Reddit AMA:

At 200% MF, I get them relatively commonly even without NV. It's hard to gauge unless I'm doing straight boss runs (which I almost never do) but I can try some 0 NV Siegebreaker or something quick. Maybe it is NV itself doing it but all it should be doing is the extra guaranteed rare drop. And the +75% MF.

I do Warden -> Butcher because I want a quick run (e.g., play for an hour or so); I'll be doing SK -> Butcher post-patch for the higher elite count.

Can you give me the cliffnotes version of what he said? I'm not following exactly what he's getting at.

You should have a chance at rares at 0 MF. Killing bosses should have some kind of reward attached. I'm not bullshitting in the slightest about our hell azmo runs to 60. 50 runs x 4 people = 200 piles of drops. 1 rare in 200 piles.

edit: I want to add that things like charms, jewels, and runes would push people towards clearing areas of the game instead of simply boss killing.

LordCanti

No one on the RMAH wanted my Barb MF Helm ;_;

uQdjn.jpg

Are these good for an Inferno Monk?

Dex goes up into the 200's, as does vit (I think).

If a monk was stacking Arcane, I guess he might consider them. The level requirement reduction might make them worth more than they would be otherwise.

scy

D2 soj was good and having it as a nightmare drop didn't break the game. I don't understand what you're (kind of) asking here.

SoJ was farmed by Gambling, not so much item drops. What I'm getting at is that, due to how Diablo 3 drops function, would you rather have SoJ at a lower level for earlier use but harder to acquire in the long run. I'd rather have it at 60 so I see more of them while farming as opposed to having to farm Level ~40 content like I would for a good Unity.

Edit: Unless SoJ was farmed by drops, in which case point and laugh at me for not knowing this :x

The fact that they didn't make legendaries very legendary from the start is a little disturbing. Did you have a problem with magefists or hoz or any of the lower level gear that was commonly used end game?

Kind of did, yeah. I may be in the minority on that, though, I suppose.

Gearing for it would have been a fun way to change things up. It would give some fun to the loot instead of making it just like rares with maybe one or two constant mods.

Still, "cannot be frozen" would be useful on a random belt than practically every legendary weapon.

Oh no, I do agree that, in general, Legendaries and Sets need to be improved. Their baseline is too low and their ceilings practically don't exist. Many are too weak for their rarity which essentially removes them as a possible drop. There are exceptions (basically all the Rings, Amulets, some Armor) but it's not exactly the greatest of scenarios.

Can you give me the cliffnotes version of what he said? I'm not following exactly what he's getting at.

It was a design idea that bosses need to eventually not drop guaranteed Rares and it made the most sense, to Jay, to stop it at Nightmare rather than Inferno. Come a later patch (not 1.0.3), Nightmare and Hell will have guaranteed rare drops. I think Inferno will still require NV for guaranteed rares.

You should have a chance at rares at 0 MF. Killing bosses should have some kind of reward attached. I'm not bullshitting in the slightest about our hell azmo runs to 60. 50 runs x 4 people = 200 piles of drops. 1 rare in 200 piles.

You do. I did a lot of runs as well just for the Gold Find and I'd get a rare a kill even with non-5 stack NV.

Edit: To clarify, GF% runs when I was doing just the run to Azmodan. I think my MF% in that set, at the time, was around 80%.

I want to add that things like charms, jewels, and runes would push people towards clearing areas of the game instead of simply boss killing.

Inventory tetris :(

I do think more stuff for sockets wouldn't be a terrible idea though. Just depends on how they end up working out.

no. but you might be able to sell them to a level 54 monk or dh still in Hell. or a brainless someone on the RMAH.

that bad? :(

Dex goes up into the 200's, as does vit (I think).

If a monk was stacking Arcane, I guess he might consider them. The level requirement reduction might make them worth more than they would be otherwise.

yeah I thought a Monk rocking the OwE passive would greatly benefit for it,
bah I don't know how to differentiate a good item from a bad one

rCIZZLE

SoJ was farmed by Gambling, not so much item drops. What I'm getting at is that, due to how Diablo 3 drops function, would you rather have SoJ at a lower level for earlier use but harder to acquire in the long run. I'd rather have it at 60 so I see more of them while farming as opposed to having to farm Level ~40 content like I would for a good Unity.

Kind of did, yeah. I may be in the minority on that, though, I suppose.

Oh no, I do agree that, in general, Legendaries and Sets need to be improved. Their baseline is too low and their ceilings practically don't exist. Mare are too weak for their rarity which essentially removes them as a possible drop. There are exceptions (basically all the Rings, Amulets, some Armor) but it's not exactly the greatest of scenarios.

It was farmed from NM Andy mostly. Gambling wasn't a very reliable way. NM Meph had the bonus of dropping a lot of Hell viable equipment like hoz, vipermagi, soj, occy, and other things. Not all of those were the best, just stuff that had a little worth and were viable to use in end game.

You could also find those items in Hell Meph so I don't know what you mean by not seeing them later on. They didn't only drop in nightmare or from a certain area.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It was farmed from NM Andy mostly. Gambling wasn't a very reliable way. NM Meph had the bonus of dropping a lot of Hell viable equipment like hoz, vipermagi, soj, occy, and other things. Not all of those were the best, just stuff that had a little worth and were viable to use in end game.

You could also find those items in Hell Meph so I don't know what you mean by not seeing them later on. They didn't only drop in nightmare or from a certain area.

Gambling and duping were absolutely the ways SOJs made it into the game. It all happened early on when if you had a manald and nagel in inventory, any unique ring would be an SOJ. Gambling for it was the easiest way to get it, and it is what turned it into the currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom