• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

You're not tax-exempt below a certain yearly income?

What does it not being a competitive game have to do with this? He is exploiting a game to make money...no it doesn't effect me. Just seems really shady to me.

Really an odd thing to defend if you ask me.
Not really. Now with the RMAH, it's no more shady than that. He's making money, while the rest of us are on the treadmill for free. The latter has changed with the RMAH, but still... The botters can actually count on a certain rate of return. It'll change, but it's not based on random drops.

LordCanti

No income besides D3?

I'm a full time uni student. D3 is my "summer job".

Well, it is now that people have actually bought my stuff on the RMAH. It was my "Summer waste of time" before that.

Is there way to make macro's in this game? Mainly trying to do gear changes while kiting.

Of course there is. Go to one of the bot forums, I'm sure they have a ton.

?

Yes. I've seen youtube videos of them in action. I'm really tempted, but I don't want to get B&.

UberTag

So does the Auction House not really become viable until you've made it to the later difficulties of the game? As in, I'm not going to find anything on Normal that's even worth trying to sell? It's all still new to me.
I've been readily employing the Auction House since Act II Normal and it's been a constant revenue stream for me due to buying well-rolled rings/amulets off of vendors and reselling them for anywhere from 200-400% markup.

I put up the occasional well-rolled rare item drop (and the Legendary gods have smiled on me about 5 times now) but mainly I make my gold from rings/amulets and then re-selling earlier AH gear that I've upgraded or bought out because it was priced ludicrously and I wanted my items to move.

There are plenty of ways to abuse the Auction House early on. I think a lot of people have ignored it pre-Level 60 because they threw up a bunch of garbage rares that never moved and simply got discouraged.

Shady? Exploiting a game to make money? That's the whole point of Diablo 3 if you haven't noticed. Blizzard, Paypal, anyone who puts stuff on RMAH, botters, 3rd party gold sellers. All them are making profit by "exploiting" this game.

You're not tax-exempt below a certain yearly income?

Not really. Now with the RMAH, it's no more shady than that. He's making money, while the rest of us are on the treadmill for free. The latter has changed with the RMAH, but still... The botters can actually count on a certain rate of return. It'll change, but it's not based on random drops.

So would you guys feel the same if someone found a item dupe exploit and just put up a bunch of items he/she duped? I am just honestly curious now how I am one of the few who finds this practice fucked up...

UberTag

Is it really worth leveling up the Blacksmith? Been getting quite a few rare plans today.
If you don't want to upgrade your Blacksmith you can always sell those in the Auction House as a commodity. They go for a pretty penny.
Probably the smart approach to take to if you've found plans for gear your main character can't equip and you're not planning on playing as a different class.

LordCanti

So would you guys feel the same if someone found a item dupe exploit and just put up a bunch of items he/she duped? I am just honestly curious now how I am one of the few who finds this practice fucked up...

You aren't alone. I think it's screwy, but I also recognize that it's been going on since MMO's were invented.

Also that people eat with the money they make off a video game. Probably not a whole lot of people in this country, but overseas surely. How do you get angry at that?

If anything, I'm kind of angry at Blizzard for leaving so many easily farmed spots open for so long.

Again, that's different. First of all it's a bug, that IS an exploit. Second, it devalues the economy which hurts everyone involved other than the single person who found it (assuming it doesn't spread past this person).

Botting inflated gold prices (on items) to the point where no one (but other bot users) could really afford the top tier loot on the AH before the RMAH came out. How does that not hurt the economy? =/

Ferrio

Banned

Again, that's different. First of all it's a bug, that IS an exploit. Second, it devalues the economy which hurts everyone involved other than the single person who found it (assuming it doesn't spread past this person).

Revoh

It's a real shame but PayPal doesn't support my country (Paraguay, Latin America).
I do have a PayPal account registered with a legit Miami address (my P.O box address that I use to buy stuff from Amazon.com)
Is there a way for me to create a virtual credit card and link that to my PayPal account and then link that to my B.net account?

You're not one of the few. I think botting is cheap and pretty much indefensible from that stanpoint.

It is what it is though ... people will do it. It's like geting mad at someone for speeding, or pulling out/into the carpool lane when they shouldn't.

It would be nice if Blizz made such tactics more difficult to perform though.

If anything, I'm kind of angry at Blizzard for leaving so many easily farmed spots open for so long.

Exactly.

It's not really much different at all. Excess gold devaulues the economey too. Both practices are not part of what standard play entails. It's shady at best.

Though again ... it's a video game. Who cares.

So duping is an exploit but botting is not? I am confused, that makes absolutely no sense to me right now.

Unless I read your original post wrong he has a program running his accounts around making money instead of him doing it. Then selling the gold to a third party...and this is ok in your eyes?

Ultrabum

Botting also devalues the economy, it causes inflation. The 900K gold I have is worth less when an extra 999 billion gold is dumped on the market from bots.

inky

So in non-RMAH related news... anyone know the use for the Black Rock Ledger pages yet? Is there a reason I should hang on to them?

Ferrio

Banned
Botting also devalues the economy, it causes inflation. The 900K gold I have is worth less when an extra 999 billion gold is dumped on the market from bots.

And so does all the regular players playing the game. Duping is artificial, botting/farming is not. One is counterfeiting, one is a sweatshop.

So duping is an exploit but botting is not? I am confused, that makes absolutely no sense to me right now.

Unless I read your original post wrong he has a program running his accounts around making money instead of him doing it. Then selling the gold to a third party...and this is ok in your eyes?

If it was a competitive game, then yes I'd probably have a problem with it since it gives a unfair advantage over other players. Otherwise no, botting doesn't give him any special powers that a player can't do himself.. other than play for a long time. It's not an exploit, it's automation.

This...how the hell can anyone defend the botting using the economy in mind yet not see how the gold selling could be just as bad.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ugh, I need gold GAF. No matter what I do, I can't seem to stay above 1.5mil. Right now I am at 1mil, don't know how to get up higher

LordCanti

Botting defense force....gaf is now complete. lol

After the Incest Defense Force, nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm hoping that the pages (combined with the boat oar with legendary text, but only a blue name) turn into something more.

Wait............what?

And LOL @ anyone defending botting. ANYONE CAN DO IT GUYS!!

I can't find the thread, but it was like "Should siblings be allowed to marry?"

Ultrabum

And so does all the regular players playing the game. Duping is artificial, botting/farming is not. One is counterfeiting, one is a sweatshop.

If it was a competitive game, then yes I'd probably have a problem with it since it gives a unfair advantage over other players. Otherwise no, botting doesn't give him any special powers that a player can't do himself.. other than play for a long time. It's not an exploit, it's automation.

Yes it gives him an unfair advantage because a human must stop to sleep and pee lol

And it will be a competitive game once pvp comes out, and that advantage can be used to make real money.

I think botting is wrong.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
You make money, you report it...lol. Especially when there is no witholding on it.

Stuff like the TF2 economy and this game are going to make the IRS hit digital good hard.

Not a chance.

People have been making money from online games for over a decade.

The high end farmers will be lucky to make a few thousand per year (with some outliers that strike gold or farm full time).

It's a tiny percentage of players. The IRS has bigger fish to chase.

zulux21

So I was wondering if anyone in here has heard of something like this.
I am currently logged into diablo 3, I can log in and out just fine. But if I try to log into battle.net (the website) it tells me that my account has been locked for suspicious activity and that an email will be sent to me.
I've tried now over 15 times, still no email. I have tried account recovery, still no email, I tried the SMS (or whatever it's called that sends you texts) and it tells me wrong code even though I double checked it. I try to file a claim to support, but of course you have to log in to file a support ticket, and finally I called support and they told me if I can't log into my account to go file a support ticket (through an automated machine) and wouldn't let me talk to a live agent because their phone was busy.

does anyone know if this is just some sort of bug, or am I going to have to repeatedly try calling customer support and repeatedly go through their poor automated system and hope I can eventually speak to a live person?

Not a chance.

People have been making money from online games for over a decade.

The high end farmers will be lucky to make a few thousand per year (with some outliers that strike gold or farm full time).

It's a tiny percentage of players. The IRS has bigger fish to chase.

I've seen stories of a few people making over $10,000 in TF2. Like you said, this has been building for years, the IRS has talked internally about taxing digital goods like this. All they have to do is tell Blizzard to send a 1099 to anyone that has sold something for real money. Do I think it will happen tomorrow? No, but I definitely think it's coming.

Ferrio

Banned
[

This is the most illogical thing I've read regarding this game. Unless one can stay online 24/7, it absolutely is artifical.

Except there's plenty of people overseas that'll do this/are doing this. Even if botting was somehow destroyed, this would still happen.

Anyways this conversation has gone off entirely my original point. I Just find it funny that the entire point of this game is to make money (don't tell me it isn't). So pointing fingers at botters as if they're some evil to the game seems hypocritical.. when everyone else has their hands in the pot.

scy

Except there's plenty of people overseas that'll do this/are doing this. Even if botting was somehow destroyed, this would still happen.

Anyways this conversation has gone off entirely my original point. I Just find it funny that the entire point of this game is to make money (don't tell me it isn't). So pointing fingers at botters as if they're some evil to the game seems hypocritical.. when everyone else has their hands in the pot.

I think we're crossing a line when it's outside programs running that are automating the entire process. People actually sitting at their computer and doing the farming is another matter entirely.

Firstly ... it isn't for me. I haven't made crap on this game and probably never will. It doesn't bother me at all.

Secondly, let’s say for a second you're correct. If the whole point of the game was to make money, I would be even MORE pissed off at botters. Now their unfair advantage is affecting me monetarily and not just in some digital world.

As of now, they just slightly irritate me. They're still shady and a dark spot in the community though.

I must be playing the game wrong. My main barb gear could probably sell for $1k but intead i just like killing shit

I noticed my friend's Monk was nakey. I asked my friend how much money he made. ~$600.

Good lawd. Still farming to get past Act 2. -____-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom