• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Attack Speed is insanely good on Monk too, kinda has to be to counteract what a shit class it is by propping up spirit gen and life on hit. Writing was probably on the wall for the stat, I figured when the nerf came it'd be around 50% and lo and behold that's what it is.

Shouta

Well, I'll be damned. Act 2 Inferno actually gave me something sellable again.

x8iFL.png

Also got this on the AH for 500k as a replacement for my IAS/LoH ring, which sold for 2 mil.

kwL5D.png

No IAS at all on my Monk now aside from Enchantress buff. Doing Act 2 with my cousin's Barb is hilarious because we just sit there and don't have to worry about anything, even Belial isn't a threat and can be straight-tanked even though I don't have IAS.

ch0mp

This makes no sense. How are healing effects and diamond skin better if your max HP is lower? Your statement is only true when assuming that there are tradeoffs between resistances/armor and HP when selecting gear. Certainly, tradeoffs like that exist but without the exact math and cost analysis, general isolated statements like that make no sense especially given the wide damage ranges that you can get hit for in Inferno.

It's just like the people in this thread claiming that balancing armor and resists is the way to go.Mathematically, it makes no sense because focusing purely on either armor or resists would yield better damage reduction than balancing both. People make statements like that because they think about it from the cost perspective. However, the cost part of the equation is not clear at all since item values fluctuate quite substantially and it is difficult to pin down the point at which the marginal cost of stacking one resist would outweigh that of stacking 10 more armor.
Why do you say this? All the evidence says keeping a 10:1 ratio gives you more EHP.

Also reddit going ballistic about the IAS changes. People screaming about how THE END IS NEAR AND I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO PROGRESS THROUGH INFERNO NOW WITH MY NERFED IAS and yet they have no clue how big the Inferno nerfs are going to be, so it's way too early to make that claim... Jesus. Someone told me that if I don't play a monk then I'm a piece of shit and should borrow mommy's credit card because I obviously don't understand the nerf.

I... I think I'll stay away from reddit.

I think the IAS thing is a bit overblown. I'm in Act 2 (on the 2 bloods part now) and the only IAS thing I have is 11% (which is low already) on a ring. It was powerful yeah, but if you were overly reliant on it before, you were probably kind of OP and on easy mode. I've seen people playing with really high IAS and it just seems kinda stupid being able to fire off at least 2x the attacks I do in the same span of time.

After getting a higher damage weapon (and a couple of smaller things - 20-30k here and there), Act 2 at least hasn't been that bad. Except for rape snakes. Fuck the rape snakes.

This guy was alot of bad too:

Clearly I did get mangled :p

Getting fast pretty much anything in those sewers kinda sucks cause it's all corridors and there's not much room to kite. Mortar in those corridors is also terrible. Also died to surprise attack electric eels a couple times, sneaking out of the little grates. Even normal versions of those guys could one or two shot me, and there's pretty much no warning. Spent awhile on an elite pack of eels as well earlier today. I would never play a DH in hardcore.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
But they're going to be worth less money now.

I don't know, I think they are going to keep their value. People forget that the jewel tomes alone are worth 500 Gold, and to make Flawless Squares costs 2. So they will likely keep their auction value.

Totakeke

I think the IAS thing is a bit overblown. I'm in Act 2 (on the 2 bloods part now) and the only IAS thing I have is 11% (which is low already) on a ring. It was powerful yeah, but if you were overly reliant on it before, you were probably kind of OP and on easy mode. I've seen people playing with really high IAS and it just seems kinda stupid being able to fire off at least 2x the attacks I do in the same span of time.

Well yeah, those who had a lot of IAS items are also those breaking 80-100k dps barriers.

But it's a big improvement for a single item stat, which is why they're nerfing it.

Chocobro

Inferno difficulty nerfs are going to need to be pretty goddamn significant to counteract the attack speed nerf though, especially for Demon Hunters. I have something like 42k unbuffed damage on my 60 DH and I still literally cannot get through Act 2, and I'm going to lose about 13k DPS with this nerf, soooooo.

I'm pretty sure you can, I went through Act 2 with only 36K HP, no resists, and around 36K DPS (with archery and steady aim). But yeah, after the Attack Speed nerf, DPS is going to drop a lot as I have about 72% ASI in total :\

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This makes no sense. How are healing effects and diamond skin better if your max HP is lower? Your statement is only true when assuming that there are tradeoffs between resistances/armor and HP when selecting gear. Certainly, tradeoffs like that exist but without the exact math and cost analysis, general isolated statements like that make no sense especially given the wide damage ranges that you can get hit for in Inferno.

It's just like the people in this thread claiming that balancing armor and resists is the way to go. Mathematically, it makes no sense because focusing purely on either armor or resists would yield better damage reduction than balancing both. People make statements like that because they think about it from the cost perspective. However, the cost part of the equation is not clear at all since item values fluctuate quite substantially and it is difficult to pin down the point at which the marginal cost of stacking one resist would outweigh that of stacking 10 more armor.

For one, the formula for EHP does actually give the best results at a 10:1 ratio (So 10000 Armor:1000 Resist is better then 5000 Armor:2000 Resist). Its just how the mitigation works.

The reasons healing effects and diamond skin are better if you have a lower base HP but the same EHP, is that they would cover a larger amount. If you have 400k EHP, 20k total normal HP, the 20k version of Diamond Skin absorbs 400k damage, while if you have 400k EHP, and 400k normal HP (Double the vit, lower armor/resist), the same Diamond would only absorb 200k damage.

Getting through Act2 Inferno with 13K HP, 22K DPS, 5K armor and 500 average resists on my Wizard is a riot. If anyone is up for it, I'd love some help once I get to Belial because he's going to destroy me like a little school girl.

Cipherr

I hear about people doing this, but I don't think I have ever come close to doing this. But I guess Barbarians would be much less likely to do this accidentally than a Wiz, WD or DH?

Yeah its more of a range attacker thing. When we are moving and have enemies at the south end of the screen, we have to click down there to fire/attack at them. Where as a melee, you are normally in melee range and mainly click around the center of your screen. In battle things can get hectic and you can easily click on your skill bar by accident and 'snap'! Off goes a skill you need, and your Valor stacks with it.

Hilariously bad design that your stacks dont vanish when a skill is CHANGED but when its removed from the bar..... Very idiotic.

Well, I'll be damned. Act 2 Inferno actually gave me something sellable again.

x8iFL.png

Alright, noone post anymore bow drops, Im starting to get insanely jealous.

Ever since the launch of Diablo 3, this game has my soul. I don't even log in much to GAF anymore!

After viewing this thread, I think I should log in here to at least try to peddle some stuff. All my other 9 character slots are full of junk farmed from Butcher runs.

I have been doing Inferno Butcher runs as I totally get creamed in Act 2. And then yesterday, I tried Act 2 with a bunch of guys, and realised it wasn't so bad after all with a good tanker.

I sold a decent Natalya's Mark ring (+83 dex) for US$100. God bless RMAH! Now...to find a sucke....errr...buyer to buy my Gladiator's Gauntlets (with sucky stats).

Seriously, some of the legendary drops are just terrrrrribad. A friend got 3 Legendary drops in a night (on Inferno mode)...and they were all crap.

Totakeke

Teleporting elite champion phasebeasts pack! Alright I can do this!

... Nope.

Edit: Two elite phasebeasts pack! Someone really wants me dead.

scy

A bit late to this...

It's more that as Mitigation goes up and average damage per hit goes down, getting a greater percentage of your HP back per second is "stronger." Think of it as your regen per second vs the average damage you take per hit. This is a lot more relevant when kiting is involved and you can extend the time between hits taken as opposed to just tanking damage consistently (which is where two different mitigation/HP values with the same EHP are effectively the same).

Edit: Also, as far as Diamond Skin is considered, it's essentially raw HP. So the amount of hits it absorbs is based on your mitigation, not your total HP. 10,000 HP or 1,000,000 HP is irrelevant to Diamond Skin; 10% Mitigation to 50% Mitigation, however, is a different matter entirely.

It's just like the people in this thread claiming that balancing armor and resists is the way to go. Mathematically, it makes no sense because focusing purely on either armor or resists would yield better damage reduction than balancing both. People make statements like that because they think about it from the cost perspective. However, the cost part of the equation is not clear at all since item values fluctuate quite substantially and it is difficult to pin down the point at which the marginal cost of stacking one resist would outweigh that of stacking 10 more armor.

You can plot them if you want. The returns are at their best when Armor = 10 * Resists. It's just the way they work.

+10 Armor vs +1 All Resist are essentially equivalent as far as they stand independent of the other. You're just better off with the two stats being equal than not. 4000 Armor / 400 Resists is better than 5000 Armor / 300 Resists. Granted, it's an unfair comparison but it creates a benchmark suggestion.

Also, it's only technically true that 10 Armor = 1 Resist when your Armor and Resists provide the same mitigation; when they're uneven, you get better returns on building up whichever is lower.

Edit: Worth noting this though, you are right that it comes down to itemization being a bit uneven; you get more +Resists than +Armor. Then again, Armor provides ... Armor. It kind of balances itself out down the road where base Armor with +Armor mods can get the same (or close enough) to the +All Resist that could have rolled on that slot.

Totakeke

Honestly what's the point of having all resists and armor stats? It's just needlessly complicated.

Maybe at one time all those different elemental resists actually meant something

Getting through Act2 Inferno with 13K HP, 22K DPS, 5K armor and 500 average resists on my Wizard is a riot. If anyone is up for it, I'd love some help once I get to Belial because he's going to destroy me like a little school girl.

13k HP lol. I'm more curious as to how you avoided gear with Vitality to get that low. And 22k DPS seems awfully low especially with the level of HP you're rocking.

Inferno difficulty nerfs are going to need to be pretty goddamn significant to counteract the attack speed nerf though, especially for Demon Hunters. I have something like 42k unbuffed damage on my 60 DH and I still literally cannot get through Act 2, and I'm going to lose about 13k DPS with this nerf, soooooo.

Then after the nerf, go back to act 1 and gear up through butcher runs. Not sure why people keep comparing the current place they're at to the same place post nerf. With the repair cost increase, its basically expected that you will need to regress a little bit.

scy

Honestly what's the point of having all resists and armor stats? It's just needlessly complicated.

Maybe at one time all those different elemental resists actually meant something

With the right dodging, you can probably just get Armor and Physical Resist and not notice half the time :x

13k HP lol. I'm more curious as to how you avoided gear with Vitality to get that low. And 22k DPS seems awfully low especially with the level of HP you're rocking.
So what you're politely saying is I have a lot of shit gear....? I honestly think my chest piece and pants are holding me back the most. My chest has 3 sockets, 234 armor and shit stats, but I keep it for the 3 topaz I can put in it.

ZK is slapping me around. Yeah, Belial ain't happening.

Definity

Damn...how long does it take to get funds to show up on your battle.net balance. I added a small amount 4 days ago and still nothing.

Cipherr

Optimist.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Yeah, dodge is not a relevant or even valid form of mitigation IMO. Its just a roll, on of off. Thats just terrible. After the IAS nerf I think DH are really REALLY going to feel the pain of not having some sort of passive always on option for 20% reduced damage of melee/anything the way every other goddamn class in the game has. Or something that increases our resists by some percentage passively, or something that increases our armor by a percentage passively.

Instead we got this shitty short duration short ranged Gloom and Turrets, neither of which can be put up and last a long duration passively like all the other classes can. They are going to need to address that eventually. Really grates me that I could get 700 RA passively and still get my ass kicked in Inferno because I dont have an option for some percentage based passive defense/resist increase of damage reduction.

LordCanti

Damn...how long does it take to get funds to show up on your battle.net balance. I added a small amount 4 days ago and still nothing.

I think this type of thing is holding the RMAH back. This, combined with the buyer not instantly getting their item.

Having to wait to get paid for an item sucks, but waiting to get an item you've paid for must blow.

Yeah, dodge is not a relevant or even valid form of mitigation IMO. Its just a roll, on of off. Thats just terrible. After the IAS nerf I think DH are really REALLY going to feel the pain of not having some sort of passive always on option for 20% reduced damage of melee/anything the way every other goddamn class in the game has. Or something that increases our resists by some percentage passively, or something that increases our armor by a percentage passively.

Instead we got this shitty short duration short ranged Gloom and Turrets, neither of which can be put up and last a long duration passively like all the other classes can. They are going to need to address that eventually. Really grates me that I could get 700 RA passively and still get my ass kicked in Inferno because I dont have an option for some percentage based passive defense/resist increase of damage reduction.

There are builds that are viable, it just takes a whole fuckton of DPS. Even then, yeah, you take a lot of deaths.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
was it confirmed, I know the other night he kept dropping connection. Is that why he's not on right now?

nm mod in stream chat posted an update

He's got a YT video up about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9tkwh7siZk&list=UUeBMccz-PDZf6OB4aV6a3eA&index=1&feature=plcp

He seems to think so pretty strongly, showing how his DL stats are unusually high.

Fake controversy to generate views/interest? Who knows. Athene's hacking faked too? Who knows. I just know that he reminds me of a lot of my friends and he makes some funny and insightful commentary. I also like his attitude and approach to life, despite his vegan heresy :)

Cagey

Banned
It's usually the poor hit box that makes me rage quit.

"Yay I dodged it"
*You have Died*
"FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU"

I agree though. As a DH, every time I have to wait 30 seconds, I lose my mind.

Fucking hate the hitbox in this game.

If I'm standing several in-game yards away when a cuddle bear begins waving its stupid little arms, I shouldn't die because game registered my presence next to the bear when its attack triggered in the code, and I managed to run away before the attack animation begins. Makes no sense.

I think this type of thing is holding the RMAH back. This, combined with the buyer not instantly getting their item.

Having to wait to get paid for an item sucks, but waiting to get an item you've paid for must blow.

You can't even add funds in a timely manner. Had an auction Thursday night with an hour left that I wanted to bulk up my balance in case of a bidding war, it's STILL processing the order.

Definity

You can't even add funds in a timely manner. Had an auction Thursday night with an hour left that I wanted to bulk up my balance in case of a bidding war, it's STILL processing the order.

Yeah, wtf. I went back and read the FAQ and it states 3-5 days for funds to show up. Here I was thinking that was a worse case and that I should see the funds pop up within a few minutes. Hell, I only added 10$ because I seen an item that I could've bought and then sold for at least 50$

LordCanti

He's got a YT video up about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9tkwh7siZk&list=UUeBMccz-PDZf6OB4aV6a3eA&index=1&feature=plcp

He seems to think so pretty strongly, showing how his DL stats are unusually high.

Fake controversy to generate views/interest? Who knows. Athene's hacking faked too? Who knows. I just know that he reminds me of a lot of my friends and he makes some funny and insightful commentary. I also like his attitude and approach to life, despite his vegan heresy :)

Wouldn't his ISP have noticed a 5 day long attack?

My parents opened one of those e-mails containing ye olde "Spam all your contacts with this virus/sales pitch" viruses, and within like an hour the ISP had locked it down, requiring new log-in credentials.

Given that enemies will be doing less damage, how do you know such a passive would eve be necessary post 1.03?

scy

Yeah, dodge is not a relevant or even valid form of mitigation IMO. Its just a roll, on of off.

To be fair, most the Monks are reporting good success with Evasion builds :x But that's at 60%+ Evasion, something a DH will never really reach.

Shadow Power + Gloom can be chained for awhile and the Life Steal on it is still good even with the Inferno reduction. Unless your DPS is just abysmal. There's a few DHs that are reporting fairly good success with Gloom builds rather than Smokescreen ones.

LordCanti

To be fair, most the Monks are reporting good success with Evasion builds :x But that's at 60%+ Evasion, something a DH will never really reach.

Shadow Power + Gloom can be chained for awhile and the Life Steal on it is still good even with the Inferno reduction. Unless your DPS is just abysmal. There's a few DHs that are reporting fairly good success with Gloom builds rather than Smokescreen ones.

The problem is, the second you get caught with SP off, it's death. The same goes for Smokescreen.

That's a very difficult way to play a video game.

Whooter

Same boat. I put $20 of seed money in my account, still hasn't shown up. To be fair, the amount is still "pending" with my bank, too. This was funding via my credit/debit card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom