• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Given that enemies will be doing less damage, how do you know such a passive would eve be necessary post 1.03?

If the damage in inferno is going to be do devastatingly neutered then it will be nigh gutted for the classes that currently do scale well with their percentage based defensive increases. Currently WD and DH are sort of lacking in this area.

But if the inferno nerf is that severe, that such a passive isn't necessary, I'd probably be upset that they over nerfed it.

I don't want a cakewalk, I want a chance for stocking up on ilvl63 perfect roll items in every slot and ceasing to become a class that relies on these 'burn your discipline on these short duration defensive abilities then die when you run out of disc' builds.

Rufus

If I'm standing several in-game yards away when a cuddle bear begins waving its stupid little arms, I shouldn't die because game registered my presence next to the bear when its attack triggered in the code, and I managed to run away before the attack animation begins. Makes no sense.
You just need to be near when the animation starts, and unless you use some form of escape skill to create distance you're going to get hit.
The cultist elites and champions with their daggers are too fast for my WD. I will get hit, there is no avoiding it. Three of my skills are used to create (and keep) distance, and it's still not enough. Soul Lashers are going to be fun.

Cipherr

Shadow Power + Gloom can be chained for awhile and the Life Steal on it is still good even with the Inferno reduction. Unless your DPS is just abysmal. There's a few DHs that are reporting fairly good success with Gloom builds rather than Smokescreen ones.

Even I am having success with it. I just think that defensively we should have an option other than 'Burn my discipline to survive short term' followed by near instant death. Ive got like 600 Physical resist, like 35-38k HP at the moment and 8% reduced melee damage. In act 3 Im still chaining Gloom till out of discipline, then Im in trouble.

This doesn't exactly feel much different than chaining Smoke Screen, just the names of the skills have changed. Id like the option to stack up to 800 RA in exchange for dps and have a skill that increases my resists or armor or something. Any playstyle other than this "woops Im out of discipline! lol"

Shouta

The problem is, the second you get caught with SP off, it's death. The same goes for Smokescreen.

That's a very difficult way to play a video game.

Gotta kill them before they kill you!

I'd actually take a longer Shadow power in exchange for a slight reduction in attack power myself.

LordCanti

The most practical way to play DH most of the time is still to shoot off your screen, hahahah hah ha ha ha... ehem.

I've shot onto my screen before, but that was an accident, and I was really embarrassed afterwards.

I'd actually take a longer Shadow power in exchange for a slight reduction in attack power myself.

I wonder how the SP build will fare after the IAS nerf. Anyone I've seen using it also fires arrows like a machine gun.

Cipherr

I would too! Anything closer to passive. Longer duration Gloom or something man. I feel like a slot machine trying to pop it before an attack lands, or precog a freaking Soul Lasher attacking me from offscreen or some crap. Not every attack gives you a tell tale sign that says "use your gloom now bro".

We need a passive or something longer duration.

If the damage in inferno is going to be do devastatingly neutered then it will be nigh gutted for the classes that currently do scale well with their percentage based defensive increases. Currently WD and DH are sort of lacking in this area.

But if the inferno nerf is that severe, that such a passive isn't necessary, I'd probably be upset that they over nerfed it.

I don't want a cakewalk, I want a chance for stocking up on ilvl63 perfect roll items in every slot and ceasing to become a class that relies on these 'burn your discipline on these short duration defensive abilities then die when you run out of disc' builds.

I dont think the damage nerf is goong to be huge, but i think it will be enough that if indeed youre walking around with 700 resists, youll probably be able to take some hits before dying. At that point the tradeoff of dps for survivability actually starts becoming viable and even LoH will start beconing quite useful. and when they buff life steal (which they've already alluded to), the situation improves even more.

Sure your dps might drop from 80k to 40k but youll die far less often

BLU-82

Friend if mine is having a really hard time as WD on inferno. He managed to get to Act 3 solo but has hit a wall. Whats the recommeneded build for WD inferno? Any tips?

You are like the fourth or fifth of us to do this, welcome to the club!

My suggestion:

- get a decent bow or xbow. Something in the 1-2m range if you can afford it, but if you can't then at least farm up 500k on your monk. This is the most important thing.
- get a cloak with +max discipline and a quiver with +max discipline, dex,and (if you can) some crit chance.
- blue jewelry is the king of starter gear. 60 dex/15 ias rings and an amulet that has 90-ish dex+40 crit damage will last you a long time and is dirt cheap.
- 12% movement speed boots w/ dex. MUST HAVE because without them you will die more than you are already about to die, which is going to be a lot for the first 30-50 hours playing the character.
- gloves - if you get crit chance+crit damage and moderate dex instead of attack speed, it's cheaper and probably more bang for the buck provided you go the above two rings I mentioned.

most everything else is dex first and then vitality and resists. Unless you have a large bankroll you can't build a DH that can take more than one hit in act 3 without a sizeable outlay of cash and still put out good DPS.
Thanks and thanks to the others that replied.
I was actually able to clear act 1 before doing any of this.

After I did this I was able to kite/blow up mobs and elites off screen to Maghda with 4 valor and kill her.

I get one shot if something gets near me.. Now i'm looking for act 2 gear .

This is how my gear changed:
25k dps --> 28k without sharpshooter
37k hp--> 28k
1.8k armor--> 2.3.k
1324 dex--> 1396
22 resistance --> 140
0 life on hit
Max discipline: 45
12% movement
+143 critical hit damage (48% on a 966 blue bow)

For those of you currently farming the hell out of Whimsyshire...here's a new ultra-cheesy exploit for you. This is my new solution for killing the mobs that you used to have to just drag out to the middle of nowhere and leave parked in the corner because they were too brutal to deal with. This will undoubtedly get fixed, but for now it still works.

You may have heard of people using boneweave hauberks to block bosses in. That's been fixed, but a few other items work for this apparently. Someone posted yesterday about Sledge of Athskeleng working for this, and how he was buying them for 20k and selling them for a lot more. I don't have one of those, but I did have a Manticore I found while running around breaking pots in act 4, and my friend told me that supposedly worked as well. Well, I tried it, and it does work:

diablo3-ponyland-ultr30u2c.png

These bears were chasing us and we were going to park them because they had some ridiculous affixes. The tree was right there though, so I just dropped my bow and it worked. Don't know if it works for flowers, but i'll probably try it on the next run

Cipherr

Friend if mine is having a really hard time as WD on inferno. He managed to get to Act 3 solo but has hit a wall. Whats the recommeneded build for WD inferno? Any tips?

WD probably needs help as a class more than any other IMO. Their pets really should not be as useless as they are. I mean, at least DH have the glass cannon option, even after the IAS nerf we can still make that build work because of movement speed, crit and crit damage% stacking and the nature of nether tentacles.

WD on the other hand. I dont even know how some people can stand it. I look at that class and, all they seem to have it stacking insane AP and rocking lolbears or loldarts. And both of those are about to die in a fire with the IAS nerf. Yet very few WD's seem to be crying about the nerf. Or maybe Im just not seeing it.

LordCanti

For those of you currently farming the hell out of Whimsyshire...here's a new ultra-cheesy exploit for you. This is my new solution for killing the mobs that you used to have to just drag out to the middle of nowhere and leave parked in the corner because they were too brutal to deal with. This will undoubtedly get fixed, but for now it still works.

You may have heard of people using boneweave hauberks to block bosses in. That's been fixed, but a few other items work for this apparently. Someone posted yesterday about Sledge of Athskeleng working for this, and how he was buying them for 20k and selling them for a lot more. I don't have one of those, but I did have a Manticore I found while running around breaking pots in act 4, and my friend told me that supposedly worked as well. Well, I tried it, and it does work:

These bears were chasing us and we were going to park them because they had some ridiculous affixes. The tree was right there though, so I just dropped my bow and it worked. Don't know if it works for flowers, but i'll probably try it on the next run

That's so cheesy. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Invite pls

diablo3-ponyland-ultr30u2c.png

Thats hilarious. I really hope they dont patch the tree / horse trap. Even with the most decked out group conceivable, its just straight up impossible sometimes

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm playing the AH game so I'm capable of playing through Act 2... I've been running Act 1 over and over until I save up enough money to purchase an item, it's great fun. lol

Manticore eh? 400k is the cheapest now. Go!

Sledges are as low as 200k right now. I think more people know about the sledge though, not sure

That's so cheesy. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Invite pls

I think we're starting another in a little bit, gonna try to do some of act iv first and see how it goes. We get 5 stacks, clear out the pony level, then put on our mf suits and open all the clouds/pinata. I'll invite you next time we start a game

RDreamer

A few of you wanna level new characters for a while? It sucks doing just 2 people, and that's all public games seem to get to. I'm level 9 now, so join up! Battletag: RDreamer#1621

Jas

Hglil.jpg

Prices for these look all over the place no matter what auction house you look at.

I don't know quivers at all so is this any good?

Attack speed looks good but Dex is low and probably not too many Demon Hunters care about the vit and life %

Totakeke

Hglil.jpg

Prices for these look all over the place no matter what auction house you look at.

Attack speed looks good but Dex is low and probably not too many Demon Hunters care about the vit and life %

Few (2-5?) million I'm guessing, no max discipline and/or crit chance/+skill that people actually use is really the one that stops quivers from being valued a ton more. 5% damage for elemental arrow isn't bad, but it's not a high roll. 19 out of 20% attack speed is really what your quiver has going for it.

It's a pain searching for attack speed on off hands similar to damage, so only people looking carefully will see yours, but when they see it they will think about buying it.

Rufus

WD probably needs help as a class more than any other IMO. Their pets really should not be as useless as they are. I mean, at least DH have the glass cannon option, even after the IAS nerf we can still make that build work because of movement speed, crit and crit damage% stacking and the nature of nether tentacles.

WD on the other hand. I dont even know how some people can stand it. I look at that class and, all they seem to have it stacking insane AP and rocking lolbears or loldarts. And both of those are about to die in a fire with the IAS nerf. Yet very few WD's seem to be crying about the nerf. Or maybe Im just not seeing it.
Well, I have a Barb in Act 1 Inferno and am leveling a Monk as well... So, yeah....
WDs suck solo. The Templar isn't enough to keep shit distracted and the pets are useless, as you said. The Fetishes are decent, but they only last for 20 seconds on a 90-120 second cool down, so you can't rely on them to distract anything for long. They are not that great, Blizzard, why two minutes?

And about IAS... I'm not all that worried. For now. I don't rely on it too much. The problem isn't so much DPS as it is being able to apply it unmolested. Found a champion or elite version of an already quick mob? Leave the area. You cannot out-run them, you will burn through your Mana, leaving you with only Poison Darts and Spirit Walk as you run like a headless chicken, desperately trying to dodge attacks.

Meanwhile, Wizards have a near infinite pool of arcane power... WDs need pets or other players to distract shit for them, that's the long and short of it.

Cipherr

Hglil.jpg

I would hold that until after the IAS nerf. That 4% it has over current 15% quivers might have more value since IAS isnt being nerfed on quivers in 1.03. People will probably value that 19% more post patch than they do now, as some folks will undoubtedly strive to try and make up for the reduces AS% any way they can.

I think thats a losing strategy and crit and crit% will leapfrog stacking IAS, but I think alot of people probably won't figure that out immediately. In that small window Ill bet youll be able to get a TON of money for that quiver post patch.

Unless of course 1.03 also introduces the legendary item buff, and yours gets drowned out by all the *NEW* dead mans legacys that drop and have better overall stats and traits that your 'legacy' legendary has :(

Well, I have a Barb in Act 1 Inferno and am leveling a Monk as well... So, yeah....
WDs suck solo. The Templar isn't enough to keep shit distracted and the pets are useless, as you said. The Fetishes are decent, but they only last for 20 seconds on a 90-120 second cool down, so you can't rely on them to distract anything for long. They are not that great, Blizzard, why two minutes?

And about IAS... I'm not all that worried. I will still be able to kill fast enough (barring the extra health and invulnerable minion assholes...). The problem isn't so much DPS as it is being able to apply it unmolested.
Found a champion or elite version of an already quick mob? Leave the area. You cannot out-run them, you will burn through your Mana, leaving you with only Poison Darts and Spirit Walk as you run like a headless chicken, desperately trying to dodge attacks.

Meanwhile, Wizards have a near infinite pool of arcane power... WDs need pets or other players to distract shit for them, that's the long and short of it.

Its actually good to hear that the IAS wont gimp the class. I never got the impression that they were good from public games. I just keep seeing WD's I group with do amazing damage with extreme attack speeds, as long as nothing touches them. They do their little ghost move from time to time, which I have to assume works similar to Smoke Screen, but either its on a long ass cooldown, or all the ones I see just enjoy using it once, then dying immediately after instead of using it again /shrug. The class is terribly unattractive to me looking from the outside (in terms of Inferno viability). Its the only class I havent leveled to 60.

Also, Im pretty sure I have seen my Monks Earth Ally tank better than WD pets in Inferno lol, how does that make sense? Terrible.

Totakeke

There are some bosses that really benefit from a melee standing in their range so they don't pull OHKO teleporting attacks (damn you Rakanoth) as often. WD should be the ranged class that can fulfill that while soloing.

MrDaravon

I really enjoy having to lose my 5 hard-earned stacks in Act 2 because I'm in one of the story levels (Waterworks) and there is a pack of fast invulnerable molten minions that hound me throughout the entire level even if I pop all 8 of my smokescreens (12+ if my Preparation doesn't count as spent) and get all the way across the entire floor they're still immediately on my ass. And along the way there's two other Elite packs that train on. And I can't even just try to attempt to even kill the leader because after 5 deaths looking exclusively for him he is literally nowhere to be found. I've bitched about this like 10 times here but I can deal with absolutely every single attribute EXCEPT Invulnerable Minions, it is by a country mile the most bullshit thing in this game, it's fucking unbelievable. It is the only thing that has ever, ever forced me to actually reload the game.

Totakeke

I really enjoy having to lose my 5 hard-earned stacks in Act 2 because I'm in one of the story levels (Waterworks) and there is a pack of fast invulnerable molten minions that hound me throughout the entire level even if I pop all 8 of my smokescreens (12+ if my Preparation doesn't count as spent) and get all the way across the entire floor they're still immediately on my ass. And along the way there's two other Elite packs that train on. And I can't even just try to attempt to even kill the leader because after 5 deaths looking exclusively for him he is literally nowhere to be found. I've bitched about this like 10 times here but I can deal with absolutely every single attribute EXCEPT Invulnerable Minions, it is by a country mile the most bullshit thing in this game, it's fucking unbelievable. It is the only thing that has ever, ever forced me to actually reload the game.

That's why it's good to have some buddies for some corpse runs.

Rufus

Its actually good to hear that the IAS wont gimp the class.
There are people that stack IAS/DPS as high as possible, dead enemies pose no danger, yadda yadda, but it doesn't change the play style all that much.

They do their little ghost move from time to time, which I have to assume works similar to Smoke Screen, but either its on a long ass cooldown, or all the ones I see just enjoy using it once, then dying immediately after instead of using it again /shrug.
Spirit Walk, yeah. It lasts two to three seconds on a 15 second cooldown. It's a panic button for when you get swarmed, jailed or frozen. But you also 'leave behind' your real body, which distracts the enemies and lets you run away further, in theory at least. However, if that body gets hit for 50% of your life you become corporeal again. So even those precious two or three seconds of invulnerability can be cut short.
There's a reason most people run around with the passive that essentially does the same thing upon death... Usually you'll die regardless shortly after, but it does extend your life enough to do some more damage, or pull them closer to the checkpoint, so you can at least chip away at them more effectively with each life.

Also, Im pretty sure I have seen my Monks Earth Ally tank better than WD pets in Inferno lol, how does that make sense? Terrible.
Yeah, the WDs Gargantuan has nothing on him... The pets are a joke. But the class is kinda built around hanging in the back, buffing and de-buffing, so they needed to be good, at least for solo players, but alas.

Jas

Few (2-5?) million I'm guessing, no max discipline and/or crit chance/+skill that people actually use is really the one that stops quivers from being valued a ton more. 5% damage for elemental arrow isn't bad, but it's not a high roll. 19 out of 20% attack speed is really what your quiver has going for it.

It's a pain searching for attack speed on off hands similar to damage, so only people looking carefully will see yours, but when they see it they will think about buying it.

Cipherr said:
I would hold that until after the IAS nerf. That 4% it has over current 15% quivers might have more value since IAS isnt being nerfed on quivers in 1.03. People will probably value that 19% more post patch than they do now, as some folks will undoubtedly strive to try and make up for the reduces AS% any way they can.

I think thats a losing strategy and crit and crit% will leapfrog stacking IAS, but I think alot of people probably won't figure that out immediately. In that small window Ill bet youll be able to get a TON of money for that quiver post patch.

Unless of course 1.03 also introduces the legendary item buff, and yours gets drowned out by all the *NEW* dead mans legacys that drop and have better overall stats and traits that your 'legacy' legendary has :(

Thanks Totakeke and Cipherr, yeah I'll probably hold on to it for a little bit and see how the AH reacts to the IAS nerf.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yeah, the WDs Gargantuan has nothing on him... The pets are a joke. But the class is kinda built around hanging in the back, buffing and de-buffing, so they needed to be good, at least for solo players, but alas.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The reason dart builds are so popular in Inferno? Every other DPS option is short range and/or very high mana cost(requiring a lame VQ/cooldown spam build).

Basically it is a jab/agility/cc class. Lock them down, dart in to drop the dots on them, kite, rinse/repeat. Pets are just momentary distractions/DPS buff, even on acts other than Inferno.

What most people tend to ignore is that the real problem with pets is the same problem all "tanks" have in this game. There is no such thing as aggro control/manipulation. Tanks can't do anything to hold focus besides cross their fingers, although monk's vortex(I don't know the real name) is a decent alternative.

Most WDs aren't crying about the IAS nerf because we've been working on alternative builds instead. Stacked spirit barrages(3) on top of GotD doesn't require any attack speed, can be done at 3/4s of max range and is very good burst damage, just as an example. Running solo you'll have issues keeping the elites in the barrage but you can use a pack of fetishes for that, at least every couple minutes. :)

Definity

Is there a link on the diablo site where you can look up all the possible stats on rare items or is that only for legendary items?

Niks

Im lvl 42 monk on inferno, and have 200k.

Can someone explain to me the use of the blacksmith? Should I blow my money on training him? I mean... all the weapons I have bought are from the AH.

What should I spend my money on?

Totakeke

Is there a link on the diablo site where you can look up all the possible stats on rare items or is that only for legendary items?

Only legendaries. Rares are essentially all random stats. I'm sure there's some other sites out there that tell you maximum allocation per stat or something.

Cagey

Banned
So my softcore character is a DH rocking a 1240 DPS magic bow fueled by 25% IAS. Given the incoming nerf... should I just straight up switch to an xbow?

So I just hit lvl 54, and suddenly this happens to my Witchdoctor.

wd.jpg-0019kiod.jpg

I'm not complaining. Stacked some Str and Vit gear, now I'm rocking Hell no problems.

Bliany

Well I just hit 60 and think I might splurge on a solid new bow that would last me a while. Any recommendations on what to look for. I have around 900k right now. Or does anyone here have a good one to sell me? Thanks!

maharg

idspispopd
Blizzard's anti-minion attitude is frankly one of the most disappointing things about Diablo 3 coming from Diablo 2. Doesn't give much hope for necro or druid in the expansion, either.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Well I just hit 60 and think I might splurge on a solid new bow that would last me a while. Any recommendations on what to look for. I have around 900k right now. Or does anyone here have a good one to sell me? Thanks!

socket/crit dmg

Having this weird pathing issue where I run forward but it sets me back a few steps and in order to correct it I have to walk around this "area".

rCIZZLE

Need some help from you DH experts. My ultimate goal is to be able to clear whimsyshire minus the elites with reflect damage and other impossible for glass cannon mods. I only have 1mil right now from upgrading some MF gear to this. I'm doing my best to clear it now so when I get some more gold what should I be looking to upgrade first?

equipt.png

equip2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom