• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I'm starting to wonder if the patch will bring in new players or even make returning players stay

I've been having a lot of fun with the game, but posts like "I can't even play the game unless my room mate is with me cause his char is so much better than mine" are alarming in the way that the game heavily discourages multiplayer games.

I myself didn't bother at all playing with friends of mine in 1.04, before for the most part they were undergeared but my character was strong enough that I could carry a party of 3 or 4 in a multiplayer game and feel like i was most making proggress. The only way I can play with my friends who have less gear than I do now is by lowering my MP, which is a huge bummer on my side, and on their side they have to play on lower MPs because they don't have the gear to play with me.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Blizzard really doesn't have good long-term plan to Diablo 3, seeing that while the new patch is fun for a lot of seasoned Diablo players, I have this gut feeling that for the more casual players it's very discouraging not being able to play with their friends. Anybody have their two cents?
I don't see this at all. If anything ever since the previous patches the game has been more accommodating to multiplayer and group play than single play. It is much better to play in groups. I think they messed up with the whole no MP levels in Public games but I am sure they are working on it for the next patch.

I always play with friends whenever I get a chance to. I don't mind going down 1 level or up 1 level to keep up with other player's gear. If anything I have had more help playing with others because I usually tag along while they are killing stuff super fast and I get mad experience, gold and loot just by playing a more supportive role. If you steamroll through MP5 then having another player in the party isn't going to hurt you that much but it will benefit the other player a lot more. My 1 and only good set piece I found (Zunimassa's Marrow) was because of this awesome group I was in and I was the weakest one in the group. I wasn't holding them back because they were going through content fast anyway.

UK/EU price check please!

Edit: Sold for 56 Million.

d1732fa62226f10ad1998ec1f7fd1685e42b5077.jpg

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
My roommate is a wizard and he kills stuff on MP3 quicker than I kill stuff on MP1. It's almost to the point that if we're not running co-op that I don't bother playing. Maybe at higher level MP barbs can survive long enough to make slow progress, but I'm more interested in efficiency (and I don't care to do WW).

Am I missing something with barbs, or is it only WW that's "king"?

Not sure if it is "most efficient" since I haven't tested all MPs or used some sort of timer for xp/hour for the ones that I have tried but I don't have too much problem at MP6 with a 2hnd rend barb. XP definitely goes much faster than it did in 1.0.4. I'll give mp10 a try for giggles in the next couple of days but I'm guessing I'll need a couple upgrades to make that really work.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/offtopic-1648/hero/2380748

Leap can be replaced by Furious Charge as it can also kick-start Fury generation. Don't think I have any item worth more than 10m.

Im a DH and not a Monk, but still I agree. The fact that its tied to our main stat as our major defense sucks. Casters get Resist All from theirs, and Barbs get armor from theirs (which may as well be resist all). Freaking sucks that we get dodge, and that Blizzard decides to just fucking randomly disable it on certain affixes like Reflect.

I would much rather an improved rate of constant damage mitigation than damage spikes due to 60/40 chances of being hit and poor standard mitigation. Especially since, with the exception of poison pools, we can't dodge any of the stationary AOE attacks. Molten, Desecrator, Arcane and now Relfect Damage are all attacks that our main defensive strength is useless against.

(Going to monk examples again, it's all I know heh)

Damage spikes become exceedingly frustrating for a monk when you consider our healing spells don't scale with total HP. Those guys on act one with the huge maces almost one shot me at MP5 and getting that health back can be challenging.

For me this is only exacerbated by the fact that Bliz seems to recognize this. They feel the class lacks interesting and useful offensive abilities. They want use to move around more. They don't want us to be stationary tanks whacking away. Yet, we really don't have a choice with the way the designed us. To do damage we apply Sweeping Wind (a need to be in the mix), We apply a weak healing spell to give us 15% more damage (also only useful up in the mix), Some use a blinding spell (only useful up in the mix) for some added damage and we spam a mantra. My defensive passive (resolve) works synergistically with sweeping wind too. So one of my passives also relies on me being in the mix to be effective. In the end, all I really can do is be a quasi-tank/dmg dealer that has to spend a lot of money to not excel at either. I'm not the nimble martial artist jumping in and out of battle, dodging attacks and dealing damage that bliz wants us to be.

There's hope though since they do recognize this.

turnbuckle

Not sure if it is "most efficient" since I haven't tested all MPs or used some sort of timer for xp/hour for the ones that I have tried but I don't have too much problem at MP6 with a 2hnd rend barb. XP definitely goes much faster than it did in 1.0.4. I'll give mp10 a try for giggles in the next couple of days but I'm guessing I'll need a couple upgrades to make that really work.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/offtopic-1648/hero/2380748

Leap can be replaced by Furious Charge as it can also kick-start Fury generation. Don't think I have any item worth more than 10m.

Here's my barb
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Turnbuckle-1273/hero/25338934

Hmm, maybe i'm just too impatient. Even doing mp3 with my build seems too slow. Maybe I should stop comparing myself to my friend :p

I have a scorn that's pretty similar, about 20 less dps and 20 more crit dmg. Maybe I'll give that a try.

pompidu

Your helmet is crying for an upgrade. If you got one with a socket and crit chance and the dex still of course, you could sacrifice some of the vit that is on your current one and throw in a gem for the added life % so you would get more DPS without reducing your overall HP.

Gems are dropping in price. Definitely try and get a better gem in your bow for the added critical damage. That coupled with the crit chance on the helm would really give you a boost.

I'm not certain, but it looks like you are using the Templar as your follower? I'd suggest going with the Scoundrel as one of his skills will give you 3% more crit at all times which will again boost your DPS.

With those combined improvements to your crit chance, it'll mean you can then stop using sharpshooter as a passive which becomes somewhat pointless when you have high enough native crit chance. I'd suggest replacing it with Perfectionist which got a massive boost in 1.05 which will mean 10% boosts to your armor/HP/AR while still giving the 10% reduction in Disc skills cost..

Didn't realize helmets could have crit chance. Going to change to scoundrel, templar don't do jack for me. Im going to dump sharpshooter for perfectionist. Thanks for your help.

To add to this: When you get your Scoundrel follower set up with decent gear, make sure the Bow is a cold damage bow with as much dex on it as you can find. Just any high dex cold damage bow, they are cheap because the dps on them dont go very high. Then give him the 3 way shot skill. This way whenever he shoots he fires 3 arrows that slow everything they hit. Its VERY nice for a DH companion, he constantly snares everything allowing you to move and kite freely. Between the Snares from the Scoundrel and your Caltrops nothing can get close to you.

I would also consider the Companion skill to replace Preperation. He tanks Champs now, and boosts your resist all and gives some life regen. I mean it REALLY tanks. Its nice for champ packs because now you just kill 1 of the three ASAP, then kite the second, then run back and find your boar tanking the third and kill the last one for free. With the changes the champs and mobs will always focus on your boar instead of you when theres only one of them left. I think you will find yourself with much less need of Preps 60% heal when you cut the number of champs in a pack by 33% because the boar offtanks one or two each pack.

Definetly going to try this out.

I would much rather an improved rate of constant damage mitigation than damage spikes due to 60/40 chances of being hit and poor standard mitigation. Especially since, with the exception of poison pools, we can't dodge any of the stationary AOE attacks. Molten, Desecrator, Arcane and now Relfect Damage are all attacks that our main defensive strength is useless against.

(Going to monk examples again, it's all I know heh)

Damage spikes become exceedingly frustrating for a monk when you consider our healing spells don't scale with total HP. Those guys on act one with the huge maces almost one shot me at MP5 and getting that health back can be challenging.

For me this is only exacerbated by the fact that Bliz seems to recognize this. They feel the class lacks interesting and useful offensive abilities. They want use to move around more. They don't want us to be stationary tanks whacking away. Yet, we really don't have a choice with the way the designed us. To do damage we apply Sweeping Wind (a need to be in the mix), We apply a weak healing spell to give us 15% more damage (also only useful up in the mix), Some use a blinding spell (only useful up in the mix) for some added damage and we spam a mantra. My defensive passive (resolve) works synergistically with sweeping wind too. So one of my passives also relies on me being in the mix to be effective. In the end, all I really can do is be a quasi-tank/dmg dealer that has to spend a lot of money to not excel at either. I'm not the nimble martial artist jumping in and out of battle, dodging attacks and dealing damage that bliz wants us to be.

There's hope though since they do recognize this.

Breath of heaven isn't worth it for me anymore. The flat heal is neglible. Better of going dashing strike and moving around big damage and LOHing life back. it probably won't work on mp5 and up. I'm not geared enough to try.

Vodh

I was able to sell tons of stuff before the patch, never had any real problems. Now it sems that I can't sell shit...

Also, since the patch I went from 4 paragon to 8 and found one shitty Cindercoat.

Still love the patch, it just seems that the RNG and AH hate me :<

M.D

Finally found a legendary.. it's a shitty gidbinn without a socket. I don't think anyone would even take this shit for free

Talaysen

Im a DH and not a Monk, but still I agree. The fact that its tied to our main stat as our major defense sucks. Casters get Resist All from theirs, and Barbs get armor from theirs (which may as well be resist all). Freaking sucks that we get dodge, and that Blizzard decides to just fucking randomly disable it on certain affixes like Reflect.

Strength is better than Intellegence for damage reduction at endgame anyway. You can get up to 80 all resist on most pieces of gear, but you can't get the equivalent 800 armor without using up a slot for Strength. It's one more reason barbarians are so good.

I don't see this at all. If anything ever since the previous patches the game has been more accommodating to multiplayer and group play than single play. It is much better to play in groups. I think they messed up with the whole no MP levels in Public games but I am sure they are working on it for the next patch.

I always play with friends whenever I get a chance to. I don't mind going down 1 level or up 1 level to keep up with other player's gear. If anything I have had more help playing with others because I usually tag along while they are killing stuff super fast and I get mad experience, gold and loot just by playing a more supportive role. If you steamroll through MP5 then having another player in the party isn't going to hurt you that much but it will benefit the other player a lot more. My 1 and only good set piece I found (Zunimassa's Marrow) was because of this awesome group I was in and I was the weakest one in the group. I wasn't holding them back because they were going through content fast anyway.

I pretty much agree. It helps that the HP scaling is only 70% per player now. If you have at least 70% of the DPS as the person you're joining, then you're straight up helping, before anything else like support skills or helping spread out the damage enemies do (easier to heal when not everything's targetted at one player).

Why they didn't even allow MP1 public games is beyond me. The gap in terms of loot between MP0 and MP1 is so high that no one would want to do MP0 ever unless they're just starting out or trying to clear. At least in MP1 you get the benefit of all enemies being level 63 so you get level 63 rolls on everything.

I didn't even know Plague could be dodged. Not that it matters a whole lot since Plagued is pretty non-threatening unless you're killing slowly.

They should've just let dodge affect everything, and scale the dodge% you get per point of Dex appropriately. I'm not even sure dodge would be broken or anything at the current rate if everything was dodgeable.

They really should've made the health globes increase affect monk healing too. Would've given that affix a nice niche.

Unrelated, I just found a Slovak's Madness. Except it was terrible. I'm playing a wizard and I didn't even want it.

Breath of heaven isn't worth it for me anymore. The flat heal is neglible. Better of going dashing strike and moving around big damage and LOHing life back. it probably won't work on mp5 and up. I'm not geared enough to try.

I'm strictly using Breath of Heaven as a 15% damage modifier. That's it. Dashing Strike is actually a good example of a skill that's ineffective in accomplishing blizzards goal. It's a more efficient use of spirit to apply that one spell every 45 seconds for a constant 15% damage output increase than it is for me to spend spirit frequently to inaccurately dash around doing damage.

I didn't even know Plague could be dodged. Not that it matters a whole lot since Plagued is pretty non-threatening unless you're killing slowly.

They should've just let dodge affect everything, and scale the dodge% you get per point of Dex appropriately. I'm not even sure dodge would be broken or anything at the current rate if everything was dodgeable.

They really should've made the health globes increase affect monk healing too. Would've given that affix a nice niche.

Unrelated, I just found a Slovak's Madness. Except it was terrible. I'm playing a wizard and I didn't even want it.

I didn't know we could dodge it until someone on here corrected me and showed me a video. We do dodge plague. It's why you don't consider plague to be very threatening.

I also agree that the dodge mechanic would be greatly helped by just being able to dodge everything. Maybe that think that would be too OP though? Not sure ...

Right now I'm happy my 11K health globe increase effects potions. It's a pretty darn useful stat on gear now IMO.

Dahbomb

Dashing Strike is actually pretty decent now and you can either use the stun rune because CC is improved or the attack speed rune. It is also the only real get out of sticky situation move that Monks have. Of course I would not replace BoH for it but I can see it on my skill bar.

The other problem with Monk is that Thunderclap is too good. As far as farming effeciency is concerned and keeping Sweeping Wind up this move is a staple. It does solid damage, teleports you to opponent location and does an AOE splash. I am not saying this should be nerfed but the other generators need utility like this too.

I'm strictly using Breath of Heaven as a 15% damage modifier. That's it. Dashing Strike is actually a good example of a skill that's ineffective in accomplishing blizzards goal. It's a more efficient use of spirit to apply that one spell every 45 seconds for a constant 15% damage output increase than it is for me to spend spirit frequently to inaccurately dash around doing damage.

I use the dashing as an extra mobility skill along with thunderclap. I used to run blinding flash and breath of heaven for the damage modifiers too. I'll eventually go back to one of them but playing a monk optimally is extremely boring.

Dashing Strike is actually pretty decent now and you can either use the stun rune because CC is improved or the attack speed rune. It is also the only real get out of sticky situation move that Monks have. Of course I would not replace BoH for it but I can see it on my skill bar.

The other problem with Monk is that Thunderclap is too good. As far as farming effeciency is concerned and keeping Sweeping Wind up this move is a staple. It does solid damage, teleports you to opponent location and does an AOE splash. I am not saying this should be nerfed but the other generators need utility like this too.

I have one skill that I can freely swap out.

Dashing Strike was once used, lashing tail kick was once used and for now I love one shotting mobs with the bell (the knockback is situationally nice too). I like using Blinding Flash when doing Act IV runs to disrupt Diablo. I actually like dashing stike, but feel the skill is missing targetability. I think it would be awesome if it had it.

Thunderclap is also the best LOH proc and best spirit generator. It's got teleport, spirit generation, loh procs, solid damage increase and an AOE. It's also the best thing I've seen for Goblins. It's an absolute must. I also like crippling wave, but it's a terrible spirit generator. I've considered using it again though in MP5 because it should help with reflect damage.

Thunderclap / MoC / BoH / Serenity / Sweeping Wind are all staples with very little wiggle room.

I use the dashing as an extra mobility skill along with thunderclap. I used to run blinding flash and breath of heaven for the damage modifiers too. I'll eventually go back to one of them but playing a monk optimally is extremely boring.

This ... I think Bliz realizes this though and is working on it. I might try moving dashing strike back in to my one free spot though. Fresh things up a little.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Here's my barb
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Turnbuckle-1273/hero/25338934

Hmm, maybe i'm just too impatient. Even doing mp3 with my build seems too slow. Maybe I should stop comparing myself to my friend :p

I have a scorn that's pretty similar, about 20 less dps and 20 more crit dmg. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Odd...my profile shows my dps as 68000 but that isn't right. It is 97k before Battlerage. I think the synergy of rend with cleave is really good. I just Sprint or run into a pack and rend which fills life to full, one or two cleaves to finish off the pack, turn around to face the first pack which has been walking through tornadoes to get to me and one cleave and they frequently all explode. That is at mp5/6. Elite packs usually don't last more than 30-45 seconds if I pop wrath. Not sure everyone's definition of 'efficient' so that might be terrible for some(?).

Cleave is definitely not optimal with stuff that runs away but usually between leap and sprint i can stay on target fairly easily. I'm only about 50/50 on killing goblins unless I blow Wrath which I usually do. In which case its 100%.

Wallach

Anyone help me PC this? I've been away since just after launch and it's harder to gauge the value of Wizard OH with the way the AH lists them:

i5MQmpzjJcGgK.jpg

Vodh

Anyone help me PC this? I've been away since just after launch and it's harder to gauge the value of Wizard OH with the way the AH lists them:

Since the last patch you can actually search for the "Average Damage" on offhands and even sort by your preferred stat (in this case, the average damage). Add the dmg values, divide by 2, put all the other relevant stats in the search box and compare!

(hint: you're rich.)

Wallach

Since the last patch you can actually search for the "Average Damage" on offhands and even sort by your preferred stat (in this case, the average damage). Add the dmg values, divide by 2, put all the other relevant stats in the search box and compare!

(hint: you're rich.)

Ah, I see. Thanks for that, these things were always a pain to try and look up before.

Dahbomb

Mp3 is probably the closest thing to act 3 1.04. Maybe mp2 but definitely not 1.

Act 1 was way lower then act 3 in 1.04 but once you turn up MP past 0 all acts have the same difficulty at that MP level same for the loot table. If you used to farm on act 1 then you can't afford to go higher than mp1.

Vodh

Is mp3 really = to 1.0.4 inferno? I used to do fine in A1 farming but A1 MP3 is destroying me.

In MP1+ all acts have lvl 63 monsters, they used to be lvl 61 in act 1 and lvl 62 in act 2. If you want some of the 1.0.5 goodness without getting your ass handed to you, try MP0 act 2 or 3, you should do just fine and the loot will still be a lot better than 1.0.4 act 1.

On a side note, found an Upgrade. With a capital fucking U.

cjkwB.jpg

Vodh

Cash out?

How is this even a choice lol. Guess thats why the game never gives me anything good, it knows I'll just cash my money out.

Yeah, that's the 'problem' with RMAH. As long as shit stays <10m it's all good, but when you get something like 300m you just have to wonder - do you actually want to spend those ~$200 for virtual items?

of course all my drops and items sold on AH combined together are probably well below 30m so it's not my problem. lol :(((

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
now they should make this game free to play so there will always be supply and demand...for a few months

Dahbomb

My pre-1.0.4 lack of luck continues. Have gone from p29 to almost p33 with about 380MF at a mix of MP5 and MP6 and only found only 3 brimstone quality legendaries.

Patch fail.
Worst luck ever. You are the type of person in the group when hunting for keys... everyone gets their keys at mp5 except you. Dat 50%.

Wallach

That's a pretty good DML. Not sure how popular Bola Shot is with DH anymore as I've been gone so long, but the other rolls look good. Closest one I can find on the AH to yours is up for 30 million, with some similar-ish ones in the 10-20m range.

On the off-chance you're interested I'd trade my Oculus (posted above) for it, my DH gear is covered in a thick layer of dust and I actually use Bola Shot.

HenryHSH

I just realized I'm getting screwed by the AH breaking. Someone bid minimum on an item that's worth a bit... I'm going to end up with 3M... ~250 STR, ~150 VIT, ~65 AR belt (other stats I can't remember). Auction ends soon...

So how are people digging the new patch? Infernal Machine especially? I hopped on for a bit just to test things out, but didn't even complete a whole run. The controls feel so odd after playing a bunch of WoW and Dota and I'm too occupied with those at the moment to make time for D3.

I liked monster power.

Wallach

So how are people digging the new patch? Infernal Machine especially? I hopped on for a bit just to test things out, but didn't even complete a whole run. The controls feel so odd after playing a bunch of WoW and Dota and I'm too occupied with those at the moment to make time for D3.

I liked monster power.

I just came back to it from before Inferno got nerfed originally. It seems decent so far; Monster Power is a more refined version of the old /players scaling and it works really well. Drops are way better than when I first played, though it does seem like just about every rare I loot is junk. I've ended a couple A1 MP2 runs with an inventory full of un-ID'd rares and tosses out every single one.

Still think some of the elite modifiers are shit - particularly Reflect Damage - and the balance of the DH in general still seems kind of bad but it's far removed from the game I uninstalled months ago. This feels like the version of the game that should have gone gold.

Dahbomb

Can anyone confirm that fighting ubers at MP6 has a 60% chance of dropping the pieces?

Cuz I just fought 2 pairs of uber bosses at MP6 with a group and got jack shit for it. So fucking pissed right now.

HenryHSH

Yeah, they're applying a hotfix.

October 18

Bug Fixes

Fixed a bug with the Reflects Damage monster affix that caused it to generate errors and deal no damage when triggered by a pet
Fixed a crash that could occur when Arcane Enchanted monsters spawned their arcane beams in locations outside of the game world
Fixed a crash that could occur when "uber" Skeleton King (in the Realm of Discord) or "uber" Rakanoth (in the Realm of Chaos) teleported outside of the game world
Fixed a crash that could occur when "uber" Siege Breaker (in the Realm of Turmoil) used his Roar attack while holding a player in mid-air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom